Sapien: Absolutely recovering from Rexulti & Zyprexa - suggestions appreciated :)

Sapien

Hi All,

I'm taking 4mg Rexulti (mornings) and 15mg Zyprexa (Evenings) and would like some advice from somebody whose been on the same/similar combo.

I've been able to read the basics on tapering (10% every 3 weeks) and think i'd prefer to rid myself of Zyprexa first.

I'm due for a psychiatrist appointment next week, but usually they drop it by a larger dose - sticking to the manufacturer strength and not recommending a compound/liquid form to achieve the 10% rule. I.e. from 15mg to 10mg, then 7.5, 5 & so on..

My preference is to follow the advice of those who have the lived experience of tapering, meaning you guys

However, I do believe I can tolerate a larger dose reduction as I'm not experiencing any major side-effects and am already adhering to the general guidelines relating to healing from any damage caused. I exercise & eat well, meditate & talk to others about normal stuff.

What would you guys suggest? My gut tells me to take it slow this time (have had numerous failed attempts at cold turkey quitting) maybe if i reduce by larger than 10% and give it a longer time between reductions -- would that be the way to go/

Thanks for reading & any advice 🙂

Sapien

Edited by manymoretodays
name to title
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Sapien: Absolutely recovering from Rexulti & Zyprexa - suggestions appreciated :)
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Sapien, 

and welcome to SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences involved.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:04 AM, Sapien said:

I've been able to read the basics on tapering (10% every 3 weeks)

I see that you've started to make some readings here : this is good, you'll have all the infos before starting.

However, we usually recommend to not exceed 10% every four weeks

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

Actyally, it doesn't necessarily have to be 10% : the CNS is the leader here, and we adapt a taper according to his needs in the healing process. Some feel more comfortable with 5% or 3% drops.

My preference is to follow the advice of those who have the lived experience of tapering, meaning you guys

However, I do believe I can tolerate a larger dose reduction as I'm not experiencing any major side-effects and am already adhering to the general guidelines relating to healing from any damage caused. I exercise & eat well, meditate & talk to others about normal stuff.

What would you guys suggest? My gut tells me to take it slow this time (have had numerous failed attempts at cold turkey quitting) maybe if i reduce by larger than 10% and give it a longer time between reductions -- would that be the way to go/

We have a harm-reduction approach here, so we advice to take it slow and listen carefully to your body to see which pace is best. Best to go slow and reamin functionnal and healthy rather than going too fast and experiencing symptoms.

This might help you to understand why we recommand slow tapering

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well :

think i'd prefer to rid myself of Zyprexa first.

You might be interested by this thread

taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first

As you said that you were not suffering from major side effects, we usually recommand to discontinue the more activitaing drug first.

I'm due for a psychiatrist appointment next week, but usually they drop it by a larger dose - sticking to the manufacturer strength and not recommending a compound/liquid form to achieve the 10% rule. I.e. from 15mg to 10mg, then 7.5, 5 & so on..

This sounds like a too fast taper. 

What are you currently using, tablets ?

Please see

tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine

have had numerous failed attempts at cold turkey quitting

I'm sorry you went through this.

To help us give you the most accurate advice we can, and to see all your drug history at a glance, could you please create a signature ?

Please include drugs, doses, dates, discontinuations, reinstatements. Also include supplements.

Again, welcome !

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Administrator

Welcome, Sapien.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:04 PM, Sapien said:

If you've had a difficult time tapering before, you probably should err on the side of caution and taper more gradually this time around. I'd try a 10% reduction to begin with, see how that feels.

Neither your gut nor your psychiatrist know anything about tapering these drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.