SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Low-cost drugs: getting your prescription filled on a budget

Altostrata

• Administrator

For most antidepressants there's no reason to cut tapering short and risk withdrawal because you don't have insurance and can't afford high drug costs.

In the US, Walmart and Target, pharmacies have a list of generic medications for $4 for a month's prescription.

(If you have insurance, you may not be eligible for these programs! How messed up is that???)

RiteAid has a larger selection of $8.99 prescriptions, including generic Zoloft (sertraline).

Walgreen's has low-cost generics and discounted prescriptions. Many supermarket chains also have discounted generic prescriptions.

Phone the large chain pharmacies and supermarkets near you to find how much they'll charge for your prescription.

In the US, also see Blink Health for low-cost generic drug prescriptions.

If you are taking a brand-name drug and can't afford to pay for it, pharmaceutical manufacturers have subsidy programs for those in need. Phone the manufacturer of your expensive medication and inquire about their Patient Assistance Programs.

Edited by Altostrata
added link

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to RxAssist Patient Assistance Programs FYI. I dont know anyone who's used this service.

http://www.rxassist.org/default.cfm

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Link to RxAssist Patient Assistance Programs FYI. I dont know anyone who's used this service.

http://www.rxassist.org/default.cfm

This is helpful Barb, and worth checking, but and fyi, the financial floor for eligibility is very low. I helped people apply a few years back, and they were often disappointed. We don't offer much for folks with financial issues. The pits.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

If you can get medicaid,generics may be at no charge. For example, in PA, since I am on medicaid, i get my generics and on formulary scripts(lisinopiril/HCTZ, atenolol, Novalin-R) at no charge, everything else (Lantus, syringes, Viibryd, test strips) I pay 3.00 per script.

Edited by scallywag
delete unnecessary quote of first post

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you can get medicaid,generics may be at no charge. For example, in PA, since I am on medicaid, i get my generics and on formulary scripts(lisinopiril/HCTZ, atenolol, Novalin-R) at no charge, everything else (Lantus, syringes, Viibryd, test strips) I pay 3.00 per script.

Hi meister.. the problem is, many people don't qualify for medicaid. Therein is the rub. For example, in RI there is no more general public assistance, so people who do not have children are automatically disqualified. There is help thru the mental health system, but that is often predicated on taking meds as prescribed and I don't think non mental health scripts are covered. There used to be a waiver of sorts for people who were pending SSI acceptance, though I'm not sure what happened to this. The situation is dire. And some go into protracted withdrawal because coverage is stopped. ~S

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Agree that most programs from pharmaceutical manufacturers are difficult to qualify for. Likely a tax write-off/PR maneuver. There are many links within that site to hundreds of other programs - some government, others independent/nonprofit disease-based. http://www.rxassist.org/sitemap.cfm

The rebate/coupon programs FROM PHARMA are aimed at "new buyers". I've used a few different ones and have been subsequently shut out from ever using coupon for same drug again "first time buyers only/one to a customer". Similar to Verizon "promotion applies to new customers only". GRRR}}}

Sorry- I have a problem with any companies that have no "loyal customer" incentive. Of course, samples are being phased out. I pulled up one COPAY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM that has income qualification of 500% of National Poverty Level. http://www.copays.org/resources/pain.php

I had a prescription discount card that I used when I paid out of pocket for prescriptions then submitted receipts for 80% reimbursement. I got scripts at Target where i used their rewards VISA card which 'earned' me 10% coupons regularly. I used the prescription discount card (independent companies, download online - some very dramatic price differences between pharmacies), then my 10% coupon, then got reimbursed 80% of cost of drug BEFORE 10% deducted (that's what the pharmacy receipt showed). It was time-consuming, but saved quite a bit. I may have made money once. I pay co-pay at pharmacy now.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I've also had to hit up the religious social services agencies in the past also. I've had to use Lutheran Social Services and Catholic Charities in the past to take care of my copays, as well as get food. Here in York county, there is a program called Healthy York Network, for the people that are working, but have no access to health insurance, or have Heath insurance, but have such high deductibles as not to be worth having. I've also had to ask my congregation for help more than once. I've also had to ask my mother's congregation (while she was living) for help with her medications and Medicare coverage. Unfortunately, the teabaggers even want to take that away, as well as ANY kind of social support. Yes, I believe social welfare programs should be temporary, however, there is such a large stigma attached to welfare that it is next to impossible to escape, no matter what. Even with a diagnosis of Asperger's, I fear I'll never escape this labyrinth, no matter how hard I try.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

This issue is triggered frequently for me due to the high illegal population in my area. I will reserve that for the Rants area. :o

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I think it ironic that no one mentioned getting drugs from Canada on line. I investigated it to some degree when I thought that I would lose my insurance through my employer. Turns out I will not because of Cobra but get this:

All of these quotes are for a 90 day supply and are "around " figures. I threw away the quotes as I didn't need them.

Cost of Lexapro brand name without insurance in US~ $524 from Canada ( filled in Turkey)~ $124

Buproprion (generic Wellbutrin ) - without insurance over $600 in US!!! from Canada (filled in UK) ~ $ 109

You can't get "controlled" drugs such as xanax online.

In order to get drugs from a Canadian Phar. you need to fax a written prescription from your doc to them.

It is LEGAL to do this.

I purchased both lexapro & Buproprion & have the lexapro here already. I am NOT going to use it but when I see my doc. next I am going to bring the drugs with me to show him. I am also going to call a local compounding pharmacy to see if they may be interested in doing a bio assay of the drugs.

Let me say that I am so relieved to not have to worry about getting the correct drugs to taper FROM!!! And I would also like to ask WHO is getting all that money for these drugs?? AND WHY is xanax so CHEAP? I swear, A person could get rich selling that stuff on the streets. As a street drug, xanax is very profitable.

Just some food for thought.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

If you're in the US and can take a generic, I'd contact one of the big chain stores (Target, Walmart, Costco, Walgreen's) and see if the medication is on their $4-up list.

Recently, I found an online US pharmacy, https://www.healthwarehouse.com/ , that seems to have very good prices for generics. A 90-day supply of buproprion XL 150mg (Wellbutrin XL) is $75.00, with free shipping.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

GREAT tip!!! I also see they have 75 mg. tablets. Do you see that as being helpful in tapering from 300 mg.? The whole XL tablet thing has me going a little bit. But I have time to figure that out. I'm starting with the lexapro first.

I have a very flexible doc. He's the one who I saw to get these drugs. A VERY nice guy. He's kind of "grown up" since I've started seeing him. I plan on asking more probing questions about his feelings/observations/experience/opinion about these meds & long term use at this next appt.

It's an expensive 45 minute talk...but since he LIKES to hear HIMSELF talk more than anything ( which has always annoyed me..on my dime) this may be an advantage. He;s a psychiatrist by the way not a GP. Likes to remind me of his Mayo clinic background ..... I have to bite my tongue... my daughter did her clinicals there, earned her NP there and worked in endocrinology up until recently... 10 years. She doesn't have a whole lot of good to say about this guy but I like him.

He seriously is willing to try anything. It's just that all he knows and has been trained in his trying is always another pill, another dose ....

He wrote the script for Canada. I hope he'll work with me on possible going with oral liquid Lexapro & figuring out how to best taper the Well. XL. Still processing a plan here.

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

See the Tips for Tapering Wellbutrin topic.

For people who need meds that aren't on the $4 programs Alto mentions, or who run into conflicts because of insurance, there's another option. There are a lot of free discount cards that are accepted at many pharmacies (small independent pharmacies as well as big chain stores) that cost nothing, have no eligibility requirements, and you can have other insurance and use whichever gives you the lowest price. You can print the card out from your computer and use it immediately - no waiting. The pharmacy has to accept the card you use, but at least in my area almost all of them do. Even small "mom and pop" independent drug stores.

Quite some time ago I had printed out a card offered free through the auto club (AAA). Soon after that I picked up a card at my local library offering a "prescription savings card" offered through my city. (Naturally I was skeptical because my city has a 20-year waiting list just to fix potholes and broken sidewalks (!), but although the mayor's heroically smiling face is plastered all over the website associated with it, reading further shows that the pharmacies pay for the program, which is administered by a prescription plan company but is not actual insurance so no conflict.

My pharmacy ran both through the computer and it turned out in this case the free card offered through the city offered a greater discount than the AAA card. They keep it on file in the computer and I get the savings on all prescriptions. The various cards I'm now learning about say you can have more than one (their card and an insurance card, if applicable) and use whichever offers you the lowest price.

My most recent Swanson's vitamins order including a bunch of yet another such cards from another source. Haven't tried that one yet but I will. They're all similar but discounts can vary. Make sure they say, as mine do, that you will never be charged more than the regular price the pharmacy charges for the prescription (you never have to use the card at any given time). I've never had that happen, though the discounts for generics are far greater than those for brand name, based on a few I ran through on some of the programs' websites.

For example, I recently got a prescription filled at my usual pharmacy, for 30 tabs clonazepam (generic for klonopin). With the savings card I use, the cost was $6.74. I just called the pharmacy to find out what the cost would have been without the card - he said depending on brand (I request a specific brand for consistency) it probably would have been about $20.00 - 27.00, depending on the brand. (I know from past inquiries that they only order the brand I want to honor my request for it, because they usually buy a brand that's cheaper. So it's probably more on the upper end of that range.)

Not as good as the chain stores' $4 generics - but I don't think any of them even cover benzos. And since this is a savings card, there's no conflict if you have insurance.

If you google with the search terms: free drug discount card -- preceded by the name of your city, county, state, you'll probably find several that you can get. Some will offer better discounts than others. And when you print the card out, you don't necessarily have to enter your email or phone number, and often not even your name. Just ignore that - the codes on the card generated will work.

Being very concerned about privacy, I realized that even though the card I use doesn't even have my name on it (picked it up at the library counter; didn't even have to print it out), they of course will be able to track your meds through the code on the cards, I would think. But there is no privacy among insurance or employer prescription plans about what meds you get, and these are the same companies that offer the employer-paid prescription plans, it seems. Certainly check out the companies themselves if you have concerns.

Here's an article from an NBC news website that was linked from one of the plans' websites: MedSaverCard can save you... The article lists a few of the cards available nationwide. Many of the cards' websites have the capability to see which pharmacies in your area accept the card. (The tech at my pharmacy didn't even realize they were affiliated with it, but once he checked he found they indeed are, and he was amazed at the savings.) Some of the sites let you enter the med and quantity and see what price they've negotiated with the pharmacies to charge.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• Administrator

Good tip, Brandy.

Recently, I found the free AAA drug discount card offered the most savings for a prescription ointment, better than the free AARP card. I just picked up another card that was in a display in my doctor's office.

My pharmacy, Walgreen's, gave me the best price after checking all the discount cards I had. The ointment still cost $25, but it would have been more like $50 without the discount.

Also, if your insurance is about to end, refill prescriptions early, while you can get insurance coverage, and use the medications later.

My insurance is very strict about refilling scripts early. If a drug is once/day, they will give me that exact amount and only refill 3 days before my supply runs out. It's EXTREMELY anxiety-producing. Even when ive had to travel, they will not make exception. The pharmacist may be cooperative, but insurance wont cover. Ive even tried to pay cash and not go through insurance and they block it. I just had this happen with estrogen patches. I have Caremark/CVS insurance.

They also try to push a 90 day supply when possible. I recently had a script for 30 days of trazodone and had to pay cash because insurance would only cover 90 days.

It's become a circus.

• Administrator

https://www.healthwarehouse.com/ is offering a special today only, Friday, August 17, 2012 with coupon code FREEFRIDAY

Their shipping in the US is free, too.

Free Friday Prescriptions!

We're hosting Free Friday! Today, new prescription customers or current customers transferring their prescriptions to HealthWarehouse.com can obtain a free 30-day supply of any generic medication we carry. The offer is valid today only. Details are provided below:

* Only available today from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. ET

* Valid on new and transferred prescriptions only*

* Limited to $500 per customer / per order

* Typical turn-around of 3-5 business days

* Valid for a 30-day supply only

* Enter the code noted on the banner to receive the generic medication for free

Limit $500 worth per customer! You can get those expensive liquids.

I've ordered from this site and found their service to be excellent. You order the medication and then they contact your pharmacy for a transfer or your doctor can fax or phone an order to them afterward. It works very well.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Search for low-cost prescriptions from pharmacies near you on this site http://rxportal.unarxcard.com/search

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Can anyone recommend online Canadian pharmacies for those in the US?

In the US, the best online pharmacy I've found is https://www.healthwarehouse.com/

• Moderator Emeritus

I use this one from Canada. Be sure to check for quality and certifications. I've found Blue Sky to be good. You still need a prescription & if I'm not mistaking benzos they won't do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Interesting. I never heard of those prescription cards. My insurance, which is crappy in most regards, covers prescriptions pretty well, but I've been without insurance a lot of the time.

I have family living within a few miles of the US/Mexico border and I've bought meds at Mexican pharmacies from time to time--usually no prescription required and very low prices, but I've never tried to get "controlled substances" there.  Next time I go down in the fall I'm going to see which of my meds I would be able to get there if I needed it, in case I run into problems with prescriptions. From what I've heard you can get the controlled stuff, you just have to see a doctor first and get a prescription.

Along the border there are a lot of dentists and doctors who practice there because of the demand for affordable health care for American citizens due to our crappy health care system. Same with pharmacies. It's interesting to see.

I wonder if the Affordable Care Act is going to affect their business flow...Probably not the dentists anyway.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Walgreen's list of "valued-priced" prescriptions http://www.walgreens.com/images/psc/VPG_List_Update_01-02-2015.pdf

The price for a generic drug is based on its tier and whether it is a 30-day or 90-day supply:

30 - day-supply drugs cost $5 (tier 1) , $ 10 (tier 2) or $15 (tier 3)

90 - day-supply drugs cost $10 (tier 1), $20 (tier 2) or $30 (tier 3)

Many generic psychiatric drugs are on this list.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

A contact on Facebook reports her doctor faxes prescriptions to http://canadadrugs.com, another large mail-order Canadian pharmacy.

For the small price of $8.99/month you can become dependent on one of the most powerful drugs known on Earth!

What a deal!

• Moderator Emeritus

I just had a script filled at Health Warehouse for half of what I last paid.  They were written up in Consumer Reports December 1 of this year.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

A good way to shop for the best price on generic drugs in the US https://www.blinkhealth.com/

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Walmart's latest list of $4 generic drug prescriptions http://i.walmart.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/genericdruglist.pdfincluding

Amitriptyline 10mg tab

Amitriptyline 25mg tab*

Amitriptyline 50mg tab*

Amitriptyline 75mg tab*  

Amitriptyline 100mg tab*  

Benztropine 2mg tab    

Buspirone 5mg tab    

Buspirone 10mg tab*   

Citalopram 20mg tab    

Citalopram 40mg tab    

Fluoxetine 10mg cap*    

Fluoxetine 10mg tab*    

Fluoxetine 20mg cap*    

Fluoxetine 40mg cap*    

Haloperidol 05mg tab    

Haloperidol 1mg tab    

Haloperidol 2mg tab    

Haloperidol 5mg tab    

Lithium Carbonate 300mg cap*

Nortriptyline 10mg cap*  

Nortriptyline 25mg cap*  

Paroxetine 10mg tab*    

Paroxetine 20mg tab*    

Prochlorperazine 10mg tab

Trazodone 50mg tab    

Trazodone 100mg tab    

Trazodone 150mg tab*   

Trihexyphenidyl 2mg tab

• Administrator

Added Blink Health to post #1.

For example, as of today, via Blink Health, you can get a month of 10mg escitalopram (generic Lexapro) for $6.22-$8.22 at many US chain pharmacies.

• 8 months later...

For those in the UK- you can get free prescriptions via an NHS card (now a letter) if you are on a low

income and claiming certain benefits. My GP also gives two months supply of meds, this may be helpful 

as you only have to pay one prescription charge, I understand. Then I suppose if you are taking small amounts

of the meds you could buy fillable capsules from Amazon and make more doses as well. I am unsure about 

private prescription charges however.

More info here on the NHS free health costs https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-prescription-costs/

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

Start Jan 2019 5mg Fluoxetine mornings. Stopped amitryptilline.

6th Feb 2019 Stopped Fluoxetine, 2 X 425mg St Johns Wort daily. 

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

17th Feb 2019 Started taking single dose 425mg SJW mornings 

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

• ChessieCat changed the title to Low-cost drugs: getting your prescription filled on a budget
  • 4 months later...

Is there a thread anywhere on SA where ppl talk about how they got their drugs without insurance? 

Like cheap psychiatrists or something that will just fill your script 

2008: start Lexapro 10 mg which is quickly upped to 20 mg. 2008:2013 try at least four individual times to get off Lexapro, never get lower than 5mg, settle at 15 mg. 2015: again, attempt to get off Lexapro and get to 5 mg. After 6 months, feel i'm stabilizing but go back on a higher dose because of one stressful event. 2016: go to 20 mg from 15 mg due to work stresses, hit severe tolerance for the first time and become very suicidal. 2016-2017: try viibryd and cymbata in an attempt to feel better. Also add Lamictal 150 at some point. 2017: eventually land on paxil 37.5 and Lamictal 150. January 2018: cut paxil to 25. April-July 2018: reduce Lamictal in 50 mg increments till im off August. 2018: reduce paxil to 20 mg. december 2018: dropped Paxil to 18 mg, SEVERE CRASH. March updosed to 20 mg April 11: dropped to 19.4 mg due to akathsia (still experiencing akathsia symptoms from updose) April 20: 19 mg Paxil May 4: 18.7 Paxil July 5: 18.2 July 12: 17.8 Aug 19: 17.5 Aug 26: 17.3 Oct 20: 17.1 Nov 3: 16.9, 8/17/20: 16.6 after nine month hold, 8/24/20: 16.4, 8/31/20:16.2, 9/14/2020: 16.0, 9/21/20: 15.8, 9/28/20: 15.6, 10/19/20:15.4, 10/26/20: 15.2, 11/2/20: 15.1, 11/7/20: 14.8, 3/6/2-: 14.5, 3/20/20: 14.3, 4/3/20: 13.9, 4/10/2021: 13.7. 4/21/21: 13.5, 5/5/2021: 13.1, 12.2 8/12/2021 (slowly microtapered to this number. I just can’t remember the exact dates), 11.8 9/6/2021, 11.6 9/13/21, 11.2 9/27/21, 11.1 9/30/21.....11/5/21 switched to 10 mg tablet. I am holding to stabilize for the foreseeable future. 3/25/22: 9.4, 5/6/22: 9.0, 5/30/22: 8.25, 6/7/22: 8.1, 7/722: 7.65, 8/16/22: 7.39, 9/22/22: 6.91, 10/1/22: 6.78

Medication signature.docx

On 6/29/2019 at 1:06 PM, Adili13 said:

Is there a thread anywhere on SA where ppl talk about how they got their drugs without insurance? 

Like cheap psychiatrists or something that will just fill your script 

I know when I was on one of my meds, I didn’t have insurance. I contacted the manufacturer of the medication and filled out some paperwork and they gave me a years worth of meds. They sent it to me monthly.

Hope that helps.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy