SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Linsey: HELP? I quit Wellbutrin months ago and still have symptoms!

Lindsey

Hello! I’m Lindsey. I’m 27 years old. Healthy. 130lbs. I was on Wellbutrin 150mg XL for only 1 week until I stopped it end of September 2020. I quit it cold Turkey because I felt it was too high of a dose & was giving me horrible side effects (hallucinations, delusions, psychosis, insomnia, made me not want my usual cup of coffee anymore, made me feel different like it took some of my emotions away, I couldn’t cry, I had nightmares, my nightmares felt so real I would have outbursts waking up) I am a highly sensitive person. After quitting Cold Turkey 1 month later in November, I had what seemed to be a conscience seizure while laying in bed.. ( dr said it was weird for me to randomly have full body convulsions).. I was rushed to the ER. ER said my metabolic panel was fine & I was perfectly healthy (TSH level was slightly elevated to 4.13 though) they discharged me though 6-7 hours later after giving me Adavan anti-seizure medication (only a 1/2 mg) it knocked me out. But ever since I had those full body convulsions, I’ve had these symptoms: pressure in my ears & pressure in the back of my throat where my nasal cavity meets my throat (tonsil area), major fatigue, major weakness. ... I’ve seen 5 general doctors & 1 chiropractor since and none of them can figure it out 😔 it’s been 2 months since the seizure happened and I just want answers. I’m not taking any drugs except allergy medication & vitamin C every day now. And my dr keeps ordering blood tests since my TSH level rose past 5.92 now. And now it’s at 6.25!! And I still have pressure in my ears and the back of my throat which gives me HIGH anxiety and it makes it hard to breathe.. Random anxiety/panic attacks like my adrenals are always ready.. I’ve never had any issues like this before. Can someone help me?

Edited by manymoretodays
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Linsey: HELP? I quit Wellbutrin months ago and still have symptoms!
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Lindsey.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

In the Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin thread, it's noted that "While it is less likely to cause sexual dysfunction like other antidepressants, other side effects are: lowers the seizure threshold (very bad for brain zaps), increases blood pressure, tremors, tinnitus, unusual behaviour changes, agitation, and hostility."

So this is a drug known for lowering the seizure threshold, which may explain the severe adverse or withdrawal reaction. 

On 1/9/2021 at 9:30 PM, Lindsey said:

I’m not taking any drugs except allergy medication & vitamin C every day now. And my dr keeps ordering blood tests since my TSH level rose past 5.92 now. And now it’s at 6.25!!

Please post what type of allergy medication you're taking (some medications can make antidepressant withdrawal or adverse reactions worse). 

Also, are you taking anything for your thyroid? 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.