TheUglyWithdrawal: Lexapro Withdrawal

TheUglyWithdrawal

TheUglyWithdrawal

anyone going through this .......

i have been on Lexapro for almost 18 years, went up to 40 mg 5 years ago felt better for a while and it hit me again 

head pressure( brain is not working right, lack of concentration} feels like my eyes are lagging, weakness, blurry vision, nausea, eyes tightness. Did brain, neck, lumbar, mris,  ct scans with angio,  all kinds of blood work , hospital visits almost every 3 mnths.

no answer ,  started the withdrawal process about 17 weeks ago,  not fun at all, daily disorientation, dizzy, balance issues, no appetite, lightheaded, agitation, crying spells, insomia, 

no doctor seem to figure out why. went down to 15 mg  M, W, F, S   AND 20 MG  T, TH, SAT,  FOR 3 WEEKS SYMPTOMS NEVER WENT AWAY,  talked to the doctor yesterday we agreed to take a 10 mg at night and 10mg in the morning . hope it will  help.. 

hope i am making the right decision.  the symptoms are horrible. 

Edited by manymoretodays
Name to title, reduced all caps in title and name
  • manymoretodays changed the title to TheUglyWithdrawal: Lexapro Withdrawal
  • Administrator

Hi, Ugly Withdrawal.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

It sounds like the way you're tapering may be making things worse for you. Please note we don't recommend alternating doses like that, so I'm glad you're being consistent now with 10 mg at night and 10 mg in the morning. Although if this is a drug that's stimulating for you (some people find Lexapro to be stimulating), taking all of it earlier in the day may be helpful. 

You may want to hold and see if you can stabilize for awhile and then taper at no more than 10% a month, based on the prior month's dose (not the original dose).

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please use this thread to document your taper and to ask questions. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Welcome to SA TUW !! Lexapro side effects are a little tough I’ve also had most of the ones you had . I also had dry eyes, dry sinus, dry mouth . The one I hate is like you concentration problems. I’m sure there are more side effects it causes that I have yet to relate. And yes I have seen drs and test for side effects which were negative. Back and forth! I quit going to sinus allergy dr . Most drs know nothing about ssri side effects and withdrawals they only try to give you pills for whatever symptoms you’re having that are actually side effects of ssris. It’s kinda like everytime you go to dr for sinus ear ache allergies they gonna give you antibiotic. I’ve withdrawn from 15 to 9 mgs so far. Once I learned about these meds it really helped knowing what withdrawals and side effects are and when a dr can help or not. Learn everything you can about side effects and withdrawals of these meds. It will help you get through this . SA is full of info! In past when I had bad withdrawals it would take me between 3 and 6 months to stabilize. Keep same dose, same meds, same time and a

stabilization will come patience. Slow steady stable. And acknowledge accept float. The moderators here will guide you on what to do! Hang in there! You are in the right place! 

09/2000 paxil 20mgs, 06/2006 stopped Paxil crashed, 10/2006 progressed back up to Paxil 20mgs, 2012 -2013 Paxil 12 month taper crashed, 09/2013 Zoloft 50 - 100, 2015-2016 Zoloft taper crash, 2016 cymbalta, 01/2017   lamictal , 05/2017 Prozac 20 mgs, 06/2017 Prozac 40mgs, 02/2018 Prozac 20 mgs, 05/2018 Prozac 30 mgs, 11/2018 lexapro 10 mgs, 01/2019 lexapro 15 mgs, 12/07/2019 lexapro 13.75 mgs ,01/04/2020 lexapro 12.5 mgs, 02/08/2020 lexapro 11.25 mgs, 03/07/2020 lexapro 10 mgs, 07/25/2020 7.5mg pill&2.5ml liquid, 08/04/2020 5mg pill&5ml liquid, 08/17/2020 2.5mg pill 7.5 ml liquid, 08/24/2020 10 ml liquid lexapro, 09/05/2020 9 ml liquid lexapro, 10/05/2020 8.5 ml liquid lexapro,10/12/2020 9 ml lexapro,