SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Valj: Tapering off Seroquel

Valj

I’ve been on Seroquel for 4 months. My doc had me go from 75-50-25. As I wanted to get off this medication. O wine I got off at 25 it was horrible I got very agitated. Went back on. Then back off now I’m back on again. Told my doc I had to get off slowly. She told me then to take half. I told her I need to go slower. She was ok with the compounding pharmacy. Then another doctor took over and now she wants me off the med because I said I want to get off.  She will be doing another evaluation and said if I’m not bipolar she will take me off the med. I only have 30 day supply in pill form left. How can I taper?  I’m at 20 mg now for 3 weeks. I was on the Seroquel for 4 months. Please tell me how I can taper? 

Buspirone 5 mg August 10/20 stoped Aug 30/20 Xanax .2Aug10/20 stoped Sept 10/20 Quitiapine sept 10/20 25mg Sept 10/20 50mg Sept 30/20 75 mg Oct 2/20 50 mg Nov 1/20 25 mg Nov 24/20 stopped 50mg Nov 30 reinstated

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

25 mg Dec 20/20 reinstated

20mg Jan 13/21 taper 18.75 Feb 4/21

I tried to go on the page where it says how to make a liquid solution of Seroquel (Quetiapine) but there isn’t anything about making the solution on that page.  I have 25 mg of Seroquel.  I went down by 20% I didn’t know. I got it at a compounding pharmacy but can’t afford to keep doing it.  My doctor wanted me to do half of the pill I told her there are withdrawals and she said no. What would be a good way to make it myself?  
also has anyone ever had a ponding and humming sensation in their head for it or any other med? this has been happening since Sept. 

Buspirone 5 mg August 10/20 stoped Aug 30/20 Xanax .2Aug10/20 stoped Sept 10/20 Quitiapine sept 10/20 25mg Sept 10/20 50mg Sept 30/20 75 mg Oct 2/20 50 mg Nov 1/20 25 mg Nov 24/20 stopped 50mg Nov 30 reinstated

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• manymoretodays changed the title to Valj: Tapering off Seroquel
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Valj.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Are you on immediate-release or an extended release Seroquel? 

Please see: 

Tips for tapering off quetiapine (Seroquel)

Please read through the post linked above and go down to this section: 

On 9/27/2012 at 9:19 PM, Altostrata said:

Make your own liquid
Immediate-release Seroquel is moderately soluble in water http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01224

We recommend going no faster than 10% per month, based on the prior month's dose, not the original dose. See:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information about your history, we can better help you set up a taper. 

Thank you for your response. I’m on regular Seroquel. I looked at that site the drug bank and do not see tapering instructions to make liquid. Also I only have a 30 day supply as my doctor said just get off of 25 mg it’s a low dose. So I can not taper as slow as I would like.   I was on a compound liquid but doctor did another evaluation and did I don’t have the diagnosis I was put on that for so she took me off. Luckily I have a bottle of 30 25 mg left Please advise  how can I go a little slower instead of just stopping?   Thank you

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Valj said:

I looked at that site the drug bank and do not see tapering instructions to make liquid.

This may help explain:

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Or you may want to use a scale:

Using a digital scale to measure doses

Valj, after you have a read of the liquid and scale methods and make your decision of how to proceed, please note the moderators can help you with the math involved. 

21 hours ago, Valj said:

Also I only have a 30 day supply as my doctor said just get off of 25 mg it’s a low dose. So I can not taper as slow as I would like.  

You may want to see if there's a better doctor in your area. Here is the link from SA:

Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

The Mad in America site also has a list of recommend doctors versed in tapering. This is the list for New York:

MiA Provider Directory for New York

Edited by Shep
added additional information

I looked up the doctors in NY  they either don’t take my insurance or aren’t taking new patients. I only have a 30 or so day supply of 25 mg tablets. I’ve taken Seroquel for 4 months.  The last month was the 20’mg. I started cutting them yesterday as I didn’t have a choice.  I had cut them in quarters. I know this isn’t the best way. However, I don’t have a scale and since it was so last minute that the doc took away my refills i had no choice. I know the cuts aren’t even. I know according to this site that taper no more than 10% is advisable. I really wanted to do this the right way and cutting them myself is giving me tremendous anxiety which isn’t helping my situation.  I wish I could’ve  just not gotten on this. I knew I want bipolar but I took it because everyone said I needed meds.
 If I only have 30 pills how can I taper off? 

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

Also did I mention that I went from tablet to a compounding liquid that I thought the doctor would keep me on. I was on it for 3 weeks. To find out she is stopping my meds.  I have a 30 day supply. Is changing from pill to liquid back to pill going to harm me?  
I know cutting them isn’t a precise dose and I’m scared that I’m not cutting them properly and in turn causing more harm then good.  If I can’t get this right. Should I just stop taking it all together. As I might mess up my system by not cutting them correctly. think I might have damaged my  CNS already because of all the medicine she put me on from sept - Nov.

Also I forgot to mention they had me on Xanax in sept for a month at .25. But they said it was a low dose so I couldn’t be going through withdrawals. 

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Administrator

The drugbank link was about solubility.

This link explains how to make a liquid Tips for tapering off quetiapine (Seroquel)

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs. Usually they're only too happy to continue a prescription. Why will your doctors not renew your subscription.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My old psychiatrist left and the new one did a new assessment and she said I don’t have the diagnosis that it was prescribed for so I can’t be on it. I told her I want to at least cut my pills she said it’s the lowest dose. Not even therapeutic and it not doing anything anyway. Right now I’m cutting the pills because I don’t have enough to do a slow taper. 

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Valj said:

Is changing from pill to liquid back to pill going to harm me?

We generally suggest a gradual transfer from one method to the other, such as transferring 25% liquid and 75% pill to 50% liquid and 50% pill and so forth over a number of days. This allows your nervous system to adjust. However, it doesn't sound like you have a lot of time for this. And you may not have any problems with it. 

19 hours ago, Valj said:

Also I forgot to mention they had me on Xanax in sept for a month at .25. But they said it was a low dose so I couldn’t be going through withdrawals. 

Sadly, most doctors are very ignorant about these drugs. This is from the FDA:

FDA requiring Boxed Warning updated to improve safe use of benzodiazepine drug class

You likely are dealing with benzo withdrawal. You were on it long enough to become dependent. 

Ideally, you would want to wait to taper the Seroquel. Unfortunately, if you can't find a doctor to continue prescribing, that may not be an option for you. 

4 hours ago, Valj said:

My old psychiatrist left and the new one did a new assessment and she said I don’t have the diagnosis that it was prescribed for so I can’t be on it.

Do you have a GP? Like Alto wrote, any doctor can prescribe these drugs. All you need to do is say you were prescribed it for sleep due to pandemic stress and it was helping you and you'd like a refill for 25 mg a day. It really doesn't matter why you were prescribed it. Take advantage of the world situation to get what you need. 

About 85% of psychiatric drugs are prescribed by GPs and other doctors outside of psychiatry. 

I wouldn't mention anything about diagnosis. Right now the medical community is overwhelmed. Having a patient come in and request a small dose of Seroquel for sleep during the pandemic likely wouldn't raise any alarms. 

Thank you for your response.  My GP thinks it’s a “Baby dose” and no withdrawal. Said 25 mg is the lowest dose.   I have a little more tablets now somehow I got a delivery of another bottle....but do I keep cutting in quarters.  Should I buy a scale?  This gives me so much anxiety trying to get off of it by myself.  My family keeps telling me to just stop taking it if your doctor says it’s a low dose.
How long would a person go through withdrawals from Xanax even at that low dose for 1 month in September?  It is now February.  How can someone help the withdrawals be less?  I’ve had this head buzzing since Sept do it could be the withdrawals from Xanax?   I know my CNS is definitely going haywire. What can I do to get it to calm down? Thank you for your response.  

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/6/2021 at 10:26 AM, Valj said:

My GP thinks it’s a “Baby dose” and no withdrawal. Said 25 mg is the lowest dose.  

Perhaps instead of messaging you want off this drug, simply state that the 25 mg is working great and you're feeling really good. The purpose of the doctor visit is to get the drug. You don't need to let the doctor know you're tapering. 

Should I buy a scale?

If you're able to get a steady prescription for this drug, you may want to go ahead and get a scale. It will make tapering easier. 

How long would a person go through withdrawals from Xanax even at that low dose for 1 month in September?  It is now February.

Unfortunately, it doesn't take very long to become dependent on Xanax and the withdrawal can last a long time. 

If you're able to get an ongoing prescription for Seroquel, you could hold that drug at your current dose and give your nervous system time to rest before continuing the tapering journey. 

How can someone help the withdrawals be less?

You may find some helpful information to handle your symptoms here: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

It’s too late.  She gave me an evaluation and said I don’t have the diagnosis I was put on the Seroquel for. I’m not getting a refill. How these doctors can do this.  I saw the New FDA regulations for Xanax. My doctor didn’t even taper me off that.  Even at the low dose so I’m guessing I’m trying to recuperate from that too. However, I  don’t know as she did try me on different meds but just  seem here and there.    I did forget to mention I’m

taking omega 3 and magnesium Glycinate.   I don’t even know if I have enough pills to get the scale and measure.  So I might be throwing money away. 
 Do you think the buzzing and humming and pulsating in my head is from withdrawal from Xanax. I told her about that but she keeps saying no.  This happened around the same time that I stoped the Xanax. 
Yes I do need my central nervous system to heal but I know I can’t taper for a year or months. 

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Moderator Emeritus

If worse comes to worse, Valj, you could transfer over from Seroquel to Benadryl. We don't usually recommend this, but you're between a rock and a hard place. 

At the low dose of 25 mg, Seroquel is affecting histamine, not dopamine as it does in the higher doses (over 150 mg). That's why doctors prescribe low-dose Seroquel as a sleep aid and higher doses for more serious types of so-called "mental illness." 

This article was written by a psychiatrist who knows his stuff, but is a bit twisted in his humor about it: 

The Most Important Article On Psychiatry You Will Ever Read

A couple of important excerpts from that article: 

A typical understanding of this pie chart is that the various sizes represent “amounts” of blockade.  So, here, Seroquel is very antihistaminergic—so it causes a lot of sedation.  It is moderately an alpha1 blocker—which is what causes orthostasis (lightheadedness/dizziness/grogginess).  And much less of a D2 blocker, which is what actually provides the antipsychotic effect.  You can also see that Seroquel’s H1 section is bigger than Zyprexa’s, which explains why Seroquel is more sedating than Zyprexa.  . . . .

. . . . Here’s the thing: if one molecule of Seroquel goes to H1, and not to D2, then can it have any antipsychotic effect? No.  One molecule binds to H1, so it isn't an antipsychotic, it's an antihistamine.

You may want to taper off the Seroquel until you reach a certain point and then crossover to Benadryl. 

Again, it's not ideal, but it may help mitigate some of the withdrawal symptoms and provide a cushion from a too-fast Seroquel taper. 

Thank you for responding. If it’s not an antipsychotic at 25 mg or less why is it so difficult to come off of it?  It literally had me pacing the floor and I couldn’t relax I was so restless. It is weird though... I was never able to sleep more then 6 hours on this med.  I used to sleep more without it.  I just want my life back. I used to be a happy person that didn’t mind being by herself.   I was so confident in everything I did. Now I second guess myself on everything. All day long I keep saying to myself that I wish I never got on this medication.  If I were to get withdrawals.... I know I get the muscle twitching sometimes and tingly feeling on my face and back of my neck. Is that  withdrawal? Doctor did it’s my anxiety.   No one knows how long it will last from this med either?  Either way people get withdrawals from this med no matter how they taper.  It’s weird I was never tired during the day snd now that I lowered it im falling asleep while writing this. I don’t want to sleep now as it is 6:14 in the evening. Maybe tomorrow I can nap. I haven’t had a nap since I started this medication.  I don’t know why I’m tired now. 

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

I bought the Gemini scale I should have it by next Saturday. I would like help figuring it all out as I have no clue how to use one or figure out the math. Thank you for all of your help.

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, Valj said:

If it’s not an antipsychotic at 25 mg or less why is it so difficult to come off of it?

Even though it's not an antipsychotic, it still can cause dependency. Many drugs cause dependency. The body adapts to it and stopping it suddenly causes a domino effect of many of systems in the brain / body. We're a highly adaptive species. This is good in some ways. But with these drugs, it means we have to take special care not to harm ourselves with sudden withdrawals that send the brain / body into chaos. 

12 hours ago, Valj said:

I just want my life back. I used to be a happy person that didn’t mind being by herself.   I was so confident in everything I did. Now I second guess myself on everything. All day long I keep saying to myself that I wish I never got on this medication.

Some of this may be from withdrawal. Please see:

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

Rebuilding self-confidence, accepting anxiety

This is an excellent thread for explaining how not to let these kinds of thoughts pull you into a negative spiral: 

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

This was written by a benzodiazepine survivor, but it really applies to any type of psychiatric drug withdrawal:

Benzo Lies That Have Been Busted

12 hours ago, Valj said:

It’s weird I was never tired during the day snd now that I lowered it im falling asleep while writing this. I don’t want to sleep now as it is 6:14 in the evening. Maybe tomorrow I can nap. I haven’t had a nap since I started this medication.  I don’t know why I’m tired now. 

You may want to work on a consistent sleep hygiene. Please see:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Some people find napping to be problematic in the long run. Other people find it helpful and wish to take sleep whenever it comes. It's highly individual, but as much as possible, if you can have a strict routine, it may be helpful, especially if you're trying to keep certain working hours. 

6 hours ago, Valj said:

I bought the Gemini scale I should have it by next Saturday. I would like help figuring it all out as I have no clue how to use one or figure out the math. Thank you for all of your help.

Sure, we can help you figure it out. Please see:

Using a digital scale to measure doses

Feel free to post any questions in that thread. This post in that thread provides even more detailed information:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses-weighing/?tab=comments#comment-13379

And here's a video that shows how to re-calibrate a Gemini scale, starting at around 3:30 minutes:

Smart Weigh GEM20 Digital Jewelry Scale Review

Once you get your scale, you may want to use that video to help you set it up for use. 

After you do a few doses on the scale, you'll be a pro in no time. 

Thank you for this information. I took my meds last night. I’m thinking maybe the 1/3 wish is approximately 18.75 mg. I couldn’t sleep last night.  I usually lay down right after I take it but I did stay up just a little.  My head is buzzing even more and I don’t know why. Maybe the pills were not cut correctly and I had a little more meds last night than the night before?   I have to try to calm my head this is the only thing that is bothering me.  Like my whole body is shaking.  This doesn’t make sense. The whole time last week I cut them and it was fine. What’s bad is I’m not getting my scale until Friday. So cutting them is the only way snd now I might not be cutting it correctly. 

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Moderator Emeritus

You may be in a wave and that's why you're now getting internal vibrations (that buzzing feeling). But yes, getting a scale will help with more exact measurements. 

Are you currently taking any supplements? We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Fish oil and magnesium can be helpful for calming and easing the internal vibrations. You could even try an epsom salt bath in the evenings, as epsom salts contain magnesium. Try a small amount to make sure you don't have any sensitivities. 

Also, a calming guided meditation video can help ease you into sleep. Here's an example, but there are thousands out there on YouTube:

Guided Meditation Deep sleep | anxiety and insomnia relief | relaxation before bedtime video (21 minutes)

I can’t get the pills to accurately weigh on the scale. Can I go back to a liquid. I can’t do this measuring 

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, many people find that the liquid works well for tapering. 

Or you could post what you're seeing on your scale when you put your pill on it and I or another moderator can help you from there. The Gemini scale doesn't measure in mg (milligrams). The closest unit is going to be in g (grams). Make sure it's the "g" and not the "gn" (which is grains). 

First, use the video to calibrate the scale. You may want to watch the entire video to get a better feel for how to use it. The calibration starts at around 3:30 minutes into the video. 

Smart Weigh GEM20 Digital Jewelry Scale Review

Would it be bad if I changed back to the liquid form?  I went from pill to a compound pharmacy for 3 weeks. Then back to the pill because is tough cutting it would be better but it’s giving me problems. Is it bad if I go back to liquid?  The back and forth might be bad for my body?  How would I do a liquid?  25 mg pill and 25 ml of water?  Or someone said since I only have 30 maybe 60 pills I could do 30 ml of water with the 25 mg pill and since I’m already at let’s say 18 mg. I take out 2 ml every 2 weeks? 
I just want to get on a set way of doing my taper and stay on it.  I didn’t know cutting them would be such a problem. I’m trying to show the video but it won’t let me upload it   The weight of the pill goes from 66-65/67

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Administrator

Yes, you can go back to the liquid form.

If you're having withdrawal symptoms at 18.75mg, you might want to stay at 25mg for a while. Any doctor can prescribe these drugs, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist. Surely there's a GP who will help you taper off by continuing your prescription or prescribing a compounded liquid?

If I were you, I'd write letters to each of those doctors who wouldn't help you taper and denied your reports of withdrawal symptoms expressing your dissatisfaction with their quality of care.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Can I go back to a liquid and make my own 25mg to 25 ml of water? Even though I had pills first then I went to liquid for three weeks and then I went back to the pills I’m just finding that measuring these pills is too much for me. Word going back-and-forth from pill to liquid to peel back to liquid hurt body

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

I can’t go back to 25 as I already tried 2x and doing so might hurt just as much. I have a 30 maybe 60 day supply. I already asked my GP and psych to please prescribe so I don’t get withdrawals and they are constantly saying there aren’t any. I can’t get them to budge. It’s hard dining a new psych as there aren’t any soon available.  

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

I read somewhere on here that it isn’t good to go back and forth from pill to liquid that’s why I wanted to know.  Is 25 mg and 25 ml of water good. Then I will take out 7 ml and drink the rest.

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Administrator

How are you feeling on 18.75mg?

It's best to make as few changes as possible, but if you cannot use the scale, the liquid will have to do.

Should I just try to use the scale then?  I don’t want to disrupt my body even more. I was told the liquid is stronger.  I’m feeling ok.  I have been having the head buzzing and vibrating for a while along with hearing my heart beat in my head. That bothers me more than anything.  I think they might have been from the Xanax. Maybe it’s just stress as thinking about this is so frustrating.  I just want to stop it altogether. I’m not sleeping too good. I just wish I ever got in this med.   I’m really torn between the pill and the liquid. I don’t know why the scale is presenting so many problems for me.  As I said I only have 30-60 pills.  No one believes me about h to r withdrawals and that’s upsetting me too.  I wish I had someone that could actually be here with me to help.  

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

No..  now today I woke up with more heart palpitations and nervous. I usually wake up like this but today it is worse. 
can I just do the liquid?  I have 60 pills.  Can I do Seroquel 25mg and 25 mg of water?  Or how would I do the liquid. I just want to start feeling better. 
someone said 60 ml ow water for my 25 mg pill. I don’t have a big enough container.  Please tell me the best way to taper. Thank you. 

25 mg Dec 10/20 stopped

• Administrator

You could cut your tablets into quarters and take 3 of the quarters per day, for 18.75mg. This probably is the best way to stretch your current supply of tablets.

Or, you can use the liquid. Please try to keep the amount of your dose as consistent as possible.

You could order a 100mL graduated cylinder from Ebay to measure water to put in a jar, put 2 25mg tablets in the 100mL, allow them to dissolve, stir gently to distribute the drug, and take 18.75mg per day.

Still find it incredible you cannot find a doctor to extend your Seroquel prescription. Ordinarily, they love to prescribe the stuff. Perhaps you might not discuss your intention to taper, but that you intend to continue to take the drug for therapeutic benefit?