Jump to content

SecondTime: Hello! Need some advice


SecondTime

Recommended Posts

SecondTime

I am 56 year-old male. I started 50mg of Zoloft on December 12,2020 and Ativan as needed when I went to the hospital for a panic attack. It has been 9 years since my last panic attack. I took .50 Ativan at night for 2 weeks, then .25 at night for 2 weeks. Down to .125 Ativan over the weekend. My experience with Zoloft has been a nightmare. Extreme anxiety everyday and didn’t have that in the past and terrible insomnia. Bad tremors at night, confusion, memory issues. I can’t imagine doing a 10% taper as my life is very miserable right now. Not really sure what to do. Slow taper is going to be painful. This medication isn’t working for me at all. My doctor told me to just go see a psychiatrist. Ugh.

Edited by manymoretodays
name to title

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • manymoretodays changed the title to SecondTime: Hello! Need some advice
  • Administrator
Altostrata

Welcome, @SecondTime

 

If you've been on 50mg Zoloft only since December 12 and having these adverse effects from the beginning, if I were you, I'd immediately reduce by 25% to 37.5mg. You can cut the tablet into half and add another quarter for a dose.

 

This should cause the adverse effects to reduce. Please let us know how you're doing so we can discuss next steps.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post
SecondTime
4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @SecondTime

 

If you've been on 50mg Zoloft only since December 12 and having these adverse effects from the beginning, if I were you, I'd immediately reduce by 25% to 37.5mg. You can cut the tablet into half and add another quarter for a dose.

 

This should cause the adverse effects to reduce. Please let us know how you're doing so we can discuss next steps.

 

Thank you.  I reduced my dosage to 37.5mg on Saturday, January 9.  My anxiety got worse and I had a panic attack on January 12.  Also, I developed stomach cramps after eating when I started the taper. I saw my doctor on January 13 and he told me to switch to Paxil.  He instructed me to taper to 25mg  for three days and then start 10mg of Paxil.  He told me to stop the Ativan since I was on it for 4 weeks and use Ristoril, 15 mg for sleep.  I took the Ristoril the last two nights.  I would like to come off completely from antidepressants.  My wife and my doctor won't listen to me about the antidepressants making everything much, much more worse.

 

Thank you for the advice and any more advice is appreciated.

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
Altostrata

How did you feel after you reduced to 37.5mg, before January 12? What did the panic attack feel like?

 

How often have you been taking Ativan, at what dosages, each day? Did you stop taking Ativan or take it off-schedule on January 10 or 11?

 

That panic attack might have been an adverse effect of Ativan. I'll ask @Shep to consult.

 

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

 

If I were you, I would not take Paxil. It also has bad adverse effects and can be very difficult to go off. Let's figure out where this panic attack came from.

 

This is very important: To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post
  • Administrator
5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

That panic attack might have been an adverse effect of Ativan. I'll ask @Shep to consult.

 

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

 

@SecondTime Welcome to SA. As Alto wrote, please keep daily notes and we can go through them together and see if the Ativan is the culprit in the panic attacks. This drug has a short half-life and is notorious for causing interdose and rebound symptoms, so we like to get that sorted out first. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

 

Link to post
SecondTime
6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How did you feel after you reduced to 37.5mg, before January 12? What did the panic attack feel like?

 

How often have you been taking Ativan, at what dosages, each day? Did you stop taking Ativan or take it off-schedule on January 10 or 11?

 

That panic attack might have been an adverse effect of Ativan. I'll ask @Shep to consult.

 

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

 

If I were you, I would not take Paxil. It also has bad adverse effects and can be very difficult to go off. Let's figure out where this panic attack came from.

 

 

This is very important: To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

My restlessness started to reduce a little bit after I dropped to 37.5.  I only was taking the Ativan at night to help with insomnia.  I took 25mg at 11 pm on January 11.  I took my 37.5 at 6 am on January 12.  All morning I was restless at work, pacing, anxiety, racing mind, unable to concentrate.  I went to lunch at noon.  As I was driving back from lunch, I started to get severe shaking tremors in my legs.  I was able to get to the parking lot at work when severe tremors happened in legs with hyperventilating.  Work EMS was called.

 

My last dosage of Ativan was January 12, .25 mg at 11 pm. Doc told me to use Restoril 15 mg for sleep.  Started it on January 13 at 10 pm.  Not sure how I should handle the benzos.  I know the danger.  When I talked about insomnia, I mean no sleep at all.  I didn't sleep for two days before I had my panic attack in December.

 

I put in a more detailed history in my profile.  As you will see, I was on TRT for a month before the first panic attack.  It was probably the first culprit.  I am starting to put two and two together. 

 

I will start the system tracker today.  Thank you very much for the help and advice.

 

 

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
SecondTime
1 hour ago, Shep said:

 

@SecondTime Welcome to SA. As Alto wrote, please keep daily notes and we can go through them together and see if the Ativan is the culprit in the panic attacks. This drug has a short half-life and is notorious for causing interdose and rebound symptoms, so we like to get that sorted out first. 

Thank you.  Any advice/help is appreciated.  I updated my profile.  I tapered to 25mg of Sertraline on January 14.

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
SecondTime

1:00 am 15mg of Restoril.  Tried sleeping without it, but I am getting sever restless leg which also happens in my shoulder and chest.  This has been happening for a few weeks.

 

7:30 am Best way I can describe it is I get hyperarousal which lasts all day.  I get some 15 minute windows, but I have it as I am typing right now.  I have poor concentration, confusion, and memory loss.  I have been getting disoriented when driving the last few weeks.

 

8:30 am Took 25 mg of Zoloft.

9:30 am stomach pain, very gassy.  The gas isn’t the worse side effect, but have it all.

 

I continue to have hyperarousal all day.  This is what makes it hard to sleep too.  It’s very difficult for me to sit still. I still have poor concentration all day.  I go do to one thing and end up doing something else.

 

I desperately want to get off the Zoloft as soon as I can.  Thanks in advance for all the advice.

 

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
Altostrata

Hi, SecondTime. Why did you decrease from 37.5mg to 25mg Zoloft? When did you do this? Are you feeling better or worse since reducing to 25mg?

 

Why did your doctor not keep you on Ativan?

 

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature , which we will be able to see under all your posts. You may need to use a computer to do this.

 

Many people find these to be helpful:

 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

 

Magnesium in particular is good for leg movement and muscle relaxing. You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post
SecondTime
2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hi, SecondTime. Why did you decrease from 37.5mg to 25mg Zoloft? When did you do this? Are you feeling better or worse since reducing to 25mg?

 

Why did your doctor not keep you on Ativan?

 

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature , which we will be able to see under all your posts. You may need to use a computer to do this.

 

Many people find these to be helpful:

 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

 

Magnesium in particular is good for leg movement and muscle relaxing. You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

My doc told me to taper to 25mg for the Paxil switch. I am not switching to Paxil. I did this on January 14. The doc told me to stop the Ativan because it would just make my anxiety worse. Didn’t make sense to me.  I don’t feel as restless when I dropped to 25. Insomnia is still very bad.

Edited by SecondTime
Left information out

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator

 

On 1/12/2021 at 9:32 AM, SecondTime said:

I started 50mg of Zoloft on December 12,2020 and Ativan as needed when I went to the hospital for a panic attack. It has been 9 years since my last panic attack. I took .50 Ativan at night for 2 weeks, then .25 at night for 2 weeks. Down to .125 Ativan over the weekend.

 

On 1/17/2021 at 9:05 AM, SecondTime said:

My last dosage of Ativan was January 12, .25 mg at 11 pm. Doc told me to use Restoril 15 mg for sleep.  Started it on January 13 at 10 pm. 

 

Restoral is a lot less potent than Ativan, especially since you had tapered down from the original .5 mg to .125 mg over a month's time. This happened prior to you joining the site and it looks like your doctor is just not that informed because we generally recommend a slow crossover. Since you were on it a month, you may or may not have been dependent on it.  

 

So it's hard to say whether the 15 mg is the best dose to start. You may do fine at 10 mg Restoril, which is equivalent to .5 mg Ativan. But again, because you had decreased the Ativan significantly before switching, you may do fine with even less than that. 

 

Hopefully the Restoril is covering any withdrawal symptoms from the Ativan. Please note you can become dependent on benzos in 2 - 4 weeks time and some people become dependent in only a few days. So you may have some withdrawal from the Ativan. 

 

Please let us know how you're feeling with the Restoril and if you feel the dose is the right effective dose for you to sleep. 

 

We really need a signature. Please see this post on how to set it up:

 

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

 

Link to post
SecondTime
3 minutes ago, Shep said:

 

 

 

Restoral is a lot less potent than Ativan, especially since you had tapered down from the original .5 mg to .125 mg over a month's time. This happened prior to you joining the site and it looks like your doctor is just not that informed because we generally recommend a slow crossover. Since you were on it a month, you may or may not have been dependent on it.  

 

So it's hard to say whether the 15 mg is the best dose to start. You may do fine at 10 mg Restoril, which is equivalent to .5 mg Ativan. But again, because you had decreased the Ativan significantly before switching, you may do fine with even less than that. 

 

Hopefully the Restoril is covering any withdrawal symptoms from the Ativan. Please note you can become dependent on benzos in 2 - 4 weeks time and some people become dependent in only a few days. So you may have some withdrawal from the Ativan. 

 

Please let us know how you're feeling with the Restoril and if you feel the dose is the right effective dose for you to sleep. 

 

We really need a signature. Please see this post on how to set it up:

 

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

Yes, the Restoril is the right amount. I get a good nights sleep with it. I am afraid of using it too long.

 

Any taper suggestions for the Zoloft?

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
Altostrata

If I were you, I'd stabilize on your current drug combination for a good while, perhaps some months, then taper Zoloft before going off Restoril. See

 

Most likely, you will need to taper Restoril. We will help you taper. Your doctor may be under the mistaken impression that it has less of a withdrawal risk than Ativan, but it's probably about the same.

 

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post
SecondTime
17 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

If I were you, I'd stabilize on your current drug combination for a good while, perhaps some months, then taper Zoloft before going off Restoril. See

 

Most likely, you will need to taper Restoril. We will help you taper. Your doctor may be under the mistaken impression that it has less of a withdrawal risk than Ativan, but it's probably about the same.

 

Please let us know how you're doing.

Thank you. I will 

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
SecondTime
12 hours ago, SecondTime said:

Thank you. I will 

 

13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If I were you, I'd stabilize on your current drug combination for a good while, perhaps some months, then taper Zoloft before going off Restoril. See

 

Most likely, you will need to taper Restoril. We will help you taper. Your doctor may be under the mistaken impression that it has less of a withdrawal risk than Ativan, but it's probably about the same.

 

Please let us know how you're doing.

One last question for a while, how would I cut a 15mg Restoril capsule? I have taken it for 6 nights now.

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
23 hours ago, Shep said:

We really need a signature. Please see this post on how to set it up:

 

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

 

Please set up a signature.

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

 

Link to post
SecondTime

Done. Sorry, I had put it my profile

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
SecondTime

My day on January 19

 

2:30 AM Woke up after taking 15mg of Restoril at 10:30 pm the night before. I think I may have dozed off for another hour or two.

6:00 AM Breakfast with 25mg of Sertraline.  A little drowsy feeling.  No anxiety.

7:30 AM Feeling of anxiety, restlessness hit me.  I feel like my adrenaline is constantly on. Felt this all morning

11:30 AM Lunch

1:00 PM  A window hit me.  Felt very calm and very productive at work.

3:00 PM Anxiety hit again with feeling of high adrenaline.

4:00 PM Went back and forth with anxiety and depression.

6:00 PM Dinner

Anxiety and depression all night.

10:30 PM 15mg of Restoril.  Woke back up at 1:30pm

 

Note.  I work two jobs.  7-3:30, 4pm-10pm

 

 

 

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
21 hours ago, SecondTime said:

Done. Sorry, I had put it my profile

 

Thanks, ST. This is very helpful. 

 

22 hours ago, SecondTime said:

One last question for a while, how would I cut a 15mg Restoril capsule? I have taken it for 6 nights now.

 

You would want to use a scale for this. Please see:

 

Using a digital scale to measure doses

 

Are you interested in decreasing down to an approximate Ativan crossover amount with the Restoril? You mentioned not wanting to be on a benzo and while this is perfectly understandable, I fear you're already dependent because of the time you were on Ativan. So please don't rush trying to get off restoril. Benzos are no more problematic than antidepressants when it comes to dependency. And we advise tapering the antidepressant first. Please see:


Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

 

The goal is to preserve sleep as much as possible throughout your taper. And with your heavy workload, that's got to be a priority. 

 

On 1/17/2021 at 9:05 AM, SecondTime said:

My restlessness started to reduce a little bit after I dropped to 37.5.  I only was taking the Ativan at night to help with insomnia.  I took 25mg at 11 pm on January 11.  I took my 37.5 at 6 am on January 12.  All morning I was restless at work, pacing, anxiety, racing mind, unable to concentrate.  I went to lunch at noon.  As I was driving back from lunch, I started to get severe shaking tremors in my legs.  I was able to get to the parking lot at work when severe tremors happened in legs with hyperventilating.  Work EMS was called.

 

My last dosage of Ativan was January 12, .25 mg at 11 pm. Doc told me to use Restoril 15 mg for sleep.  Started it on January 13 at 10 pm.  Not sure how I should handle the benzos.  I know the danger.  When I talked about insomnia, I mean no sleep at all.  I didn't sleep for two days before I had my panic attack in December.

 

Because you were simultaneously dropping the sertraline at the same time you were reducing the Ativan, it's hard to tell what is causing what. Also, as you mentioned earlier, the TRT may have caused some problems from when you were on it back in December.  

 

However, as you continue posting your drug and symptoms journal (and you're doing a great job with this), we may be able to sort through this and come up with a good game plan for you going forward. 

 

39 minutes ago, SecondTime said:

Note.  I work two jobs.  7-3:30, 4pm-10pm

 

This is quite a workload.  Are you able to take any vacation or sick time if you need it? 

 

 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

 

Link to post
SecondTime
12 minutes ago, Shep said:

 

Thanks, ST. This is very helpful. 

 

 

You would want to use a scale for this. Please see:

 

Using a digital scale to measure doses

 

Are you interested in decreasing down to an approximate Ativan crossover amount with the Restoril? You mentioned not wanting to be on a benzo and while this is perfectly understandable, I fear you're already dependent because of the time you were on Ativan. So please don't rush trying to get off restoril. Benzos are no more problematic than antidepressants when it comes to dependency. And we advise tapering the antidepressant first. Please see:


Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

 

The goal is to preserve sleep as much as possible throughout your taper. And with your heavy workload, that's got to be a priority. 

 

 

Because you were simultaneously dropping the sertraline at the same time you were reducing the Ativan, it's hard to tell what is causing what. Also, as you mentioned earlier, the TRT may have caused some problems from when you were on it back in December.  

 

However, as you continue posting your drug and symptoms journal (and you're doing a great job with this), we may be able to sort through this and come up with a good game plan for you going forward. 

 

 

This is quite a workload.  Are you able to take any vacation or sick time if you need it? 

 

 

Yes, I want to use the equivalent of the Ativan for crossover. 
 

Right now, I can’t afford to take time off. I have missed a lot of work already in December. I won’t see any relief until April when my daughter graduates from college and she moved out.

 

I agree. Sleep will help. I just haven’t been able to sleep. 
 

I am seeing a therapist.

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
50 minutes ago, SecondTime said:

Yes, I want to use the equivalent of the Ativan for crossover. 

 

Technically, this isn't a crossover because you rapid tapered off the Ativan before going on Restoril. So it's a bit harder to gage the best dose. That's okay, it's just important to note that it may be a bumpy ride for awhile. The full dose of Ativan you started out on was .5 mg and the equivalent amount of Restoril is 10 mg, so you might want to target that dose to start and see if you might do okay with less. 

 

Here is the equivalency chart we use - Equivalency Chart

 

 

On 1/18/2021 at 9:32 AM, SecondTime said:

Yes, the Restoril is the right amount. I get a good nights sleep with it. I am afraid of using it too long.

 

 

2 hours ago, SecondTime said:

10:30 PM 15mg of Restoril.  Woke back up at 1:30pm

 

Did you go back to sleep after waking up at 1:30? You mentioned you sleep well with the Restoril, so I just want to confirm how much sleep you're getting (I'm assuming the 1:30 pm is a typo and should be 1:30 am). 

 

 

Edited by Shep
added link to chart

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

 

Link to post
SecondTime
3 minutes ago, Shep said:

 

Technically, this isn't a crossover because you rapid tapered off the Ativan before going on Restoril. So it's a bit harder to gage the best dose. That's okay, it's just important to note that it may be a bumpy ride for awhile. The full dose of Ativan you started out on was .5 mg and the equivalent amount of Restoril is 10 mg, so you might want to target that dose to start and see if you might do okay with less. 

 

Here is the equivalency chart we use - Equivalency Chart

 

 

 

 

Did you go back to sleep after waking up at 1:30? You mentioned you sleep well with the Restoril, so I just want to confirm how much sleep you're getting (I'm assuming the 1:30 pm is a typo and should be 1:30 am). 

 

 

No, I didn’t. Yes it was a typo. It should be 1:30 am. Desperately trying to sleep.

 

The Restoril was great the first night. I have been getting less and less sleep with it each night. 

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator

Did you sleep better on Ativan? If so, at which dose? 

 

It's possible you may want to switch back to Ativan if it worked better for sleep. The reinstatement timeframe for a benzo is within 2 - 4 weeks of coming off it. Since you've only been off Ativan for 8 days, it's something that would be safe to return to. the Restoril may not be covering up all the withdrawal from the Ativan. 

 

Please post your thoughts. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

 

Link to post
SecondTime
11 minutes ago, Shep said:

Did you sleep better on Ativan? If so, at which dose? 

 

It's possible you may want to switch back to Ativan if it worked better for sleep. The reinstatement timeframe for a benzo is within 2 - 4 weeks of coming off it. Since you've only been off Ativan for 8 days, it's something that would be safe to return to. the Restoril may not be covering up all the withdrawal from the Ativan. 

 

Please post your thoughts. 

I will try.25 tonight and let you know tomorrow. I definitely need something for sleep.

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
Altostrata
11 hours ago, Shep said:

Did you sleep better on Ativan? If so, at which dose? 

 

It's possible you may want to switch back to Ativan if it worked better for sleep. The reinstatement timeframe for a benzo is within 2 - 4 weeks of coming off it. Since you've only been off Ativan for 8 days, it's something that would be safe to return to. the Restoril may not be covering up all the withdrawal from the Ativan. 

 

Please post your thoughts. 

 

Agree with Shep. Perplexing why your doctor switched you from Ativan to Restoril, as they have the same risk of physiological dependency, and you may be experiencing withdrawal from Ativan.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post
SecondTime
17 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

 

Agree with Shep. Perplexing why your doctor switched you from Ativan to Restoril, as they have the same risk of physiological dependency, and you may be experiencing withdrawal from Ativan.

I am not going back to him. He is a GP and I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on February 3 and will need help on how to discuss my meds. I have 4 refills left of my 50mg Zoloft so that should be enough for a taper I hope. The Ativan has no refill so that could be tricky. I have about 15 tablets of 1 mg left, I will have to double check that.

 

I wish I could rewind the last 3 months of my life, but here I am. Dependent on a benzo and having to taper an antidepressant that is killing me.  The physical pain can be unbearable. I had some bigger windows today but will recap my day tomorrow morning.

 

Thank you everyone for your help.

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
SecondTime

Yesterday

Woke up at 1:30am, unable to get back to sleep.

6:00 breakfast and 25mg Zoloft

7:30 AM anxiety and windows. Windows getting bigger

11:30 lunch 

12:30 bigger window

2:30pm Anxiety, restlessness, pacing

4:00 Therapy session

5:00 Windows and depression, some anxiety 

6:00 Dinner

More windows, fatigue, some depression, some anxiety 

10pm .25 Ativan, couldn’t sleep, restless leg and restless arm syndrome. Also, a rush of adrenaline would jolt me as I was able to doze off.

1:30 am .25 Ativan, couldn’t sleep

2:30 am panic attack started but controlled it. Slept for 3 hours.

 

Hands and feet tingling yesterday and this morning 

 

Edited by SecondTime
Missing information

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
12 hours ago, SecondTime said:

He is a GP and I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on February 3 and will need help on how to discuss my meds. I have 4 refills left of my 50mg Zoloft so that should be enough for a taper I hope. The Ativan has no refill so that could be tricky. I have about 15 tablets of 1 mg left, I will have to double check that.

 

Please don't count on psychiatrists to know more about these drugs than any other kind of doctor. In fact, they may know less and try to get you diagnosed with a more severe form of "mental illness." This thread may help:

 

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

 

For information on finding a doctor, please see:

 

Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

 

There's an MD in Georgia who knows about withdrawal, but I'm not sure how close you are to Atlanta. You may want to check it out and see if this doctor will do a Skype call due to the pandemic. 

 

Mad in America Provider Directory

 

You may also want to contact the others in your area, such as the PhD listed in that link. Even if she can't prescribe drugs, she may know of withdrawal-wise doctors in your area who may be able to help. 

 

Please note the Mad in America site is highly regarded here and on other withdrawal forums. Please check out the articles on that site. Very informative. 

 

1 hour ago, SecondTime said:

10pm .25 Ativan, couldn’t sleep, restless leg and restless arm syndrome. Also, a rush of adrenaline would jolt me as I was able to doze off.

1:30 am .25 Ativan, couldn’t sleep

2:30 am panic attack started but controlled it. Slept for 3 hours.

 

Instead of a trial and error attempt at reaching a dose, please pick one and stay with it. Your nervous system is dealing with not only abrupt changes in drugs, but also dose changes. Even if you go all the way back to .5 mg Ativan, that's better than experimenting too long and rattling your nervous system with even more changes. This could result in kindling. 

 

Benzo Info.org - Kindling

 

Kindling, in layman’s terms, is as if the nervous system has a memory of the past withdrawal(s). This memory of prior withdrawal(s) and/or damage still remains imprinted within the nervous system and subsequent withdrawals and/or damage are worse because the nervous system recalls that it has been sensitized/damaged in prior withdrawal(s).

 

1 hour ago, SecondTime said:

7:30 AM anxiety and windows. Windows getting bigger

11:30 lunch 

12:30 bigger window

 

You're still getting windows during the day, which is great. 

 

What does a window feel like for you? Which symptoms resolve? 

 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

 

Link to post
SecondTime
4 minutes ago, Shep said:

 

Please don't count on psychiatrists to know more about these drugs than any other kind of doctor. In fact, they may know less and try to get you diagnosed with a more severe form of "mental illness." This thread may help:

 

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

 

For information on finding a doctor, please see:

 

Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

 

There's an MD in Georgia who knows about withdrawal, but I'm not sure how close you are to Atlanta. You may want to check it out and see if this doctor will do a Skype call due to the pandemic. 

 

Mad in America Provider Directory

 

You may also want to contact the others in your area, such as the PhD listed in that link. Even if she can't prescribe drugs, she may know of withdrawal-wise doctors in your area who may be able to help. 

 

Please note the Mad in America site is highly regarded here and on other withdrawal forums. Please check out the articles on that site. Very informative. 

 

 

Instead of a trial and error attempt at reaching a dose, please pick one and stay with it. Your nervous system is dealing with not only abrupt changes in drugs, but also dose changes. Even if you go all the way back to .5 mg Ativan, that's better than experimenting too long and rattling your nervous system with even more changes. This could result in kindling. 

 

Benzo Info.org - Kindling

 

Kindling, in layman’s terms, is as if the nervous system has a memory of the past withdrawal(s). This memory of prior withdrawal(s) and/or damage still remains imprinted within the nervous system and subsequent withdrawals and/or damage are worse because the nervous system recalls that it has been sensitized/damaged in prior withdrawal(s).

 

 

You're still getting windows during the day, which is great. 

 

What does a window feel like for you? Which symptoms resolve? 

 

I am in a window now. My adrenaline isn’t ramped up. I can think about other things besides my side effects. I can sit down and not be depressed or anxious. I am more engaged in conversations with others. My OVD is deminished. The only real side effect I am feeling right now is tinnitus 

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, SecondTime said:

I am in a window now. My adrenaline isn’t ramped up. I can think about other things besides my side effects. I can sit down and not be depressed or anxious. I am more engaged in conversations with others. My OVD is deminished. The only real side effect I am feeling right now is tinnitus 

 

Excellent, ST. Proves your brain and nervous system aren't broken and you will recover. 

 

And it also proves that we really don't need as much sleep as we think we do (or as much as doctors say we do).

 

I hope this helps you in the nighttime hours, which can be brutal due to the insomnia. This will get better. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

 

Link to post
SecondTime

Bigger windows

 

In a big window now, almost lethargic. If it wasn’t for a the tinnitus and a burning in my stomach, I would think anything was wrong with me. The only real issues I had yesterday was some depression at my second job, maybe lack of sleep and fatigue taking it’s toll. In a few months, I will be able to get to one job and take care of myself better.

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
SecondTime

So, I think I am dependent on Ativan for sure. Around 2-3pm each day, I start feeling a little more anxious with chest discomfort. 

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
  • Administrator
18 hours ago, SecondTime said:

So, I think I am dependent on Ativan for sure. Around 2-3pm each day, I start feeling a little more anxious with chest discomfort. 

 

According to your signature, you stopped the Ativan on January 12 and started Restoril on January 14. 

 

Please list the drugs you are taking, the doses, and the times of day you take them. Also include any supplements. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

 

Link to post
  • 4 weeks later...
SecondTime

Sorry I haven't updated in a while.  The last few weeks have been a night mare.  I was suppose to see a new doc, but they wouldn't accept my insurance.  Several doctors would not continue my Ativan prescription.  On February 2, I went to the ER because all my muscle tighten up.  They put 1 mg of Ativan in my IV, ugh.  i do think it was benzo withdrawal.  Went to my original GP and he wouldn't renew my Ativan prescription.  I had to updose to .75 Ativan since coming back from the ER so I was in a bad spot.  He only gave me pills for 3 days and told me to stop.  I was able  to finally find a new doc, but they put me Klonopin and want me to taper off in 3 weeks.  The crossover was horrible.  I know this isn't a benzo group, but I am totally lost.

 

i was able to get to 18.75mg of Zoloft without many issues until the whole benzo nightmare started.  I much rather do the Zoloft taper first, but it looks like time isn't on my side for the benzos.  I have 3 refills left on my Zoloft so that won't be an issue for a while.  My big worry is the adverse affect i had on the Zoloft.  I did some research and my family has had an adverse reaction to medications.  

 

I know you all probably won't have much advice for me, but wanted to let you know what is going on.

 

Updated my signature next.

 

 

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post
quickquestion

Hi Secondtime - I am sorry you're going through this. Did you have any sort of adverse reaction to celexa when you were on it almost 10 years ago? It seems that people are far more likely to experience adverse reactions if they took SSRIs in the past. 

Late Dec 2019 - due to misdiagnosed brain injury, I was put on 20mg paxil (ramped up from 10mg) and 50 seroquel for sleep 

May 2020 - down to 15mg paxil (stayed for 3.5 weeks) - minimal withdrawal

June 2020 - down to 10 mg paxil (stayed for 2 weeks) - minimal withdrawal

June 2020 - down to 5 mg paxil (stayed for 12 weeks) - flu like symptoms that would come in waves, insomnia randomly at week 10

September 2020 - 0 mg paxil and have been at this for two weeks. Moderate depression, anxiety, and strong insomnia - debating what to do

Link to post
SecondTime

It actually all started with an antibiotic 10 years ago.  The Celexa probably made it worse.

August 2011-October 2011 Celexa, Trazodone, klonopin. November 2011-January 2012 Depakote 

November 2020-December 2020 Testosterone Enanthate ((TRT)

December 10, 2020- 25mg Sertraline, 1 mg Ativan at night 

December 11, 2020-50mg Sertraline, .50 mg Ativan at night 

January 1, 2021 tapered to .25mg Ativan at night 

January 8, 2021 tapered to .125 Ativan

January 9, 2021 tapered to 37.5 Sertraline 

January 12, 2021-Stopped Ativan

January 14, 2021-tapered to 25 Sertraline. Started 15 mg Restoril

January 21, stopped Restoril. It wouldn’t work after a few nights. 
January 22. 25 Ativan

Current side affects-insomnia, restlessness, hyperarousal, some mania, poor concentration, memory issues, confusion, digestive issues, restless leg syndrome. Supplements-fish oil, magnesium

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy