used2be Recovered after two decades on ADs and a year of AD withdrawal from Lexapro...

Used2be: Tapered off Lexapro after 5 years on......in withdrawal hell

^  Introduction topic

It’s been over seven years now since I’ve taken any sort of antidepressant, and I am in an infinitely better place these days. I was on all types of ADs over the years, including SSRIs and MAOIs. I even went through Electro-shock therapy in the mid 90’s in a desperate attempt to relieve my intractable severe depressions. In 2008 I finally found incredible relief with Lexapro, and I will never regret taking it, but the withdrawal from it was quite intense and lasted for a good long year. I had sudden bouts of terrible depressive symptoms that would come and go in no predictable pattern. It was an extremely difficult year of withdrawal but I was determined to get through it and manage my depression naturally. Fortunately the episodes got fewer and farther between, and after a year I had complete relief from those episodes. I’m happy to say that I have not been on any sort of antidepressant in many years, and while I do occasionally struggle with tough days, I am doing remarkably well!  

Never give up!

-Cindy

Edited by manymoretodays
Correction in time period on and off meds, added link to Introduction(mmt)

Been on many and various AD's since 92. Began Lexapro, a life saver, in 08. Began taper Aug 13 - Oct 13. Terrible time with the withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you used2be, for coming back to post.

And so happy to hear that you are doing remarkably well now.

I just added the link to your Introduction, at the top of your post.

And Congratulations.  So great to hear you are doing okay now. 

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

(and a fellow Lexapro survivor)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Altostrata changed the title to used2be Recovered after two decades on ADs and a year of AD withdrawal from Lexapro...