Madness Network News archiving site

• Administrator

Admin note - see this post and the MiA article critical of the Redux website:  A note about the Redux site

For anyone interested in the history of the psychiatric survivors' movement, you may find this of interest. 

The MNN-Redux eLibrary: Preserving the history of the Psychiatric Survivor Movement

To find the various volumes available: Click on the red Madness Network News button and then find the menu item at the top labeled  e-Library, which has a dropdown of the different volumes available

Very glad to see this work is being preserved. 

I've also read a book compilation that's also available as a print copy: 

Madness Network News Reader

The brilliance of the 70s psychiatric survivors' movement was its ability to engage in consciousness-raising. Judi Chamberlin writes about that here:

Consciousness-Raising by Judi Chamberlin

Scroll down to page 8 of that PDF for her article (it's actually page 9 of the total PDF).

Edited by Shep
added admin note

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

This article was just published yesterday on the Mad in America site by someone associated with Madness Network News critical of the Redux site I just posted: 

The History of Madness Network News and the Early Anti-Psychiatry Movement

Note the below quote.

I’ve seen numerous very garbled descriptions of the early days of the survivors’ movement and the history of MNN, which has now culminated in a website calling itself Madness Network News Redux. The Redux site has listed a bunch of people as the editors, around half of whom are (or were, since some are now deceased) either mental health or legal professionals.

Some of the people listed never attended a single editorial meeting or contributed in any way to the production of the paper, or else were only involved in an extremely minimal way. The creators of the Redux site had nothing (zero) to do with the creation of Madness Network News, and never got the permission from any of the surviving editors to post the back issues, of which they are now trying to claim ownership.

Redux has violated the true history of MNN by erasing the fact that it was founded by two inmates of a psychiatric institution, Tulia Tesauro and Jennifer Gleissner. They are also trying to give the world the impression that over the many years of its existence, it was largely a joint effort of mental health professionals and people who had been on the receiving end of psychiatric “treatment.”

While the Redux site may have value in the PDFs of the original magazine, it may be problematic in other areas and may end up co-opting and corrupting the original intent of the founders. As the MiA article notes, this is not unprecedented.  

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.