Lovingly - bad side effect withdrawal after stopped mirtazapine

Lovingly

On 2/4/2021 at 10:20 AM, Lovingly said:

@Gridley  what about CBD oil to help calm my nervous system instead? Any advice about that?

I'd be careful with CBD, @Lovingly . I've tried it and it has thrown me into some pretty serious waves. I'd probably avoid.

Keep it Slow, Keep it Stable, Keep it Simple.  

2005- 2008: Lorazepam (max dose- 1 MG daily)

2008- 2016: Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

January 2017- March 2017- Pristiq (max dose- 100 MG daily)

April 2017- June 2017: Trintellix (max dose- 10 MG)

July 2017- October 2017:  Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

November 2017- April 2018- Luvox (max dose- 100 MG)

May 2018- Zoloft (max dose- 18.75)

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- Present- 4 MG Lexapro  

"The Journey is The Reward"

@Lovingly- my suggestion would be to order a Gemini-20 scale from Amazon with some empty pill capsules. Weigh 10 different uncut pills and take the average weight of the 10 as your starting point. Then take whatever that number is and divide it by the total milligrams to figure out how much 1 milligram weighs.  Then take that number and half it to figure out the weight of .5 mg.

Cutting pills this way literally saved my life. And to your earlier question, unless you have a bad reaction, you stay on the 0.5 mg until you feel like you've stabilized. It's not all terrible but it may take a very, very long time.  The worst thing you can do is to go and try a bunch of new stuff and make a bad situation worse.  Trust me, just look at my signature, I've lived it.

I'm here if you need me.

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- Present- 4 MG Lexapro  

@ryan1982  mirtazapine doesn’t come in capsules. Only pill form. My only option is to go back on 3.75mg. I can’t get it any lower. I’m suicidal and need something. I just don’t know what to do. 

Started 7.5mg of mirtazapine in august 2019

weaned off in June 2020 to 3.75mg for 1 week (as per dr advice) immediate side effects. 

tried amitriptyline for 9 days in aug 2020 - 5 mg

started 25mg/day of lyrica for 1 month on dec 25, 2020. Slow taper off. Final dose Jan 27 2021. 

supplements- vit d, vit c, b complex, omega, magnesium, turmeric 

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. You can cut the pills using a pill cutter and then put them in empty gelatin capsules. 

Pill cutter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KYVO78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_VXKE516KW84BSQ59XGGY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Gelatin capsules:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BI7Z364/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DNJTM37Q3QSJKMEWD02M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Gemini-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESHDGOI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_823FXTPS3VTNPMPN39Y2

Don’t even let suicide cross your mind. You’ll get through this. And your family needs you too much. 

What dosage are your pills?

@Gridley and @manymoretodays

do y’all have concerns with a Remeron updose to 0.5 if she’s been off since last June? I’m a bit out of my depth. 

Hi everyone,

just a question I’m hoping others can answer. The sleep orgasms I’m having are happening between 4-6am. Could that be bc of an adrenaline surge? I can feel the panic feeling start in my abdomen and start to travel down. It wakes me up so I can stop it from happening. Any thoughts? I’m a complete mess bc the dr have told me I have pudendal neuralgia - but this all happened after abruptly stopping mirtazapine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks 

weaned off in June 2020 to 3.75mg for 1 week (as per dr advice) immediate side effects. 

started 25mg/day of lyrica for 1 month on dec 25, 2020. Slow taper off. Final dose Jan 27 2021. 

manymoretodays

Hi Lovingly,

Have you decided as far as doing a reinstatement or not?

And thank you @ryan1982for your help and support.

I agree with Gridley's initial recommend of 0.5 mg of mirtazapine for a reinstatement.

And then it looks like this has been outlined, how to do this as well:

I did a liquid for my last taper, and although I was feeling pretty cognitively impaired, I felt it to be the simpler of the options to just make my own. 

And then I managed to do the math, to know, how much liquid I needed to take to get the amount or dose strength that I needed.

You could make a 1 mg per 1 mL solution, and then take 0.5 mL to get a 0.5 mg dosage.

And yes, you are a ways out now from your last mirtazapine dose in August.  And it is totally up to you to decide, if you do want to try this option, after looking at all the information already provided.

9 hours ago, Lovingly said:

Hi everyone,

just a question I’m hoping others can answer. The sleep orgasms I’m having are happening between 4-6am. Could that be bc of an adrenaline surge? I can feel the panic feeling start in my abdomen and start to travel down. It wakes me up so I can stop it from happening. Any thoughts? I’m a complete mess bc the dr have told me I have pudendal neuralgia - but this all happened after abruptly stopping mirtazapine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks 

Sounds like you might be having a cortisol awakening, as well as some neurological or nervous system dys function now.  The early morning cortisol wakes you up.  The sleep orgasms are probably not anything to be feared, on their own.......but the coritsol is then responsible for the fearfulness.  I mean that would be my take.  Are the orgasms painful?  I mean that would be really crummy.

And okay neuralgia by definition: 

Neuralgia is characterized by short, recurring pain in a part of the body or along a specific nerve. The sensation may feel like burning, stabbing or an electric shock. The condition is caused by damage to the peripheral nervous system, beyond the brain or spine, and so is also known as peripheral neuralgia.Feb 22, 2018

Peripheral Neuralgia Definition

What often happens with some of this neuro-dysregulation dys function though........and this should give you hope.........is that it slowly gets better.  In other words, the damage is not permanent, but a consequence of WD really.

I don't know if you've had a chance to look at some of the links that you were given initially, by Gridley.  I'll refer you back to that first one on "What is Withdrawal Syndrome?", as it might help your understanding of what is going on now.  And then you've had a few drug trials too, since you stopped the mirtazapine in August.  And so........basically it just takes time for the nervous system to re-establish it's normal homeostasis after both WD, and then the effects of other drugs on the nervous system functioning.

And oh so hard to just wait it out.

Are your biggest symptoms now the panic, cortisol awakening, and then sexual dysfunction?  You might be experiencing PGAD.
And then this may help too:
Any other WD symptoms?

And okay Lovingly, best,
L, P, H, and G,
mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016. 

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

@manymoretodays  thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts. 

I haven’t decided what to do yet. I have ordered the supplies that @ryan1982 told me to get to cut the pills. I’m still in turmoil trying to decide. The thing is I need something to help calm me down or else my family will put me in a hospital, or worse I will not make it. 

yes the sleep orgasms are very painful and horrifying. But they are happening at the cortisol wakening time. Will that settle?? Will the PGAD go away? I’m a complete mess. I can’t even get myself up off the floor to function. 

the drs are telling me to get on meds ASAP and want me to start at 3.75mg and laughed when I told them about a lower dose to start. 

when you say dysfunction, can I still heal? Please give me hope for healing. Please!

manymoretodays

Yes, of course.  You can heal. 

Most of this stuff is temporary.  Really.

The PGAD can feel extreme, from my understanding.  I didn't experience that symptom, but from what I can glean, form some of the other members who I have worked with who have had it........it does become, in itself, an obsession that's hard to break free off.  Just the constant worry thoughts, and looping thoughts, and panic.

You may want to post on that topic, to gain some further support too, or to help gain some non-drug coping.

Do some simple stuff.......just breathe. 

Take some breaks from trying so hard for everyone else.

What are your favorite distractions?

You've got little ones at home?

Any breaks you can make for yourself.......self care we call it........WILL help. 

And it's hard to do, when we have symptoms for months on end........most of us don't get a whole lot of understanding from loved ones or doctors.

Do your best to lie low, as best you can.

Talk with some of the other member Mums too.  Do some of the mutual support.  My son was mid teens when I was going through some of the hardest stuff.  And......when I attempt to apologize now.......and now he is nearly 29........he just says......."oh, forget it, it was nothing........blah, blah, blah......new subject"

Anyway, they thrive in spite of us sometimes. 

(and not down playing my own suffering)

But yes, you can heal.  You can adopt hope.  And with me, not all of that time was horrid.  Many windows of life.

Get on over to the Symptoms and Self Care forum too.......and look at some of the top pinned topics, and try some of the non-drug coping that appeals now.

And best.  L, P, H, G, mmt.

Edited by manymoretodays

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016. 

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider. manymoretodays

I recently started taking evening primrose oil because I was having hormone imbalance issues from menopause. What was shocking is that it eliminated my early morning adrenaline surges entirely, greatly improved my sleep and seemed to raise my serotonin. Evening primrose oil has gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in it, which is a type of essential omega-6 fatty acid, which, unlike normal omega-6, is actually very anti-inflammatory to the brain. If you don't get it from food, your body makes it because it is necessary for proper hormone and neurotransmitter balance in the body. Our body normally makes it from other fatty acids, but it takes lots of nutrition to make the conversion and many of us are nutrient deficient. Further, many women have genetic defects that prevent their ability to convert fats to GLA. GLA regulates neurotransmitters and hormones in the brain, and women who do not convert it commonly have severe PMS and menopause symptoms, because their body is unable to balance their hormones and neurotransmitters without it. Imbalanced hormones and neurotransmitters can cause every symptom in the book. What you describe sounds very hormonal in nature, and I wonder if GLA would not help regulate/calm it. It is recommended to take evening primrose with fish oil to balance prostaglandin-types which it produces. I take the Omega Woman, Nordic Naturals brand. It has helped me greatly with anxiety and hormone/adrenal surges. This is not medical advice; I am not a doctor. I am just telling you of something that helped me personally in a dramatic and life-changing way, quite unexpectedly. I will be praying for you. I have been where you are. I know the desperation. Don't give up. You're going to get better.

Celexa 40mg 2001-2015; 20mg 2015-2020; 10mg 2020-present 

Valium 10mg, 2007-2011, tapered over 13 months; - off 

Remeron- had to go on due to horrible Valium withdrawal60mg 2011-2013; 30mg 2013-2017; 15mg 2017-present

@ask2266  thank you for your message. I need all the hope I can get right now. I’ve wondered if this could all be hormonal but all the doctors laugh at me when I ask that. I’m in such a bad place. I don’t know if I will make it out. It’s destroying me. 
have you heard of all the things that are happening to me being caused by hormones? My mother went thru menopause at my age. But I’m still getting a period. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lovingly. I haven't read all of your posts. I didn't have the pelvic pain like you but had severe back pain in the first year of withdrawal. I also had pgad on top of numerous other issues. It has gone. It last for a year, maybe and gradually subsided. It almost seemed like a restless legs type sensation but in the intimate areas. That alone 24/7 could drive someone to not want to live. One thing I think helped was focusing on low histamine foods. Your histamine system can get messed up in withdrawal sometimes (certainly with ssris- not sure about mirtazapine- see Dr David Healey). 

You could try a low histamine diet (especially no tomatoes, chocolate, highly processed meat, avocado, old food etc), and maybe supplement Dao (diamine oxidase) before eating meals ( 3 times a day). Could be worth a shot. Xx 

. Seroxat 2001 ish to 2002 ish

. Citalopram 20- 5mg 2002- 2016 

Citalopram 5mg for 5 weeks 10mg for 5 weeks from May 2017

.Sertraline 12.5 to 25 to 37.5 to 50mg from Aug 17 to Nov 17 

.Sertraline attempted taper from 50mg April 18 to September 18 from 50mg to 12.5mg. 

. Sertraline cold turkey from 12.5mg 1st October 18

Ps I am 2 1/2 years from my withdrawal issues; reinstated 1mg of citalopram which didn't help. I think promethazine 4 times a day helped to stabilise me a bit but not sure if I'd recommend it as they case cause rls. 

I am too scared to come off or change anything at the mo. Still on 3/4 of a promethazine too. 

I have two children and our lives are very different. I am in a wave after not having have one like this for a year and a half , which is upsetting as I thought I was past that. I think stress and maybe too many supplements may have tipped me over.

I wish you well. You will recover. Do what you can; I know how hard it is. You are doing your very best and what has happened is not your fault . 

. Seroxat 2001 ish to 2002 ish

. Citalopram 20- 5mg 2002- 2016 

Citalopram 5mg for 5 weeks 10mg for 5 weeks from May 2017

.Sertraline 12.5 to 25 to 37.5 to 50mg from Aug 17 to Nov 17 

.Sertraline attempted taper from 50mg April 18 to September 18 from 50mg to 12.5mg. 

. Sertraline cold turkey from 12.5mg 1st October 18