Neon: Venlafaxine withdrawal

Neon

• Administrator

What times of day (o'clock) do you take your drugs, with their dosages?

Why are you taking Seroquel twice? What effect does it have on you?

Why are you taking trazodone AND zolpidem, if neither help you sleep?

Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Neon, 

You will need to sign in to Drugs.com to do a Interactions check of more than 2 drugs.

So, see how you do with that, and if need be, I'll run a check for you, and link to it.

Good to have you do it if you can.

22 hours ago, Neon said:

@Altostrata

My current drug schedule is

Morning: 10mg Venlafaxine

(I am not sure if it helps or not, my symptoms are so erratic)

Evening before bed:

100mg Seroquel

50mg Seroquel XR

150mg Trittico

1 Tablet Zolpidem (I have only been taking it for 2 weeks so should I maybe try to exchange it for Melatonin?)

500mg Magnesium Citrate

My symptoms are incredible, unbearable restlessness, a feeling of doom, the feeling as if I could never get better, it feels like electricity running through my body, fast pulse, palpitations, anxiety, or maybe I should call it terror that this will never end and just the feeling as though I want to rip off my skin... I can barely distract myself, I try to take walks or meditate but the feelings are so unbearable it is not always possible, every 5 minutes I check the clock hoping the day is over soon. The Zolpidem at night helps somewhat but I notice I am already building a tolerance, so not sure what to do about it

Everyone around me thinks it is rebound depression, some sort of agitated depression, thats also what the psychiatrists think.. and I dont know what to think anymore.. I have been in some form or another of withdrawal for 5 years.. prior to this worsening I thought the symptoms were getting slightly better.. and now this hell for 2 months..

before taking the antidepressant I never had anything like this but that was a long time ago.. I was only 20 years old... maybe I did develop some form of mental illness while on the antidepressant..

I keep thinking about this and what to do and I just dont know..

Would you see if you could list your drugs by name and dosage again, in a simple format with times on the left, and then the drugs, name and dosage, to the right.  Keep going with times on the left, throughout the day too, and note symptoms on the right.  Here's a sample note to help guide you in doing that:

Example:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

And oh Neon,  I'm so sorry.  I've been in and out of here a lot, since I got that post moved awhile ago.  I just read through this post too.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24045-neon-venlafaxine-withdrawal/?do=findComment&comment=537

And do not keep beating yourself up.  Over the mushrooms, and Peyote experiences.  It's unfortunate that whoever offered those substances and services was not aware of WD, or that it may not have been a great idea to try those things then.  I'm glad you are recovering from the psychosis and high anxiety that experiences like that may have induced too.  It just was bad timing.  You didn't know.

Also, attend to Alto's questions above.  And think about those questions.   If some of these drugs have just been started in the last two weeks or less, you may be able to get away from them just fine, well before dependency sets in. 

You are not beyond help, you do not have permanent damage.  This just all takes time, and patience, and a ton of self Love and perseverence.

I'll try and get back soon, or perhaps members or other mods have time.......to help you find some more support, and non-drug coping skills too.  Just buckle up, so to speak, for this new beginning to the start of freedom from psychotropic medications........

I'm pulling for you Neon.  We all are.  Breathe it all in.......  Give yourself a hug.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Dear @manymoretodays and @Altostrata,

thank you for your kind words and help..

I think I am beyond being able to do any of that.

My state is undescribable, I have no strength left.. I am highly suicidal.. the only thing that proves some relief is benzos..

I broke my brain into a state I cant tolerate. I will probably have to go to the clinic again and become a guinea pig for the doctors.. I already have the diagnosis of bipolar.. never had a manic episode in my life..

I dont have any willpower left, I am sorry to have wasted your time.

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

• Administrator

@Neon is it more likely your symptoms are adverse reactions to the drugs you're taking. For example, you might be having an adverse reaction to trazodone the following day. We need more information about the drug interactions and your daily symptom pattern, as @manymoretodaysdescribed.

On 7/1/2021 at 12:15 PM, Neon said:

@Altostrata

My current drug schedule is

Evening before bed:

100mg Seroquel

50mg Seroquel XR

150mg Trittico

1 Tablet Zolpidem (I have only been taking it for 2 weeks so should I maybe try to exchange it for Melatonin?)

500mg Magnesium Citrate

How do you feel before and after you take 10mg venlafaxine in the morning?

Why are you taking Seroquel in a split dosage?  How long have you been taking it this way?

If zolpidem isn't helping anything, I'd taper off it in a quick taper: Take 3/4 tablet for 3 nights, then 1/2 tablet for 3 nights, then 1/4 tablet. Keep notes throughout this process. If at any point you are sleeping better, stop there.

At what times of day are your symptoms worse? Keep track of your symptoms in your daily notes, as requested.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/3/2021 at 3:23 AM, Neon said:

My state is undescribable, I have no strength left.. I am highly suicidal.. the only thing that proves some relief is benzos..

I broke my brain into a state I cant tolerate. I will probably have to go to the clinic again and become a guinea pig for the doctors.. I already have the diagnosis of bipolar.. never had a manic episode in my life..

I dont have any willpower left, I am sorry to have wasted your time.

Hi Neon,

Here's your  Drug Interaction Report

** and I just went ahead and copied it in the next reply box here, so it's linked to that now

I went ahead and included the Lorazepam too.  And that's okay, but you don't want to over do with a Z drug and a benzo.   Right now, you are overmedicated with brakes, or drugs meant to slow you down, and one of the consequences is that can make you feel so very hopeless.

If it were me, and I got relief from Lorazepam, I would be making haste to quick taper off the zolpidem.

Take a look at some of those interactions too, further down the list.  You may want to at least space any lorazepam , away from the quetiapine or Seroquel for now.  Reserve it's use for when you are really feeling the internal agitation in the daytime perhaps.  As you'll see, the Seroquel with Lorazapam, increases the Lorazapam levels.

17 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If zolpidem isn't helping anything, I'd taper off it in a quick taper: Take 3/4 tablet for 3 nights, then 1/2 tablet for 3 nights, then 1/4 tablet. Keep notes throughout this process. If at any point you are sleeping better, stop there.

Do exactly what you did before with NOTES.

Now note the date at the top

And also, note the time, over here on the left.

So you start a day in the morning.

Time- when you wake up

Time- symptoms

Time- eating

Time- showered?

Time- any activities, symptoms, you could say agitated, highly anxious, coming out of my skin, etc. etc. as they occur, and noting sometimes retrospectively of course

Time- what's happening before you take Lorazepam

Time- Lorazepam?  name of drug and dosage

Time- symptoms

Time- symptoms or if feeling better or worse

Time- Seroquel, SeroquelXR, Zolpidem  name of drug(s) and dosages

Time- retrospectively perhaps, yet how your night went

scribble stuff down on paper, and then note it here like the sample note:

On 7/2/2021 at 12:30 PM, manymoretodays said:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

And then, try another days NOTES, and post when you've got a good 24 hours done, or post 2 days at once, however you can do it.

Neon, you HAVE NOT wasted our time.  I don't want to see you be a guinea pig again or go on back to hospital or controlling doctors/psychiatrists.  I'm doubtful that you have any more bipolar than the rest of the population of humans.  It's diagnonsense, that really isn't helpful at all anymore.

I know you are tired, weary, sick of being this sick........I get it, I lived it too.

Try and stay with us though, give us a bit more information when you can.

I liked Alto's idea for the Zolpidem.  So maybe focus on that right now.  Let us know how you are sleeping too, at night.  And let us know, what the usage of Lorazepam, is like(dose) each day and when. 

Just try a NOTE form.  Look at doing one days worth like a brain enhancing activity while you are feeling so weary and impaired.

And then just post narratives in a separate reply box or above or below the notes.

Just going to type it loud here too:  IT DOES GET BETTER.  YOU ARE WORTH IT.

Okay sweetie, pulling for you, again......we all are, in unison too........universal good intentions and thoughts for Neon!!!!!

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
** linked to next post, so I can sign out of Drugs.com

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Drug Interaction Report-  copied from Drugs.com/ Drug Interactions Checker

(and one does need to create an account and sign in now, whenever checking more than 2 drugs.  So, as I'm presently signed out of there, I copied this over, and pasted here)

This report displays the potential drug interactions for the following 5 drugs:

• Seroquel (quetiapine)
  • Seroquel XR (quetiapine)
  • trazodone
  • zolpidem
  • lorazepam
  • Consumer
  • Professional
Major (0)
Moderate (6)
Minor (0)
Food (3)
Therapeutic Duplication (3)

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

LORazepam

traZODone

Applies to: lorazepam, trazodone

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients. Sedation and impairment of attention, judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills may increase.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Cautious dosage titration may be required, particularly at treatment initiation. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

References

1. "Product Information. Belsomra (suvorexant)." Merck & Company Inc, Whitehouse Station, NJ.
  2. Plushner SL "Valerian: valeriana officinalis." Am J Health Syst Pharm 57 (2000): 328-35
  3. Grabowski BS, Cady WJ, Young WW, Emery JF "Effects of acute alcohol administration on propranolol absorption." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 18 (1980): 317-9
View all 36 references

Switch to consumer interaction data

Moderate

LORazepam

zolpidem

Applies to: lorazepam, zolpidem

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients. Sedation and impairment of attention, judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills may increase.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Cautious dosage titration may be required, particularly at treatment initiation. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

References

1. "Product Information. Belsomra (suvorexant)." Merck & Company Inc, Whitehouse Station, NJ.
  2. Plushner SL "Valerian: valeriana officinalis." Am J Health Syst Pharm 57 (2000): 328-35
  3. Grabowski BS, Cady WJ, Young WW, Emery JF "Effects of acute alcohol administration on propranolol absorption." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 18 (1980): 317-9
View all 36 references

Moderate

traZODone

zolpidem

Applies to: trazodone, zolpidem

References

View all 36 references

Moderate

traZODone

QUEtiapine

Applies to: trazodone, Seroquel (quetiapine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine)

GENERALLY AVOID: Trazodone may cause prolongation of the QT interval. Theoretically, coadministration with other agents that can prolong the QT interval may result in additive effects and increased risk of ventricular arrhythmias including torsade de pointes and sudden death. In experimental models, trazodone has been found to inhibit hERG-encoded cardiac potassium channels responsible for the rapid delayed rectifier K+ current (IKr)--an action that is considered a predictor of drug-induced QT prolongation. However, the extent to which trazodone may affect cardiac repolarization in clinical use has not been adequately studied. There have been postmarketing reports of torsade de pointes associated with immediate-release trazodone following overdose and in the presence of multiple confounding factors, even at dosages of 100 mg/day or less. In general, the risk of an individual agent or a combination of agents causing ventricular arrhythmia in association with QT prolongation is largely unpredictable but may be increased by certain underlying risk factors such as congenital long QT syndrome, cardiac disease, and electrolyte disturbances (e.g., hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia). In addition, the extent of drug-induced QT prolongation is dependent on the particular drug(s) involved and dosage(s) of the drug(s).

MANAGEMENT: Coadministration of trazodone with other drugs that can prolong the QT interval should generally be avoided. Caution and clinical monitoring are recommended if concomitant use is required. Trazodone should also not be used in patients with risk factors for QT prolongation. Hypokalemia and hypomagnesemia should be corrected prior to initiation of trazodone treatment and periodically monitored. Patients should be advised to seek prompt medical attention if they experience symptoms that could indicate the occurrence of torsade de pointes such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, palpitation, irregular heart rhythm, shortness of breath, or syncope. When trazodone is used in combination with other drugs that cause CNS and/or respiratory depression, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their doctor if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

References

1. "Product Information. Oleptro (traZODone)." Labopharm Inc, Laval, AL.
  2. Mazur A, Strasberg B, Kusniec J, Sclarovsky S "QT prolongation and polymorphous ventricular tachycardia associated with trasodone-amiodarone combination." Int J Cardiol 52 (1995): 27-9
  3. Antonelli D, Atar S, Freedberg NA, Rosenfeld T "Torsade de pointes in patients on chronic amiodarone treatment: contributing factors and drug interactions." Isr Med Assoc J 7 (2005): 163-5
View all 7 references

Moderate

LORazepam

QUEtiapine

Applies to: lorazepam, Seroquel (quetiapine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine)

MONITOR: The oral clearance of a single dose of lorazepam has been reported to be decreased by 20% when taken concomitantly with quetiapine. The mechanism of the interaction is unknown. Additionally, quetiapine may enhance the CNS effects of lorazepam.

MANAGEMENT: The clinician may consider closer clinical monitoring of the patient for lorazepam toxicity if quetiapine and lorazepam are coadministered. Patients should be advised to notify their physician if they experience symptoms such as excessive sedation, confusion, dizziness, or incoordination.

References

1. "Product Information. Seroquel (quetiapine)." Zeneca Pharmaceuticals, Wilmington, DE.

Moderate

zolpidem

QUEtiapine

Applies to: zolpidem, Seroquel (quetiapine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine)

References

View all 36 references

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs. This does not necessarily mean no other interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.

Drug and food interactions

Moderate

zolpidem

food

Applies to: zolpidem

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of zolpidem. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

ADJUST DOSING INTERVAL: Administration of zolpidem with food may delay the onset of hypnotic effects. In 30 healthy subjects, administration of zolpidem 20 minutes after a meal resulted in decreased mean peak plasma drug concentration (Cmax) and area under the concentration-time curve (AUC) by 25% and 15%, respectively, compared to fasting. The time to reach peak plasma drug concentration (Tmax) was prolonged by 60%, from 1.4 to 2.2 hours.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving zolpidem should be advised to avoid the consumption of alcohol. For faster sleep onset, zolpidem should not be administered with or immediately after a meal.

References

1. "Product Information. Ambien (zolpidem)." sanofi-aventis, Bridgewater, NJ.
  2. Yamreudeewong W, Henann NE, Fazio A, Lower DL, Cassidy TG "Drug-food interactions in clinical practice." J Fam Pract 40 (1995): 376-84

Moderate

LORazepam

food

Applies to: lorazepam

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

References

1. Gilman AG, Rall TW, Nies AS, Taylor P, eds. "Goodman and Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 8th ed." New York, NY: Pergamon Press Inc. (1990):
  2. "Product Information. Fycompa (perampanel)." Eisai Inc, Teaneck, NJ.
  3. Warrington SJ, Ankier SI, Turner P "Evaluation of possible interactions between ethanol and trazodone or amitriptyline." Neuropsychobiology 15 (1986): 31-7
View all 4 references

Moderate

traZODone

food

Applies to: trazodone

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

References

1. Gilman AG, Rall TW, Nies AS, Taylor P, eds. "Goodman and Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 8th ed." New York, NY: Pergamon Press Inc. (1990):
  2. "Product Information. Fycompa (perampanel)." Eisai Inc, Teaneck, NJ.
  3. Warrington SJ, Ankier SI, Turner P "Evaluation of possible interactions between ethanol and trazodone or amitriptyline." Neuropsychobiology 15 (1986): 31-7
View all 4 references

Therapeutic duplication warnings

Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.

Duplication

Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes five medicines belonging to the 'Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs' category:

• Seroquel (quetiapine)
  • trazodone
  • zolpidem
  • lorazepam

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication

Psychotropic agents

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'psychotropic agents' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes five medicines belonging to the 'psychotropic agents' category:

• Seroquel (quetiapine)
  • trazodone
  • zolpidem
  • lorazepam

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication

Antipsychotics

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antipsychotics' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'antipsychotics' category:

• Seroquel (quetiapine)

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed

Edited by manymoretodays
another note at the top, spacing, and color coding, enlarging Moderate

Dear @Altostrata and @manymoretodays

Thank you so much for your support, it really means a lot to read your kind words.

I really dont know what I am doing anymore.

I went to a psychiatrist and she changed my drug schedule.

I know I shouldnt do that but I am under enormous pressure from my family and they agreed if this change doesnt work they will support me with my theory that it is withdrawal.

So please forgive me for not taking your advice.

The only good thing, it is less drugs and I am done with the others hopefully before I got addicted to them (I only took them 2-3 weeks)

So yesterday I took 70mg of Venlafaxine and 2.5mg of Olanzapine in the morning.

5.0 mg Olanzapine in the evening and 0.5mg of Lorazepam for sleeping (there is no way of sleeping without sth, the Zolpidem did help me sleep btw, it was the only thing that helped). 

The funny thing I felt like dying and after taking the Venlafaxine I suddenly felt better. The day was almost „normal“. By that I mean no anxiety and very little restlessness. I had a similar thing happening when I started the 10mg, for a few hours I felt better and then back to the way I was before.

I was so hopeful but today unfortunately wasnt the same as yesterday.

day before yesterday

day before yesterday:

slept til 08:00 (with 3mg Melatonin, but I have a feeling I react badly to it, or the day way very very bad because I didnt take the Zolpidem the night before, it is next to benzos the only thing that calms me

10:00 Venla 10mg

11:00 go shopping, middle anxiety and restlessness

12:00 eat lunch, no appetite, have to force down some food

12:00-14:00 lying in bed with the horrible restlessness, like electricity running through my body, feel like ripping skin off, get up to smoke a lot

14:30 take train to psychiatrist, my sister is with me, is able to distract me

15:30 psychiatrist,

she prescribes 70mg Venla, 25mg Lamotrigin, 7.5 mg (2.5 morning, 5 evening) Olanzapine and Lorazepam 0.5mg for sleeping

16:30 go home by train, so restless I want to jump out of the train and feel I will go crazy

17:30 have breakdown because I feel so bad and I dont know how to tolerate it any longer and what I should do, parents quite upset, try to distract with watching tv, hardly possible, very, very restless, want to rip skin off

22:00 take 1mg lorazepam, feel better

22:30 take 50 Seroquel XR and 100mg Seroquel, 500mg Magnesium

23:00 fall asleep

Yesterday

08:00 wake up and lie in bed, dont want to enter the hell my days are

10:00 get up, high restlessness, horrible body feeling, wonder why one doesnt die feeling like this, feeling really suicidal

10:20 take Venlafaxine 70mg and 2.5mg Olanzapine

12:00 feel suddenly better

12:30 eat lunch with appetite

13:00-21:00 watch tv, feel pretty normal (not totally but much more tolerable)

21:20 take 5mg Olanzapine, dont even notice I am taking sth, doesnt help with sleep

23:00 take 0.5mg Lorazepam

23:30 fall asleep

today

sleep til 08:00

08-10:00 lie around in bed ,restless

10:00 Venlafaxine 70mg, Olanzapine 5mg

11:30 went for walk, some uneasiness feeling

12:00 some restlessness

12:30 went to rest (was able to rest)

13:00 ate something (had even some appetite)

13:30 went to rest, could rest for an hour with no restlessness

15:00 increasing anxiety and restlessness, very thirsty (always when restless I get crazy thirsty, my blood check was okay though)

16:00-17:00 smoking and pacing (I smoke a lot these days)

17:00 did some chores for my father (hardly able because so anxious and uneasiness and restless feeling, suicidal)

18:00 went for a walk, very anxious and uneasy

19:00 ate something, no appetite again

I am sorry I didnt taper off the other drugs, you think that is very bad? I only took the Zoldem sporadically, so I thought it should be okay to just stop. and with the others I hope there is no dependence yet.

I am sorry to be so impulsive with changes, I dont want to but when the feeling gets really bad I would literally do anything to make it stop. I am in a state of such urgency because I feel I cant tolerate it one moment longer.

And when a psychiatrist tells you she can make it stop in a week you just want to believe it.

Also as mentioned I am under ENORMOUS pressure from my family to take sth and they are the ones supporting me, there is no way I could get a job in this state, I can hardly survive the day.

I havent taken the Lamotrigine yet as I dont really think I am Bipolar. At this point I wish

I was just Bipolar and had depression and could just get out of it.

Thank you so much for your support, I really am at my wits end, I am totally hopeless I can deal with these symptoms any longer.

And I cant stop thinking about how well I was in comparison just 3 months ago with no drugs at all.

I am scared for my sleep, I do get some at the moment but once the Lorazepam buids tolerance. Also it is bad and I am worried about getting a benzo addiction on top of everything but it is the only thing that keeps me from going mad right now.

I wondered whether I should get off all meds and just take benzos.. but the problem is I DID get slightly psychotic (weird feeling of body and head) from the peyote so I dont know if I can even get off the antipsychotic now.

I am so upset with myself.. I was almost off drugs and then I messed it all up so bad.

If I ever get through this it will take 10 years or longer to get off all the new drugs.

And right now I cant imagine to ever stabilize, I am living through complete and utter hell.

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried the Lorazepam in the morning?

What's your occasionally mean?  It appears you may have only been taking it for sleep, up to now, and briefly.   Yes, it only takes 2 weeks for a benzo dependency to start.  Meaning that yes, then later you'd have to do a taper off.  But maybe it can buy you time right now, and treat what might be some akathisia from either one of your new drugs, ever changing, or WD itself.    Or you may be experiencing some interdose withdrawal from it too, in the mornings.

About how long have you been taking it?  Even off and on?

And ah oh, Oh NO.......not Zyprexa!!!!

Check it out.  Drugs.com

You can read all about it.  Then please do register there, and sign in to check your NEW drug interactions.  Copy and paste here.

AND share with your family too!!!

Time, patience.......I can't stress that enough.

Interactions between your drugs

Major

LORazepam  OLANZapine

Applies to: lorazepam, olanzapine

Ask your doctor before using LORazepam together with OLANZapine. This can cause low blood pressure, shallow breathing, weak pulse, muscle weakness, drowsiness, dizziness and slurred speech. This may be more likely to occur in older adults or those with a debilitating condition. You should be counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until you know how these medications will affect you. If your doctor prescribes these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use these medications together. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

LORazepam  venlafaxine

Applies to: lorazepam, venlafaxine

Using LORazepam together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

venlafaxine  OLANZapine

Applies to: venlafaxine, olanzapine

Using OLANZapine together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs. This does not necessarily mean no other interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.

Dear @manymoretodays

I know, I promise I wont make new changes without checking in with you about it, I am so sorry, I am just feeling so horrific and suicidal, and as I said the pressure from my family is enormous. Its a family of doctors and nurses, my father is a doctor and has unfortunately many patients who take that stuff without problems, so he is not that open to critique.

Fortunately I dont feel any of the adverse effects between olanzapine and lorazepam that they are describing.

I have taken the Lorazepam 2-4 times a week for the past 3 weeks. 

I had the akathisia and anxiety before I took any of the drugs so I doubt it is a symptom from them.

I wasnt on anything when I went to the clinic and I went for the terror and the ceaseless restlessness and horrible insomnia.

Is Cyprexa that bad? Worse than Seroquel? I guess I shouldnt impromptu stop it. I am also worried my psychosis comes back.

So far with the Lorazepam my sleep is good, like 8 hours with the Zolpidem I got around 4 hours per night. 

Without anything it is non-existing, thats why I take the Lorazepam in the evening.

Maybe I do miss it during the day and thats why those times I have more anxiety.

I really hope you are not mad about my new change, I promise it is the last one without consulting on here.

I dont notice increased restlessness/akathisia from the new drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Neon said:

Is Cyprexa that bad? Worse than Seroquel? I guess I shouldnt impromptu stop it. I am also worried my psychosis comes back.

1 hour ago, Neon said:

I really hope you are not mad about my new change, I promise it is the last one without consulting on here.

1 hour ago, Neon said:

I have taken the Lorazepam 2-4 times a week for the past 3 weeks. 

No, I'm not mad Neon.  Just short of time.  As far as looking further into Lorazepam, and it's half life, and thinking this all out right now, in any case.  I've got charts and saved information........yet.......I'm holidaying AND mourning and doing that kind of self care, that takes me off site more frequently.......and still a little cognitively slow with my grieving going on and all.

I have got you flagged now, so others' will look at your case from the staff point of view too.  Shep will be by, by and by.  And guessing that Alto will follow and pop in too and then  mentorwise, I'll @Frogie  right now too, as she can be real helpful with our benzo members , and has her own experience of benzo's and then tapering, plus being a good friend, handholder, encourager!  So you'll have some other visitors to your thread soon.  Consider this your ......."we are getting to know you time too".  So hoping you'll stick around long enough this time to get a good forward plan going, and then keep this like a journal, or for updates, or however you'd like to use your Introduction page.

Super duper with the notes too Neon!!!!!!  Yay. 🤗😇💜  Get today's in as soon as possible too.  Just how you did those last 3 days.  Write the day out, like 4 July at the top too, instead of yesterday, today, the day before.  We have big time differences, and that will help.  Bravo'.  Excelllent.  Whoop whoop and even though fireworks are prohibited today in my U.S. town, due to high fire danger, and many fires burning already in my desert mountain region.....I send you fireworks too.  To celebrate your achievement in this regard.

You don't need to post them forever and ever here, but for this more immediate time frame, the next few weeks, I think they'll be invaluable.

(and then consider continuing or doing some kind of day to day notes for yourself too, long term, as far as learning to manage and cope, with less drugs, with an eye towards eventually getting drug free)  Good long holds are often good, good things.

Personal opinion, and loaded with emotion too, is I really despise Zyprexa/olanzapine.  And think the metabolic syndrome is more prominent, with it, as well as some of the other just plain toxic effects.......compared to Seroquel.  A bit biased due to my own past experiences.  But way back when I did commune with psychiatrists, a few thought it should be banned......so there you have that!  And I just think that it's extremely unlikely that your prescribing psychiatrist is going to just use the Zyprexa/olanzapine short term, like all these drugs were meant to be.  Eventually anyone can prescribe for you. 

And important for you to understand is that, yes, psychosis may come back with a rapid WD from all AP's.  I think it's called rebound psychosis or supersensory psychosis but  that's a pretty well understood phenomena now.  And if you had a really scary psychosis, I know that's something that you want to avoid.  I don't think it's as likely when still on a AP, which you are, and you will be.  Were your psychosis symptoms related to the Peyote or Mushrooms?  Or when you came off olanzapine/Zyprexa last time?  If you recall?  And what did it entail?  e.g.  Voices not your own in your head, Visuals of any kind, extreme paranoia?  I don't know.......if you don't mind talking about it.

I think if it was me.  I'd go back on the Seroquel,  just the regular release type at night.  Keep it spaced from the Lorazepam by at least 2 hours, and see how you do with just .5 mg Lorazepam at night or in the evening.

And it's going to be bumpy as you've jumped now from both Trazodone, and Zolpidem.  The new drugs won't completely cover all WD from the old ones.

And then realistically, you are going to have to maintain on some drugs, for awhile now........hoping we can get you down to just 2, as soon as possible, and then at nice low doses.  Less is often more, and is often enough.  That's the harm reduction way too.

And I'd stay put with the 70 mg of what sounds to be Effexor/venlafaxine, since that seemed to help.

And I'd, again, if it was me, consider, that if I needed it, for the crawling out of skin, crazy agitation, anxiety- akathisia symptoms that might occur 12 hours more or less, after your night time Lorazepam wears off.........I'd go with another 0.5 mg of that.

You'll get more input on managing that soon too.  It can be a Godsend for akathisia though.

1 hour ago, Neon said:

Yay! 

Could be the daytime Zyprexa then is helping.  Kind of a tranquilizing, deadening effect but I'm glad you've felt some peace.

It's just that if I was you.......AND from my own experience with AP's, that I'd do the Seroquel at night, ditch the Zyprexa before it gets its claws into you, and perhaps use some daytime Lorazepam.  Not the full 1 mg.

Later......you deal with tapering, after awhile of stability........months of usually is good.

Stay away from alcohol, marijuana, etc. now too.  Don't forget your magnesium either.......amazing how well that can help too.

And so great, that you are up to posting, and out of the really icky stuff even if just for hours at a time.  You know.......psychiatrist appointments used to be unraveling for me too.  Just saying.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you too for posting the interactions too, above, with this new combo.  Good job.  And a testament to that you ARE feeling better today and less hopeless.  Or tonight.  🙂

Edited by manymoretodays

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Neon said:

Do you mean the symptoms you called akathisia went away?

Old schedule:

On 7/1/2021 at 12:15 PM, Neon said:

Evening before bed:

100mg Seroquel

50mg Seroquel XR

150mg Trittico

500mg Magnesium Citrate

New schedule:

5 hours ago, Neon said:

Yesterday

08:00 wake up and lie in bed, dont want to enter the hell my days are

10:00 get up, high restlessness, horrible body feeling, wonder why one doesnt die feeling like this, feeling really suicidal

10:20 take Venlafaxine 70mg and 2.5mg Olanzapine

12:00 feel suddenly better

12:30 eat lunch with appetite

13:00-21:00 watch tv, feel pretty normal (not totally but much more tolerable)

21:20 take 5mg Olanzapine, dont even notice I am taking sth, doesnt help with sleep

23:00 take 0.5mg Lorazepam

5 hours ago, Neon said:

today

10:00 Venlafaxine 70mg, Olanzapine 5mg

Why did you take 5mg olanzapine in the morning, when you were supposed to take only 2.5mg?

You have been taking olanzapine only a day or two, is that correct?

5 hours ago, Neon said:

The funny thing I felt like dying and after taking the Venlafaxine I suddenly felt better. The day was almost „normal“. By that I mean no anxiety and very little restlessness. I had a similar thing happening when I started the 10mg, for a few hours I felt better and then back to the way I was before.

This indicates you have venlafaxine withdrawal syndrome, and adding in more venlafaxine compensated for it. However, as you take venlafaxine every morning, it builds up in your bloodstream, and now you may be taking TOO MUCH venlafaxine. More is not necessarily better! You might want to reduce to 37.5mg every morning.

Overall, you may be feeling somewhat better -- the akathisia having gone away -- because that psychiatrist inadvertently REDUCED your drug burden. You were taking far too many "brakes" -- 150mg Seroquel, 150mg trazodone, and the zolpidem. All of these are supposed to be sedating, but when you take TOO MUCH of these brakes, they can cause the paradoxical activation you call akathisia.

You have a strong tendency to increase your drug dosages. It is very possible this is causing many of your problems. Please stop doing this. 

Yes, Zyprexa or olanzapine is just as bad as Seroquel (quetiapine). These are not harmless anti-anxiety drugs. Keeping you on substantial dosages of antipsychotics can be damaging to your general health and they're not helping you sleep.

If I were you, I would not add the lamotrigine, another brake, and I would NOT increase olanzapine to 5mg in the morning. In fact, it doesn't make any sense to take it in the morning at all. 2.5mg or even 1mg olanzapine at night may help you sleep, because you've been enhancing your insomnia by taking TOO MANY brakes to crush it. 

It never makes sense to add a second drug before you see the effect of the first drug. If you want to continue to see this psychiatrist, please take further questions to her. We do not fill in as unpaid assistants to psychiatrists.

Dear @Altostrata and @manymoretodays

18 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

I'm holidaying AND mourning

I am very thankful you are helping even though you have a busy and difficult time too

I really despise Zyprexa/olanzapine

I am planning to eventually super slow taper off all the medicines in case I ever get stable again which I cant imagine right now

Were your psychosis symptoms related to the Peyote or Mushrooms?  Or when you came off olanzapine/Zyprexa last time?

It was related to the Mushrooms and the Peyote. It wasnt a strong psychosis, I didnt hear voices or have hallucinations, I just get a really weird feeling in my head, like it is flying and a strange feeling of how I perceive the world, like I cant focus on anything, it is like my head is air or there is a wall between me and the world... and like a really light feeling in my body... I cant describe it better, its like I cant focus on anyone talking to me because there is this strange sensation that I cant concentrate on anybody... it is just a very strange feeling that always went away when I got APs.

I think if it was me.  I'd go back on the Seroquel,  just the regular release type at night. 

I really dont know what to do anymore about my medication. With the dosage of Seroquel I took, I did get these weird psychosis feelings, so I am a little bit worried about taking that "low" dose. Can I taper off Olanzapine eventually or is that very difficult?

The new drugs won't completely cover all WD from the old ones.

I really hope the withdrawal is not so strong as I havent taken them that long. I am quite scared.

And I'd, again, if it was me, consider, that if I needed it, for the crawling out of skin, crazy agitation, anxiety- akathisia symptoms that might occur 12 hours more or less, after your night time Lorazepam wears off.........I'd go with another 0.5 mg of that.

Would you recommend I take twice 0.5 per day? I would definitely feel much better but I am scared about tolerance.

Later......you deal with tapering, after awhile of stability........months of usually is good.

I hope so much that I will get some stability, this state is really not living at all.

Stay away from alcohol, marijuana, etc. now too. 

I dont do anything like that for two years now.

16 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Do you mean the symptoms you called akathisia went away?

On the first day of taking them both it was almost gone all day after taking them.. as I said I almost felt "normal" and very hopeful the Venlafaxine was helping. Unfortunately the consecutive two days the anxiety and some restlessness came back. I am not sure if I am just scared of that "state" coming back that makes me so suicidal and is so horrible I feel like I need to die or if it is actually there.

Why did you take 5mg olanzapine in the morning, when you were supposed to take only 2.5mg?

I only took 2.5, that was an error, sorry.

You have been taking olanzapine only a day or two, is that correct?

today is the third day, that is correct

You might want to reduce to 37.5mg every morning.

Okay, I will consider this. I did take 37.5mg before reducing it again for 3 days last week and it did not help that much. Or it seemed to help for a few hours before going back to the way it was before.

You have a strong tendency to increase your drug dosages.

I only really increased the Venlafaxine, with the others I stayed put or I completely changed them. I really dont want to be on a lot of drugs. I was so short of getting off them completely until I messed it all up.

All of these are supposed to be sedating, but when you take TOO MUCH of these brakes, they can cause the paradoxical activation you call akathisia.

I did have those feeling prior to going on any drugs. That was the reason I went to the hospital, the anxiety and restlessness. I realize the drugs can cause this but I am not sure it is the case in my case.

2.5mg or even 1mg olanzapine at night may help you sleep

I am a bit reluctant to do that because I am scared the psychotic feelings might come back without any AP.

Notes:

20:00 sitting with parents outside, pretty calm and no anxiety

22:00 taking Olanzapine 5mg

22:00 going to bed

23:00 falling asleep (without Lorazpam)

06:00 waking up, relatively calm, some restlessness

09:30 getting up, restless

10:00 taking 75mg Venlafaxine (I meant 75 when I wrote 70 above), 2.5mg Olanzapine

10:00-11:30 being restless and anxious, pacing around house, lying down a bit

11:30 for myself to go for a walk, feeling anxious, uneasyness about symptom of restlessness coming back

12:00 eating lunch

13:00-15:00 taking rest in bed, wanting no noise and feeling overly sensitive to all stimuli.

15:30 taking a shower, feeling anxious

16:15 going to buy bouquet for aunt's birthday, feeling anxious

now it is 16:30, we are soon going to celebrate my aunt's birthday, it is very tough for me to participate in anything and do anything really.

I kind of feel like having a low-level panic attack constantly.. 

I dont know what this means. The first day I took the Venlafaxine I felt almost normal and now it is almost back to the way I was when I left the clinic.

I was worse in between definitely, whenever I tried to skip the Lorazepam and the Zoldem which calmed my symptoms somewhat apart of the fact that I felt

the psychotic symptoms a little bit but I left anyway.

Should I take the Lorazepam more consistently? I try to take it as little as possible because I am afraid of dependency.

I have been thinking I would have been off better just taking it and nothing else and in the end I would have had only one Benzo to taper off but I think now it is too late.

Also I am really scared constantly that at any moment that horrible state of being could start. I have a real horror of it and feel so uneasy all the time. It is so so terrible, I really cant describe it, I get so suicidal when I am like that. 

So I am happy that Benzos exist because otherwise maybe I wouldnt anymore. That sounds really dark and I know I should be more positive but it is difficult right now.

It never makes sense to add a second drug before you see the effect of the first drug. If you want to continue to see this psychiatrist, please take further questions to her. We do not fill in as unpaid assistants to psychiatrists.

I agree with you about first trying one drug. I can only say I was so desperate for feeling better that I just threw reason out the window. Also I am scared about getting psychotic without an anti-psychotic medicine. I was never psychotic before taking these stupid mushrooms and peyote... it is my own fault.

Also I really appreciate what you are doing and I dont want you to think I am not.

I am just surfing the pressure of my family who all think the psychiatrist must be right.. or rather I think they hope it because if it is withdrawal, it is much more difficult and will take longer until I am better. I try to convince them but the psychiatrists are professionals and in their opinion they must have a reason for what they tell me. 

Also I have been unstable now for 5 years and they tend to ignore that I was unstable only every time I reduced or quit the medication.

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Overall, you may be feeling somewhat better -- the akathisia having gone away -- because that psychiatrist inadvertently REDUCED your drug burden. You were taking far too many "brakes" -- 150mg Seroquel, 150mg trazodone, and the zolpidem. All of these are supposed to be sedating, but when you take TOO MUCH of these brakes, they can cause the paradoxical activation you call akathisia.

@NeonWhat Alto is saying here is spot on. And @manymoretodaysis also giving stellar advice regarding all of these "brakes." 

I just want to chime in briefly with a couple of threads that may help with the vocabulary here. For information on what the term "brakes" means, please see:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

You mention taking 3mg Melatonin. Please note this is a high dose and likely is increasing the paradoxical reaction. The more your dampen down the nervous system with sedating drugs and supplements, the more the nervous system fights to stay alert. This can create anxiety, insomnia, and other symptoms. For more on melatonin, please see:

Melatonin for sleep

And if I go down to 37.5, will that not affect my system badly again after taking 75 for three days?

I really dont want to make more mistakes.. I am so so scared of this „state“ coming back in full force.

Hi @Neon

I am really sorry to hear you have been through such an awful time recently. It sounds horrible and I'm also sorry that it was so awful that you ended up on more medications. I'll be thinking about you and hoping you have better days soon. Sending love and support. ❤️  I believe you will feel better and heal, even though the days may be currently very dark. 

2005 - Zoloft, 200 mg for childhood anxiety (starting at age 11)

Summer 2015 - Switched to Prozac, 40 mg  

June 2019 - Tapered to 10 mg Prozac, no adverse effects. Held for 1 year. 

June 2020 - Discontinued Prozac. Horrible withdrawal. Did not realize it was withdrawal at first. 

Nov 2020 - Reinstated Prozac 2.5 mg. Still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

May 2021 - Prozac 2.0 mg. Still experiencing symptoms - some symptoms have improved, but situational factors have worsened.

August 12 2021 - Prozac 2.25 mg. Partial reinstatement as symptoms had worsened

June 17 2022 - Prozac 2.0 mg; Sept 13 2022 - Prozac 1.75 mg; Nov 1 2022 - Prozac 1.5 mg; Feb 1 2023 - Prozac 1.25 mg; Apr 1 2023 - Prozac 1.0 mg; June 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.75 mg; Aug 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.5 mg

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Neon said:

Should I take the Lorazepam more consistently?

10 hours ago, Neon said:

I was worse in between definitely, whenever I tried to skip the Lorazepam and the Zoldem

What has been your lorazepam intake in the last 2 weeks? It is possible that between them, you have become dependent on a benzo.

9 hours ago, Neon said:

On the first day of taking them both it was almost gone all day after taking them.. as I said I almost felt "normal" and very hopeful the Venlafaxine was helping. Unfortunately the consecutive two days the anxiety and some restlessness came back.

This is because when you take a drug for 3 days, it BUILDS UP in your bloodstream. The effect increases. As it increases, you again get the sensations of TOO MUCH DRUG. It is not unusual for TOO MUCH venlafaxine to cause the activation you call akathisia.

3 hours ago, Neon said:

And if I go down to 37.5, will that not affect my system badly again after taking 75 for three days?

NO

However, you may feel an effect from having drastically changed your intake of Seroquel or olanzapine AGAIN.

10 hours ago, Neon said:

Also I have been unstable now for 5 years and they tend to ignore that I was unstable only every time I reduced or quit the medication.

Are you older than 18? If so, they have nothing to say about your health decisions. You can tell them you'll take on that responsibility yourself.

10 hours ago, Neon said:

Also I am scared about getting psychotic without an anti-psychotic medicine. I was never psychotic before taking these stupid mushrooms and peyote... it is my own fault.

This is a site for going off psychiatric drugs. If you feel you need to take an antipsychotic, this is the wrong site for you. We do not treat psychosis here.

However, you are showing many signs of believing you need a drug or can fix whatever is going on with you with more drugs, and excessively self-medicating with the prescription drugs that are available to you. As explained above, taking TOO MUCH prescription drugs can cause the problems you're afraid of. You have to decide if you want to continue to make your own problems. Your ability to do this is far stronger than online peer support can handle.

Dear @Altostrata

7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What has been your lorazepam intake in the last 2 weeks? It is possible that between them, you have become dependent on a benzo.

I took it 6 times in the last two weeks, do you think I am dependent already? 

However, you may feel an effect from having drastically changed your intake of Seroquel or olanzapine AGAIN.

I am planning to stay put with the Olanzapine for now if you think that is okay.

This is a site for going off psychiatric drugs. If you feel you need to take an antipsychotic, this is the wrong site for you. We do not treat psychosis here.

There is nothing I want more than coming off the drugs, thats why I endured the last 5 years. But I was very stupid many times and that is why I am not comfortable coming off the antipsychotic right away.

Cant I reduce it once I feel more stable?

I have not excessively self-medicated. I have listened to psychiatrists because I was truly desperate, I had no other support and I just wanted to survive.

I am sorry you think I shouldnt be on this site, I thought I could get some help in stabilizing here but if you think I shouldnt use this site I will not use it any more.

I was in the most scary state I can imagine and I am constantly scared it could come back. That is why I used the Lorazepam and I took the other drugs.

I am in such a bad state currently, I cant possibly support myself, that is why it is not so easy to go completely against my familys wishes.

By coming to ask for help here I am already doing that.

Also as I said I had these symptoms going to the clinic when I wasnt on any drug, so I think a lot of it is probably withdrawal from the Venlafaxine and I just wanted your advice how to handle that going forward. I am really sorry you feel I shouldnt be here because I want to take those horrible drugs. They have completely messed up my life and I do not like taking them.

@Toast

Thank you for your kind words, I really hope you are doing better yourself.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Neon said:

I took it 6 times in the last two weeks, do you think I am dependent already? 

Do you have the dates you took it? Was it every other day or were you taking it two or three days in a row? The more you can tell us about the exact dates, the more targeted our advice will be. 

I think I took it the 22nd, the 24th, 27th, 30th of June and 2nd and 3rd of July

I am really sorry about all the medications I took/take..

I am trying to distract myself but my symptoms are so bad I would do anything to get at least some relief and that is why I got in the drug merry-round even though I suspected it was withdrawal.

I know that was wrong and made everything worse probably because my poor brain is so confused.

I try not to focus on all that I did wrong, which was so much, and focus on the future and try to be patient.

But I am basically disabled, without my family I couldnt survive.

You all have so much experience, may I ask if you have seen many threads where people where in this bad a state and were getting out of it? Maybe I shouldnt ask reassurance but right now some would be really helpful.

Thank you all

On 7/5/2021 at 1:07 AM, Altostrata said:

In fact, it doesn't make any sense to take it in the morning at all. 2.5mg or even 1mg olanzapine at night may help you sleep

@Altostrata

so you would recommend only taking 2.5 at night?

• Administrator

You probably are not dependent on lorazepam.

Here is my suggestion: TWO drugs only, in the morning and at night:

On 7/4/2021 at 4:07 PM, Altostrata said:

However, as you take venlafaxine every morning, it builds up in your bloodstream, and now you may be taking TOO MUCH venlafaxine. More is not necessarily better! You might want to reduce to 37.5mg every morning.

On 7/4/2021 at 4:07 PM, Altostrata said:

If I were you, I would not add the lamotrigine, another brake, and I would NOT increase olanzapine to 5mg in the morning. In fact, it doesn't make any sense to take it in the morning at all. 2.5mg or even 1mg olanzapine at night may help you sleep, because you've been enhancing your insomnia by taking TOO MANY brakes to crush it. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there Neon,

Looks like some great input, and wondering how you have decided to go?

One thing that's real important now, is that you stick with doing the same medication routine for a good couple of days to a week, instead of rocking and rolling with changes every day or every couple of days.  And no doubt you will still rock and roll a bit, while you adjust to the same medications, taken regularly.

The rule of 3KI's simple, slow, stable

^ pretty well sums that idea up

And by stable, it's unlikely that you will be able to go out, get a job, please your family, nor feel like yourself completely, etc. immediately.  You are recovering, very much so from your previous drug experiments.  Is your family aware of your choices in using hallucinogenics for treatment?  If there is anyplace you can go, to possibly just chill for awhile, short of a hospital again.......for example, with a more understanding family member or trusted friend??  Sometimes, our circumstances or situations are or can be a huge stressor.  So......if you can make a short term change in your living situation that might help.

On 7/5/2021 at 9:00 AM, Neon said:

It was related to the Mushrooms and the Peyote. It wasnt a strong psychosis, I didnt hear voices or have hallucinations, I just get a really weird feeling in my head, like it is flying and a strange feeling of how I perceive the world, like I cant focus on anything, it is like my head is air or there is a wall between me and the world... and like a really light feeling in my body... I cant describe it better, its like I cant focus on anyone talking to me because there is this strange sensation that I cant concentrate on anybody... it is just a very strange feeling that always went away when I got APs.

This ^ sounds a lot like the symptom of:  Derealization or Depersonalization(DR and DP)

A weird disconnect feeling and I've had it, and sometimes still.........kind of a protective bubble for me, when I need it.  You'll be amazed that one can still function while in a disconnect.  Not fun, but doable.  Beats hovering in bed, or hidden away due to fear.

And then fear or anxiety, or fear of this symptom or that symptom can be worse than the symptom actually occurring sometimes.  And I am going to just copy on over something Shep put together for another member recently, that might help.

Dr. Claire Weekes comes highly recommended for helping people learn how to manage and cope with anxiety. 

Dr. Claire Weekes - How To Recover (part 1)

She has several videos in this series. Please have a listen as you're able. 

And this is a great short video on acceptance without adding "second fear":

Dr. Claire Weekes: How to accept the physical symptoms of nervous illness video (1.5 minutes)

This is a great article on "second fear":

The Anxiety Monster Feeds on Second Fear

It's okay to be anxious. Some of the anxiety is chemical - a side effect of the drugs and / or withdrawal from previous drug and drug changes. But still, it's okay to be anxious in the body, just don't attach your thoughts to the physical symptoms of anxiety. This is what creates the "getting anxious about getting anxious," as you note.

Learning to float through anxious symptoms is important. Try this a few times a day, especially before eating and before going to bed:

The Breathing Space by Jon Kabat Zinn video (4 minutes)

If you're too anxious to sit quietly for such a video, try going for a walk outside in nature, if possible, and as you're moving, focus on your breath, letting go of anxious thoughts like clouds passing by overhead. Take out your cell phone and take pictures of trees, birds, or anything that catches your eye.

Focus on the beauty in the world, even if only for a second. Then two seconds. Build up slowly until YOU are in control of where your thoughts go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More on coping, and some of the terms/word usages we use around here can be found in the Symptoms and Self Care Forum

Just start with the first pinned topics there.

I'm going to close up this reply post now, and give you some more links, to some practical tips as to how you might get the dosages of Zyprexa you might need going forward.

And then don't quit with NOTES. 

And another thing is this, we don't want to compete somehow, or play volleyball with your psychiatrist.   If you  want to go with them.....then do so.  You can always come back again, when you do want to minimize medications, and even begin to taper.

It's a waste of our time and really frustrating to have members go back and forth with psychiatrists pharmacological care, and then playing it all off us.

Alto gave you some stellar suggests, and Shep.  And now it's up to you really. 

Take some time to digest all the information too.  I know it's tough right now.

Edited by manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus

For right now, if I were you.......I might just go with the lowest dose Zyprexa possible, at bedtime or before.  You could split a tablet down to a 1.25 mg dose, and then later go with a liquid, for ease of measuring, or weighing.  I'd prefer liquifying or doing a suspension, either in water, or with ORO-Plus. 

To get started though, you can certainly split your tablet.

There's more about Zyprexa in this tapering topic:  Tips for tapering off Zyprexa(olanzapine)

It's got a long half life, as you'll see, so once you take it, that means it lingers around for a long time. 

The Tips topic also should help you to figure out how to get the smaller dosages, from the standard prescription dosages.

And certainly ask, if you are feeling very confused.  We've got many members working with olanzapine.

Less is often more around here, and at some later date, you'll have less to taper down from too.

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

And then the 37.5 mg dose of Effexor in the daytime

It does sound like you have figured out how to get a 37.5 mg dose of Effexor.  Here's the topic we have on Effexor. 

Tips for tapering off Effexor(venlafaxine)

I think if you can just get on a schedule and stick to it, you'll begin to level out a bit.  Meantime, keep those NOTES coming too Neon.

And best sweetie!

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

• Administrator
On 7/5/2021 at 8:00 AM, Neon said:

It was related to the Mushrooms and the Peyote. It wasnt a strong psychosis, I didnt hear voices or have hallucinations, I just get a really weird feeling in my head, like it is flying and a strange feeling of how I perceive the world, like I cant focus on anything, it is like my head is air or there is a wall between me and the world... and like a really light feeling in my body...

This is not psychosis. It is called getting high. This is why people take mushrooms and peyote.

Now you are experiencing effects of the various prescription drug cocktails you've taken. Strongly suggest you stop over-medicating.

@manymoretodays thank you so much for all the information, links and your kind words. it is much appreciated in this difficult time.

a lot I have already read on here but a lot is new and I will definitely get into it as much as I can.

I am still thinking about what to do as the last days were not great but definitely more managable and I am scared to change anything now but also dont want to get stuck on too much medication.

I have decided to do the changes with a few days apart, so when symptoms pop up I know from what med change they come. First I stop the 2.5mg Olanzapine in the morning, then probably reduce at night time. You think that is a good strategy?

I know it is also time sensitive before my system gets used to the meds.

notes:

05/07/21 second part

17:00 celebrated aunts birthday, could participate with difficulty

19:00 ate dinner 

20:00 went for walk, some restlessness, can only talk and think about my state and what I should do, but try to distract with nature

21:00 try to watch tv, too stimulating, go to quiet room and try to read

21:30 take 5mg olanzapine, 500mg Mg

22:00 go to bed

23:00 fall asleep

06/07/21

08:00 wake up

10:00 lie in bed til now, some restlessness

10:00 take 37.5 Venlafaxine, 2.5mg Olanzapine

10-12:00 do some gardening, a lot of pacing around, very restless

12:00 eat lunch, feel very shaky

12:30 friend comes over, can hardly hold conversation, feel so shaky and restless, have weird dizzy feeling in head, feel really horrible

14:00 freak out, take 37.5mg Venlafaxine

14:30 try to take rest, cant because too restless

15:30 try to watch some tv, cant because overstimulating, restless

16:00 try to tell myself it will get better while pacing around

17:00 feel a little calmer, help prepare dinner

18:00 get 2nd Covid shot

18:15 friends of family come around, can manage to sit with them, almost enjoy it a little

22:00 go to bed

06/07/21

04:00 wake up, manage to fall back asleep

08:00 wake up

10:00 get up

10:00 take 75mg Venlafaxine, 2.5mg olanzapine

10:00-12:00 do some gardening and rest a little more , some restlessness (I feel overstimulated very fast, so my quiet room is my refuge)

12:00 eat lunch, do dishes, feel shaky

13:00-15:00 take rest, am able to rest until thoughts about current situation and how messed up my life is right now come up

15:00 try to distract with tv, can watch maybe 15 minutes

15:15 some more garden work

16:00 try to read a little, a bit too restless

16:15 eat some cake

17:00 get ready for dinner with family friends

18:00 dinner at familys friends (I dont really trust myself alone right now, so I went even if it was quite overwhelming)

somehow get through it

22:00 take 5mg olanzapine,500mg Mg

22:30 go to bed

02:00 toss and turn, very restless, ov i stimulated from the evening andthinking about what to do about medications, until 

02:00, take 0.5mg Lorazepam

02:30 fall asleep

07/07/2012

08:00 wake

10:30 toss and til now, then get up. weird feeling in my head

take 75mg Venlafaxine

11:00 do a project for family, some restlessness

12:00 eat lunch, some minor restlessness

13:00 go take rest, cant doze like other days, feel too awake

15:00 get up and watch little tv, minor restlessness

15:30 read a little bit

15:50 jump in pool to cool down

16:00 sit with family over coffee and cake (I dont have coffee, just them), minor restlessness

17:00 take shower

18:00 eat dinner

19:30 take walk for an hour

21:00 watch a little tv

evening was pretty fine, just minor restlessness

On 7/7/2021 at 11:08 PM, Altostrata said:

This is not psychosis. It is called getting high. This is why people take mushrooms and peyote.

I am not currently taking anything to get high and still I feel high sometimes, I was told that is psychosis and I had that and ALL the other symptoms before taking any drugs, that is why I went to a clinic. and now I try to do damage control and get help because it did not help much to get those cocktails but I stopped feeling „high“ while on them, so I want to be smart and still dont over-medicate.

Hey Neon,

Sorry for the late reply! (Just joined the forum a little while ago). I was on a variety of drugs from the age of 10 until just before my 21st birthday. Pristiq (very similar to Effexor), Prozac, Abilify, Vraylar, Seroquel (only briefly), Adderall, and Zoloft (very briefly).I came off everything gradually and have been medication free since March 12th, 2020. 

One of my big issues was insomnia, which started about 6 months off of everything and oddly enough about 8 months off Pristiq (very similar to Effexor). I went through MONTHS where I’d sleep 3.5->6 hours per night and I thought it would never stop. 

What has really helped me is keeping my coffee intake to breakfast alone, running 5->6 days per week (making sure to take rest days), and oddly enough, chewing gum for about an hour before bed (it helps calm me down, sugar free, ADA sealed, and making sure to brush/floss after). 

Helpful thing to keep in mind: insomnia usually isn’t permanent and comes in waves, it can go up to months which really sucks but it’s not usually permanent. 

Started on Psychoactive Medications at the age of 10, in 2009.Discontinued medications at age 20 (last official day taking anything was March 12th, 2020).Past medications: from 2015->2020. Adderall XR - 40 mg. Adderrall 2x throughout day - 20 mg (40 total). Abilify - 20 mg. Pristiq - 100 mg. Fluoxetine - 25 mg. L-Methyl Folate Supplement (Deplin) - 15 mg

6’ 285->180 pounds. August ‘19->Current
Runner (Daily 30->60+ minute Run for Mental Health bennies)

Working on B.S. in Chemistry with  Minor in Biology (intended graduation in Spring ‘23)

Recreational Lifter (3-4x/ week. Mostly Pull-ups, OHP, and Bench.)

Percussionist (mainly kit, various bands, school bands, Jazz Band, Church productions, etc.) since age 6 

@PristiqMystique

thank you for dropping in and giving me suggestions 🙂

I already dont drink coffee and I noticed after exercize my symptoms get worse usually, but maybe I will give it another try.

That chewing gum helps is really interesting, I wonder how that works, the brain is really fascinating.

And you have recovered from all the withdrawals?

• Administrator
On 7/9/2021 at 5:55 AM, Neon said:

I am not currently taking anything to get high and still I feel high sometimes, I was told that is psychosis and I had that and ALL the other symptoms before taking any drugs, that is why I went to a clinic.

You are taking a batch of psychotropic drugs, including a frequent benzo. You should not be surprised if this causes you to feel odd sometimes, especially floaty or disoriented. Did you dabble in recreational drugs before?

Are you still taking olanzapine in the morning?

If you want help reducing your drugs, please continue to post daily notes, 24 hours at a time. We cannot answer your questions without this information.

Dear @Altostrata

10 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Did you dabble in recreational drugs before?

no I didnt take recreational drugs before

10 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Are you still taking olanzapine in the morning?

no I have stopped that

And yes, sorry, I will post them daily from now on

10/07/2021

04:00 wake briefly, manage to fall back asleep

08:00 wake, last few hours of sleep were light

10:00 get up, take 75mg Venlafaxine, feel very activated

10:30 have some breakfast

11:00 read a little bit, is difficult because so activated, palpitations, feel like body is pulsing with every heartbeat

12:30 eat lunch, have raging appetite (also had this the day before)

13:00 eat snack because still strong appetite

13:30 take rest, but cant properly because feel so activated, like drinking 10 coffees

14:00 take another snack

14:30 watch tv for an hour

15:30 do some garden work

17:00 have herbal tea, feel very activated and hungry

17:30 get neck pain

18:00 eat dinner, raging appetite and feel very activated

19:00 go for a walk

20:30 watch some tv

21:30 take 5mg Olanzapine

22:30 go to bed

The activation I am feeling is different than before what I described as akathisia, so I am thinking it is probably from the Venlafaxine. Luckily the past few days I didnt have the akathisia. I feel less sedated without morning Olanzapine too.

The raging appetite I know can come from the Olanzapine, I hope at a lower dosage it gets better or maybe subsided or maybe I can manage to get rid of it (only if you suggest so) before I am dependent. The only problem is it does help me sleep, so will see.

Tomorrow I plan on reducing to 37.5 Venlafaxine.

@Altostrata

should I jump down straight to 37.5 or should I go in 12.5mg steps over three days? like a really fast taper?

• Administrator

My guess is the "akathisia" you reported was a paradoxical reaction to TOO MUCH olanzapine.

It appears 75mg venlafaxine is also too high a dose for you. 

How long have you been taking 75mg venlafaxine? Please update your signature.

I have been taking it for 9 days now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Neon,

Since you've only been back on it, the Effexor, for a brief time.......I'd vote for you just halfing the dose now.  Of course, Alto's expertise is always going to trump mine, but just sharing my thoughts.

And I'm not ignoring you, by any means.  I just have to cut out of doing too much screen time.  My house, and emotions, and general state is just kind of messy right now.  Lost my last parent, 6 weeks ago now.......and wow baby, it's an adjustment.  Getting better.

Another helpful tip, for your notes would be to just type out the month, before the day.  Put July 11 2021 at the start of each 24 hours of Notes please. LOL, on editing.....well whatever the numerical days date is. 

And don't neglect, or wait too long to lower the Zyprexa some more either.  Or I wouldn't.  Hide your Lorazepam from yourself if you can.

In lieu of it, use the:  Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

As well as the fear/anxiety tips and helps already given, and in addition, anything from this indexed list, to get better with non-drug coping skills:

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Sending courage, and coping, and hopes for you, through the airwaves and from my heart to yours.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
LOL, do not put July 11 at the top of ALL your notes please clarification. :-O