SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Bad reaction to steroid?

alexjuice

I got attacked by a swarm of wasps. My hand wrist neck swollen. Clinic advised me to er. Here at er now. They want to give me steroid and Benadryl.

Any advice?

I told them... They said they could do a low dose. Waiting for shot. And I'm not comfortable. 10-20 stings.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

steroids are risky...if you go anaphylactic that's riskier...

still I would request being observed...tell them you have reason to believe you might react to the steroids...

benadryl is much less of a risk...but all this stuff is potentially problematic for us...

please let us know how you're doing.

sending love and healing energy.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

Very careful hugs coming your way, alex!

Yes, ask to stay there for observation for a couple of hours after Benadryl shot.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I got attacked by a swarm of wasps. My hand wrist neck swollen. Clinic advised me to er. Here at er now. They want to give me steroid and Benadryl.

Any advice?

I told them... They said they could do a low dose. Waiting for shot. And I'm not comfortable. 10-20 stings.

That's dreadful. I'll bet you are uncomfortable, understatement of the year. Let them take the best care. ~S

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Yea. I got the same doctor I got before when I came during a panic attack type deal. She opens the curtain, first thing she says is"I remember you."

I took some Benadryl and asked the nurse to give me a few minutes.

I feel ok other than the swelling, itching and discomfort.

If I take the shot it's gonna be a corticosteroid Dexamethasone.

I'm hesitant because I am obviously cortisol sensitive. I think I don't want to ake a dang gawd steroid.

We will see.

Thanks for the hugs and love.

And thanks for apple... So I can reach out from the damn hospital.

- Zimmerman

Love getting the "there's a crazy in bed 14 with a dozen wasp stings refusing his steroid."

They can go to hell. I am waiting.

It's really just my right ring finger that's pretty bad. I am swollen at the knuckle and bend ability is probably 25% of normal. Right wrist/forearm the other problem spot. Got stung a lot in the right hand area where I was holding my cell phone.

I have no swelling of throat.

My lower back hurts, so does my flank. This happens a lot lately and I am concerned about anything further stimulating adrenals.

You guys are the best, btw. I'd feel a very lonely mutant without y'all.

- Zimmerman

Hi Alexejice,

It sounds excruciating! I hope you feel better and soon! Please keep us posted. :)Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

Alex, I have no advice but I hope you feel better. I can't imagine going through what you are dealing with.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

The doctor isn't interested in monitoring me. They want the bed free. Gonna check my vitals and send me on my way with a paper Rx.

Very stressful... Getting attacked by a swarm of wasps has supplanted being jailed on Christmas as my least favorite downside surprise of the last year.

Thanks again y'all

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

You're in my prayers, Alex. And good for you, refusing the steroid and the snide remarks and doing what you believe is best!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Oh, Alex, I'm so sorry to hear this.

So sorry this happened in the first place, and so sorry that your very valid concerns are being treated the way they are.

Love getting the "there's a crazy in bed 14 with a dozen wasp stings refusing his steroid."

If someone actually said this or something to that effect, write down their name. Try to see a supervisor or someone from the administration now, or report it later.

I once had something unconscionable happen in an E.R. (not related to w/d - it was after I was violently assaulted and brought to E.R.). I should have reported that person. Not to get them fired, but to have them taught how to properly relate to people.

I used to work in an E.R. as well. If you can't stay in a bed there (understandable given how hectic E.R.s get), consider staying in the waiting room or someplace nearby in the cafeteria, so you can go back into the E.R. if you have any concerns about symptoms in coming hours. Stay where there are people nearby if you feel like you might need assistance. Otherwise places like lounges for relatives or even the chapel can be more peaceful. Or the cafeteria.

Glad you tried the benadryl instead of injected cortisone initially. See how you do, then get opinions from other docs elsewhere to get advice on further treatment of the problem from someone at least more receptive to medication sensitivities (whether they take w/d seriously or not).

Hope you have someone like that you can contact already. If not, you sometimes have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince. Key I think would be doc taking hypersensitivity to meds seriously.

I hope you feel much better very soon. Ride out any benadryl reactions; many people in w/d take them to try to sleep, and even if you get any unpleasant reactions, remind yourself that it will leave your system soon.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Are you alone, Alex? Keep us posted, please.

Love you!

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks guys.

I am home. A little woozy after the ordeal and a Benadryl. But feeling better. My bad area has seen huge reduction in pain/inflammation/redness... I was able to sign myself out righty, after having to sign my intake papers lefty due. I am icing right now. Gawd... What an experience!

And, no. Nobody at the hospital said those words. That's just how I felt. Misunderstood and disregarded. They just were not understanding of why I wouldn't want to be shot up since I had symptoms that would be relieved by the injection and for which I sought treatment.

I explained that I was being treated for an autonomic nervous system disorder and I had reason to believe the med presented a risk. Doc said since I wasnt allergic to corticosteroids that I wouldn't have a reaction most likely and that the risk I kept mentioning was minute.

Anyway, I told the nurse I wanted to wait and explained to him my problems with sensitivity. A bit later the doc came back and said no reason to keep me. She gave me a script for prednisone and said to come back if I get worse.

We need to do something about of pest problem. I got stung earlier in the year but it was one bug. This time I got swarmed when I stepped out on the upstairs deck. W think they build their nest in the door crease and we rarely use that door. Guess I disturbed the nest cuz within seconds I could see, hear and feel a swarm of em. I batted one and it died. It was one of those yellow jacket black/yellow striped buggers. I ended up counting 9 to 12 (there were clusters in a couple places) stings. Ouch!

I am glad I exercised patience and caution with in steroid shot. I will fine. Swollen and then itchy for a while but that should be it

Thanks so much for your help everyone.

- Zimmerman

Love you!

B

Just to add. I am with my mother. The hospital also wanted to make certain someone would have an eye on me.

She will be around for the evening. Bless her. I am really lucky my mom is around.

- Zimmerman

Love you!

B

Just to add. I am with my mother. The hospital also wanted to make certain someone would have an eye on me.

She will be around for the evening. Bless her. I am really lucky my mom is around.

So glad to hear that your mom is there with you!! There's nothing like a good mom in times like these! :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

""explained that I was being treated for an autonomic nervous system disorder and I had reason to believe the med presented a risk. Doc said since I wasnt allergic to corticosteroids that I wouldn't have a reaction most likely and that the risk I kept mentioning was minute.""

Famous last words about a drug risk being minute.

See, this is why electronic medical records frighten me. I can't imagine going to an ER and expressing concern about a med knowing that my psych med history is available for the providers to see. God, anyone in this position would be so screwed because all our concerns would be seen as our mental illness label.

Were you in that position Alex? Sorry I can't remember if you mentioned that.

Get well soon.

CS

CS,

EXACTLY - I just referred to the farce of "Protected Health Information" on another thread. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/47-my-doctor-says/page__pid__23990__st__60#entry23990

Another reason I must get out of my area. All of the hospitals/docs/clinics are connected.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

CS,

EXACTLY - I just referred to the farce of "Protected Health Information" on another thread. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/47-my-doctor-says/page__pid__23990__st__60#entry23990

Another reason I must get out of my area. All of the hospitals/docs/clinics are connected.

Holy cow Barb, that is awful. My heart goes out to you.

Fortunately, I have never been an hospital psych patient or in a related situation. But I still worry that any doctor I see might have access to my previous records.

That happened to someone I know. Fortunately, this person didn't have a psych history but still found it unsettling.

• Administrator

They understand an allergy to a drug, they don't understand hypersensitivity.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...

hi everyone

I currently have a chest infection that has not cleared up despite 5 days antibiotics (amoxicillin). I've been back to the doctors and they have given me another 7 days of antibiotics (clarithromycin) and 3 days of steroids (Prednisolone).

The doctor said I shouldn't get any side effects from the steroids as I am only taking for three days however the potential side effects listed in the info is scary and I'm unsure whether or not to take ?

Does anyone have any experience/ advice ?

1999 50mg citalopram / celexa for anxiety and depression.

dec 2007 50mg - 40mg, march 2009 40mg - 30mg, july 2009 30mg - 20mg, aug 2009 20mg - 30mg, sept 2009 30mg - 20mg, jan 2010 20mg - 30mg, july 2010 30mg - 25mg (one 20mg and half a 10mg tablet), july 2010 - july 2013 25mg

July 2013 began tapering down in 1mg increments, dissolving the tablets in water and using a syringe as suggested by Rhi. Had a few hiccups along the way as can be seen in my thread.

End December 2013, now down to 11.25mg.

Dec 2013 to present day still on 11.25 mg. I have hit, what Professor Healy terms, a shelf. I became extremely destabilised when I reduced from 12.25mg to 11.25mg. Only now, after some 15 months am I starting to really recover from it.

What happens if you don't take it?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

hi everyone

I currently have a chest infection that has not cleared up despite 5 days antibiotics (amoxicillin). I've been back to the doctors and they have given me another 7 days of antibiotics (clarithromycin) and 3 days of steroids (Prednisolone).

The doctor said I shouldn't get any side effects from the steroids as I am only taking for three days however the potential side effects listed in the info is scary and I'm unsure whether or not to take ?

Does anyone have any experience/ advice ?

Lionboy, I would be curious as to the answer to Meime's question also.   Additionally, did the doctor explain what adding Prednisone would do for the infection?  I haven't heard of that before so I was just curious.

I don't blame you for being concerned.   When an ENT wanted me to take steroids in addition to antibiotics after a septoplasty as a propholactic measure to prevent infections, I was not happy.   I canceled surgery so the issue become moot.

Best of luck in resolving this.

CS

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies.

Meim, good question !

I was prescribed this medication once before for a bad chest. At the time my chest didn't feel that bad, so I decided not to take them. A couple of weeks later my chest was fine.

In answer to your question Comp, I think they give it to me as I have asthma. I believe asthma can cause inflammation of your tubes in your lungs. In the info it says the steroids are anti inflammatory.

Although my chest feels tight and uncomfortable I think I will just start the antibiotics and see how I am in a few days.

Those steroids must be a last resort. The leaflet lists all kinds of mental problem side effects including thoughts of suicide, hearing voices etc and it says can effect 5 in 100 people !

It must be best to wait and see ?

dec 2007 50mg - 40mg, march 2009 40mg - 30mg, july 2009 30mg - 20mg, aug 2009 20mg - 30mg, sept 2009 30mg - 20mg, jan 2010 20mg - 30mg, july 2010 30mg - 25mg (one 20mg and half a 10mg tablet), july 2010 - july 2013 25mg

July 2013 began tapering down in 1mg increments, dissolving the tablets in water and using a syringe as suggested by Rhi. Had a few hiccups along the way as can be seen in my thread.

Dec 2013 to present day still on 11.25 mg. I have hit, what Professor Healy terms, a shelf. I became extremely destabilised when I reduced from 12.25mg to 11.25mg. Only now, after some 15 months am I starting to really recover from it.

Well, breathing is important. A lot of asthmatics use inhaled steroids which are safer. Are you on one of those?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Yes, I have a steroid inhaler that I use twice daily and a ventolin inhaler for as and when. Breathing is important yes ! I think that the doctors see asthma and think better to prescribe the steroids to be on the safe side.

Good luck in getting well soon!

56 years old

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lionboy - I know this is a rather late reply but have only just joined this forum. I am asthmatic and in May had a chest infection that my Dr prescribed Clarithromycin and oral steroids for. I also take Citalopram. Although some people are fine these meds both stepped up my anxiety/depression levels bigtime and my Dr advised to stop them straight away. They can affect people's nervous systems badly. You may be ok but just thought you might like this info for future reference. Obviously if it was a matter of life or death you would be monitored in hospital.

Hope you are feeling better.

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi Flowers

Thanks for the reply. I took the clarithromycin and my chest is now fine. I elected not to take the steroids.

I suffered no ill effects re: withdrawal etc from the clarithromycin or the earlier amoxicillin that I took.

Did you take your clarithromycin and steroids together ? If so I guess it may be hard to tell which had the negative effect ?

I'm glad you have found this forum, the help on here is great.

Your history looks very similar to mine re: citalopram for 15 years etc.

I am concerned that you have cut from 40mg to 10mg in a few months via big does reductions. It's no wonder you're in a state.

Have you tried reinstating your dose of citalopram instead of adding in other drugs ?

Some of the people on here are better placed than me to advise, have you spoken to Alto, Rhi and the other staff ?

Hi Lionboy - so glad to hear that you have got over your chest infection and that the Antibiotics had no ill effects. You are right in what you say about not knowing whether it was the oral steroids or clarithromycin that caused the heightened anxiety etc. I am beginning to think it could be the clarithromycin because I have just finished a course of them whilst reducing citalopram which has left me in a bad way. I am very sensitive to any drugs though which doesn't help!

I can see now that I was badly advised by my Dr to reduce so quickly and 4 days ago increased the Cit up to 20mgs from 10mgs. I am just waiting to see what happens. I don't want to take the bromazepam the Dr gave me for anxiety but have just taken 1 x 3mg tablet if it gets too bad. Never more than 1 a day because of the spaced out drowsiness.

I am getting very severe symptoms  - one of which is  affecting my balance and the strength in my legs. I cannot get about without the help of my husband as I keep nearly falling over. 

Any help/advice is sooooo welcome.

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Flowers

Sorry for the late reply ! I know how it feels to be hanging on for a response when you are in a bad way so I am very sorry !!

I will do anything I can to help you.

In my opinion, your doctor was an absolute moron to suggest you reduced your citalopram in that manner. Unfortunately many doctors are clueless on ssri withdrawal problems.

In my opinion, this site has all the help and info you will need so you are in the right place.

You may be in hell now and you may have worse to go through, however it will start to come in windows and waves.

Waves being bad periods, windows being a short time of feeling better as if the sun has come out.

The windows may be tiny at first, maybe half an hour etc.

In time the windows increase and the waves become less severe. No matter how bad I have felt, and I've been bad at times, everything improves in time.

With regard to reinstating your dose of citalopram to 20mg, my experience is that you would feel almost immediate relief if the reinstatement where to be successful (i.e the same day / next day).

Once a certain period of time has elapsed it seems that the option to reinstate a dose is no longer viable and changing the dose back up can just make things worse.

I dare say the time period will vary individual to individual, based on circumstances etc.

In my experience, I could reinstate successfully up to a few weeks but not after a couple of months.

You really need advice from Altostrata on this, she started this website and is far better placed than me to advise.

I will message her and ask her to join this thread.

With regard to the bromazepam, I don't know what that is ? It sounds like a benzodiazepine ? (It is, I just checked on line).

That being so, I would advise you to avoid taking them if at all possible. I found benzo's a great help on a very short term basis, however they are highly addictive and if you take them regularly you will end up having to go through benzo withdrawal which is equally as bad as ssri withdrawal. I know that's easier said than done when you are desperate !

Again, I am no expet here. Skyler and Rhi have helped me and really know their stuff on benzo's !

I will message them also for their help.

Hang in there Flowers. You are in the right place and eventually things will improve dramatically !

Hi Lionboy

Thanks for replying - please don't worry about the lateness. I have now since last week increased back up to 30mgs Citalopram which is what I was taking when I felt well. This has made my mood much better and I am not so depressed. However, anxiety and physical symptoms are still hard to cope with. I have learned so much from this site and am trying not to take any Benzo's. However, after taking them for 2 months it has been mentioned that I might already have a dependence. Rhi has been talking to me about this.

Best Wishes to you. 

Ok cool. Good luck.

I'm quite happy to try and help any time if I can,

Alto suggested posting all your information in your intro topic (if you haven't done so), that way more people will see it and you'll get a better balance of advice.

Thanks Lionboy - it's good to know you are there if needed!

TTFN

• 1 month later...

I was looking just now to see if steroid withdrawal would cause something like what we have... in looking I found this...

Clinical consequences of abrupt drug withdrawal.
Abstract

Syndromes due to the abrupt withdrawal of drug treatment occur mainly with adrenal corticosteroids and agents with an action on either the cardiovascular system or central nervous system. The abrupt withdrawal of antihypertensive therapy typically results in symptoms of overactivity in the sympathetic nervous system. Clonidine and beta-adrenoceptor antagonists are clinically the most important of these agents, but numerous other drugs have been implicated. Overall, the problem is small when viewed in the context of the huge scale of prescribing of antihypertensive medicines. A more serious problem is the occurrence of crescendo angina following the abrupt withdrawal of beta-adrenoceptor antagonists. Although other factors may be involved, adaptive up-regulation of beta-adrenoceptor density is the most likely cause of crescendo angina, and renders the patient more susceptible to sympathetic nervous stimulation following withdrawal of treatment. Besides leading to a recrudescence of the disease being treated, the withdrawal of corticosteroids can cause a variety of syndromes. In particular, problems can arise as a result of treatment-induced suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. Another steroid withdrawal syndrome of unknown aetiology, without significant abnormalities of the HPA axis occurring, has been described. Benign intracranial hypertension may rarely follow steroid withdrawal in children. The syndromes associated with withdrawal of drugs which have an action on the CNS are poorly understood. Withdrawal of neuroleptic drugs can be followed by symptoms that resemble those described following withdrawal of anticholinergic drugs, and those agents with the greatest muscarinic-receptor-blocking properties are those which are most frequently implicated. However, the less common withdrawal dyskinesias are thought to reflect up-regulation of dopaminergic receptors during long term treatment. Gastrointestinal symptoms predominate following the abrupt withdrawal of antidepressants but hypomania and an 'akathisia-like' syndrome have been reported. Barbiturates are no longer recommended as hypnotics because of severe effects of withdrawal and the existence of safer alternatives. Short acting barbiturates can be withdrawn by replacement with either phenobarbitone (phenobarbitol) or diazepam and subsequent gradual reduction in dose. The recognition of dependency on benzodiazepines has been slow because of the similarity of mild withdrawal symptoms to the original problem which led to treatment being offered.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3312931

I was thinking perhaps all these types of drugs .. that affect these inter related systems ... are going to cause reactions to any of us sensitized 

I would like to hear others opinions about this. 

peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

We can only be improved if you make our problem be heard and get some researchers to help else we are doomed

I am telling you the truth .Our only hope is to get doctor and researcher involved but I am trying here to raise people awareness but they just are not interested in pursuing a solution.If we don`t fight for our health no body will.

''I''took paxil for 30 days (did`nt felt  a lot of side effects when ''I'' stopped it)

after two weeks I developed the worst headache I ever felt (some sort of permanent migraine, tinnitus..).

after a month of headaches a decided to take another pill to see.I took a pill because i was thinking that it  was may be withdrawal and it caused me a what my doctor called `some thing like serotonin syndrome`` which never improved and caused me severe muscle problems...

in retrospect I know that it was not a serotonin syndrome , my receptor were very stimulated and reacted in weird ways

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy