MattAmitriptyline: Introduction - tapering off 100mg Amitriptyline

MattAmitriptyline

Hi all, 

I decided to make some big changes at the end of 2020, one of which was to finally ditch my long-standing antidepressant, Amitriptyline 100mg. 

I’ve been tapering according to the ‘advice’ of a psychiatrist and while seeing a counselor weekly, and I’ve made it down to 0... but I’m feeling pretty scattered, anxious, and sick to my stomach... a lot of the time. I’m also glad to have made it this far, and I’ve kicked some other bad habits along the way (marijuana and cigarettes). 

I’m feeling hopeful, but right in the middle of the worst of it... and I find myself thinking about “trying” a new antidepressant often these days... just to quiet my head a little bit. I don’t intend on doing that... but I am often in rough mental shape these days. 

Not looking for any specific advice, just support and understanding. This is my first time posting here, and I’m glad I found this community! 

Edited by manymoretodays
name to tile
  • manymoretodays changed the title to MattAmitriptyline: Introduction - tapering off 100mg Amitriptyline
  • Administrator

Welcome, @MattAmitriptyline

Counseling people about tapering is what we do here. If you are feeling sick with withdrawal symptoms, strongly recommend you stop tapering now and let your nervous system settle down.

How much amitriptyline are you taking now?

See Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Altostrata. I have resumed taking 25mg Amitriptyline, 1/4 of my sustained dose of 100mg daily, which I have taken for 7-8 years now. I feel less physically and mentally strained at this dose, but still unable to focus for extended periods on work or other productive activities. I tapered from 100mg to 25mg over the course of a little longer than a month. I know that is far faster than suggested, but I’m not excited about allowing myself to go back up from 25mg. I find myself considering switching from 25mg Amitriptyline to something more modern and with less side-effects like weight gain, like Sertraline 25mg or 50mg, but I know that is not what I really want... it’s just what I think will allow me to resume normal life, and retain my job, etc. I’m really struggling with what to do at this point, as I’m not able to function in the areas of life I need to, and it’s been about a month and a half. I’m desperate to return to some sense of normalcy and productivity... but I know that if I just switch I’ll find myself in the same place with the new drug in time. How do I allow myself the time to heal and slow-taper without destroying the little balance and income I still do have? 

• Administrator

Do you feel better now that you've reinstated 25mg? When did you do this?

We help people taper off drugs, we can't recommend another antidepressant for you. You might consider non-drug therapies.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.