HealthHopeHappiness: sertraline withdrawal - will the side effects ever go?

HealthHopeHappiness

How are you doing lately @HealthHopeHappiness?

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

18 hours ago, SandCastle said:

How are you doing lately @HealthHopeHappiness?

Hi @SandCastleI am up and down to be honest. Still much the same, have had a terrible cough for 3 weeks and this has made my WD symptoms even worse. My eye twitching has been better so that’s a positive. I have been very worried about my ongoing gynae issues, much like yourself, and the waiting involved with having biopsies taken and waiting for my ultrasound appointment. Can I ask, what has your pelvic pain been like? Has it been one sided, or all over?

How are you doing? 💞

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m so glad you’re eye twitching has improved. I definitely find some comfort in the little wins! With the pelvic pain, I could feel it all over. There were moments where I’d feel a pain on one side, but that was a different kind of pain, more like a quick stabbing that would disappear almost immediately. The thing that really drove me to make an appointment was the kind of pain that felt like period pains/cramps that would happen almost daily throughout the month. It felt just like it does in those two days or so right before that time of the month, but it was happening all the time. I was really worried that it could be some kind of tumor, but in the weeks before my appointment, I started to think it was endometriosis (not as bad but not something I want). When they scheduled the follow up for 10 days later, I was relieved because I didn’t think they would wait that long to give me really bad news. The pain has died down tremendously since getting the results, so maybe the stress relief of getting actual answers has helped?? But I also think sometimes I get relief from one issue only to start focusing on another one ☹️. Do you already have a follow up scheduled from your biopsy? I’m thinking since they haven’t called and asked you to come in earlier, it should be good news 🤞

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

On 6/9/2022 at 3:38 AM, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m so glad you’re eye twitching has improved. I definitely find some comfort in the little wins! With the pelvic pain, I could feel it all over. There were moments where I’d feel a pain on one side, but that was a different kind of pain, more like a quick stabbing that would disappear almost immediately. The thing that really drove me to make an appointment was the kind of pain that felt like period pains/cramps that would happen almost daily throughout the month. It felt just like it does in those two days or so right before that time of the month, but it was happening all the time. I was really worried that it could be some kind of tumor, but in the weeks before my appointment, I started to think it was endometriosis (not as bad but not something I want). When they scheduled the follow up for 10 days later, I was relieved because I didn’t think they would wait that long to give me really bad news. The pain has died down tremendously since getting the results, so maybe the stress relief of getting actual answers has helped?? But I also think sometimes I get relief from one issue only to start focusing on another one ☹️. Do you already have a follow up scheduled from your biopsy? I’m thinking since they haven’t called and asked you to come in earlier, it should be good news 🤞

Thanks @SandCastle I hope no news is good news. Although things are so bad in the UK with the NHS and waiting times are insane. I phoned about my ultrasound and it’s a 14 month wait so I’ve booked a private scan for later this week. 

Did you ever suffer from IBS type symptoms during WD? I have been unable to eat for the last week or so, have lots of bloating and I can actually feel the gas accumulating in my stomach in the form of lumps that disappear when I massage them. It’s like my bowels are spasming just like the other muscles in my body. At the weekend I could feel my bowels twitching/spasming. It’s really worrying me. My digestive system is all over the place with either an upset stomach or constipation. I’m trying to drink plenty of water and drinking peppermint tea as well. Have had to take Buscopan a few times when the spasms are really bad. 

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

Updating for my records. Paid for a private ultrasound today and to my absolute shock, nothing was found which could be causing the lower right pelvic pain. The consultant would like me to see my doctor in case the pain is coming from my bowel, so I have an appointment tomorrow. The pain is deep in the right side and through to my back. Really hope it’s not anything worrying with my bowel. 

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m glad the ultrasound didn’t show anything! Yes, I have had IBS symptoms off and on throughout the course of withdrawal. I did have spasms and bloating for sure. Luckily I don’t have those symptoms right now so it’s kind of hard to remember everything, but I remember being really worried, especially the first time. I have noticed IBS seems to be one of the most common symptoms people seem to have here, so I took some comfort in that! Since the IBS symptoms are similar to the symptoms you have elsewhere, with the twitching and spasms, there’s a really strong probability it’s just withdrawal striking again. I had heard from one of my coworkers from the UK that the NHS could be a really long wait, but 14 months is crazy! I hope you’re able to get in quickly for your bowel exam because I know how unsettling waiting feels.

• 2 weeks later...

My stool test came back normal and so did my bloods, but the right-sided pain and intermittent swelling persists. It feels like something keeps getting stuck in my bowel, like everything is moving so slowly through it. I have searched on here and it seems gut motility issues are common in WD. This has been going on for a couple

of months now, when I lie on my back in bed at night I can feel my lower abdomen tightening and there is a hard lump that forms until I massage it away and I feel it pass through my bowel. I am now mostly suffering constipation no matter what I eat or how much water I drink. I had an internal examination by the doctor who did comment that she felt like my muscles in that area were very weak and she wondered if it was a pelvic floor issue causing the pain and motility issues. I keep hoping the discomfort will pass but it’s not shifting. 

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m so glad your tests came back negative. That’s always such a relief even if the symptoms are still there. The IBS symptoms you’re describing are certainly common in withdrawal (not that it helps you feel any better when you’re going through it). I’ve learned that in long-term withdrawal, at some point every part of the body will be affected.

Thank you @SandCastlefor your reassurance. 

I am hesitant to post this update out of fear that I ‘jinx’ myself, but I feel it’s important to record this. My family & I are just on our way home from a week long holiday at the coast. This time last year we went on the same holiday and I was in the depths of WD hell - could hardly walk because of muscle weakness, had frequent panic attacks, constant body-wide twitching, constant intrusive thoughts - I had lost the ability to be present with my daughter and family as I was constantly in a cycle of fear and panic and I genuinely thought I wouldn’t live to see our next family holiday. This year, I have had a brilliant holiday which I can honestly say I spent most of ‘present’ and without that feeling of impending doom. Yes, my physical symptoms are still there but they are not as intense as they were. More importantly, I am able to park the constant worry and fear for periods of time which I could never ever do this time last year. I still have weakness down my left side and this was evident when walking up and down the steep hill to our holiday home, but I didn’t get pulled into the downward spiral of fear about what this means. I felt grateful that I was back at the coast a year later, a little bit stronger and more hopeful. 💞

@HealthHopeHappiness

What beautiful news! 

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful update. 

It lifts my spirits to read of your improvements, I'm delighted for you. 

Healing is happening <3

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yippee, yippee! @HealthHopeHappinessI'm so glad to read this ♥️🌞🫐

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

Great to hear @HealthHopeHappiness. We have to take every win we get in withdrawal. Hope the weather was nice. It’s boiling hot down here in England today and this coming week.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

@HealthHopeHappiness That is so great to hear!! I’m so happy for you! Plus what a good excuse to go on more holidays 😆.

Thank you for such lovely and encouraging words and support @Ariel@arbor@Erimus@SandCastle. 💞

So I am in or heading for a wave. Lots of twitching, weakness, palpitations, startling myself awake, etc. I’m just trying to calmly observe the symptoms without attaching any meaning to them. I know I’ve probably brought some of it on myself as I’ve started having one coffee a day, have been taking a probiotic and also have started folic acid and vitamin D as I am going to start fertility treatment in the next month or so. Really hoping this passes and doesn’t intensify. Deep breaths 🙌🏼

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m sorry to hear you can feel another wave coming. How have you been since your last post? I swear I really think the heat or maybe humidity makes things worse!

On 7/28/2022 at 5:40 PM, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness I’m sorry to hear you can feel another wave coming. How have you been since your last post? I swear I really think the heat or maybe humidity makes things worse!

My GI symptoms are horrific. I don’t know if they are WD related or not but I have been going between having constipation and an upset stomach for a few months and now I just constantly have an upset stomach and can’t digest my food. My bowel feels like it is not functioning properly and the right sided pelvic pain is still there along with spasms in my bowel which look like pockets of gas collecting, I can feel and see the swelling. I have recently eliminated dairy and gluten to see if it helps. I’ve been on a probiotic for about 4 weeks and I think it’s making things worse. It’s starting to get me down and it is making me feel pretty anxious. I’ve stopped having my one cup of coffee in case that was a contributing factor. I find it hard to believe that this is WD related, but then I’ve found myself saying that many times over the last 20 months. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It might help to keep a food diary.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

@HealthHopeHappiness--Golly, your GI symptoms sound terrible.  I sure hope that clears up soon.

Hugs to you,

Arbor 💜

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

@HealthHopeHappiness I wouldn’t discount this being a withdrawal symptom. I’ve had so many things creep up over the last few years that I’ve had checked out to be told nothing is wrong. I have definitely gone through the “it’s too late to have a new symptom” thought process multiple times. I can’t remember when IBS symptoms started for me, but I think I was maybe 6 months into withdrawal? It was a later symptom for sure and has been off and on. I didn’t have frequent urination start until somewhere around a year and a half later, and that’s a common withdrawal symptom also. I could definitely see coffee upsetting it too. That’s one thing I’m still unable to give up. Was this symptom better when you were on vacation, and did you go in the ocean? I think ocean water, with all its minerals and whatever else is out there is really healing. That may sound a little too new-age-y but I’ve noticed rashes, other skin problems, joint pain and bowel issues improve drastically after a few days on vacation where I’m in the ocean.

Thanks @arbor💞

@SandCastlewell funny you should mention the frequent urination because low and behold, this is one of my most prominent symptoms right now along with all the IBS type stuff. I also had this near the start of WD and had investigations (cystoscopy and ultrasounds) because of it as I had no clue what was going on. I have been to the loo more than 10 times today and constantly feel like I desperately need to go again after I’ve just been.

Yes, I was in the ocean on holiday and I would agree that it has heaps of health benefits although I still had a lot of bowel issues whilst we were away which prompted me to start a probiotic. Re the GI issues, I have just done a week of no gluten or dairy and although I still have pain and swelling, I have noticed some other positive changes from excluding these from my diet. I am going to continue excluding them for another fortnight before reintroducing to see if I notice any changes. 

Whilst searching for an answer online to my lower right sided pain and swelling, I was interested to find out about the ileocecal valve (the valve that joins the small intestine to the large intestine) and the host of symptoms that can present if this is not functioning properly. I have experienced almost every symptom associated with this and I am wondering if this is what is causing the pain and intermittent swelling. It can be caused by issues with the vagus nerve as well as prolonged periods of stress which we are all under during WD. I’m going to mention it to my acupuncturist tomorrow and see what she knows and if she can help. In the meantime, I’m continuing with my elimination diet and probiotics to see if it helps settle the symptoms. Thanks for taking the time to check in. Will pop by your thread to see how you are. 💞

• 1 month later...

I’m currently going through round 2 of COVID. I had a real uptick in my WD symptoms last week and to be honest, although I’ve been pretty unwell, it’s a relief to be able attribute them to something. I had terrible pain at the base of my skull, dizziness, increase in visual floaters, and muscle twitching was through the roof. Loads of body aches and pain down my spine and pelvis and into my legs which is what I had when I had COVID in March. Hoping I’m over the worst of it and that my symptoms will settle down again soon. 

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I just had the same thing happen to me! It wasn’t covid but some other coughing virus going around my kids’ school. During the first two days that my symptoms ramped up, I was starting to freak out, but I got that familiar sore throat and was also relieved. I’m about a week into it and things have calmed down a lot for me. Hopefully they have for you too!

• 2 weeks later...

The last few months haven’t been easy. It’s amazing how after almost 2 years of WD, my brain still convinces me that the symptoms I have are unrelated to WD and are because I have some other illness. Currently, my most worrisome symptoms are all happening in the lower half of my body. I am having debilitating IBS symptoms which include swinging between diarrhoea and constipation, acid reflux, cramping pain, and gas becoming trapped at the right side of my bowel. I have had stool and blood samples which have come back negative. I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. I made the mistake of trying so many different things to help myself - probiotics, aloe vera, peppermint capsules, occasionally Mebeverine, ginger drops, acupuncture, guided hypnosis. I have now stopped everything except the hypnosis and acupuncture. The probiotics in particular made everything so much worse. I also have a constant urge to urinate and general heaviness and tingling in my pelvic region. At night when I’m asleep, I’m woken by the tingling. I also have lots of twitching in the lower half of my body - my legs, pelvis, genitals. 

The NHS in the UK is so stretched and I am on the waiting list to see a colorectal consultant but this will take a minimum of a year. I don’t have the funds to pay for a private colonoscopy as I have already spent so much on other investigations over the last 2 years plus my husband and I have paid for another round of IVF. 

Can anyone relate to the IBS/pelvic symptoms? Does anything work to manage the symptoms? How can this have all started so long into my WD process? 

You poor thing, HHH. I can relate to a whole lot of your symptoms. I was on Zoloft for 12 years, then decided to taper and started getting awful neuro symptoms on the right side of my body…. Weakness, tickling feeling in forearm and thigh,) like when you squeeze something when you are already really tired and it’s almost a funny feeling that makes you laugh), pain in my right leg, difficulty running which turned into the inability to run, now walking feels odd and is becoming difficult too.

Then the twitching started - primarily in my right leg, but elsewhere too.

I was convinced I had ALS given the one-sided nature, but my EMG and physics exams by three different neurologists were normal.

One told me it’s because I’m fixating on my symptoms, which makes them exponentially worse. Hard not to fixate when you get out of bed, put your feet on the floor, and immediately fee the unsteadiness in one leg!

I hadn’t ever considered that this could be related to my medication changes. I’ve had a ton of perceived health issues over the past 12 years and never could get a diagnosis aside from anxiety. All of my lab work and scans show a perfectly healthy body structure and organ function.

anyways, I took my last dose of Zoloft a week ago and then got moved over to Effexor. Psych thought that would help with my health anxiety. 

Hang in there! I think people like you and I need reassurance that nothing is wrong (aside from WD) — and that only goes so far. It’s like we need to hear it from multiple specialists and get tests confirmed multiple times. I don’t have any solutions other than, in the past, reassurance provided temporary relief for me. It didn’t this time with the EMG though, but knowing that others are going through the same sort of thing gives me hope!

@HealthHopeHappiness This all definitely sounds like withdrawal to me since I have had all these symptoms and they’re all currently gone for me. The pelvic pain and pressure and constant urge to urinate lasted the longest for me. The worst of it started around October 2021 and ended around May of this year (hard to remember now). It also came with twitching in that area for me. It was about 1.5 years into withdrawal for me, so it does make sense that it could start this late. I also had IBS symptoms, but I don’t remember those as well now. If it helps at all, I think I’m about 6 or 8 months farther into withdrawal than you and I’m currently feeling so much better. I have very minimal symptoms lately, and when they happen they don’t last nearly as long. The worst for me was in spring/early summer of this year when I had a major ramp-up of so many symptoms, it seriously felt like total despair for me, but things just started getting better from there. Maybe you’re in some sort of grand finale of withdrawal and things will turn around from here. Wishing you much more luck than it seems you’ve had lately!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @HealthHopeHappiness. I hope you’re as best as can be given the circumstances. I’m going through a lot of physical problems and IBS symptoms at the moment (from sertraline withdrawal). The constipation, reflux, bloating, cramps and so on. I just wanted to mention that one thing I find helps massively with bowel motility is vitamin C. Whenever I have these flare ups I take 2-3 capsules per day (each one is 500mg). Everyone is different of course, some of us require more and some of us less. Make sure you only take it after eating if you’ve got a sensitive stomach as well. 

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

The pain in your lower right abdomen definitely sounds like a ileocecal valve issue as well. When my physical symptoms are bad I notice constipation, and pain around that area. I just remember it’s a nervous system issue, rather than an organic bowel problem. The withdrawal chaos can cause it to spasm and lock up. Did elimination of gluten and dairy help at all? I cut gluten for around 2-3 months start of this year and noticed no discernible difference.

Edited by Erimus

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

12 hours ago, Erimus said:

The pain in your lower right abdomen definitely sounds like a ileocecal valve issue as well. When my physical symptoms are bad I notice constipation, and pain around that area. I just remember it’s a nervous system issue, rather than an organic bowel problem. The withdrawal chaos can cause it to spasm and lock up. Did elimination of gluten and dairy help at all? I cut gluten for around 2-3 months start of this year and noticed no discernible difference.

I went for a visceral massage yesterday and the therapist said exactly that. She said my ileocecal valve was not happy at all. She did some gentle manipulation - no idea if it’ll work but I was so desperate, I could hardly eat. I have a frequent spasm in the right side going from the top of my thigh/groin to where I imagine the valve is - I can see it moving when I lie in bed. Food either moves too quickly or too slowly through my bowel causing all sorts of awful symptoms.

I am the same as you re the gluten elimination - aside from maybe feeling clearer in my head, there was no real difference I don’t think. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m currently in a terrible wave which I think has been brought on for a number of reasons, the biggest being that I had a prostap injection 3 weeks ago to shut down my ovaries in preparation for a frozen IVF transfer. I’m dealing with the hormonal side effects from this as best I can. 

My daughter has also been unwell with scarlet fever and I think I’ve been fighting something similar off whilst she had this. Along with the ongoing digestive pain and discomfort, I now have persistent twitching in my lower right side - until now it was always my left side affected by twitching. My right groin is spasming constantly and my thigh twitches too. I also feel waves of tingling and prickly pins and needles in my bottom half. 

Obviously I made the decision to start the IVF treatment and I knew there was always the risk that my CNS would not be happy, but I have postponed treatment for 2 years and I need to move forward with this part of my life now. I need to just hope that things settle and don’t get worse when I move on to the next phase of medication for my IVF treatment. 

• Mentor

Be strong @HealthHopeHappiness. It sounds like you’ve got a lot going on which is pushing your stress barriers and their resilience. I’m glad you can see the symptoms for what they are and why they’re there. I remember when I restarted work after 2 years of WD I experienced a lot of twitching and tingling. You’re exercising that cns!

wishing you strength for the wave and success in the IVF. 

be strong and kind to yourself. You got this. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

This reply made me smile @DaBro. A comforting ‘familiar face’ from the start of WD. Much appreciated. Hope you are continuing to go from strength to strength. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 11:00 PM, HealthHopeHappiness said:

The last few months haven’t been easy. It’s amazing how after almost 2 years of WD, my brain still convinces me that the symptoms I have are unrelated to WD and are because I have some other illness. Currently, my most worrisome symptoms are all happening in the lower half of my body. I am having debilitating IBS symptoms which include swinging between diarrhoea and constipation, acid reflux, cramping pain, and gas becoming trapped at the right side of my bowel. I have had stool and blood samples which have come back negative. I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. I made the mistake of trying so many different things to help myself - probiotics, aloe vera, peppermint capsules, occasionally Mebeverine, ginger drops, acupuncture, guided hypnosis. I have now stopped everything except the hypnosis and acupuncture. The probiotics in particular made everything so much worse. I also have a constant urge to urinate and general heaviness and tingling in my pelvic region. At night when I’m asleep, I’m woken by the tingling. I also have lots of twitching in the lower half of my body - my legs, pelvis, genitals. 

The NHS in the UK is so stretched and I am on the waiting list to see a colorectal consultant but this will take a minimum of a year. I don’t have the funds to pay for a private colonoscopy as I have already spent so much on other investigations over the last 2 years plus my husband and I have paid for another round of IVF. 

Can anyone relate to the IBS/pelvic symptoms? Does anything work to manage the symptoms? How can this have all started so long into my WD process? 

Wow I literally have all these same symptoms currently. IBS, horrible acid reflux which makes it so hard to eat physically because it’s painful but also mentally because it’s exhausting & so confusing trying to figure out what to eat. I have the urge to urinate frequently… sometimes it wakes me up out of my sleep. It’s painful bladder & sometimes pelvic pain. I also have weird sensations down there as well like a tingling nerve feeling. How are you feeling now? Are you Still going through all these symptoms 

sometimes the withdrawal makes me cry randomly for no absolute reason but today I could tell it was really me crying it’s just sooo much going on. You’re not alone 💕 

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi HHH, I’ve been reading through your timeline and I can relate to so much of this. I had terrible anxiety after I gave birth to my daughter and it just never really resolved. I finally went on Lexapro then zoloft and now I’m trying to slowly taper off. However, so many of your symptoms are classic anxiety. Yes the withdrawal put your nervous system on high alert and messed up a ton of stuff (all benign but terrifying none the less) but also the miscarriage could put you into high alert and Covid etc etc. don’t let yourself go down a health anxiety road (been there) your doc checked you out and you’re having classic IBS (intestinal spasms) because your nervous system is still super activated. As soon as a twitch happens you say to yourself, oh no not this again and it puts you (keeps you) in a high alert state w adrenaline surges. It’s a vicious cycle and so hard to break free from. Please read Claire Weekes. I like to listen to the audible books because I love her voice but really she was a genius. If you can follow her lead (simple but terribly difficult) then you will speed along your recovery. Remember you are sensitized and sensitized bodies do crazy ****. You will recover from the ssri withdrawal but just know that that os all it is. Dumb scary idiotic annoying withdrawal that sucks. It’s not permanent and you will be okay again. I know I can’t even take my own advice :) but I know how you’re suffering and I wish I could give you a big hug. You’re not alone and you’re going to be okay❤️

SERTRALINE current taper

Oct 10, 2021: 18.75 mg dose/ 60mg weight; Nov 7, 2021: 15.6 mg dose/50mg weight; Nov 21, 2021: 12.5mg dose/40mg weight

Dec 26, 2021: 9.4 mg dose/30mg weight; Jan 23, 2022: 6.25mg dose/20mg weight; Feb 13, 2022: crossover from 6.25mg dose tablet to 6.25mg dose/.31ml liquid; Mar 13 2022: 0.28 ml; Mar 27, 2022: 0.25ml (5 mg dose if my math is correct); Apr 3, 2022: 0.23ml; Apr 10, 2022: 0.22ml; Apr 16,2022: 0.20ml; Jun 5, 2022: 0.19 ml; June 19, 2022: 0.18ml; Sep 25, 2022: 0.17ml; Oct 23, 2022: 0.16ml; Nov 20, 2022: 0.15 ml; Jan 22, 20230.14ml; slowly decreased over last year to Feb 1, 2024: 0.10ml;

SUPPLEMENTS

Daily: Fish Oil, Magnesium, micronized Progesterone 100mg

Periodically or as needed:  Allegra, Ibuprofen, Vitamin C, B-Complex, probiotics, Quercetin, Nasalcrom,  Stinging Nettle, Vit D

Sertaline Up and down mess: 2021, July 14: 25 mg, 2021, Mar 17: 18.75 mg, 2021, Mar 9: 12.5 mg, 2021, Mar 1: 25 mg, 2020, May 29: 37.5 mg, 2020, Feb 19: 25 mg, 2020, Feb 1: 18.75 mg, 2019, Nov 2: 12.5 mg, 2019, Oct 18: 6.25 mg 

ESCITALOPRAM (generic Lexapro) Sep 2017-June 2019  from 0-5 mg

Final taper: 5 mg > 2.5mg, then 2.5 every other day, then stop)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven’t posted in quite a while. Unfortunately it’s not because I’ve recovered fully and forgotten all about WD, I just continue to deal with the same symptoms but am so tired of talking about them. A big development for me is I am now 8 weeks pregnant after IVF, and although I’m delighted & grateful, I am suffering for it hugely. I have been taking oestrogen & progesterone for months, still am, and that combined with the pregnancy itself is making me feel so ill. Both from a classic pregnancy nausea/sickness point of view, but also because of a significant increase in my WD symptoms. Twitching, muscle weakness, walking difficulties, bowel issues, sleep difficulties, cortisol wakings. You name it, I have it. As bad as at the beginning of all this 2 years ago. It scares me how I will be throughout the pregnancy and after. Day at a time. 

• Mentor

Congratulations @HealthHopeHappiness  I guess pregnancy is going to push your cns to the max which will trigger all the symptoms again. Stay strong. You know the path. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018