SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lovingly: bad side effect withdrawal after stopped mirtazapine

Lovingly

I’m not doing well at all. I feel like I’ve lost my entire life these past 7 months. I’m extremely afraid, depressed and anxious and in so much pain and discomfort on a daily basis. I am unable to work, I can’t eat, I can’t take care of my children. This pain has had a detrimental affect on my husband and children as well as it has robbed them of their mother and wife that they knew.

I don’t know how I will live like this. The pain had debilitated me and has caused severe anxiety and depression. I have 3 young children who need their mom well. I don’t have any help and I’ve taken it upon myself to figure this all out. I am really praying and hoping you can help me get the right help so my kids can have their mom well again.

It all started for me in June 2020 when I stopped taking an antidepressant. I had been on low dose Mirtazapine (7.5mg) For about 10 months (August 2019 - June 2020) when I decided to stop. With the advice of my doctor I weaned down for 1 week. She told me to reduce the dose to 3.75 mg for 1 week. That was it. 

A few weeks after stopping the Mirtazapine, I began having intense rectal/vaginal/ perineal pressure. I couldn’t pinpoint where the pain was actually coming from. I thought that it was maybe from the increased bowel movements from the withdrawal. I was having about 5-6 bowel movements a day for about a week. During this time I was also put on Amoxicillin for a possible tick bit. I was a on the Amoxicillin for 14 days. The pressure feeling eventually was less intense (it still happens) but then one day in July I felt like a had a UTI. It can only be described as a tickle down in the ******/clitoris/ urethra like the urethra was holding pee. I kept going to that bathroom and most times not much would come out and after I would pee there was a burning sensation. It was never painful when I peed, only after I urinated. It was a constant feeling like I was needing to pee. I started to notice that some times my urine stream was weaker at times, sometimes it was hard to start the stream, and that the stream was sometimes spasmodic. I immediately started researching and came across something called interstitial cystitis. I called me doctor who ordered some tests (ultrasound, X-ray, urine and swabs) and they all came back normal. I stopped eating in fear that the food would aggravate the possible IC. This did not help the pain. I am still trying to log what I eat to see if it is food related. The urologists I spoke to ran some tests and said it was too soon to come up with a diagnosis of IC and that my symptoms didn’t quite fit with the diagnosis.

I went to the emergency a few times to get some help and each time I was told to take some antibiotics even though the urine results were negative. I took one round which didn’t help. I have also had vaginal swabs done to rule out any type of infection.

The pain seems to get triggered first thing in the morning after I have a morning pee and bowel movement. The pain can be described as burning, raw, gnawing, throbbing, pinching. I also have a feeling of arousal that I was describing as a tickle/tingle. After that morning pee and bowel movement, the pain stays with me all day and gets more and more aggravated each time I pee, have a bowel movement, sit, and/or drive. It is an intense burning, pinching, gnawing feeling in my ******, sometimes around the entire vulva, the urethra and clitoris, but mainly high up in the ******.

Because my mental health has greatly been affected, my doctor put me on Amitriptyline (5 mg/day) in August. I took this for 9 days. It did not help my mood, but in fact it made me feel more doom and gloom and didn’t help me sleep.

In September, I started to have orgasms in my dream. These orgasms wake me up. Upon waking I can still feel the throbbing sensation. It feels as if the orgasm throbbing doesn’t go away. This lasts all day and it is accompanied by a burning pain that radiates my whole pelvic area. When I orgasm in my sleep the next few days are really excruciating for me with pain and throbbing discomfort in my urethra and clitoris. It’s as if the muscles are still spasming from the orgasm and I just keep having orgasms all day. The sleep orgasms happen between the hours of 4-6am, and that is usually the time I am ready to have a bowel movement. I can feel the bowel area spasming inside, which is the same feeling as when the sleep orgasms happen. I am afraid to go to sleep because I am afraid this will happen during my sleep. I do not have sex with my husband because I don’t want to be touched in that area at all. It all feels so raw and painful that being touched there is the last thing I want to do. The pain also radiates to my groin area and it can be described as a stabbing, aching pain and it can also be felt in the pubic bones.

I have the arousal type feeling some days but it doesn’t make me want to masturbate or relieve myself at all. It’s more like an annoying itch or like a tickle that comes and goes. It seems to be triggered every time I have a bowel movement in the morning and then when I urinate throughout the day. I try to apply ice to relieve the pain but that doesn’t seem to help. There are times when the throbbing just happens and doesn’t stop.

I do suffer from leg pain and I have been for 2 years now. It sometimes radiates to my feet. I was tracking it to see if it was related to my cycle, which it seemed to be for some time, but now I am unsure. I do get achy legs, hands, arms during the month a few times, but the doctors I saw about it 2 years ago just called it fibromyaliga.

More recently when I sit on the couch with my legs out, I experience a burning sensation in my face, left leg and ankle, foot and head. It’s a tingling burning feeling. Sometimes my left foot feels cold and burning. 

There are times when the rectal/perineal pressure made me feel constipated and sometimes I was and sometimes I wasn’t. I tried for a while to use suppositories and

laxatives to see if that would help relieve the pressure. I was seen by my GI doctor to rule this issue out and he performed a flex-sig and a pelvic MRI and the only thing he saw were internal hemorrhoids. He didn’t think that would cause this issue.

I am currently using a vaginal suppository with lidocaine, a muscle relaxant and Valium. It’s only been a few weeks. I can’t really say if it’s working yet as it doesn’t provide relief from the burning and spasming during the day. I don’t take any other medications currently, because of my fear of them now and because nothing has been suggested to me yet that will alleviate all my symptoms. I am only taking natural supplements - vitamin D, B complex, Omega, Vitamin C.

I work with an accupuncturist, massage therapist, osteopath, a pelvic physiotherapist and a psychotherapist. These things have not changed my level, intensity or frequency of my pain/discomfort.

My pelvic physiotherapist thinks that I have a highly sensitive nervous system, from coming off the meds, and she is working with me to “retrain” the pain sensations to the brain. One pelvic physiotherapist said I have some tension in my pelvis. One doctor, after speaking with me for 10 diagnosed me with PGAD and gave me an expensive ointment, that didn’t work. One doctor I saw says he thinks I have PN on the left side from my child birth 7 years ago. Another doctor said, after doing a Tinel’s test, that it may be Pudendal nerve irritation on the right side. They have suggested a nerve block to see if the symptoms get alleviated.

I am left so frustrated, confused and feeling hopeless. I keep getting passed off and I’m left to find my own help and fight for my life. I have no plan, no relief of symptoms and I am spiralling more and more into a deep dark place.

I have had an extensive workup done - Flex sigmoidoscopy, pelvic MRI with contrast, head MRI, Spine MRI, sacrum MRI, hormone blood tests, vaginal swabs, urine tests, Pudendal Nerve MNR. I was told that the PN nerve MNR is not a great test as it gives a 70% false negative. Nothing seems to indicate a reason for this problem according to the doctors I have seen. The spine MRI showed - “there is narrowing of the left lateral recess with impingement of the traversing left S1 nerve root which is swollen.”

Over the past 2 months I have also developed low back pain, hip, bum and sits bone pain. It is a deep ache and burning. It is also triggered after I have a bowel movement in the morning and then causes pain when I sit throughout the day. I have spent a lot of time sitting for the last 7 months because I have become so paralyzed with fear and anxiety and depression. I also have vulva stabbing/pinching pain on the left side. 

I’ve lost a lot of weight, my hair is falling out and I have no energy to work to take care of my kids. I’ve complete become a different person. I was never like this. I was a strong, educated woman, and a mother who was able to live a great life before all of this.

I’m trying hard to believe in the mind body approach but I just don’t know if there is hope for me. I’ve read sarnos book. I’ve ordered your book. I’ve been in touch with various tms coaches to help me. Nothing is working. 

I feel like I’m in the fight of my life. I have to win this fight for my kids, my husband and myself so I can get my life back. I need this so badly. I pray for this daily and ask that this suffering stops because I can’t go on like this. It’s destroying my whole being, my life and my family. They mean to world to me. 

Mirtazapine is a motility agent - meaning it empties your stomach faster. I wonder if that has anything to do with this. I am searching and searching for answers. 

My family is forcing me back on an antidepressant. I don’t know what to do or which one to take. I know I need something. Any advice? Should I try the mirtazapine again??

Edited by manymoretodays
merged from success stories, stand alone topic, to members Introduction. Next post below, also moved, and spacing added for readability there.

Started 7.5mg of mirtazapine in august 2019

weaned off in June 2020 to 3.75mg for 1 week (as per dr advice) immediate side effects. 

tried amitriptyline for 9 days in aug 2020 - 5 mg

started 25mg/day of lyrica for 1 month on dec 25, 2020. Slow taper off. Final dose Jan 27 2021. 

reinstated lyrica on feb 8, 2021. First week 25 mg once a day. Second week 50mg - 25mg in the am and 25 in the pm. Third week 75mg - 25mg in the am and 50mg in the pm. Would like to start taper down. 
Increased dose of lyrica March 2021. currently taking 100mg of lyrica. 50mg in am and 50mg in pm. 

supplements- vit d, vit c, b complex, omega, magnesium, turmeric 

@Hopefull

I’m not doing well at all. I feel like I’ve lost my entire life these past 7 months. I’m extremely afraid, depressed and anxious and in so much pain and discomfort on a daily basis. I am unable to work, I can’t eat, I can’t take care of my children. This pain has had a detrimental affect on my husband and children as well as it has robbed them of their mother and wife that they knew.

I don’t know how I will live like this. The pain had debilitated me and has caused severe anxiety and depression. I have 3 young children who need their mom well. I don’t have any help and I’ve taken it upon myself to figure this all out. I am really praying and hoping you can help me get the right help so my kids can have their mom well again.

It all started for me in June 2020 when I stopped taking an antidepressant. I had been on low dose Mirtazapine (7.5mg) For about 10 months (August 2019 - June 2020) when I decided to stop. With the advice of my doctor I weaned down for 1 week. She told me to reduce the dose to 3.75 mg for 1 week. That was it. 

A few weeks after stopping the Mirtazapine, I began having intense rectal/vaginal/ perineal pressure. I couldn’t pinpoint where the pain was actually coming from. I thought that it was maybe from the increased bowel movements from the withdrawal. I was having about 5-6 bowel movements a day for about a week. During this time I was also put on Amoxicillin for a possible tick bit. I was a on the Amoxicillin for 14 days. The pressure feeling eventually was less intense (it still happens) but then one day in July I felt like a had a UTI. It can only be described as a tickle down in the ******/clitoris/ urethra like the urethra was holding pee. I kept going to that bathroom and most times not much would come out and after I would pee there was a burning sensation. It was never painful when I peed, only after I urinated. It was a constant feeling like I was needing to pee. I started to notice that some times my urine stream was weaker at times, sometimes it was hard to start the stream, and that the stream was sometimes spasmodic. I immediately started researching and came across something called interstitial cystitis. I called me doctor who ordered some tests (ultrasound, X-ray, urine and swabs) and they all came back normal. I stopped eating in fear that the food would aggravate the possible IC. This did not help the pain. I am still trying to log what I eat to see if it is food related. The urologists I spoke to ran some tests and said it was too soon to come up with a diagnosis of IC and that my symptoms didn’t quite fit with the diagnosis.

I went to the emergency a few times to get some help and each time I was told to take some antibiotics even though the urine results were negative. I took one round which didn’t help. I have also had vaginal swabs done to rule out any type of infection.

The pain seems to get triggered first thing in the morning after I have a morning pee and bowel movement. The pain can be described as burning, raw, gnawing, throbbing, pinching. I also have a feeling of arousal that I was describing as a tickle/tingle. After that morning pee and bowel movement, the pain stays with me all day and gets more and more aggravated each time I pee, have a bowel movement, sit, and/or drive. It is an intense burning, pinching, gnawing feeling in my ******, sometimes around the entire vulva, the urethra and clitoris, but mainly high up in the ******.

Because my mental health has greatly been affected, my doctor put me on Amitriptyline (5 mg/day) in August. I took this for 9 days. It did not help my mood, but in fact it made me feel more doom and gloom and didn’t help me sleep.

In September, I started to have orgasms in my dream. These orgasms wake me up. Upon waking I can still feel the throbbing sensation. It feels as if the orgasm throbbing doesn’t go away. This lasts all day and it is accompanied by a burning pain that radiates my whole pelvic area. When I orgasm in my sleep the next few days are really excruciating for me with pain and throbbing discomfort in my urethra and clitoris. It’s as if the muscles are still spasming from the orgasm and I just keep having orgasms all day. The sleep orgasms happen between the hours of 4-6am, and that is usually the time I am ready to have a bowel movement. I can feel the bowel area spasming inside, which is the same feeling as when the sleep orgasms happen. I am afraid to go to sleep because I am afraid this will happen during my sleep. I do not have sex with my husband because I don’t want to be touched in that area at all. It all feels so raw and painful that being touched there is the last thing I want to do. The pain also radiates to my groin area and it can be described as a stabbing, aching pain and it can also be felt in the pubic bones.

I have the arousal type feeling some days but it doesn’t make me want to masturbate or relieve myself at all. It’s more like an annoying itch or like a tickle that comes and goes. It seems to be triggered every time I have a bowel movement in the morning and then when I urinate throughout the day. I try to apply ice to relieve the pain but that doesn’t seem to help. There are times when the throbbing just happens and doesn’t stop.

I do suffer from leg pain and I have been for 2 years now. It sometimes radiates to my feet. I was tracking it to see if it was related to my cycle, which it seemed to be for some time, but now I am unsure. I do get achy legs, hands, arms during the month a few times, but the doctors I saw about it 2 years ago just called it fibromyaliga.

More recently when I sit on the couch with my legs out, I experience a burning sensation in my face, left leg and ankle, foot and head. It’s a tingling burning feeling. Sometimes my left foot feels cold and burning. 

There are times when the rectal/perineal pressure made me feel constipated and sometimes I was and sometimes I wasn’t. I tried for a while to use suppositories and

laxatives to see if that would help relieve the pressure. I was seen by my GI doctor to rule this issue out and he performed a flex-sig and a pelvic MRI and the only thing he saw were internal hemorrhoids. He didn’t think that would cause this issue.

I am currently using a vaginal suppository with lidocaine, a muscle relaxant and Valium. It’s only been a few weeks. I can’t really say if it’s working yet as it doesn’t provide relief from the burning and spasming during the day. I don’t take any other medications currently, because of my fear of them now and because nothing has been suggested to me yet that will alleviate all my symptoms. I am only taking natural supplements - vitamin D, B complex, Omega, Vitamin C.

I work with an accupuncturist, massage therapist, osteopath, a pelvic physiotherapist and a psychotherapist. These things have not changed my level, intensity or frequency of my pain/discomfort.

My pelvic physiotherapist thinks that I have a highly sensitive nervous system, from coming off the meds, and she is working with me to “retrain” the pain sensations to the brain. One pelvic physiotherapist said I have some tension in my pelvis. One doctor, after speaking with me for 10 diagnosed me with PGAD and gave me an expensive ointment, that didn’t work. One doctor I saw says he thinks I have PN on the left side from my child birth 7 years ago. Another doctor said, after doing a Tinel’s test, that it may be Pudendal nerve irritation on the right side. They have suggested a nerve block to see if the symptoms get alleviated.

I am left so frustrated, confused and feeling hopeless. I keep getting passed off and I’m left to find my own help and fight for my life. I have no plan, no relief of symptoms and I am spiralling more and more into a deep dark place.

I have had an extensive workup done - Flex sigmoidoscopy, pelvic MRI with contrast, head MRI, Spine MRI, sacrum MRI, hormone blood tests, vaginal swabs, urine tests, Pudendal Nerve MNR. I was told that the PN nerve MNR is not a great test as it gives a 70% false negative. Nothing seems to indicate a reason for this problem according to the doctors I have seen. The spine MRI showed - “there is narrowing of the left lateral recess with impingement of the traversing left S1 nerve root which is swollen.”

Over the past 2 months I have also developed low back pain, hip, bum and sits bone pain. It is a deep ache and burning. It is also triggered after I have a bowel movement in the morning and then causes pain when I sit throughout the day. I have spent a lot of time sitting for the last 7 months because I have become so paralyzed with fear and anxiety and depression. I also have vulva stabbing/pinching pain on the left side. 

I’ve lost a lot of weight, my hair is falling out and I have no energy to work to take care of my kids. I’ve complete become a different person. I was never like this. I was a strong, educated woman, and a mother who was able to live a great life before all of this.

I’m trying hard to believe in the mind body approach but I just don’t know if there is hope for me. I’ve read sarnos book. I’ve ordered your book. I’ve been in touch with various tms coaches to help me. Nothing is working. 

I feel like I’m in the fight of my life. I have to win this fight for my kids, my husband and myself so I can get my life back. I need this so badly. I pray for this daily and ask that this suffering stops because I can’t go on like this. It’s destroying my whole being, my life and my family. They mean to world to me. 

Mirtazapine is a motility agent - meaning it empties your stomach faster. I wonder if that has anything to do with this. I am searching and searching for answers. 

My family is forcing me back on an antidepressant. I don’t know what to do or which one to take. I know I need something. Any advice? Should I try the mirtazapine again??

Edited by manymoretodays
reduced font to 14, spacing for readability, moved from another members topic to this members Introduction

weaned off in June 2020 to 3.75mg for 1 week (as per dr advice) immediate side effects. 

started 25mg/day of lyrica for 1 month on dec 25, 2020. Slow taper off. Final dose Jan 27 2021. 

reinstated lyrica on feb 8, 2021. First week 25 mg once a day. Second week 50mg - 25mg in the am and 25 in the pm. Third week 75mg - 25mg in the am and 50mg in the pm. Would like to start taper down. 
Increased dose of lyrica March 2021. currently taking 100mg of lyrica. 50mg in am and 50mg in pm. 

Hi everyone 

I am new here. I was put in mirtazapine in aug 2019 for illness anxiety disorder and for weight gain. Was on 7.5mg once a day. It worked for me. I got back to work, gained a lot of weight. 
I decided to stop mirtazapine in June 2020. I asked my dr how to stop and she said to wean down to 3.75 mg for 1 week. The week after stopping I got a lot of terrible side effects. Started with bowel spasms, rectal pressure. Then I had feeling of a UTI. Severe burning after bowel movements and urinating. Also developed into pgad. 
I’m in a really really bad place and I am being forced on to another ad. I am here bc I need advice. Should I reinstate mirtazapine and then slowly decrease? Should I try amitriptyline? 
ive spent the last 7 months running from dr to dr trying to figure this out. I’m getting different diagnosis. I’ve been told IC, pudendal neuralgia, PGAD.  I’m afraid and having suicidal thoughts. I just want to know that this is my nervous system and it just needs to calm down but the symptoms make me think it’s permanent damage and I can’t be fixed.  Ive posted my long detailed story in other threads. Please advise. Thank you 

• Moderator Emeritus
23 minutes ago, Lovingly said:

Should I reinstate mirtazapine and then slowly decrease? Should I try amitriptyline? 

Welcome to SA, Lovingly.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Your taper was much faster than we recommend, which is no faster than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  Your fast taper has resulted in withdrawal symptoms.  Doctors don't believe in protracted withdrawal from antidepressants and commonly misdiagnose it.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

You are almost 8 months out from stopping mirtazapine.  Reinstatement works most predictably within 3 months.  So reinstatement might work or it might make things worse.  The alternative is to wait until your system stabilizes.  Unfortunately, there is no way to predict how long that will take.  We have found that the damage is not permanent and you will heal.   Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic.  If you decide you want to reinstate, let us know and we will suggest a dosage.  Do not reinstate without letting us make a suggestion.  Taking too much can make matters worse.

Regarding another drug, we are a site for going off drugs and we don't recommend other drugs to deal with withdrawal from a previous drug.  That would have to be a decision reached between you and your doctor. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridley I just added my signature. 

thank you for replying. I wish I got on here sooner. 

thank you for telling me that the damage won’t be permanent. I am really struggling. I have added a long detailed story about everything I’m experiencing. It’s been so horrible. 

I think I did too much to my nervous system bc of the fear of everything happening. I didn’t know what was going on at the time. I feel I need to reinstate something to help my NS calm down and then wean off. But I’m afraid to risk it. 

@Gridley

can WD last this long? Can it cause nerve type pain and pgad? I know I did too much during the withdrawal and I should have come on here sooner. 

even the supplements I’ve been taking. I didn’t know that. 

during my WD I was on antibiotics, amitriptyline for a short time, lots of supplements, doctor visits, tests, procedures...

I did too much. I just need to know there will be an end to this. Doctors are giving me all these diagnosis and making me so fearful. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lovingly, and welcome aboard,

I just merged a post from another members topic on back here, to your Introduction.  You'll see it now, it's the second post here.  I found another in the Success Stories forum, which now starts your topic here.

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

I just did some additional spacing for readability, in that post as well.

Would you add the amitriptyline to your signature as well.

48 minutes ago, Lovingly said:

I feel I need to reinstate something to help my NS calm down and then wean off. But I’m afraid to risk it. 

And yes, sometimes WD can be fierce.  And then, of course there might be additional factors at play too.  I don't know.  Sounds like you've had some testing, and also done some of your own research.  Always good when nothing comes to light, or is found.  Hard though, of course, to just sit and wait for healing.  Sounds like it has been really tough for you.  I'm so sorry.

And yes, apparently lot's of nervous system dysregulation going on now.  Sometimes.......the best one can do, is lot's of non-drug coping. 

Some of the links that Gridley gave you have a lot of information around WD in them.

And then we also have a whole section devoted to symptoms and self care.  You'll see that forum from the home page.

As far as the emotional symptoms go: 

Neuro-emotions
non-drug techniques to deal with emotional symptoms

Are you presently using anything, supplements or other?

And best, welcome aboard.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus
34 minutes ago, Lovingly said:

can WD last this long? Can it cause nerve type pain and pgad?

Yes, it can last quite a while.  It can also cause nerve-type pain and anxiety (anxiety is one of the most common withdrawal symptoms.  

53 minutes ago, Lovingly said:

I feel I need to reinstate something to help my NS calm down and then wean off. But I’m afraid to risk it. 

That has to be your decision.  There's no way to predict the effect of adding a new drug and, as I said, that's not what we recommend here.  Doctors know nothing about withdrawal and throw drugs at it.  That's what they do.  It's the opposite of what we do.  

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@manymoretodays

thank you for replying to me. 

do you think more can be going on or can this just all be my nervous system? Hearing it can be something physical/medical makes me spiral but it doesn’t make sense bc it happened right after stopping the meds. 

I updated my signature to show the supplements and when I took amitriptyline. 

I also recently weaned off lyrica. I was only on 25 mg a day for about a month. 

what do you suggest I do?? I need my life back. My babies need their mom well. I am having thoughts of leaving this life bc the pain and symptoms are so bad. 

do you believe the mind can calm and heal even if there is something else going on? 

Wow girl, you have been through it! I actually just came across this because It came up when I searched “pelvic” since I’ve been having a lot of pelvic pain lately. I have had many symptoms come and go - and am grateful for the ones that have gone - but the pelvic pain is back right now. I had that a lot in the beginning when I first quit Sertraline, but it hasn’t been a problem for the last few months. I developed pretty bad back, hip and butt pain as well after stopping (hip and lower back were the worst) and those remain persistent, and I know what you mean about the pressure feeling! Sometimes it’s like a stack of bricks are just sitting at the bottom of my core. None of this happened to me before my antidepressant roller coaster last year. Last spring I went to so many doctors that I swore I wasn’t going to see another one for a year unless it was an ER situation. I’m about to cave on this pelvic thing though because it’s so painful at times. I don’t really have a lot of advice for you at this point, but I wanted to let you know someone else was experiencing something similar!

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

@SandCastle what have the doctors said this could be for you? Have you tried other meds?

do you believe your muscles could be tensing from anxiety and causing nerve type pain? 

I’ve only tried the one medication. I’ve been to my OB, a hematologist and an orthopedic surgeon for different complaints. I didn’t mention anything to my regular doctor because he was kind of an AD pusher and I assume I know what his response would be. At my OB, I mentioned the pelvic pain but focused more on the hip pain and since I had given birth several months before, she did a pelvic exam and a urine analysis and figured it had something to do with me giving birth. She said if it persisted to come back, but I never did. I think that was last July. I went to the hematologist because I had easy bruising and red dots that were showing up. Before I even got to him, I found out that was a possible side effect of SSRI’s so that was the first time I quit. By the time I got to him, all evidence of bruising was gone but I had such bad joint pain, so he took like 5 or more vials of blood. Everything was normal except low iron. He did an iron infusion, later I had more tests and everything was normal, so I think he blamed it on low iron?? I still had terrible joint pain at that point. I did mention that I had recently quit taking Sertraline when he asked if I was on any medications, but he didn’t comment on that, and I hadn’t put two and two together at that point. The orthopedic surgeon was because of this weird buzzing in my head plus neck pain and other neurological issues like numbness/twitching. He did a neck x-ray plus a brain MRI and everything was normal so he said anxiety might be the cause. Well, I was pretty anxious by that point so couldn’t really argue with him. I kind of decided to take a break from doctors at that point because my symptoms were rapidly changing.

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again,

Please add in the lyrica to your signature too, with dates, started and stopped, and if any tapering.

We don't really want to encourage additional drug comparison conversations here.

42 minutes ago, Gridley said:

There's no way to predict the effect of adding a new drug and, as I said, that's not what we recommend here.

That's really not what this site is about.  There are other sites, and probably FB pages as well, based on symptoms, and then drugs and more drugs, and others experiences with them.  Patients like me, Depression forums come to mind.

And sometimes what happens with trying new drugs, and frequent changes......is that it might even prolong healing.  In any case, it can confuse the nervous system even further, while it's in a bit of a fragile state to begin with.

37 minutes ago, Lovingly said:

what do you suggest I do?? I need my life back. My babies need their mom well. I am having thoughts of leaving this life bc the pain and symptoms are so bad. 

And I know, I know......you do need your life back.  I would definitely work on the emotional symptoms, the feelings, and acceptance.......of as much as you can.

Do you have some ground support that is helpful and understands?

Oh so many of us have had to deal with such unfortunate circumstances here too.  Once you get your footing here, sometimes it can really help to go on out and support others on their threads as well.

If you look at it all, your case, have their been any improvements in symptoms since June 2020?

And oh best, it's often a shock, for many, on arrival here.......and so hugs........

Ultimately, what you learn, can become empowering though.  And that can be healing.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

2 hours ago, Gridley said:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic.  If you decide you want to reinstate, let us know and we will suggest a dosage.  Do not reinstate without letting us make a suggestion.  Taking too much can make matters worse.

@Gridley

please suggest dosage and how I can reinstate. I want to have an idea of what that should look like. Thanks 

• Moderator Emeritus
42 minutes ago, Lovingly said:

please suggest dosage and how I can reinstate

Your last dose was 3.75mg.  Your system is very sensitized from what was basically a cold turkey, and we recommend a very small dose to avoid overwhelming your system and making matters worse.

I'd recommend a reinstatement of 0.5mg--no more.  The following link gives instructions on how to get the small non-standard dose you'd need for a reinstatement.  

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

It takes 4 days for the reinstated dose to reach full strength in your blood stream and a few more days for it to register in the brain.  Be patient and give it a chance to work.  The purpose of reinstatement is not to eliminate withdrawal symptoms (though it does for some) but rather to make them tolerable.  If you feel worse after reinstatement stop immediately.  It can take several months for the reinstatement to stabilize your system.  Then you can begin a slow safe 10% taper to zero.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

@Gridley

the problem I have here where I live is that remron doesn’t come in liquid form. That will be too hard to figure out. I have to make some calls and see if it’s possible. 

How long do I stay at that dose?

Sounds like you are really going through it.

I went through similar symptoms that started months after stopping Paroxetine. Started with frequent urination then onto pain, throbbing, strange sensations, tension, feeling like urine is trapped in my uthera. I'm male so they presented in different ways. I went to some very dark places and any medical conditions like IC, PND, CPPD made me spiral further. My relationship with my son suffered and everything else. Extensive testing showed nothing and was given many theories which always resulted in anti depressants being offered.

Good news the symptoms peaked over a period  of waves and windows. It the started to reverse to the point now where I'm okay most of the time. I drink/eat lots of coffee, whisky, tomatoes etc essentially ignoring all the IC advice to retrain the anxious part of the problem which made me think I had IC. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone in withdrawal alcohol/coffee etc, I went through a long time of T-total.

Something definitely happened at the end of my withdrawal down there and then my anxious mind made it much worse and continued it after the initial problem. I've used TMS for rsi, Sarno techniques are used in the UK now but not called the same.

Although your story is different I hope this helps in some small way. I know I searched everywhere for stories.

Hang in there.

April 2007 -  Seroxat 20mg

August 2008 - Cold Turkey

August 2009 - Cold Turkey

November 2009 - Reinstatement adverse reaction akathesia/suicidal/anxiety

March 2011 - Start taper

November 2012 - Crash badly at 1.25mg akathesia/suicidal/extreme anxiety

January 2013 - 5mg Seroxat, 300mg  Lyrica

April 2017 - Successfully get off Seroxat with taper followed by 4 month of withdrawal 

January 2018 - Start with constant urinary urge/pain/burning/genital sensations 2 week after anxiety/akathesia ends

January 2019 - Started reducing Lyrica as I suspect it's causing frequent urination, tinnitus, fatigue, brain fog and mental decline.

December 2019 - Off all pysch meds

@Boris

wow. I can’t believe you went thru something similar. I can tell that you know exactly what I’m going thru. Thank you for reading my story. This has completely ruined me life in so many ways - my kids, i can’t work, my poor husband, I’ve lost friends. Bc everyone just wants me medicated to shut me up. I’ve been refusing bc I know this is somehow related to the meds. 

I have been dabbling in the tms world and know all about it. Sarno, schubiner, stacks. I’m going to try to do the work to heal. 

Ive spent too much time making my nervous system more aroused by the crippling fear and running from dr to dr for months and months. I’m so tired. 

i miss my old life. I miss eating and drinking wine and being normal. 

thank you for giving me hope. 

What is everyone’s thoughts on taking melatonin for sleep? I am worried now that I’ve been taking too many things during WD but the melatonin really helps me sleep. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Lovingly

The link I gave you previously, Tips for Tapering off Mirtazapine, gives specific instructions on how to make small doses, including how to make your own liquid suspension.  Here is the excerpt:

Mirtazapine tablet dosages are 7.5mg, 15mg, 30mg, and 45mg. The "orally disintegrating" version melts in the mouth and is widely available as a generic or brand-name Remeron SolTabs.

Reduce by splitting tablets
Request that your prescription be filled with the lowest dosage tablets or combination that includes the lowest dosage and split them into quarters for the smallest decrements. (A quarter of a 7.5mg tablet would be 1.875mg.) If you are very sensitive to dosage reductions, you may wish to weigh tablet fragments, see Using a digital scale to measure doses

Reduce by titrating a liquid

A liquid is easier to measure in order to taper by small amounts using an oral syringe. 

To taper, many people make mirtazapine liquids themselves. While water solubility of mirtazapine is "slight" according to http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00370 you can make a suspension of it yourself with a tablet and water or a pharmaceutical liquid such as Ora-Plus. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Refrigerate the DIY suspension for up to 5 days, then discard.

Have a compounding pharmacy make a liquid for tapering
Compounding pharmacies can make a liquid from the tablets. You will need a prescription written for the customized drug preparation. The only drawback is this can be quite expensive.

While your pharmacy may say the liquid is good for a month, people have noticed potency decreases over that time:

On 6/3/2020 at 8:52 AM,  marie123 said: 

I noticed tapering the compound liquid that I would get hit worse during the end of the month and posted on another forum thinking it might be the liquid. Two other Mirt taperers responded that they too had noticed the liquid was not as strong at the end of the bottle. Both mentioned it to their docs and compound pharmacy.  The docs and pharmacy all said that refrigeration of the Mirt slows down the degradation but does not eliminate it. They said it does degrade some by the end of the month and that they should get the liquid for two weeks at a time, which they did. Both said that worked and one said that he likes to make the cut with a fresh bottle. I will finish my bottle and then I will get a new bottle of liquid Mirt every two weeks....

Expand  

Please note the do-it-yourself liquids are kept for less than a week.

Reduce by making a liquid with the "orally disintegrating" tablets
You may be able to dissolve the orally disintegrating tablets ("Soltabs") in water and use an oral syringe to take a measured dosage. I couldn't find any reports of doing this but, since the orally disintegrating tablet is designed to dissolve in saliva, it seems likely to work.

After making the liquid, I would take the dose immediately and discard the rest -- do not count on it keeping for any length of time. For instructions on how to make a liquid, see how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules If you do this and it works, please let us know in this topic.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Hi Lovingly,

I’ve had a similar issue ever since I first tried to stop mirtazapine in June 2020. At this point I’m completely off for almost three months. I have pressure down there and feel like I have to pee way too many times a day although sometimes not much even comes out. There are times I go right back into the bathroom because i still feel the urgency or pressure. I can’t sleep through the night because I wake up with the urgency/pressure that never happened before this. I also have bad anxiety, random bouts of depression, stomach upset, fatigue and pain. I am in a similar situation, I am married and have two young kids. My family needs me back, heck I need me back. One thing I see a lot and have experienced myself is a lot of us from combination of anxiety, depression, and physical pain/problems think something is wrong with us medically. I have chased that notion for too long, even after several doctors and tests have found nothing. I think it’s hard to believe that with all we are going through that something more isn’t going on. Then anxiety plays on it and feeds into it making it worse. I hate it. The best advice I can offer is to try not to let it consume you. The more I worry about symptoms, withdrawal etc, the worse it gets. Be easy on yourself. Acceptance, patience, and self love are very helpful. I try distraction, staying busy, deep breathing as much as possible. This experience has been tough to say the least. I hope we both get through this sooner rather than later. Sending you all my love, please know your not alone! We will beat this and become better versions of ourselves ❤️

March 2020- started mirtazipine 7.5 for panic attacks 

April 2020- DR increased me to 15mg

June 2020- was told to completely discontinue

5 days later- horrible w/d, 2 days later reinstated at original dose

August 2020- decreased to 7.5

October 2020- following doctors advice I started an alternating taper schedule because I wanted to get off completely. I did it for 1-2 weeks before stopping altogether

2020-present- given 1mg Ativan PRN for severe panic attacks which I take infrequently. Since discontinuing mirtazipine they don't give me the same relief. Once I got worse, all other times it helped a nominal amount as compared to before where it would make it much much better

Thanks for your reply. It means a lot to me. The problem for me is that it has turned into something physical that I’m trying to figure out. I’m a mess. I’m trying not to let it consume me but it has. My poor babies have already lost their mom. 

Amanda23 - That is exactly how I felt and experienced the toilet breaks. I never thought it would improve but it does so much. I can finally sit and watch a film or relax with my son. Keep going.

March 2011 - Start taper

April 2017 - Successfully get off Seroxat with taper followed by 4 month of withdrawal 

January 2018 - Start with constant urinary urge/pain/burning/genital sensations 2 week after anxiety/akathesia ends

January 2019 - Started reducing Lyrica as I suspect it's causing frequent urination, tinnitus, fatigue, brain fog and mental decline.

@Boris  did you have pain?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lovingly

I think you already know that Mirtazapine in itself is a giant antihistaminic. When you used for a while and stop abruptly, than the body is more susceptible to allergic reaction when faced with a reach histamine diet. I used to have similar problems during my taper, because same as u i was a short time user of Mirtazapine but differently from you i performed a slow taper. Anyway i would feel at cases burning sensation while urinating, indicative of any infection but luckily nothing of that kind was there. 

Check your diet my friend. Are you eating foods reach with histamines?? If yes try to regulate your died and maybe you can try for 2-3 days a low dose of Mirtazapine of 1.5 - 2 Mg . If the symptoms lessen than yes you might be effected by the wd and you build a plan of tapering 10% from there. The advice that Amanda gives you is very good. Try to not overreact and scare yourself out of proportion. Things will be ok. You have been a short time user and as long as the physical tests come ok you will make it to the other side. Accept the problem for now and try to continue your life and focus on the good thing God has given you. You have a good husband and lovely kids.... your problem is just a temporary one. 

All the best 

Santino

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg, 25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg, 07/Feb/17 5 Mg, 15/Feb/17 4.8Mg, 27/Feb/17 4.5Mg, 15/Mar/17 4.2Mg, 23/Mar/17 4Mg, 1/Apr/17 3.7Mg, 14/Apr/17 3.4Mg, 27/Apr/17 3.1Mg, 06/May/17 2.8Mg, 22/May/17 2.6Mg, 31/May/17 2.3Mg 09/Jun/17 2Mg, 20/Jun/17 1.7Mg, 29/Jun/17 1.4Mg, 11/Jul/17 1.2Mg, 20/Jul/17 1Mg, 31/Jul/17 0.8Mg, 11/Aug/17 0.6Mg, 23/Aug/17 0.5Mg, 05/Sept/17 0.4Mg, 13/Sept/17 0.3Mg. 22/Sept/17 0.2Mg, 03/Oct/17 0.15Mg, 10/Oct/17 0.1Mg, 23/Oct/17 0.05Mg, 22/Nov/17 0.025Mg, 06/DECEMBER/2017 MIRT FREEE.

@Santino  thank you for messaging me. It means so much to me. I’m in a really bad place and my Health anxiety has really spiraled out of control. Family wants me admitted to a mental hospital. They want me back on meds. I know I need something but I’m too afraid. 

what if going back in mirtazapine makes it worse? Should I try an antihistamine med??

3 hours ago, Lovingly said:

@Boris  did you have pain?

Yes all over and it would move around. It felt like tension pain.

March 2011 - Start taper

Lovingly I completely understand. I can’t tell you how much time I have spent consumed by my health anxiety and the withdrawal, unfortunately it only made it worse and put more strain on my CNS. But I can tell you how much better I am when I actively try not to be consumed by it. I’m not going to lie, I still have times when I do. I thought my kids had lost me too, hospitalization was recommended. It got better once I took measures to start to try and accept what I was going through and not hyper analyze  every symptom. Meditation, mindfulness, weekly counseling, deep breathing, distraction techniques, trying to keep busy have all helped. I still have bad days/moments but I’m better than I was 4-7 months ago. I felt the same way you did. Now I have waves and windows. But the good times give me some hope. The frequent urination, pressure, and sense of urgency haven’t let up yet. I’m unsure if that’s withdrawal, anxiety, or both. But it’s nice to hear it has for Boris. There’s an app called dare that has a health anxiety section. Also look into the anxiety guy on YouTube, he has a lot of content on health anxiety. I’m so sorry your going through this. Be easy on yourself. I know how hard it is. Hugs

October 2020- following doctors advice I started an alternating taper schedule because I wanted to get off completely. I did it for 1-2 weeks before stopping altogether

2020-present- given 1mg Ativan PRN for severe panic attacks which I take infrequently. Since discontinuing mirtazipine they don't give me the same relief. Once I got worse, all other times it helped a nominal amount as compared to before where it would make it much much better

Boris: thank you so much! That gives me so much hope that this will eventually pass

Lovingly, I thought I’d add, I noticed after the mirtazapine you were on amitriptyline and lyrica. Maybe those two meds further messed with your CNS. Supplements can be touchy too. Magnesium and omegas seem to be the best tolerated. At my worst I couldn’t even drink caffeine. Hope this helps

@Gridley  I can’t get it here in a small dose. Can I try going back to 3.75mg? I am spiraling really badly. My anxiety is really bad. Can’t even leave the house anymore. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Lovingly said:

Can I try going back to 3.75mg?

I am concerned that the 3.75 (which is where you you stopped) will be too much and could overwhelm your nervous system, making matters worse. You are well beyond the 3-month period when reinstatement predictably works.  Reinstatement might help or it might make things worse.  If it doesn't work, the bad effects will be less if you reinstate at a low dose

Did you read the excerpt I sent you about making small doses?

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

@Gridley  what do you mean it can make matters worse? What could I potentially be dealing with? 

Have you heard of anyone experiencing constipation and slowed digestion after stopped mirtazapine?

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Lovingly said:

what do you mean it can make matters worse?

Symptoms worsen.  I can't predict what symptoms might result, but if it would be like an adverse reaction where your system can't handle that much of the drug.  

Regarding constipation, withdrawal can manifest in many, many ways.  

Bowel problems and constipation - Symptoms and self-care ...

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

@Gridley  what about CBD oil to help calm my nervous system instead? Any advice about that?

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, Lovingly said:

@Gridley  what about CBD oil to help calm my nervous system instead? Any advice about that?

Members report mixed results.  Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org CBD oil to read responses.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.