HealthHopeHappiness: sertraline withdrawal - will the side effects ever go?

HealthHopeHappiness

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/3441-surgery-and-anesthesia/

The way to find these topic threads is to go to Google or safari, whichever search engine you prefer.  Then, type in survivingantidepressants general anesthesia and search.  If there is a topic thread for what you need, it will be on the first page of Google results.  You may also see threads of people who have that word or phrase in their posts.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

8 hours ago, Rosetta said:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/3441-surgery-and-anesthesia/

The way to find these topic threads is to go to Google or safari, whichever search engine you prefer.  Then, type in survivingantidepressants general anesthesia and search.  If there is a topic thread for what you need, it will be on the first page of Google results.  You may also see threads of people who have that word or phrase in their posts.

Thank you @Rosettaxx

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

I think I might be going through a bit of a window, my symptoms are still here but I have felt more able to cope somehow over the last day. I wasn’t going to document it here as didn’t want to ‘jinx’ it but I want to be able to look back and realise that there are better days. 

I read an old post on here which recommended Baylissa Frederick’s book ‘Renewal and Recovery’ which I have read half of in a day - I am finding it really helpful  and would recommend it. The book echoes a lot of what is suggested on here, a real focus on acceptance and self-care during WD, and the author gives an account of her experience of benzo withdrawal. My plan is to give it to my GP surgery once I (hopefully) no longer need it so that they can pass it on to another patient who sadly finds themselves in a similar situation. 

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

@HealthHopeHappiness There’s a little bit about anesthesia here…

It’s mostly dental related.

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:34 PM, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness There’s a little bit about anesthesia here…

It’s mostly dental related.

Thanks @SandCastle❤️

I have developed the most painful arch of my foot, I’m wondering if it is plantar fasciitis. I can hardly lift my toes it’s so painful. My calf and thigh feel so tight and are twitching often. Walking is a real struggle and I feel like I am going to develop proper foot drop. I can’t even play chase with my daughter. 

The dystonia-like cramps and twitches/spasms in my left hand are still debilitating too. Its worse when I use my hand for typing or any other fine motor activity. I’ve noticed I grip objects so hard with my left hand too and my muscles end up so sore and fatigued. My window didn’t last long. Losing hope. X 

(((Health))). Don’t worry.  It will ease again.  I know it’s very frustrating.  It affects your mental health in a very strange way, I found.  I’m thinking of you.  Does heat help at all?  Maybe on the foot?

R

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

On 7/25/2021 at 10:37 PM, Rosetta said:

(((Health))). Don’t worry.  It will ease again.  I know it’s very frustrating.  It affects your mental health in a very strange way, I found.  I’m thinking of you.  Does heat help at all?  Maybe on the foot?

R

Thanks @Rosettai am struggling right now. I have tried heat, it works to an extent but the symptoms are just so intense right now. You suffered from dystonia in your hands didn’t you? This is also one of my worst symptoms right now. I am struggling to use cutlery in my left hand, I am gripping everything so hard, like my muscles are contracting too much. Today at work I was typing and it was virtually impossible with my left hand. X

@HealthHopeHappiness I’ve had terrible twitching, buzzing, cramping the last 48 hours and body jerks while falling asleep, which is not a normal symptom for me. We are experiencing unusually high heat where I am, and now I’m wondering if heat or maybe humidity is a contributing factor given that my longest window was in the dead of winter. This is rough, and I know it’s disheartening for you since you were finally getting a slight breakthrough.

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

14 hours ago, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness I’ve had terrible twitching, buzzing, cramping the last 48 hours and body jerks while falling asleep, which is not a normal symptom for me. We are experiencing unusually high heat where I am, and now I’m wondering if heat or maybe humidity is a contributing factor given that my longest window was in the dead of winter. This is rough, and I know it’s disheartening for you since you were finally getting a slight breakthrough.

So sorry to hear that @SandCastleit is so frightening. Do you find you are better able to accept and rationalise the symptoms now? That’s the part I still need to do a lot of work on, I give the symptoms and associated worries too much power which in turn makes them worse. I read back through my thread the other day and that is a common theme throughout it, I am just so scared of the symptoms. That’s interesting about the heat, I would definitely agree that the warmer I am the worse my twitching is which is odd. Really hope your symptoms ease soon. Thinking about you xx 

@HealthHopeHappiness I think for the most part I’ve accepted that this is all withdrawal and will eventually end. I know I have my moments of overthinking followed by sheer terror followed by a calming down phase where I remember how varied and extreme my symptoms have been since the beginning and how I’ve not deteriorated from them yet. Time is definitely a factor in that because there comes a point where you know you would be much worse off if it was something more serious than withdrawal. It was just a few weeks ago that I felt like I could barely move my thumbs to type on my phone and really believed the muscles were going to be permanently shot, and here I am now, typing like I never had a problem with my thumbs. I have to remind myself those muscles wouldn’t have recovered like that in a progressive situation. Reading the multitude of stories on here where people share a lot of the same symptoms helps me cope quite a bit. Sometimes even re-reading the same ones, especially if they’re success stories. I think my expectations were too high when I expected to recover by the one year mark, and that’s why I feel so let down right now. After delving farther into some success stories recently, it really looks like a lot of people recovered more in the 3 to 4 year range, and while that seems SO far away right now, it is kind of comforting to know that I’m not this freakshow outlier that can’t recover even after 15 months. I’m starting to accept that this long path to recovery is more the norm for people like us in this situation.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:24 PM, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness I think for the most part I’ve accepted that this is all withdrawal and will eventually end. I know I have my moments of overthinking followed by sheer terror followed by a calming down phase where I remember how varied and extreme my symptoms have been since the beginning and how I’ve not deteriorated from them yet. Time is definitely a factor in that because there comes a point where you know you would be much worse off if it was something more serious than withdrawal. It was just a few weeks ago that I felt like I could barely move my thumbs to type on my phone and really believed the muscles were going to be permanently shot, and here I am now, typing like I never had a problem with my thumbs. I have to remind myself those muscles wouldn’t have recovered like that in a progressive situation. Reading the multitude of stories on here where people share a lot of the same symptoms helps me cope quite a bit. Sometimes even re-reading the same ones, especially if they’re success stories. I think my expectations were too high when I expected to recover by the one year mark, and that’s why I feel so let down right now. After delving farther into some success stories recently, it really looks like a lot of people recovered more in the 3 to 4 year range, and while that seems SO far away right now, it is kind of comforting to know that I’m not this freakshow outlier that can’t recover even after 15 months. I’m starting to accept that this long path to recovery is more the norm for people like us in this situation.

Hi @SandCastlegosh once again I can completely relate to your symptoms. My thumbs have been my most worrying for the last few weeks/months. I’m still waiting for the symptom to ease so I can reassure myself that it’s WD. 

Your comment about reading success stories and timescales is really sensible. I think it’s easy to put too much pressure on ourselves and expect too much. I know I did as I approached 6 months and now as I head towards the 9 month mark. I can’t wait to read your success story one day. 💕

Well I have had my surgery and spent last night recovering in hospital. I requested no benzos from the anaesthetist which he was fine with. I have, however, had a complete cocktail of strong painkillers these last 24 hours - dihydrocodeine & oxycodone are the ones I remember. Lots of antisickness meds too, also omeprazole before surgery and antibiotics during surgery. So far WD wise I am able to manage my anxiety surrounding this. My physical WD symptoms were aggravated yesterday - especially muscle twitching and jerks all over while lying in bed and terrible muscle pain all over. Dread to think what the next few days and weeks will be like after the surgery and meds. 

One interesting thing was when I explained my reasoning for no benzos, the anaesthetist said he knows of many people who have had adverse reactions to SSRIs and where they have caused more harm than good. 

I now need to find the strength to also deal with the fact that this surgery meant the end of my fertility. IVF is our only option now and whilst our daughter was conceived this way, we always kept hope that we might be one of those couples who had a natural miracle after IVF. Thank goodness for our daughter. X

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through other issues outside of withdrawal. I know it’s hard enough without adding more to the plate. I do find it somewhat promising that a medical professional has acknowledged that SSRI’s are more problematic than most people in the medical field are willing to admit. If more and more people put it out there, eventually there will be no more sweeping it under the rug. I hope your surgery recovery is improving 💕

(((Health))). I’m so sorry.  This must be very difficult.  I can’t imagine.  How are you feeling?  Better, I hope. -Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thank you @Rosettaand @SandCastle. I am doing ok. My muscle weakness has ramped up x100 and I can barely stand or hold anything in my hands. I feel so so weak and fatigued. It mostly affects the left side of my body which has been consistent throughout WD. I am trying to stay calm and not react too much to this increase in symptoms. It’s hard though. I’m thinking about both of you. How have you both been? X 

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @HealthHopeHappiness

24 minutes ago, HealthHopeHappiness said:

I am trying to stay calm and not react too much to this increase in symptoms.

Talk about hard!!!  I'm so sorry you're experiencing this.  I'm not sure there are words that capture the grace you're mustering to get through it.  Maybe we should invent a new word in the same way that "neuro-emotions" had to come into our language to describe the particular intensity of what surviving these drugs entails.  I so look forward to you (and all of us) being free of this ordeal, HealthHopeHapiness. (Maybe HHH is my new word for your incredible fortitude.)  Thank you for sharing it--

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

Things are terrible right now. Really really intense wave. Twitching everywhere and awful muscle pain. Convinced something else is wrong. My grandfather passed away on Thursday night too. Trying to recover from my surgery and the meds I was given. I feel like I’m dying. X

• Moderator Emeritus

All my best to you @HealthHopeHappiness as you go through this incredibly challenging time.🙏

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

@HealthHopeHappiness I hate to hear that you’re having a hard time again. I read through your whole thread (I know, stalker 😆) and I saw that you have had a few small windows and a few improvements in symptoms and that’s a great sign that things will get better, even though they’ve worsened and are unimaginable right now. I’ve thought it was all over at different times too. I remember probably September/October of last year thinking that I would be dead or completely disabled by Christmas and that my husband would run away with this one pretty but mean lady at my kids’ daycare and she would make my kids’ lives miserable and there would be nothing I could do about it. It’s amazing what comes to mind when you’re in the throes of terror, and given that there’s no blood test to tell you you’re just in withdrawal, it can also be very hard to accept that’s what’s going on. There’s not a lot that really pulls you out of it when things reach peak difficulty, to be honest. I think surgery and meds, on top of losing a loved one, is going to be one of those things that tosses you into the most difficult part of this journey, and you may have to ride the wave for a little while. But this also may be the thing that brought you so low down that you won’t have any choice but to realize things are actually getting better for you in the near future. I’m really hoping it’s sooner rather than later for you. 

23 hours ago, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness I hate to hear that you’re having a hard time again. I read through your whole thread (I know, stalker 😆) and I saw that you have had a few small windows and a few improvements in symptoms and that’s a great sign that things will get better, even though they’ve worsened and are unimaginable right now. I’ve thought it was all over at different times too. I remember probably September/October of last year thinking that I would be dead or completely disabled by Christmas and that my husband would run away with this one pretty but mean lady at my kids’ daycare and she would make my kids’ lives miserable and there would be nothing I could do about it. It’s amazing what comes to mind when you’re in the throes of terror, and given that there’s no blood test to tell you you’re just in withdrawal, it can also be very hard to accept that’s what’s going on. There’s not a lot that really pulls you out of it when things reach peak difficulty, to be honest. I think surgery and meds, on top of losing a loved one, is going to be one of those things that tosses you into the most difficult part of this journey, and you may have to ride the wave for a little while. But this also may be the thing that brought you so low down that you won’t have any choice but to realize things are actually getting better for you in the near future. I’m really hoping it’s sooner rather than later for you. 

@SandCastleyou have no idea what this message meant to me last night as I lay awake in a state of panic at 4am. Thank you. 💕

(((Health))).  I’m sorry about your grandfather.  My condolences.  

You will get better.  It’s a slow process.  Someday, all of this misery will be behind you.

Risetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• 2 weeks later...

9 month update. Wish I could give a more positive one. I am still in the midst of a horrific wave. Physical symptoms are 10/10 - all the familiar ones like muscle twitching, weakness, tremors, pins & needles, etc. Newest symptom is what I assume to be tardive dyskinesia - for the last 2 days I have developed an almost constant twitch on the left side of my face below my eye on my cheek. It is very obvious for everyone to see. Earlier in the week it was at the left side of my nose and again very obvious. The dystonia in my hand is also very bad and I struggle to use my left hand for typing, etc. Left foot and leg feel very weak still. Mentally I am struggling with constant anxiety and panic. Still managing to go to work & care for my daughter but I am running on empty. I am still recovering from my surgery, had to abruptly wean my daughter from breastfeeding because of the surgery, my grandfather died and work is very busy & stressful. But I am grateful that I am able to go to work and care for my daughter & grateful for the support of my husband and family. As each day passes by I just can’t imagine ever not feeling like this. I miss the old me. 

Return of a previous symptom last night and today - intense burning pain in my arms accompanied by rapid twitching of my arm muscles. The pain is so bad. Tempted to take some leftover codeine from my surgery but trying to ride it out. 

(((Health))). Yes, try not to take codeine.  That is really not the right thing to take.  You should toss that out.  

Can you use heat?  There are disposable patches that stick to the skin and give you 6-8 hours of heat.  It worked for me.  The microwaveable hearing pads didn’t do much for the dystonia.  They help with other muscles aches.  For dystonia, I needed continuous heat.  It dies not have to go on the spot that hurts.  Putting the latch on my forearm helped my eye, head, neck, shoulder, etc.  Weird, but true, time and again,

I hope you feel better soon.

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I just wanted to check in to see how you’re doing now.

16 hours ago, SandCastle said:

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I just wanted to check in to see how you’re doing now.

I am much the same, thanks for asking. All the same symptoms remain unfortunately. It’s relentless. How have you been recently? X

On 8/23/2021 at 10:01 PM, Rosetta said:

(((Health))). Yes, try not to take codeine.  That is really not the right thing to take.  You should toss that out.  

Can you use heat?  There are disposable patches that stick to the skin and give you 6-8 hours of heat.  It worked for me.  The microwaveable hearing pads didn’t do much for the dystonia.  They help with other muscles aches.  For dystonia, I needed continuous heat.  It dies not have to go on the spot that hurts.  Putting the latch on my forearm helped my eye, head, neck, shoulder, etc.  Weird, but true, time and again,

I hope you feel better soon.

Rosetta

Thank you. I did get heat patches after you recommended them previously. I will need to get more. How have you been doing? X

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m sorry to hear that. I’m also doing the same with minimal improvements. It’s very frustrating.

On 9/1/2021 at 2:17 PM, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m sorry to hear that. I’m also doing the same with minimal improvements. It’s very frustrating.

I’m so sorry @SandCastle that is really unfair and frustrating. Do your symptoms remain the same as before? X 

@HealthHopeHappiness Yes, pretty much the same with the twitching and jelly like muscles. I also feel like I have loose joints again, but my back pain is way better. I’m getting some (very little) hope because I’ll have a good every 10 to 12 days or so. Just wish I knew what set off this wave so I can avoid it in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

My worst symptom right now is my left hand. I have the strangest sensation of tension, weakness & feeling like the muscles are moving themselves.  The most troublesome part is the constant need to clench my hand in a fist. Like 24/7. It’s horrendous and very obvious too, my family keep commenting on why I’m doing it. When I uncurl my hand I have nail marks on my palm and the skin is all creased and dry. I can hardly type on my laptop or use the hand, it is my non dominant side. Does this sound like dystonia? I am having constant intrusive thoughts about it being a neurological disease. I am exhausted and like a shell of my former self. 

All of my other muscular symptoms remain. Nothing is improving. 

@HealthHopeHappiness How are your symptoms when you are pretty distracted? Do you still have slurred speech or restless legs? Trying to look for anything that may have improved even though it feels like everything has worsened…

On 9/19/2021 at 11:18 PM, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness How are your symptoms when you are pretty distracted? Do you still have slurred speech or restless legs? Trying to look for anything that may have improved even though it feels like everything has worsened…

Hi @SandCastlethank you for replying. My twitching and other muscle symptoms are there 24/7, even when distracted in work, I am just more able to ‘accept’ them at those points because in those situations, I need to really. Restless legs comes and goes as does slurred speech. The slurred speech has been worse again recently with tongue spasms, which aren’t painful, just odd. How have you been recently? X 

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m glad you have things that come and go, but I know it would be better if they’d just go. Sorry to hear that the rest is still going strong. I’m doing about the same right now. Lots of twitching and weird muscle feelings. I had one good symptom-free night and one good morning about two days later but woke up today with all my symptoms again. I’m running out of things to try and am just living with it right now. Wishing you a nice break soon 💕

On 9/25/2021 at 11:21 AM, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m glad you have things that come and go, but I know it would be better if they’d just go. Sorry to hear that the rest is still going strong. I’m doing about the same right now. Lots of twitching and weird muscle feelings. I had one good symptom-free night and one good morning about two days later but woke up today with all my symptoms again. I’m running out of things to try and am just living with it right now. Wishing you a nice break soon 💕

Wishing you a window soon too, @SandCastle. You really are having an awful time of it too. 💕