SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ciderred959: Tapering off 40mg citalopram due to sexual dysfunctions

Ciderred951

Hi guys, im new to this forum and this being my first post.

Iv been on 40mgs of citalopram for over 2 years now and have been experiencing difficulties with erectile dysfunction, delayed or no ejcaculation for nearly 6 months, met a girl who im serious with so want to wing myself off it.

What would be the best dose to drop to and for how long for until i can drop dose again to be completely free?

I am only 25 so this really isn't good lol

How long will it take to get to my old self in the bedroom😅

Edited by manymoretodays
name to title, moved from relationships forum
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Ciderred959: Tapering off 40mg citalopram due to sexual dysfunctions
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Ciderred951, 

and welcome to SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences involved.

To help us give you the most accurate advice we can, and to see all your drug history at a glance, could you please create a signature ?

This is a direct link to your signature:   Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please include drugs, doses, dates, discontinuations, reinstatements. Also include supplements.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:08 AM, Ciderred951 said:

What would be the best dose to drop to and for how long for until i can drop dose again to be completely free?

On SA we have a harm-reduction approach and recommand slow tapers, we usually recommend to not exceed 10% every four weeks 

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

Actually, it doesn't necessarily have to be 10% : the CNS is the leader here, and we adapt a taper according to his needs in the healing process. Some feel more comfortable with 5% or 3% drops.

This mights help you understand why we recommend slow tapering

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well :

--> Are you using liquid or tablets ? You'll probably find this thread intesresting

tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram

Again, welcome.

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 3 months later...

Hello. I have been taking Citalopram for 15 years and only started experiencing ED for the past 6 months, no problems before then. Has anyone else experienced similar after taking anti depressants for so many years? Any suggestions?? Thanks

• Administrator

Hello, RB. Sexual dysfunction is a very common adverse effect of antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs. Incidence is about 50%. You may be experiencing this as a result of drug effect and your body aging.

This is a site for going off drugs. How may we help you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.