SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

ecofreak: Tapering off ofTrazodone

eccofreak

I have been on Trazodone for 15 years and want to come off it as I am getting some side effects (dialated pupils, confusion, profuse sweating,increased anxiety|) so I think I may be getting Serotonin syndrome.  I was on 150 mg. then I went down to 100 mg over the summer and now I am trying to go down to 50 mg but can't sleep and anxiety is very high.  My doctor wants to put me on Zopiclone.  I want to get off medication and have been successful in getting off all other medications an few years ago that I was taking for depression.  Am I tapering off too quickly?  I haven't been able to work as I sleep has been almost non existant.  I have tried Melatonin and Magnesium.  Melatonin has not helped at all but Magnesium has at least helped with constipation issues.  Has anyone here been on Trazodone this long and had success in coming off it and how did you go about it. 

Edited by manymoretodays
name to title, tag
  • manymoretodays changed the title to ecofreak: Tapering off ofTrazodone
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome @eccofreak

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I apologise that we haven't gotten back to you sooner. Would you mind writing a signature? We ask that all members do this. Here's how to:

How to write a signature

When tapering we usually recommend to not taper by anymore than 10% of the current dosage. So from that point of view, going down to 50 mg is more drastic. I would recommend reading this before you make any other changes:

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

We don't recommend going on any new drugs, especially in this situation where it can make things worse.

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

It can be good to look for other ways to cope with symptoms, especially when tapering. There are many good topics here for that. I will link two of them:

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

There is a lot of information, so feel free to read at your own pace and use this as more of a reference. The signature is a good first step though.

Did you start getting the side effects before or after you started tapering off trazodone?

Edited by Sunnyday

2011-2015: Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20 mg, Voxra 300 mg (quit Voxra in late 2015, no issues)

2016: Started tapering Escitalopram 5 mg at a time, every fourth week

July 24th, 2016: Escitalopram 5 mg

April 2nd, 2017: Quit last dosage (WD worsened a lot)

Ca 6 last months of 2017: Taking Diazepam 15-25 mg irregularly, less than once a month

Ca Dec 2017: Out of Diazepam, i.e free from all prescribed drugs

Now: Still drug free

Supplements: Irregular intake of Omega-3, magnesium, vitamin D.