Purplestars22: Celexa Success Story (Celexa Free Seven Years)

Purplestars22

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and awww.......thank you so much Purplestars22 for writing this!  And yah, great name, you know I do like purple......LOL.  Quoted some of my favorite parts.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, Purplestars22 said:

but sometimes I think if I survived withdrawal then I am resilient and can handle anything. By surviving withdrawal it has given me a sense of strength and courage.

And please follow a conservative tapering schedule that fits you and take it easy during this time when the nervous system needs the minimal stimulus. And one more thing please do not compare your healing process to another person this process is individualistic just because it happens to someone does not mean that it pertains to you or it will happen to you. 

Since, withdrawal I have been able to work and go to school successfully, travel and take flights by myself. And I have even dated lol which I never did in withdrawal that was out of the question, during that time I was only able to concentrate on healing and not on another person.

Best Purplestars22.  Thank you again, for writing this, and posting.  You......are......a.......success, my gosh, so very proud of you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Well done Girl.. you should be so proud!! 😊😊

OCT 2016 -  I quit Sertraline 50 mg CT after a family bereavement  had turned my life upside down ..  as a result it felt the drug was totally ineffective. 

MAY 2017-  After what had been an appalling 6 months (which i thought was horrific grief but now realise it is likely withdrawal is the more likely culprit)  I reinstated Sertraline at 50 mg before raising the dose to 100 mg due to not feeling any effect (again this is something that makes sense now). In time i had started to feel normal again and presumed it was because I had worked my way through my prolonged grief.  

FEB 2019 -  Life was now back on track and decided it was time to try and rid myself of the shameful daily pill pop that is AD's. I quit Sertraline Via a fast taper... but may aswell have been a CT.

JUN 2019 -  I found SA . .. realised i was withdrawing .. and had inadvertently made multiple mistakes along the way.

NOV 2019 - I'm roughly 8-9 months into withdrawal & STRUGGLING

• Mentor

Glad to read another success story! Amazing :) I hope you all the best :)

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

Congratulations 💕

Well done. I know how hard is the way. 

I am still struggling after 31 month after zero. 

You are so right with what you write. 

Thanks for your post. A bright spot for the day.

Wish you all the best for your life. 

0 - 0 - 0 since 08.07.2018, 1 - 0 - 0 = 0,11 mg  since 21.05.2018, 2 - 0 - 0 = 0,22 mg since 01.05.2018, 3 - 0 - 0 = 0,33 mg since 09.04.2018, 3 - 1 - 0 = 0,45 mg since  04.03.2018, 3 - 2 - 0 = 0,56mg since 30.01.2018, 3 - 3 - 0 = 0,6666mg since 29.12.2017,  4 - 3 - 0 = 0,777mg since 18.09.2017, 4 - 4 - 0 = 0,8888 mg since 02.09.2017 

Cymbalta 120 mg 2011 - 2013. July 2013 I started to weaning off Cymbalta. 5 - 10 % from the last dose every 4 weeks, sometimes I must wait longer for the next reducting step. 

(Summer 2011  burn out with a severe depressive episode)

Congratulations on your recovery!! Enjoy your life!! 🤍 

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

Purplestars22,

THANK YOU seems so inadequate BUT it will need to suffice. Woke up this morning with the familiar dread. Read your very hopeful post, went for my walk and am now reminding myself based on your post to never ever give up hope. Know that your post helped springboard me out of a recent wave. Ugh. My version of waves is relentless tears. How on earth can a person generate that much moisture from inside? I wish I knew how to turn these tears off. Any ideas?.......
Enjoy the journey and again thank you for helping me keep the faith as I continue along. 
Best to you.

•  Various antidepressants since 1995.Prozac,paxil,lexapro, Wellbutrin.
  •  2004-2021 lexapro 10 mg
  •  2009 added drug Wellbutrin 150mg, 2016  bupropian300 mg XL
  • 2019  start taper June bupropion 300 mg. Now resuming micro dose taper.2.3% reduction. At 51.8 mg.Hope to increase reduction. 
  • 2021 January 29 liquid lexapro done by compound pharmacist.
  • 2021 February 4 began  lexapro taper 
  • 2022 April 7 start 10 mg fluoxetine as bridge.
  • hyperbolic taper. Liquid lexapro 6.60, holding. 
  • 2022 April 27 dropped to 5 mg fluoxetine holding.
  • held all taper from March 2023- January 2024
  • working with mark Horowitz, a taper coach, and doing acupuncture and chiropractic work.
  • SUPPLEMENTS- Vit d3, B-12, Magnesium 200 mg, Ashwagandha 475mg, lithium  oratate 5 mg

• Mentor

Thank you for coming back to share your story and congratulations on your recovery. Did you suffer from emotions numbness( unable to feel love, joy, excitment..,? And a chemical feeling of dread/fear/depression/hopelessnes during WD? When did you feel like you have turned a real corner in your recovery. Thanks

Cymbalta 30 mg- 60 mg 

06/2016-  10/2018 ( Cold Turkey) 

On 1/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, manymoretodays said:

Oh, and awww.......thank you so much Purplestars22 for writing this!  And yah, great name, you know I do like purple......LOL.  Quoted some of my favorite parts.

Best Purplestars22.  Thank you again, for writing this, and posting.  You......are......a.......success, my gosh, so very proud of you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hello manymoretodays, you are welcoming it was therapeutic for me to write my success story and closing that chapter of my life. Thank you so much for referring me as a success.     Takecare, Purplestars

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

On 1/18/2021 at 7:05 PM, Kimboslice said:

Well done Girl.. you should be so proud!! 😊😊

Thank you Kimboslice, I cant wait to read your success story one day!    Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

On 1/18/2021 at 10:50 PM, Cocopuffz17 said:

Glad to read another success story! Amazing :) I hope you all the best :)

Hello Cocopuffz17, thank you and wish you the best as well.      Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

On 1/18/2021 at 10:51 PM, Pina said:

Congratulations 💕

Well done. I know how hard is the way. 

I am still struggling after 31 month after zero. 

You are so right with what you write. 

Thanks for your post. A bright spot for the day.

Wish you all the best for your life. 

Hello Pina, I totally know what you are going through during 31 months I was experiencing horrible wd symptoms. Please hang in there, have some distractions, practice acceptance/mindfulness and know that it will slowly get better. Thank you so much for your warm wishes and wish you the same. I believe in your recovery.     Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

On 1/18/2021 at 11:15 PM, Istm said:

Congratulations on your recovery!! Enjoy your life!! 🤍 

Hello Istm, thank you so much!     Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

On 1/19/2021 at 5:24 AM, benesh said:

Purplestars22,

THANK YOU seems so inadequate BUT it will need to suffice. Woke up this morning with the familiar dread. Read your very hopeful post, went for my walk and am now reminding myself based on your post to never ever give up hope. Know that your post helped springboard me out of a recent wave. Ugh. My version of waves is relentless tears. How on earth can a person generate that much moisture from inside? I wish I knew how to turn these tears off. Any ideas?.......
Enjoy the journey and again thank you for helping me keep the faith as I continue along. 
Best to you.

Hello benesh, you are welcome. I know that feeling oh so well of being in dread, but just taking a walk or doing something you enjoy will clear your head and give you a sense of inspiration that things will get better sooner or later. Your tears are just neuroemotions that are coming to the surface, maybe journaling how you are feeling, writing in your thread and communicating on other peoples thread may help. Just know you are not alone going through this, I had the most horrible wd suffering years endlessly with only a couple of hours a day of feeling okay and I got better and you will too. Thank you so much, I am glad I was able to offer a glimpse of hope.      Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

12 hours ago, Amira123 said:

Thank you for coming back to share your story and congratulations on your recovery. Did you suffer from emotions numbness( unable to feel love, joy, excitment..,? And a chemical feeling of dread/fear/depression/hopelessnes during WD? When did you feel like you have turned a real corner in your recovery. Thanks

Hi Amira123, you are welcome its my pleasure to let people know that recovery does exist and especially with cases like me. Thank you so much. Yes during the first years around 1-2 I suffered anhedonia and was a zombie not feeling any emotion, also I had the urge to cry but could not. Yes and also the chemical feeling during wd. I would say after the third year or third year and a half progress was more noticeable and was experiencing more windows.   Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

Hi, 

Congratulations on your recovery. 

Have you suffered from low blood pressure, poor circulation, numb extremities and overall numbness too? Have they completely resolved? 

Also, since I am a sufferer of an adverse reaction, were you having side effects when you first took the drug? 

I am still very worried that people always recover from withdrawal, but not from an adverse reaction.

2nd of April 2020 - 7th of April 2020 Sertraline 50 mg (adverse reaction).

2nd of August 2020 Omega 3 fish oil 1000mg (currently on).

• Mentor

That's Great!  Seeing someone who had all these stuff and then recovers gives me alot of hope that someday i can have a normal brain/life again. yes i know the zombie/dead feeling, we have been friends for 28 months now :D

Cymbalta 30 mg- 60 mg 

06/2016-  10/2018 ( Cold Turkey) 

21 hours ago, cleopatra said:

Hi, 

Congratulations on your recovery. 

Have you suffered from low blood pressure, poor circulation, numb extremities and overall numbness too? Have they completely resolved? 

Also, since I am a sufferer of an adverse reaction, were you having side effects when you first took the drug? 

I am still very worried that people always recover from withdrawal, but not from an adverse reaction.

Hello cleopatra, thank you. I did suffer from lo blood pressure, I remember taking my bp and the reading was 94/72 and the average or normal bp should be 120/80. I did have numbness in my hands and all that has resolved. I did not have adverse reaction when I first started the medication only when I reinstated for the five days and stopped taking it immediately. The symptoms that I got from reinstating was the high feeling, and my mind was clear with no thoughts or anything and that scared me.  I believe that people do recover from an adverse reaction, I am sure there are some in the success stories. Hang in there, you got this.         Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

7 hours ago, Amira said:

That's Great!  Seeing someone who had all these stuff and then recovers gives me alot of hope that someday i can have a normal brain/life again. yes i know the zombie/dead feeling, we have been friends for 28 months now :D

Hello Amira, glad I was able to offer some hope and yes you will have a normal brain/life again soon.   Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

Congratulations! Must be such a relief! Enjoy this AD free and joyful life!

Current ( 3/7/2021):

Medications: 20 mg Lexapro. 7.5 mg remeron ( started at 15 mg)

Supplements: fish oil

Tapering: Remeron (50% complete). 

Med History:

Lexapro ( 20mg) 2013-current 

Remeron (15 mg) 12/2020- tapering @10% a month followed by 2 week hold

8 hours ago, Carolina said:

Congratulations! Must be such a relief! Enjoy this AD free and joyful life!

Hi Carolina, Thank you so much, it really is a relief and sense of accomplishment that I was able to get through this. Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

Thanks for the words of hope.  I'm nearing 8 months AD free and experiencing a pretty major wave.  I also took caffeine out of the equation 15 days ago.  and alcohol 8 months ago.  God it's hard to keep the faith that I can actually recover but this is helpful.  Thank you!

2012 to 2015 - on Lexapro varying between 5 and 10 mg dose

2018 January - quit cold turkey and stayed off for 7 months before resuming 

2018 October - resumed Lexapro 10-15 mg (kept fluctuating back and forth bt these doses)

2020 June - tapered for two weeks then abruptly quit out of frustration

last dose of Lexapro - June 6 2020 5 mg

** was a heavy alcohol abuser this whole time, until I quit drinking November 2019

On 1/29/2021 at 9:43 PM, spagett said:

Thanks for the words of hope.  I'm nearing 8 months AD free and experiencing a pretty major wave.  I also took caffeine out of the equation 15 days ago.  and alcohol 8 months ago.  God it's hard to keep the faith that I can actually recover but this is helpful.  Thank you!

Hello Spagett, I am sorry to hear that just know that it will pass. Caffeine is very activating and should be avoided and alcohol is not helpful during this time of wd. I would recommend magnesium, fish oil supplements, ginger and chamomile tea. I have been in your position and know what you going through, if I revovered you will too!     Take care, Purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

God bless purplestars home I can do same               barney

Ativan 2mg 1980 to 2020.

cetalapram 10mg 2012 to 2020.

tecta 40mg 2012 to 2020.

Antenol 25mg half pill 2000 to 2021.

Risperidone .25mg 2021

On 2/6/2021 at 4:47 PM, Barney said:

God bless purplestars home I can do same               barney

Hello Barney, thank you. Yeah I am sure you will recover too.   Take care, purplestars

Celexa free 12/2013

• 11 months later...

Hello @Purplestars22

Congratulations 😀😀😀😀

I read right that you reinstated in 2012 and  then tapered too fast till 2013?

How was your sleep, do you had Insomnia too With no sleep?

2012 - 2020/Dec. 75 mg Sertralin, stopped by 12,5 mg

2021: reinstated 1 mg, tapered off too fast, Crash in 4/2021

4/2021 - 8/2021 Mirtazapin: stopped by 3,75 mg

11/2021: Seroquel 150 mg, 12/2021: increased 250 mg, 225 mg 26/2/21

since 11/2021: Zopiclon 7,5 - 15 mgs

@Purplestars22 

so nice to read another success story and congratulations! I am coming up on 4 years since withdrawal started but 43 months pharma free with no other meds and a short stint on zoloft. Overall I am much better. But I still struggle with some si, some inner aka, some dread, some depression some anxiety. Did you still struggle at 4 years. I am way more functional and overall much. Better but it’s never easy for me to have these symptoms or to feel like life isn’t worth it. I also have physical symptoms but mental always over takes them. Did you take anything? Did it just really slowly over more time continue to improve? Thank you!!!

13 months on 25 mg of sertraline.

Fast taper in march 2018, reinstated 12.5mg

Cold turkey sertraline april 17,2018

Zyprexa 5mg april 17,2018

Zyprexa taper to lamictal May 4-13 (life threatening rash)

Back on zyprexa 5mg for 10days & tapered over 5 weeks.

21 months off sertraline 

19 months off zyprexa

22 months into withdrawl