Positive neuroemotions? Recovery of emotions?

Lexapro88

Hi SA community, 

As I plan to embark on my taper, I was wondering about positive neuro-emotions during WD. I have read various posts about the terrible negative emotions and symptoms one feels during waves and, then, the return to WD normal or baseline in WD. But I was wondering if during withdrawal or PAWS one also gets a glimmer of the positive neuro-emotions such as joy and love as well (the feelings I miss and would like to not be numb too once off meds)? 

Thank you

All the best

Lexapro/escitalopram ( 20 mg) since 2012 

Tried to taper over four month period-starting May 2020-and crashed in November 2020

Hospitalized November 2020 

11/28/2020 reinstated Lexapro (20 mg) and started 15 mg Remeron and 2.5 olanzapine

1/1/2021 Lexapro 20 mg, Remeron 15 mg, olanzapine 0

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Lexapro88

I am sorry to say that positive emotions are not among withdrawal symptoms. Regarding neuro-emotions, one may become hypomanic or manic off the drugs but this soon fades into more conventional negative withdrawal symptoms.

But it is possible that as one reduces the drugs, you might not experience withdrawal or solely withdrawal symptoms but a reawakening of your own capacity for joy as well, as the drug-induced numbness recedes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Positive neuroemotions? Recovery of emotions?
  • 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 6:33 AM, Altostrata said:

Hello, @Lexapro88

I am sorry to say that positive emotions are not among withdrawal symptoms. Regarding neuro-emotions, one may become hypomanic or manic off the drugs but this soon fades into more conventional negative withdrawal symptoms.

But it is possible that as one reduces the drugs, you might not experience withdrawal or solely withdrawal symptoms but a reawakening of your own capacity for joy as well, as the drug-induced numbness recedes.

@Altostrata I was wondering if complete emotional numbness is usually a side effect of psych meds or rather withdrawal? I suppose both is possible - but in your experience, which one is more common? And do emotions eventually return? If so, how long does that usually take? Thanks for your opinion!

Fluoxetine (Prozac) (25mg?) from December 2002 - November 2005 for anxiety/depression

Effexor (Venlafaxine) Retard (75mg) due to Panic attacks from November 2005 until around May 2020 when I started tapering off from 75mg to about 33mg in September. Accidentially missed a dose and naively went cold turkey from around 33mg to zero on 26th of September. Hell broke loose in early December.

25th December: Reinstated Venlafaxine with one bead (0.3/0.4mg) in the evening, proceeding with two beads (0.7/0.8mg)

since 5th January: 3 beads of Venlafaxine daily and nothing else except fish oil and magnesium. No changes in daily routine

15th January - 17th January: 4 beads of Venlafaxine

since 18th January: back to 3 beads of Venlafaxine due to extreme agitation, introduced Ashwaghanda supplement.

Since 23. January: introduced Lyrica to help with sleep/jerks keeping me awake: updosed from 4mg to 8mg.

Since February: 700mg Valerian and 2mg Melatonin for sleep

March: tapering Lyrica again due to side effects.

April: down to 2 beads of Venlafaxine

17th October: Off everything. Braindead, apathetic/anhedonic Zombie.

@Manati, not sure what I would call this but for me withdrawal has exaggerated neutral and positive emotions as well to the point where they have become uncomfortable. There have been cases where I am excited about something small (a board game, for example) and this excitement causes internal vibrations or hand trembling. There have been a couple of times when I have been infatuated with people more than I would before to the point that the feelings have been absolutely overwhelming and at times even nausea and dizziness inducing - yes, that does seem counterintuitive but it has happened. I am not sure if you'd count that as positive emotions as it is ok in the beginning but can get quite uncomfortable very quickly. I guess that is partly hypomania. Such feelings can also get you into trouble (doing silly things) as the exaggeration stops your emotions from being a good barometer of your surroundings and a useless decision support. But then again, emotions in withdrawal can lie when they are bad as well. Ah, how badly this sucks! Not having control over your body and your mind. I guess you could look at it as a learning experience of losing control and accepting it and when you get through it, as an achievement in itself. Acknowledge, Accept, Float is the mantra!

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Administrator

Emotional anesthesia is a very common adverse effect of psychiatric drugs and is also common after you go off the drugs, where it very gradually fades over time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you, @Onmyway, for your detailed description! I do remember this state from early withdrawal. After reinstating I basically feel dead inside, and even miss the negative emotions!

On 3/4/2021 at 6:04 PM, Onmyway said:

@Manati, not sure what I would call this but for me withdrawal has exaggerated neutral and positive emotions as well to the point where they have become uncomfortable. There have been cases where I am excited about something small (a board game, for example) and this excitement causes internal vibrations or hand trembling. There have been a couple of times when I have been infatuated with people more than I would before to the point that the feelings have been absolutely overwhelming and at times even nausea and dizziness inducing - yes, that does seem counterintuitive but it has happened. I am not sure if you'd count that as positive emotions as it is ok in the beginning but can get quite uncomfortable very quickly. I guess that is partly hypomania. Such feelings can also get you into trouble (doing silly things) as the exaggeration stops your emotions from being a good barometer of your surroundings and a useless decision support. But then again, emotions in withdrawal can lie when they are bad as well. Ah, how badly this sucks! Not having control over your body and your mind. I guess you could look at it as a learning experience of losing control and accepting it and when you get through it, as an achievement in itself. Acknowledge, Accept, Float is the mantra!

Fluoxetine (Prozac) (25mg?) from December 2002 - November 2005 for anxiety/depression

Effexor (Venlafaxine) Retard (75mg) due to Panic attacks from November 2005 until around May 2020 when I started tapering off from 75mg to about 33mg in September. Accidentially missed a dose and naively went cold turkey from around 33mg to zero on 26th of September. Hell broke loose in early December.

25th December: Reinstated Venlafaxine with one bead (0.3/0.4mg) in the evening, proceeding with two beads (0.7/0.8mg)

since 5th January: 3 beads of Venlafaxine daily and nothing else except fish oil and magnesium. No changes in daily routine

since 18th January: back to 3 beads of Venlafaxine due to extreme agitation, introduced Ashwaghanda supplement.

Since 23. January: introduced Lyrica to help with sleep/jerks keeping me awake: updosed from 4mg to 8mg.

Thank you, @Altostrata, for your response and explanation.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:03 AM, Altostrata said:

Emotional anesthesia is a very common adverse effect of psychiatric drugs and is also common after you go off the drugs, where it very gradually fades over time.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy