SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

HealthHopeHappiness: sertraline withdrawal - will the side effects ever go?

HealthHopeHappiness

Hi everyone, so glad I found this website. Have been struggling with terrible side effects since starting SSRI medications in August 2020 due to health anxiety following a traumatic miscarriage in June 2020. Been utterly terrified by my symptoms and every time I approached my GP they denied it was side effects from the SSRIs. A brief history:

Aug 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Signed off work shortly after this. Restless Leg Syndrome became unbearable and had to abruptly stop taking it after 6 weeks. RLS eased almost immediately. 

September 2020- GP switched me to Paroxetine which I took for 3 weeks before RLS worsened again and muscle twitching started in left leg & foot. Told to stop abruptly. Tried 2 weeks of no medication but muscle twitching persisted which fuelled my anxiety more. 

October 2020- GP told me to start 50mg Sertraline. My muscle twitching became more intense and general feeling of fatigue in muscles, particularly left thigh/knee. Developed complete restlessness, couldn’t stop bouncing my legs and felt like my entire body was crawling. GP told me to continue with medication for another few weeks. After 7 weeks, anxiety higher than ever and twitching/restlessness worsening, GP told me to stop Sertraline - either cold turkey or to take it every other day for a week. I did the latter. Took my last Sertraline 50mg dose on 18th November. 

December 2020 - paid for a private neurological consultation as I was so worried about the muscle twitching. Examination was normal apart from twitching. Consultant said he thought I was suffering from RLS & PLMD exacerbated by SSRI use. 

January 2020 - side effects still going strong. Muscle twitching, restlessness, muscle/joint stiffness, tinnitus, tight sensation at sides of neck/throat which make speaking and swallowing harder than normal, panic attacks, insomnia. I have also started feeling what I am assuming is depression as a result of the side effects and constant anxiety. 

I am currently taking magnesium citrate at night to help with RLS. Neurologist prescribed cocodamol to take on nights my RLS is really bad, so taking these as and when required. Also taking iron and folic acid as recent blood results showed both of these were pretty low. After reading some of the threads on this forum, I started taking high strength fish oil tablets. 

I am so desperate to feel ‘normal’ again. I have a beautiful daughter who is 2.5 and the light of my life and I am finding it so incredibly hard to navigate my way through this every day without being overcome with fear and panic. Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thank you. 

Edited by manymoretodays

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

• manymoretodays changed the title to HealthHopeHappiness: Sertraline Withdrawal - will the side effects ever go?
  • Moderator Emeritus

HI, healthhopehappiness.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Have you been off all psychiatric drugs since November 18, 2020? 

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please read through this thread on reinstatement: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

It's possible you may benefit from a small reinstatement of Sertraline.

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Please don't make any changes until we can gather more information about your history. 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in reinstating and provide other information, as well. 

• Mentor
On 1/9/2021 at 9:32 PM, HealthHopeHappiness said:

Muscle twitching, restlessness, muscle/joint stiffness, tinnitus, tight sensation at sides of neck/throat which make speaking and swallowing harder than normal, panic attacks, insomnia.

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I was on Zoloft 2 years with a similar taper. Your symptoms shopping list is the same as mine, so you are not alone in Zoloft WD. My tremors, throat constricting and voice loss all started 18 months after stopping Zoloft and I’m pleased to say have pretty much gone now. Look up Tardive Dyskinesia on this site in symptoms and self care and you’ll see it’s a known Side affect of SSRIs and in WD. I do still have tinnitus but that is also reducing. I hope the fact you only took it for 3 months means it will pass quickly. I found no useful supplements for the tremors but do take Magnesium Glycinate to help with insomnia. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Hi @Shep, thanks for your reply. I think I have added my signature - sorry if it’s not done properly but I’m doing it from my mobile phone. Thanks for sharing the links, I will have a read through them all. 

Yes, I have not taken any Sertraline since 18 November. I am quite scared at the thought of reinstating because I had such severe restlessness and muscle twitching on it and it made my anxiety worse. I am still having the restlessness and twitching now though as well as episodes of severe panic. 

I am taking Propanarol occasionally, only when my anxiety is causing rapid heart rate or when the restlessness is extremely bad, like tonight. I don’t take it daily, maybe a couple of times a week. 

it might also be worth noting that I am sometimes experiencing what I think are windows in the evening - from about 7pm onwards. Not everyday but some days.

Thanks again. 

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

Hi @DaBro, thanks for your reply. I am really sorry to hear you’ve been through such a hard time with WD. I can’t tell you how much of a relief it is to hear someone else has experienced similar to what I have. I have been convinced I am terminally ill because of these symptoms which in turn has made them and my anxiety worse. Glad to hear most of your symptoms have subsided, hopefully mine will too. Did you experience muscle twitches? My left thigh and foot look like they are being shocked with electricity, it’s really scary. 

Thanks again. 

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, HealthHopeHappiness said:

Yes, I have not taken any Sertraline since 18 November. I am quite scared at the thought of reinstating because I had such severe restlessness and muscle twitching on it and it made my anxiety worse. I am still having the restlessness and twitching now though as well as episodes of severe panic. 

The RLS and restlessness started with your first AD, mirtazapine, so you may be very sensitive to these types of drugs. It's possible you never developed dependency on any one drug because you've switched through several drugs over the past few months, so you may be right that it's best not to reinstate. 

15 hours ago, HealthHopeHappiness said:

I am taking Propanarol occasionally, only when my anxiety is causing rapid heart rate or when the restlessness is extremely bad, like tonight. I don’t take it daily, maybe a couple of times a week. 

This sounds safe, but please be careful with the propranolol, as that also can cause dependency. So use as an "emergency only" type of drug. 

Here are some non-drug ways of coping that you may find helpful:

Weighted blankets & bed tents for restlessness, akathisia, insomnia, and anxiety

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

If what you're dealing with is an adverse reaction to these drugs more than a dependency problem, hopefully you'll start seeing some relief that further away you get from exposure to these drugs. If the adverse reaction is worse than withdrawal symptoms, hopefully these symptoms will just resolve on their own in time. 

Thanks @Shep. The restlessness started while I was taking the Paroxetine and just steadily worsened. I was on Sertraline the longest - 7 weeks. Is that long enough for this to be WD? I have been SSRI free for nearly 2 months and I would say I’m having more symptoms now than when I was on the medication - the tinnitus for example is new and a feeling of pressure in my head, almost similar to how it feels if I’ve taken strong painkillers in the past. 

Thank you for the links - I got a weighted blanket from my husband for Christmas! Trying breathwork, yoga, walking, meditations... hopefully they help at some point. 

• Mentor
16 hours ago, HealthHopeHappiness said:

Hi @DaBro, thanks for your reply. I am really sorry to hear you’ve been through such a hard time with WD. I can’t tell you how much of a relief it is to hear someone else has experienced similar to what I have. I have been convinced I am terminally ill because of these symptoms which in turn has made them and my anxiety worse. Glad to hear most of your symptoms have subsided, hopefully mine will too. Did you experience muscle twitches? My left thigh and foot look like they are being shocked with electricity, it’s really scary. 

Thanks again. 

Yes I did get twitches, mainly my lower legs (right especially) and left side of face. I saw a neurologist yesterday and showed them videos of my tremors and twitches. They agreed it was likely related to SSRI and was not an underlying problem. As mentioned, they’ve pretty much gone now, so be assured it’s almost certainly related to WD and will pass with time. Delayed onset is also normal. Hoping it passes for you quickly. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Moderator Emeritus
13 minutes ago, HealthHopeHappiness said:

Thanks @Shep. The restlessness started while I was taking the Paroxetine and just steadily worsened.

I just want to double-check something. It looks like the RLS started before the paroxetine. 

On 1/9/2021 at 4:32 PM, HealthHopeHappiness said:

Aug 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Signed off work shortly after this. Restless Leg Syndrome became unbearable and had to abruptly stop taking it after 6 weeks. RLS eased almost immediately. 

Did you have RLS prior to increasing the mirtazapine to 30 mg? 

15 minutes ago, HealthHopeHappiness said:

I was on Sertraline the longest - 7 weeks. Is that long enough for this to be WD?

Yes, you can become dependent in as little as a month. So technically, it is possible. 

17 minutes ago, HealthHopeHappiness said:

I have been SSRI free for nearly 2 months and I would say I’m having more symptoms now than when I was on the medication - the tinnitus for example is new and a feeling of pressure in my head, almost similar to how it feels if I’ve taken strong painkillers in the past. 

Do you feel you would benefit from a reinstatement? If so, please carefully read the first post in the reinstatement thread:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You'll want to start on a very low dose and increase, if needed. You're likely sensitized now, so that's why we recommend reinstating at a dose much lower than you were previously on.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely.

The above quote is from your signature. You may want to test the waters with a small reinstatement of no more than 5 mg to see how your nervous system reacts. Please note it takes 4 days for your nervous system to register a change and a week or longer to adjust. 

This thread will explain how to make a low dose of sertraline;

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

• Moderator Emeritus
39 minutes ago, HealthHopeHappiness said:

Thank you for the links - I got a weighted blanket from my husband for Christmas! Trying breathwork, yoga, walking, meditations... hopefully they help at some point. 

These are all great non-drug coping skills! Yes, they will help at some point. Don't give up if your symptoms are too severe for you to see the progress you're making by doing these.

Hi @Shepthe RLS got worse after the Mirtazapine but the whole body restlessness, what I assume akathisia feels like, started after the Paroxetine. 

I don’t think I can reinstate, I am too worried it makes everything worse again, although things are pretty bad right now. I’ve been off Sertraline for 8 weeks now. What is worrying me most is the muscle twitching, primarily in my left leg and foot, the muscles are rippling under the skin. I am also having widespread twitches, I woke up this morning with a twitch in my neck/throat and this then sent a surge of cortisol through my body. The side effects make me think something sinister is going on and then I spiral into blind panic. How do I know this is definitely withdrawal? I have been to a neurologist who said everything else seemed normal but I just find it hard to believe that my body can be reacting this way. I know I need to try and accept what’s happening but every time I have a twitch I go into full panic mode, I then end up holding myself tense trying to stop the twitching from happening. It’s a vicious cycle. 

Thanks for your help. 

On 1/13/2021 at 12:59 PM, DaBro said:

Yes I did get twitches, mainly my lower legs (right especially) and left side of face. I saw a neurologist yesterday and showed them videos of my tremors and twitches. They agreed it was likely related to SSRI and was not an underlying problem. As mentioned, they’ve pretty much gone now, so be assured it’s almost certainly related to WD and will pass with time. Delayed onset is also normal. Hoping it passes for you quickly. 

This is really reassuring to hear. My twitching has got so much worse over the last few days and it is making me really panic that something else is going on. With your twitches, could you feel when they were going to happen? I get a slight warning sometimes with mine, like a feeling of tension in the muscle before it twitches. It’s much worse when I’m sitting down or lying down in bed. 

• Mentor

Earlier in my WD I would say I had multiple symptoms simultaneously and  waves were overwhelming and unpredictable. More recently my waves follow more predictable patterns. I am able to sense when I’m going to get a bad night sleep in advance and get an early warning of tremors in my muscle tension as you describe. The tremors follow a predictable pattern too - left eye closes and cheek twitches and mouth droops, sometimes my throat tightens and/or voice goes hoarse,  right leg twitching, right leg tremor, left leg twitching left leg tremor, both legs kicking, right hand tremor, both hands clawing, desire to curl up in a ball, end. Always happens within 1 hour of going to sleep or waking and in bed or in my comfy tv chair. I can normally stop or reduce it by taking a walk. Had one yesterday, first for a week and lasted 5 mins total. Wierd. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/13/2021 at 7:59 AM, DaBro said:

Yes I did get twitches, mainly my lower legs (right especially) and left side of face. I saw a neurologist yesterday and showed them videos of my tremors and twitches. They agreed it was likely related to SSRI and was not an underlying problem. As mentioned, they’ve pretty much gone now, so be assured it’s almost certainly related to WD and will pass with time.

Thanks for your reassuring post, DaBo.

@HealthHopeHappinessI also want to link some posts in these success stories for you about this symptom resolving: 

Arias Recovery - post on TD going away

Kirby's success story - muscle twitching going away

Yogagirl's success story - twitching stopped after coming off Zoloft

You may also find this thread helpful:

Acceptance

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @HealthHopeHappiness  I want to add more reassurance for you.  I had terrible muscle twitching both while taking Zoloft and off of it.  I'm still suffering from PAWS, but I haven't been bothered by muscle twitching for quite a few months.  I'm optimistic that this will pass for you.  All my best wishes, Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

20 minutes ago, arbor said:

Dear @HealthHopeHappiness  I want to add more reassurance for you.  I had terrible muscle twitching both while taking Zoloft and off of it.  I'm still suffering from PAWS, but I haven't been bothered by muscle twitching for quite a few months.  I'm optimistic that this will pass for you.  All my best wishes, Arbor

Thank you so much @arbor. I really needed this reassurance tonight as my twitching intensified today and started in one of my arms for the first time. Also had terrible burning sensation in my arm muscles. So sorry to hear of your experience but so glad it has settled for you. Can I ask, how did you manage to control your reaction to the twitching? Every time I twitch I have a severe panic attack which takes me a while to come down from. It’s like I associate it with dying and not being here for my daughter. I wish I could break the strong association I have with it. 

On 1/15/2021 at 12:33 PM, Shep said:

Thanks for your reassuring post, DaBo.

@HealthHopeHappinessI also want to link some posts in these success stories for you about this symptom resolving: 

Arias Recovery - post on TD going away

Kirby's success story - muscle twitching going away

Yogagirl's success story - twitching stopped after coming off Zoloft

You may also find this thread helpful:

Acceptance

Thank you for the links @Shep. Much appreciated. 

On 1/15/2021 at 12:29 PM, DaBro said:

Earlier in my WD I would say I had multiple symptoms simultaneously and  waves were overwhelming and unpredictable. More recently my waves follow more predictable patterns. I am able to sense when I’m going to get a bad night sleep in advance and get an early warning of tremors in my muscle tension as you describe. The tremors follow a predictable pattern too - left eye closes and cheek twitches and mouth droops, sometimes my throat tightens and/or voice goes hoarse,  right leg twitching, right leg tremor, left leg twitching left leg tremor, both legs kicking, right hand tremor, both hands clawing, desire to curl up in a ball, end. Always happens within 1 hour of going to sleep or waking and in bed or in my comfy tv chair. I can normally stop or reduce it by taking a walk. Had one yesterday, first for a week and lasted 5 mins total. Wierd. 

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me @DaBro it sounds pretty scary for you, I’m glad the pattern is more predictable though. Mine is still very much all over the place and just when I think I’ve come to terms with it, another area of my body begins twitching. I agree about a walk helping though, I never notice it if I’m out walking. 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, HealthHopeHappiness said:

Can I ask, how did you manage to control your reaction to the twitching? Every time I twitch I have a severe panic attack which takes me a while to come down from. It’s like I associate it with dying and not being here for my daughter. I wish I could break the strong association I have with it. 

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness  I hope this can be useful--During w/d I have experienced a strong maternal instinct.  I'll explore that further on my intro site, so that I don't interrupt yours.  I can say, though, that I'm not surprised that you would be having these panic attacks and that they might focus on your precious daughter.  Let me hasten to say that for me this has gotten better.  The intensity has lessened.  I don't experience panic attacks anymore unless I feel overwhelmed--usually by too much stimulus, mainly social.  I found that standing up and moving around helped me shake off the attack when it was happening.  They were so bad in the beginning I would call a friend who had agreed to pick up the call at any hour.  I haven't had to do that for about 18 months now.   Who knows if what I did was helpful, but I'll list some things:  During an attack I tried to remember to breathe deeply with a strong push on the exhale.  I used lavender aroma therapy.  Drank green tea, took magnesium and fish oil as recommended here.  I walked everyday.    Above all I truly believe this will pass for you, but while the attacks are happening, I recommend ignoring all negative thoughts. Eventually, I started repeating "metta" (or loving-kindness) phrases over and over--which you could do for your daughter as well as yourself, etc.  I also found the Claire Weekes technique of "Rag doll" helpful during an attack.  Especially when your muscles twitch, send kindness to your body.  It's perhaps a good sign that your body is working to get you back into health. 

I'm so sorry that you, too, are experiencing this distress.  I'll hold a vision of you free-from-w/d in my heart--💗

I know you will get there.🌟

Arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

On 1/17/2021 at 9:09 PM, arbor said:

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness  I hope this can be useful--During w/d I have experienced a strong maternal instinct.  I'll explore that further on my intro site, so that I don't interrupt yours.  I can say, though, that I'm not surprised that you would be having these panic attacks and that they might focus on your precious daughter.  Let me hasten to say that for me this has gotten better.  The intensity has lessened.  I don't experience panic attacks anymore unless I feel overwhelmed--usually by too much stimulus, mainly social.  I found that standing up and moving around helped me shake off the attack when it was happening.  They were so bad in the beginning I would call a friend who had agreed to pick up the call at any hour.  I haven't had to do that for about 18 months now.   Who knows if what I did was helpful, but I'll list some things:  During an attack I tried to remember to breathe deeply with a strong push on the exhale.  I used lavender aroma therapy.  Drank green tea, took magnesium and fish oil as recommended here.  I walked everyday.    Above all I truly believe this will pass for you, but while the attacks are happening, I recommend ignoring all negative thoughts. Eventually, I started repeating "metta" (or loving-kindness) phrases over and over--which you could do for your daughter as well as yourself, etc.  I also found the Claire Weekes technique of "Rag doll" helpful during an attack.  Especially when your muscles twitch, send kindness to your body.  It's perhaps a good sign that your body is working to get you back into health. 

I'm so sorry that you, too, are experiencing this distress.  I'll hold a vision of you free-from-w/d in my heart--💗

I know you will get there.🌟

Arbor

Hi @arboryour message really means a lot and has already helped me. I hadn’t heard of the ‘rag doll’ before so as I felt a panic attack consuming me yesterday I gave it a try and it helped. I’m interested in your strong maternal instinct during W/D. Every time I experience a symptom I am not worried for myself, I am worried for my daughter as she needs me. Thank you for being so kind, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me xxx

The last couple of days I have really been bothered with tightness at either side of my throat and a sensation that food is stuck when I swallow. I am becoming increasingly anxious about it which then makes it worse. I can’t work out if it is some sort of GERD issue or globus. I am having to clear my throat constantly and my voice is going hoarse. It is making me scared to talk or eat. 

• Mentor

I get this too. First time it happened my wife was so concerned about my choking she considered taking me to hospital. For me it passes in 5-10 minutes so I try to relax and breathe slow and deep. I showed a video to my neurologist who confirmed it was likely SSRI related and not some other condition. Of all my symptoms it’s the most acutely unpleasant but it passes quickly. I was getting it daily but it’s now once or twice a week, so seems to be subsiding. I feel your pain and concern but am sure this is WD related and too shall pass.

Same with the voice which used to happen like clockwork around 5pm daily. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

2 hours ago, DaBro said:

I get this too. First time it happened my wife was so concerned about my choking she considered taking me to hospital. For me it passes in 5-10 minutes so I try to relax and breathe slow and deep. I showed a video to my neurologist who confirmed it was likely SSRI related and not some other condition. Of all my symptoms it’s the most acutely unpleasant but it passes quickly. I was getting it daily but it’s now once or twice a week, so seems to be subsiding. I feel your pain and concern but am sure this is WD related and too shall pass.

Same with the voice which used to happen like clockwork around 5pm daily. 

Thanks so much @DaBroyou make me feel better! Although I’m sorry you’re going through it too. I just don’t understand why this happens, it’s awful. My voice feels really strained all the time and it gives me a headache. It reminds me of when I started teaching and had laryngitis from talking constantly! 

I am really struggling with intense burning pain mostly in the muscles my arms. When I try and lift my daughter or do anything physical my arms burn so badly - almost like how it feels when you have a really hard workout and lactic acid builds up. I feel like I need to lie down all the time - almost flu like. Can anyone relate to this? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @HealthHopeHappinessMaybe the stress of w/d is causing PH problems.  Here's a reference that I had unearthed early-on, if it's at all useful.  A little bit of club soda might help for muscles and panic attacks.  I sure hope these symptoms pass soon for you.  Hugs, Arbor

Lactate is constantly being produced and consumed during brain activity, but if it accumulates in the brain, it will make the brain more acidic. Recent studies have shown that patients with panic disorder consistently build up excess lactate in their brains during ordinary mental activities.May 18, 2010

22 minutes ago, arbor said:

Dear @HealthHopeHappinessMaybe the stress of w/d is causing PH problems.  Here's a reference that I had unearthed early-on, if it's at all useful.  A little bit of club soda might help for muscles and panic attacks.  I sure hope these symptoms pass soon for you.  Hugs, Arbor

Lactate is constantly being produced and consumed during brain activity, but if it accumulates in the brain, it will make the brain more acidic. Recent studies have shown that patients with panic disorder consistently build up excess lactate in their brains during ordinary mental activities.May 18, 2010

Thank you @arbor that is a very interesting article. I have often said to my husband that when I am in a state of panic my body feels acidic, I didn’t realise that it actually physiologically was! I appreciate you getting back to me. I hope you are well. 

Just a little update. I went back to see the neurologist tonight as I am pretty stressed about the muscle twitching, especially in my neck/throat. My clinical exam was normal but he feels an EMG might be advisable to help me move forward, although he has reassured me that he feels nothing else is going on. He actually did say that it was the SSRI medications that had upset my CNS which felt good to hear out loud. I just wondered if anyone else had gone as far as an EMG? The thought of getting it done really worries me but I am spending most of my days in a state of panic anyway when the twitching is bad. The neurologist said that my counselling/CBT is not going to work unless I truly believe the cause of the twitching, I know he is right about that. 

Another update in case anyone ever goes through something similar. I went for my EMG/nerve conduction study tonight which thankfully was normal. This just reinforces what the SSRIs have done to my body. My husband watched as I lay in bed last night with fasciculations all over my feet and legs. Absolutely terrifying. I am so relieved that the EMG was normal but I am not expecting my symptoms to disappear anytime soon. Right now the twitching is probably the worse symptom along with globus sensation and difficulty swallowing & talking. Intense panic attacks also bad right now & insomnia too. 

Hi @Shepi wondered if you could point me in the direction of medical journals that I could print off to give to my GP re SSRI withdrawal? I have compiled a letter and would like to attach some research to back it up. Thanks for your help. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You may want to print this article out. It's from the Royal College of Psychiatry (RCP):

Stopping antidepressants

And here's an article with leaders in the RCP explaining why they wrote that. 

Psychiatry’s Top Experts Acknowledge Lasting Harms of Antidepressant Withdrawal

You may find this thread helpful, from the Journals section:

Papers about prolonged antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

You may also want to get a copy of this book. Robert Whitaker's writings come highly recommended here: 

Anatomy of an Epidemic

Scroll down that page and you'll see hyperlinks for the source documents, including for antidepressants. 

Here is the book trailer video for Whitaker's book: 

Robert Whitaker, author Anatomy of an Epidemic video (11.5 minutes)

Before you meet with your GP, you may want to go through this thread:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

On 1/30/2021 at 10:29 AM, Shep said:

You may want to print this article out. It's from the Royal College of Psychiatry (RCP):

Stopping antidepressants

And here's an article with leaders in the RCP explaining why they wrote that. 

Psychiatry’s Top Experts Acknowledge Lasting Harms of Antidepressant Withdrawal

You may find this thread helpful, from the Journals section:

Papers about prolonged antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

You may also want to get a copy of this book. Robert Whitaker's writings come highly recommended here: 

Anatomy of an Epidemic

Scroll down that page and you'll see hyperlinks for the source documents, including for antidepressants. 

Here is the book trailer video for Whitaker's book: 

Robert Whitaker, author Anatomy of an Epidemic video (11.5 minutes)

Before you meet with your GP, you may want to go through this thread:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Thank you. This is really helpful 😊 

Having almost continual twitches/painless spasms in my neck and throat area on left side. Trying to ignore them and not react but it’s really hard. When I lie down in bed I can hear a popping sound on my pillow from the twitches. Every time I swallow it is followed by a twitch in my throat/neck. It’s bizarre. @DaBrocan you relate to this?! 

• Mentor

Yes I can. In fact I had my head involuntary jerk right to left due to a neck spasm on Friday evening for a couple of minutes. 

I can’t relate to the popping from twitching though, only popping in my head sometimes.

I would say twitching and tremors are rare and mild for me now and only lasts a minute or two, but it was almost daily September to December last year. Shellfish and Spinach aggravated it so could be related to high histamine levels or intolerance?

0 mg Nov 1 2018

On 1/31/2021 at 8:43 PM, DaBro said:

Yes I can. In fact I had my head involuntary jerk right to left due to a neck spasm on Friday evening for a couple of minutes. 

I can’t relate to the popping from twitching though, only popping in my head sometimes.

I would say twitching and tremors are rare and mild for me now and only lasts a minute or two, but it was almost daily September to December last year. Shellfish and Spinach aggravated it so could be related to high histamine levels or intolerance?

Thanks for your reply @DaBro I’m really glad your twitching/tremors are mild now. That’s progress! 

• 2 weeks later...

After a 2 week window where my twitches were lessening, I feel back in the thick of it today. Was sitting on the sofa and felt burning in my right arm, glanced down and my upper arm muscles were twitching non stop, even when I moved my arm. Despite working on accepting the symptoms, this went out the window and I had a huge panic attack. I really thought things were settling down but it appears not. I am due to start back work on Wednesday after being off for the last few months and I am worried that my reaction to any physical sensations sets me into a panic attack while in work. I have a stressful management job and I just don’t know how I am going to manage this at the moment. 

I had an EMG a fortnight ago which was normal, I thought knowing this would reassure me if symptoms flared up again but they just terrify me so much. I am 12 weeks on since my last Sertraline tablet, how can this still be happening?! And how can there be no medical explanation for it. I can tell the neurologist and my GP think it’s all anxiety related. If I didn’t have the twitching captured on video I know they wouldn’t believe me! 

• Mentor

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I took a year off work due to WD and felt ready to work again last summer. When I started working my symptoms got worse, in particular my BP went really high and blood sugar really low. My insomnia get worse too. I think our CNS is fragile and restarting work adds a stressor that triggers symptoms. 

I ended up having to talk to my manager about WD. Fortunately he has a friend who had experienced WD and there’s a lot more supporting information such as NICE guidelines which recognise WD which I shared. I’m still working 6 months later and doing OK and my manager has been supportive. 

So so I don’t think the reaction is a surprise and I wouldn’t panic about what hasn’t happened yet. You may need to come clean with your boss and be ready for bad days, but I’m sure you’ll settle back to your baseline before long. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018