Prevail: Cipralex (escitalopram) Withdrawal

Prevail

Hi Everyone, 

I find great comfort reading through all these experiences, it really reassures me that these medications do alter our brain chemistry.  I just hope the researches are aware of this dire situation and are working on alternative medications for the future people who suffer from anxiety.  
Just some background, I’m a 41 female who started the on again / off again relationship with AD’s in my early 30’s.  There is no doubt that I needed something to treat my anxiety and depression back then, and the first time I tried Cipralex it did help me.  I did come off of it successfully after a year or two, and I distinctly remember it took about 16 months to feel really normal.  I did have to go back eventually due to “stressful life events” which caused me immense anxiety.  I do realize my body doesn’t process stress and stimulation like most people. That in there is the issue that researches need to focus on I believe - why not focus on why some people’s nervous symptoms are too sensitive, what are we missing etc?!  

The reason I am here today is put out there my experiences of withdrawal.  I started up on 5mg of Cipralex last night, after being completely off for 5 weeks.  It’s seems like the 5/6 week off mark is when the body really starts to feel the impact.  The withdrawal symptoms this week that were creeping in reminded me of my unsuccessful attempt I made in 2018, where I suffered immensely.  I just can’t torture myself in this way, especially in the pandemic, so I started 5mg last night. 

My withdrawal symptoms include (note: when I first ever got off successfully in 2013 I did not have any of these symptoms that I list below, I only had anxiety and sleep disturbances that improved and went away in time, it was very manageable)  

What I have experienced in my last two attempts are: 

1. Brain zaps at night when I put my head down 

2. Sensitivity to sound and smell 

3. Lots of horrible gagging reflux first thing in morning, with actual vomit at times 

4. Feeling unusually chilly 

5. Major reflux and indigestion mostly felt in esophagus, it’s feels like I’m starving but it’s really just the burning 

6. Episodes of diarrhea 

7. Moments of getting “goosebumps” for no reason, it’s a tingling feeling in patches along my body 

8. Major nasal congestion in the mornings

9. Between 5am -7am I get the jitters in bed, with anxiety 

10. Can’t sleep deep, or for more than 5 hours at a time 

There’s probably more but these are the major ones. 

Due do the pandemic and lockdown I just don’t think it’s a good time to get off completely, I mean I did try but the last week (above symptoms) was a sure sign that I’d go south fast.  This doesn’t mean I will give up forever.  So back to 5mg.  Hopefully in 6 months to 2.5mg, then 1.25 eventually...ugh this will take years. 

For anyone out there who can relate, just know that you are courageous, this is a true battle and not many know the strength and will power it takes to come off antidepressants, especially if it’s not your first time. 

Depression & Anxiety are very real illnesses, I just think SSRI’s are not the right formula.  There has to be a better way.  I do hope there is major research going on testing new formula’s, that gives me hope. 

——

Jan 2019 - Jan 2020 - Restarted Cipralex after failed attempt to quit - 20mg

Feb 2020 - May 2020 - 10mg

June 2020 - Sept 2020 - 5mg

Oct 12 to Dec 3 2.5mg (too soon)

Dec 4 - off 

Week of January 7 - withdrawal symptoms begin to emerge and every morning it’s worse

Jan 11 - restart 5mg

Edited by manymoretodays
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Prevail: Cipralex (escitalopram) Withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Prevail

It sounds like you got withdrawal symptoms when you stopped taking 2.5mg in December. How do you feel now that you've reinstated 5mg?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Prevail, I hope you are feeling better on 5mg. I think it is better to do it really slowly, I did not and it is quite tough, but am sure I will get through it eventually. But as you said why torture yourself. I wish a quick stabilization!

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

Hi Altostrada, 

Thank you so much for responding.  The symptoms were definitely withdrawal. I’m in disbelief as to how sudden and severe the symptoms started.  It really changes my perspective on the last 5 years of my life, getting on Cipralex and trying to get off, the horror I faced and dealt with. 

Within 1-2 days of reinstating the 5mg, the extreme nausea vanished. Congestion gone too.  My mornings are much better, not waking up at 5am “shaking”.  I am much better, I even feel so good emotionally, so stable.   I am a bit apprehensive about what the next few weeks may bring with the 5mg back in my system...will my receptors down regulate etc...

However, there must have been some healing in my nervous system being on the 5mg from June -October because reinstating helped me so much.  I wouldn’t feel this “normal” if healing wasn’t happening...I think? 

I will continue this journey, very slowly and patiently.  For now, I will hold on 5mg, for many weeks. Then go from there.

Thank you for all you have done to support this community of sufferers.  

I really wish the manufacturers of these drugs offered smaller doses.  Even a weaning “kit”.  I may go to a compounding pharmacy and see if they can help with smaller doses,  they should be.  

Prevail

• Administrator

Reinstatement is known to quell withdrawal symptoms. You'll be able to stabilize and then taper off much more gradually later.

Please let us know how you're doing.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi @Neon& @Altostrata

I just wanted to give you an update.  It’s been 13 days that I reinstated 5mg of Cipralex. (Lexapro) Overall, things are okay. The reinstated completely zapped the withdrawal symptoms, most notably the intense gagging/nausea in the morning and early morning “shakes”. 

I should mention also I that a few days after I reinstated, I also decided to quit smoking. Today and yesterday, I have noticed a lower  mood, but I do think it’s to be expected 10 days of no smoking. 

I’m going to just focus on moving forward and try not to pay attention to what’s happening on a physical/emotional level.  Eat well. Walk. Rest. Sleep.

Maybe quitting smoking will hinder me now, but help me in the long run, especially when I begin a very controlled slow taper process in the future off 5mg of Cipralex.  

Also Altostrada, I will update my signature when I have access to a desktop computer.  

Wish me luck.  I’m feeling a bit apprehensive about the quitting smoking timing, but I was just so tired of being a slave to cigarettes.  Plus I know that smoking has also contributed to my anxiety prior to ever starting Cipralex in the first place.  So hopefully this decision helps me in the future healing process. 

Will check in soon again. 

Prevail

• Administrator

Good to hear. Good luck on stopping smoking, that is a big health step. Please do let us know how you're doing.

Hello @Prevail,

I am glad to hear you are doing better!

I think it is a great idea to stop smoking now before you go start your taper. And already 10 days, that is really good 🤩

I am a smoker myself and really wanna stop but I find while being in intense withdrawal it is just impossible for me.
I am really looking forward to stabilizing and being able to do that myself. 

Also I think it is important not to be hard on yourself in case you do not manage to do it (but I think you can absolutely manage to do it, dont get me wrong). It is tremendously difficult for anyone to stop smoking and in our situation there is another layer of difficulty put on top of it.

I wish you all the best and lots of support ❤️

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock