Suie: Advice regarding experiencing symptoms after a year from stopping Sertraline

Suie

Hi, I would like some advise, opinion on the following information.

I was prescribed Sertraline in 2011 when I was age 12 following a diagnosis of OCD.

The dose increased incrementally over a period of two years to a maximum dose of 200mg.

In 2016, When I was 17 years old I started to reduce the dose, I did it gradually over a three year period, reducing the dose by 25mg once a week for several weeks and then twice a week for several weeks until I successfully had reduced by 25mg in total before repeating the same cycle.

By September 2019 I had reduced down to 25mg having not experienced any withdrawal effects.

I then looked into tapering strips and purchased these tapering from 25mg to 0 over a 56-day period, in hindsight I was not that knowledgeable of tapering and perhaps should have done it over a longer period. I stopped sertraline completely in November 2019

I was fine until February 2020 when I noticed various symptoms that came about suddenly, these included hypersensitivity to light, sound, my skin was sensitive to heat. I was having trouble sleeping as waking frequently for the urge to urinate. I was experiencing headaches and some sexual dysfunction. I was also experiencing gastric problems, with a burning sensation and discomfort. Most of the symptoms reduced or elevated after about a month. The sleep and gastric disturbance have remained a problem.

Initially the sleep disturbance started with insomnia, unable to sleep for more than a few hours, I was prescribed sleeping tablets for 1-2 weeks supply during a 6 month period., gradually my sleep schedule has changed, I am now able to sleep for about few hours but not until at least 05-7.00 and waking usually around 15.00. I want to change my sleep routine to night time sleep but do not know what to do .I did try to stay awake for throughout the day but this did not help as I was still unable to sleep at night.

I would value any opinion regarding my continued sleep and gastric problems and would welcome any recommendation for dealing with these issues

I look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by manymoretodays
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Suie: Advice regarding experiencing symptoms after a year from stopping Sertraline
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Suie.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are you still on sleeping tablets? Please post more about this drug, along with any other drugs or supplements you are taking.

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up a safe taper.