Yesyes123: Will I ever be able to quit Lexapro?

Yesyes123

• Mentor

Hi mmt,

I will gather all the information on my drug use and withdrawal history and add it to my signature later on today.

Thank you so much for all the kind support. I am feeling a lot better and much more hopeful for the future.

I honestly cannot thank you enough. I dont know where I would be mentally right now if it wasnt for this website.

I think I attended to all questions

I havent slept properly in probably 2 weeks. Mostly 2 hour sleep nights.

Today I feel like I will be able to get some sleep knowing what I have ahead of me on this lifetime - and that I will definitely be able to be off drugs in about 3 years or so of very slow tapering. Time will pass!

Have a great day.

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

Hello, I am having REALLY bad anxiety and insomnia. Suicidal thoughts, all that. I really need you guys help. 

I wonder if a cut down to 10mg at this point would be a bad idea? I have been taking 10mg for nearly 6 years everyday and now have been on 15mg/ day for about 3 months. I feel like I am beginning to stabilize but still having a TON more anxiety. I never had anxiety this bad before. My heart is racing really fast. 

Please mods, do you think I could go to 10mg to try to avoid these symptons? Or that would be insane since I'm only beginnig to stabilize on 15mg now? Thank you

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

Please consider the following: I had been on 10mg day Escitalopram for about 6 years and tried tapering off for about 2 months in June/ July last year (2020).

August and September I felt fine with minor side effects. October I crashed and had the worst time of my life, and that's when I reinstated 10mg. Then I saw the psychiatrist and he upped it to 15mg a day which is whas I have been on ever since. Am now suffering from severe anxiety, insomnia and heart racing, please tell me if a cut to 10mg day now would be a terrible idea. I think I should wait until 15mg / day stabilizes to even think of changing the dosage. But the anxiety/ insomnia is really hard to cope. Maybe going back to 10mg will help because my body has been used to it for years. Please help me thank you so much

Hello, 

I can relate. On 20 mg for 8 years. Quit once and had to go back on after 4 months because I was told that the anxiety/panic and other symptoms were my anxiety returning. Then I went off over a 6 week period in March 2019 and have been off since. I didn't know any better about how to go off and followed my doctor's advice. Exactly 4 months later the severe anxiety came back. But I watched it more and realized it was NOT the original anxiety. The original was more generalized and took a lot to get to severe. This was like my old anxiety on steroids. And I had panic attacks which I never had before escitalopram. So, I stayed off and have just endured the symptoms, because by the time I found SA it was too late to reinstate. It will be 2 years off in March and I'm still dealing with symptoms. Sometimes they are really, really hard. But, I'm not going back so I can only go forward. I don't have an answer to your dosage question because I don't have that experience, but I do want you to know that I get it and have had a similar experience. Hang in there!

MarieR

started 20 mg escitalopram 2011

failed CT attempt 2014 (4 months off)

back on 20 mg escitalopram 2014

began too fast taper (dr. recommendation, didn't know better) Jan. 2019

Taper: 3/4 of pill 4 weeks, 1/2 of pill 2 weeks and 1/4 of pill for 2 weeks

Off meds Mar. 7, 2019

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Yesyes123,

I would try some non-drug coping first.

Just breathe sometimes helped me a lot.  The in through the nose for 4 seconds, and then hold for 7, and then a nice slow exhale for 8 seconds.  

The 4-7-8 breathing.  As you are doing it, just try and bring your mind back to your breath.

Do go on back when you feel a bit more relaxed, and begin to read and review the links I gave you on tapering, the why taper by 10%, and then there is one specific to Lexapro.

And then when you feel ready to taper, start with just a 10% reduction from the 15 mg.  Which would be a dose of 13.5 mg.

What are you working with, as far as your Lexapro goes right now?

Your nervous system is pretty distressed right now.

Yes, yes......work on the signature too, when able.

And give us a day of some notes too, or show us how it looks in a 24 hour period, in regard to your drug(s).

Keep daily notes of drug schedules and symptoms to track patterns and progress

And then just stay simple with it, note the time(s) on the left, and then on the right, note your drug(s) by name and dosage.  Keep on noting times throughout the day and night, and then on the right, note symptoms as they occur too.  Some will rate symptoms like anxiety on a 1-10 scale too.  On the right, note any thing that helps your symptoms too.  Also include sleep, activities, eating, etc. on the right.

And then post one full day, right here, in a reply.

This ^, the whole process, you'll find to be really helpful, going forward......in helping you to learn your mind/body, even spirit response to your drug(s) and then changes in them.  And then when you post them, it helps us see more objectively what might be affecting what.

Did you sleep last night?

And best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
bolding, elaboration

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Mentor
9 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

What are you working with, as far as your Lexapro goes right now?

I have been taking 15mg / day for about 3 months. Definitely see an improvement but am now having SO much anxiety and panic attacks.

I guess I'll have to stick with 15mg for now.

@Yesyes123  I agree that after three months it is a good idea to stay at your current dosage.  It is good sign you have seen an improvement.  

The breathing exercise recommended by @manymoretodays is easy to do and effective, but keep doing it even if it doesn't work at first.  If you know you tend to have issues at a particular time of day, you can also try doing the exercise beforehand to take the edge off later.

Peace and love❤     

Started .25 mg. clonazapam Oct. 2016

Started 10 mg. Celexa Dec. 2016

Started 10 mg. amitriptyline January 2017

Also took 60 mg. Dexilant Oct. 2016 through April 2017, successfully tapered off

Stopped Celexa successfully Oct. 2017

Fast taper of amitriptyline Dec. 2017, had major WD symptoms and reinstated at 10 mg. Jan. 2018

Slow amitryptyline taper started Mar. 2019, reduced from 10 mg. to 0.93 mg. currently

Also still taking .25 mg. clonazapam daily in late evening

• Mentor

Should I take magnesium citrate?

Hi @Yesyes123!

I just read through your thread and figured I'd give you some advice on what helped me through my Lexapro withdrawal. Please visit my profile and read through my thread if you'd like! I am NOT a medical professional or a moderator, so please do your own research and reading before you make any decisions during your withdrawal or taper schedule. 

First and foremost - your nervous system is going through ALOT right now after being on Lexapro for so long. It is going to take some time to stabilize, and it might be a slow process for you since Lexapro is such a strong SSRI. I suggest staying on your current dose until you feel better. I'd then come up with a plan for a SLOW taper. 

Some other things that helped me through my withdrawal from Lexapro AND Prozac:

- take it one day at a time! It is okay if all you can do is lay on the couch. Do what you can when you feel you're up for it

- talking to a therapist helped me work through my emotions, and could be a good option for you. Or maybe find a friend or 2 that are good support systems

- drink plenty of water and eat a HEALTHY diet...and make sure you eat enough food throughout the day

- try exercising or go for walks. It may be hard to get out of the house, but a little bit (even just a walk around the block) can help

- stop or decrease any nicotine 

- decrease your alcohol intake. Alcohol is a depressant and can really exacerbate your withdrawal symptoms 

- if your DRs don't believe in or understand protracted withdrawal, don't push it with them. If you want to do a slow taper, maybe tell them that you're really sensitive to SSRIs and go from there

Don't forget, everyone is different, so your experience with withdrawal might not be the same from the next person. Maybe keep track of your symptoms/emotions so you can get a better understanding of your progress. And although it may be hard, try and be as positive as possible. You will get through this! We all wish we could snap our fingers and feel better, but please don't dive into a rabbit hole trying to find a magic cure - this is going to take time. 

I hope you're able to feel better soon!

Lexapro: 2013 - mid August 2019 (20mgs, to 10 mgs for 1 week then 0mgs)

Zoloft: March 2018 - ? (200mgs - unsure of duration, around 2-4 weeks maybe; down to 100 mgs for 1 month, 50 mgs for 1 month; reinstated 20 mgs Lexapro shortly after)

Wellbutrin: mid August 2019 - mid September 2019 (150 mgs then CT)

Prozac: early October 2019 - 20 mgs  to 40 mgs on 11/24/2019; 30 mgs in July 2020; 20 mgs Sept 2020; 10 mgs October 22 2020; 15 mgs 11/13/2020

My intro:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21906-ruuree-my-experience-with-lexapro-withdrawal/

• Mentor

Thank you so much RuuRee.

• Mentor

What kind of foods should I be eating? I saw that red meat/ fat foods are good? I know Alto is probably busy helping a lot of people but please, if any mod can have a word with me, please post it here, I am struggling so much at such a young age.

• Mentor

I have no words to express my gratitude for this forum. You guys literally saved/ are saving my life.

Please, post as much as you can on here with advice, maybe success stories from long term Escitalopram use, anything that might help... this is what's keeping me going.

18 hours ago, Yesyes123 said:

I have been taking 15mg / day for about 3 months. Definitely see an improvement but am now having SO much anxiety and panic attacks.

I guess I'll have to stick with 15mg for now.

I am not a doctor or a moderator but there is a chance that anxiety and panic attacks are related to the increased dose of drug (15mg). Ask the moderators if they would suggest a5% reduction (so from 15mg to 14.25mg) to see if u feel better. Did u have anxiety/panic when you were at 10mg?

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

On 1/20/2021 at 12:47 AM, Yesyes123 said:

What kind of foods should I be eating? I saw that red meat/ fat foods are good? I know Alto is probably busy helping a lot of people but please, if any mod can have a word with me, please post it here, I am struggling so much at such a young age.

Avoid coffee, sugar, and alcohol is my advice. 

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• Mentor
2 minutes ago, JesusSavemefromWD said:

Did u have anxiety/panic when you were at 10mg?

I never had Anxiety/ panic EVER before Escitalopram or during all those years on it. My heart is also racing soooo much it's scary

3 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

I never had Anxiety/ panic EVER before Escitalopram or during all those years on it. My heart is also racing soooo much it's scary

That makes me think it is too high of a dose for you. Unfortunately u cannot be sure unless u try to reduce and see what happens.... ask a moderator 

try also EMDR therapy, it helped me a bit with panic. Look it up online it is no drug related technique 

Symptoms while on zoloft

• Mentor

That makes sense. I am patiently waiting for the mods to come. I pm'd one of the mods and was very kindly instructed to post any following questions here, so I will do as instructed.

• Mentor

If any mods happen to arrive in this topic today, here's a summary of my current doubts:

- October last year I reinstated Escitalopram 10mg after about 2 months off (insane WD)

- Late october Psychiatrist upped the dosage to 15mg which is what I've been on since (about 3 months)

- Getting strong panic/anxiety/insomnia/heart racing a LOT (never had any of these before) should I cut down to 14.5mg to try to help with these symptons?

- I definitely feel an improvement though while on 15mg in the recent times.

- Would it be ok to take Liquid Escitalopram with Sorbitol? Compound farmacy said they can do that.

Dear yesyes,

hope you are hanging in there. 

- Regarding your question about nutrition and eating. I have also noticed a huge difference depending on how I ate in the past. There are many different suggestions on here. My way is to cut out mostly any spicy food, garlic, onion, tomatoes, coffein, soda drinks as good as possible (anything that heats the body even more than it already is and it is a lot heated, thats what I feel at least).

I mostly it vegetables with rice or some other grains, some sorts of stews, currys that I make myself (bec in the past you can buy there is a lot of garlic and onion) and a lot of oatmeal porridge with oat milk.

Sometimes I get meat cravings and then that is what I eat. Trying to listen to my body. Also I cook with a loot of olive oil, coconut oil and ghee.

This is only my way, you will find other things on here but that is what I find helpful. Before this happened I ate pretty unhealthy, so maybe that is one good part of it, that you want to be more gentle with your body. If you have any questions you can always PM me.

- for calming down there is a lot of information on this forum, I also know „The Breathing App“ which is also very useful and easy to use. It is guided breathing, you can choose a time and frequence and it is guided with sound, maybe it is helpful.

-I think it is really interesting how so many people going through this have a distinct wish after to help others later on, who maybe never thought like this before, it is also like this for me, so that’s another good thing (always looking for the positives)

I wish you all the best, you will definitely get through this.

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

And you can be proud and happy you refused the antipsychotic, that was very brave in your situation and I congratulate you on following your instincts, I certainly didnt in the beginning.

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, Yesyes123 said:
On 1/16/2021 at 8:18 AM, Yesyes123 said:

Please check the posts i made  on the forum if you can

Hey YesYes, Please make all your main questions here, this is where the mods will check up on you.  This is a huge site, and we are all volunteers - so if you could copy and paste those posts here, so that we can read your story all in one place, that would be helpful.

Welcome to SA, YesYes.  (BTW, "Yes" is my favourite band, 1968 - present!)

It doesn't matter WHICH drug you were on from an early age, whether it was Lexapro or any other antidepressant.  Lexapro is strong, but each of the antidepressants has its own idiosyncracies.  Some hit a lot of receptors, others have short half-life, still others have long-acting formulations, making them difficult to split.

The answer is YES you can get off, but it will require some technique on your part.  You will need to learn to split your tablets, probably making a liquid, since lexapro is so strong.

What was your original dose?  Please put this in your signature.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:48 AM, Yesyes123 said:

Would a switch to 10mg/day cause trouble at this point?

YES it would cause trouble.  This is too large of a drop.  Please read:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Also, please read:  

Tips for tapering off Lexapro

The most important thing in withdrawal is not to try a bunch of stuff.   You will be tempted to try this supplement or that - Magnesium & Fish oil are the only ones we recommend.  You want to keep it Stable, Simple, and Slow:

3 KIS's Keep It Simple, Slow, Stable  

On 1/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, Yesyes123 said:

Taper off - June/ July

Way too fast.  See 10% - I have sent you the link, and manymoretodays has also sent you this link.  This fast taper is nearly equivalent to a cold turkey.

On 1/14/2021 at 1:32 PM, Yesyes123 said:

Should I just take it forever? Is it worth tapering off? 

Yes, it is.  The longer you are on it, the more possible health problems it can cause.  These drugs don't just affect our brain, they also affect our liver, metabolism, endocrine, hormones, digestion, sexuality, and more.  For example 90% of the body's serotonin is in the gut.  People don't notice until after years, they get mysterious ailments - IBS, loss of sex drive, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, headaches, cardiovascular problems, etc.

So coming off, and learning to manage your own mood, is key.  The drugs cannot manage your mood - only you can do that.
Dealing with Emotional Spirals

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9671-intrusive-thoughts-and-increased-panic/

Is It Always Going to be Like This?

There is a whole section of the Self Care forum devoted to "non drug techniques for coping" - and I recommend you cruise around there to find out what resonates for you.  What helped me immensely is yoga, breathing, tai chi, and even karate (to get those more intense emotions out!).  And then, when I settled enough, meditation.  But it is different for everyone.

How long until escitalopram 15mg/ day stabilizes again and I can feel like I used to when I was on it these past years?

As long as it takes.
Keep notes on paper

It is up to you to mind your journey, and track your symptoms.  I found that it took me 6 months, and most of the symptoms were halved.  

It is vital that you stabilise before tapering again, you want your journey to be "steady as she goes."

- What else can I do to help me stabilize? 

See what I wrote above about "non-drug technniques" and look here:  Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms  

- Should I take supplements?

Not really.  We only recommend Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil  as these help you heal, and lubricate the system.

- Should I quit coffee?

I would reduce it.  My own tapering, I continued to use coffee, but I reduced it to only one cup a day, or drank tea instead.  Others here have had to eliminate coffee, which is easy to do by tapering it, as well.  Half-caf (I grind my own beans, so - half caffeinated, half de-caff) is a good way to reduce your caffeine intake.

- What should my diet be like?

Everyone is different.  I tend to be on the paleo/keto side of things, finding that sugar spikes and carbohydrates (starches) become a mood management problem in themselves.

So I eat meat, and fats - coconut oil is my good friend.  Leafy green vegetables are the best way to get your B vitamins, as taking vitamins can be destabilising for many people.

That's me.  You are an experiment of N=1.  By keeping a log of what you eat, what you do - finding out what sets you off, what soothes you - you will set up your own regimen.  But approach your transformation like a science experiment.  If you keep good data, it will become clear to you.  If you just "go by your feelings" (without a log), you could run into trouble.

On 1/16/2021 at 8:21 AM, Yesyes123 said:

How do I manage overthinking and imagining what my life would be like if I had never been put onto these death pills? This is the hardest part I think.

I sent you to an article above, but it is so important, I will post it again here, written by the fabulous BrassMonkey:
Dealing with Emotional Spirals

There are many of us who have lost years of our lives.  I, too, wonder what my life would be like if I never had started in the 80's, to experiment with antidepressants.  You are fortunate, in that you have only been on one - doctors who make a lot of switches trying to "perfect" mood, cause more problems than they solve.  I know people who lost 20, 30, 40 years of their lives, as the drugs transformed them into "patients" and they relied on doctor for everything.  I know people who are permantly lost in the drugs, having been on them all their lives, and afraid to face life without them.

You are brave for addressing this now.  Acknowledge that, be kind to yourself.  You only lost 6 years, and while you may need to still experience adolescence and the emotional growth which takes place during a normal adolescence, you have a lot of advantages that many of us did not.  

Myself (see from my signature the link to my success story) - I changed my brain when I was in my 20's, and didn't get it back until I was in my 40's.  Between ages 30 and 40, I was a zombie with no interest, anhedonia, no cares.  It is a miracle I am here today.  I'm thankful that you did not submit to the lithium and seroquel (I was on those, too).

On 1/18/2021 at 5:23 AM, Yesyes123 said:

The last few months I have been crying everyday for absolutely everything. That is slowly fading, I am crying less. 

Neuro-emotion

Withdrawal exaggerates feelings.  The feelings may be real - but it is like you are experiencing them under an electron microscope - the small things seem so huge!

I know I'm putting out a lot of links today.  Please, read and re-read this post, and the associated links, and hopefully you can start to put together a path for yourself to follow.

It is important that you be self-reliant.  We can't fly down to Brasil and help if you run into strife, so it is very important that we (you, and SA) do this carefully!

On 1/18/2021 at 12:18 PM, Yesyes123 said:

that means I will eventually get back to where I was right?

No.  You will never be the same again, and this is a good thing.  You were put on the drugs for some sort of coping difficulty.  It may have been minor, you may have had outside experiences which led you to cope poorly.

After you have been through Withdrawal University, you will be more self-reliant, you will be thankful for emotions and feelings, you will be clear-headed, and you will be able to choose your path instead of letting the drugs and doctors choose for you.

I need a lot more information from your signature.  What is the date that you increased from 10 mg to 15mg?

I wonder if a cut down to 10mg at this point would be a bad idea?

YES this is a very bad idea.  First, it is too large of a drop.  Second it is too soon after your destabilisation.  Again, knowing the dates of your changes will help us immensely.

Should I take magnesium citrate?

Read the thread on Magnesium .  Citrate often gives people runny poo.  There are other chelated forms which are better.  Personally I have settled on 1 Mag glycinate, 1 mag taurate daily.  PLUS I take Epsom Salts - Another Way to Relax with Magnesium  Magnesium baths.  VERY soothing, good for insomnia and tense muscles.

It does sound like 15 mg is too high.

You could do a 5-10% reduction, and see how that feels.  If it feels better, then that is the right direction.

How do you make such tiny reductions?

How to Make a Liquid from Tablets or Capsule

How to Cut Up Tablets or Pills Using A Pill Cutter

Using a Digital Scale to Measure Doses

Lordy, that was a long post, and I'm sorry for that, but I have a lot of hope for you, and wanted to give you all the tools you will need to start creating your path away from the drugs.

I hope you see the sun today!

JanCarol

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Yesyes123,

And thanks for getting your signature done.

On 1/20/2021 at 12:17 PM, Yesyes123 said:

If any mods happen to arrive in this topic today, here's a summary of my current doubts:

- October last year I reinstated Escitalopram 10mg after about 2 months off (insane WD)

- Late october Psychiatrist upped the dosage to 15mg which is what I've been on since (about 3 months)

- Getting strong panic/anxiety/insomnia/heart racing a LOT (never had any of these before) should I cut down to 14.5mg to try to help with these symptons?

- I definitely feel an improvement though while on 15mg in the recent times.

- Would it be ok to take Liquid Escitalopram with Sorbitol? Compound farmacy said they can do that.

Why did the psychiatrist up your dosage to 15 mg of Lexapro in October?

What kind of symptoms did you have then?

And have they improved?

When did you start getting the strong panic/anxiety/insomnia/heart racing?  Did you tell your psychiatrist about these symptoms?

We recommend a slow cross over to liquid, if you do decide to go with a pharmacy liquid.

Without changing your dose:

days 1-3 go with 3/4 dose solid form and 1/4 liquid

days 4-6 go with 1/2 dose in solid and 1/2 dose in liquid

days 7-10 go with 1/4 dose solid and 3/4 dose liquid

And then to your full dose in liquid.  Sometimes when changing formula's, absorption of your medication is a bit altered, and can cause some flucuations, or bumps, briefly. 

I saw that you were currently taking a 10 mg tablet + 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet to get your daily dose of 15 mg. 

Are you using a pill splitter and getting accurate splits?

Have you gotten a chance to look at the tips for tapering Lexapro topic yet?  That doesn't cover the shift to liquid, but does have some good information in it.

And okay, I see that JanCarol has replied as well.

So keep us updated.  After you've taken a look at the links I gave you awhile back, we can see about getting you started with a 10% taper, which would be down to 13.5 mg of Lexapro, as I noted previously here.

And do use the non-drug coping suggests, begin to practice, and find some good techniques.  You may find some on your own even.  Do you have any non-drug support where you are, therapist or friends, coaches?

Oh best. Yesyes123.  Have you been over-relating to everything here, in a tough way?  When is your best part of the day?  When do you take your Lexapro? 

You are doing fine, you will be okay.

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Oh, yes, you could get started on Magnesium or Omega 3's now, prior to tapering too.  I'm going to look back and see if I gave you the links to those topics now.  Ah, JanCarol gave it to you above.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

New research points that the human Brain keeps changing structurally till middle adulthood. In addition to structural changes, functional alterations (for example synapse connections, neurotransmittion balance, even neurogenesis in some part of the brain, keep taking place much longer during our life span. 

Symptoms while on zoloft

• Mentor
9 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Why did the psychiatrist up your dosage to 15 mg of Lexapro in October?

To start this off, there is absolutely no way to justify any of the actions of this psychiatrist. He simply doesn't know what he is doing.

I was manic for a while, had insane mood swings, was suicidal, couldn't sleep, all because of Lexapro and he still decided to up my dosage.

That was before I found SA.

• Mentor

Firstly - Thank you for saving my life.

You guys are angels and are going to heaven FOR SURE!

After nearly 4 months in this dosage,

I am thankfully beginning to stabilize

on 15mg/day Escitalopram (Lexapro)🧠

I have been studying this website obsessively and found so much life-saving information.

I'm currently taking about 2000mg Long Release Vitamin C tablets per day + Lots of fruit (Kiwi especially, which has the most Vitamin C)

The Vitamin C seems to really soothe the Cortisol spikes I've been getting and had been making it impossible to sleep

I'm eating fish everyday for the Omega 3 Fatty Acids - Raw salmon, and others. Trying to find Mackerel (which has the biggest Omega 3 rates)

but having a hard time finding that one. I'm hoping the raw salmon will help me get more Omega 3 than cooked salmon.

I ordered 1L of Magnesium Citrate in liquid form (25mg per mL) from a local compounding pharmacy and will get my hands on that later on today

From what I read, people can take up to 500mg per day with no issues other than runny poo sometimes.

I do get runny poo quite easily so I might have to go slow from there. Anyway,

I will start taking 25mg Magnesium Citrate in ice water (As Alto said she did) 4x per day.

Maybe 100mg Before bedtime to aid sleep.

I also ordered 5kg Epsom Salt and should be getting that today.

I will soak my feet in hot water and 2 Cups of Epsom Salt since I do not have a bathtub

I'm going to try to be brief and attend to everything posted here in this single response

On 1/21/2021 at 11:03 PM, JanCarol said:

What was your original dose?

Started at 5mg Lexapro for about 1 month when I was 15 years old, then have been on 10mg ever since. Psych upped it to 15mg in late october 2020 (TERRIBLE idea but it's what I have to work with now)

On 1/21/2021 at 11:03 PM, JanCarol said:

What is the date that you increased from 10 mg to 15mg?

Late october, I don't know the exact day, but I have been on 15mg for nearly 4 months and ONLY NOW beginning to stabilize (THANK GOD)

Thanks for saving my life.

I love you all.

• Moderator Emeritus
  10 hours ago, JanCarol said:

What was your original dose?

Started at 5mg Lexapro for about 1 month when I was 15 years old, then have been on 10mg ever since. Psych upped it to 15mg in late october 2020 (TERRIBLE idea but it's what I have to work with now)

10 hours ago, JanCarol said:

What is the date that you increased from 10 mg to 15mg?

Late october, I don't know the exact day, but I have been on 15mg for nearly 4 months

Please get these details to your signature, so that we don't have to wade through your thread everytime to check your progress.  Then, everywhere you post, we will see things like, "Oh was put on at young age, started low, but increased over the years.. Taper dates (and speed if possible), Date of last dose, date of reinstatement, dose of reinstatement."  These help us so much to know!  

And if any psychiatrist knew what they were doing they would have reinstated at 5 mg, not 15.  egads.  But it's so common.  It's de rigeur in the practice of medicine and psychiatry.  "If some is good, more is better," and the corrollary (the killer), "If some is bad, more is better."  I don't get the logic, but that's how it's prescribed.

And you're welcome.  You got this.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Mentor
6 minutes ago, JanCarol said:

Please get these details to your signature, so that we don't have to wade through your thread everytime to check your progress.

Thanks, I updated my signature. 

3 hours ago, Yesyes123 said:

To start this off, there is absolutely no way to justify any of the actions of this psychiatrist. He simply doesn't know what he is doing.

I was manic for a while, had insane mood swings, was suicidal, couldn't sleep, all because of Lexapro and he still decided to up my dosage.

That was before I found SA.

When I told my psychiatrist that immediately after starting Zoloft I had hours of depersonalization, derealization and horrific dead like full out of my body experiences (Never had any of these before in my life and I am 40 years old), he asked:

What dose are u on?

25mg I said. 
He replied: that’s the problem , ur not at a therapeutic dose, increase to 50mg and if this doesn’t work will probably add an antipsychotic as well🤯

If I didn’t have the background I have in neuroscience , I would have just done that.... but no, I started realizing how clueless psychiatrists area and how they blindly trust what are fed by pharmaceutical companies, as well as that They DONT keep up with current scientific literature and just stay with what they have read in their medical books yearsssss agooo. This is criminal,!!!! I also realized that clinical trials for AD don’t last years so no one really knows the long term side effects of these drugs. Despite that many doctors have their patients on AD for yearssss. I started tapering immediately and even though I ve been through hell the last 3 months OFF the drug, I think I saved my life. Grateful to this site as well cause if I didn’t know that short term AD use has caused a lot of damage to other people , I would have been convinced by doctors friends and family around me that I am loosing my mind and need all kinds of medication ....

Symptoms while on zoloft

• Moderator Emeritus

@Yesyes123

Your system is very sensitized, and I think a very slow taper would be the best way for you to proceed.  I just finished a 4-year taper off 20mg Lexapro, which I'd been on for 16 years.  It definitely can be done, and you can do it.  You just need to taper very slowly.

The taper method I used was the Brasmmonkey slide taper.  You reduce by 2.5% of your current dose every week for 4 weeks, followed by a 2-week hold.  This tis the method I used and it worked very well for me.  You might want to taper a bit more slowly, perhaps 1.5% per week or even just 1% per week.  This link explains the method.

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

This link is specifically about tapering Lexapro, including how to get the nonstandard doses you'll need for your taper.  If liquid Lexapro is available in Brazil, that wold be a good method.  You can also make your own liquid or, if the Gemini 20 scale is available on Amazon you can use it to weigh your doses.

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Here are some answers to specific questions you raised in your thread.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:49 AM, Yesyes123 said:

It's so sad they put me on this at age 15 when I had absolutely no clue what it was. I only had some trouble with school and they altered my biology forever because of it. I'm feeling hopeless about this and starting to accept I might have to take it forever.

We have several members who were drugged at a very young age and have fully recovered and are doing well.  You can to.  There is no necessity to stay on this drug for the rest of your life.  My psychiatrists told me I'd need to stay on Lexapro for the rest of my life, and I'm now Lexapro-free.  You just need to taper very slowly.

last year tried to taper it off for nearly 2 months which obviously isn't nearly as long as you should with this drug.

You tapered very very fast, which is what caused your problem.  Now you know you have to go very slowly.  

I feel like since I grew up on it I might never be able to stop it.

This is not true at all.  The brain has a remarkable ability to heal itself, called neuroplasticity.  

I can slowly feel myself getting a grip over me again and honestly I'm thankful for being alive, despite all I've gone through.

I plan to maintain the 15mg/ day dose for a semester at the very least so I don't have to worry about experiencing anything like that again during this period.

That's a very encouraging sign that you're stabilizing.  I think it's fine to wait before tapering.  If you feel that you need to wait, then that's what you need to do.

- How long until escitalopram 15mg/ day stabilizes again and I can feel like I used to when I was on it these past years?

- What else can I do to help me stabilize? 

- Should I take supplements?

- Should I quit coffee?

- How long until I can start tapering off?

- What should my diet be like?

There's no way to predict how long it will take to stabilize.  It can take several months.  Hold where you are at 15mg and make no further changes.  We do not recommend adding new drugs to help you stabilize.

A gentle walk in nature is helpful.  Take a look at these non-drug techniques for coping. They can really help.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Caffeine in coffee is very stimulating.  You need to stay calm.  You could slowly wean yourself off the coffee.  Sugary drinks like Coca Cola are best avoided.  They are too stimulating.

You can start tapering off when you feel stable from the reinstatement.  "Stable" means your symptoms are more or less the same from day to day without big swings or changes.

A healthy diet free of processed foods would be good.  Avoid monosodium glutamate (msg).  It is present in many, many foods and can make withdrawal worse.  

On 1/18/2021 at 10:59 PM, Yesyes123 said:

then quit cold turkey and then was diagnosed bipolar and has been on all those insane antipsychotic meds for years.

This is the kind of uninformed psychiatric diagnosis that is all too common in psychiatry.  

On 1/18/2021 at 11:18 PM, Yesyes123 said:

But it's tough because he said he was on escitalopram himself for 10 years and never experienced problems switching to another drug. Says he is now on clomipramine.

When it is time for you to taper, I recommend you taper the Lexapro and not switch to another drug.  There is no way to predict the effect of another drug on you.  There are many drugs much more difficult to taper than Lexapro.  

On 1/18/2021 at 11:18 PM, Yesyes123 said:

Honestly I am trying my best not to attempt to explain this to anyone at the present moment.

That is wise.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

@Gridley, what an honor to have you here in my topic. You are a legend. 

I spent the last 3-4 days reading lots of things you posted.

Thank you so much for the amazing work. One day I will be a moderator on this website and I will help as many people I can.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there is a way to change my username on here?

I put this one when I was absolutely desperate and rushing through the forms

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, Yesyes123 said:

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there is a way to change my username on here?

Unless there is a special circumstance (such as your identity being recognizable from your username), because of the work involved in changing a username, we generally don't change usernames.  If your identity isn't recognizable, I'd suggest you stay with your current username (which I think is a very positive and upbeat name).

By the way, your English is excellent, and you deserve your A+ in your Cambridge class.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

How do you guys make such small changes in the delivery of liquid compounds? Do you use some sort of special microlitre syringe? 

• Mentor
3 hours ago, Gridley said:

By the way, your English is excellent, and you deserve your A+ in your Cambridge class

Thank you Legend!!

• Mentor

I am feeling OK. Pretty stable. Been able to sleep and relax.

I'm currently worried about this: I have a cavity that might start to hurt in about 3 - 4 weeks if not treated.

I wonder if it would be ok for me to go to the dentist and take anesthesia to get the cavity treated?

I'm thinking of waiting at least another month for my CNS to fully stabilize before doing that, and brush/floss my teeth a lot until then

Also is it ok to drink deaffeinated coffee? I read it still has up to 0.1% caffeine

• Moderator Emeritus

@Yesyes123

using-an-oral-syringe-and-other-tapering-techniques

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

When you get to the point that you are wanting very small doses instead of trying to measure with tiny syringes you can dilute with more water.  For example, instead of making a 1:1 ratio you can make a 1:2 or even 1:10.  But check out the topics, there is a lot of information in them already.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA where members discuss various things.  To find them I like to use a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

I prefer to get a non adrenaline injection.

It would be better to get it attended to before you need antibiotics and/or root canal treatment.

Do a search as explained about for dentist.

Regarding coffee.  If drinking decaffeinated coffee does not affect you then it is okay.  If you find that it does affect you then do not drink it.  We are all individuals and what one person can tolerate another might not.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management