Nikkiz: Tapering Mirtazapine

Nikkiz

Hello All,

I am currently tapering from mirtazapine. I’m was doing 10% a month, but last month I dropped 14%. I’m on 6mg and I’ve been holding here for the last 6 weeks because the insomnia is still lingering. Should I continue to hold until this insomnia eases and go back to 10% drops? Also, those of you who managed to get off mirtazapine, did you find it easier to lose weight once off? I’ve gained 40 pounds and my metabolism has definitely been slowed down by this medication. Thanks!

• manymoretodays changed the title to Nikkiz: Tapering Mirtazapine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Nikkiz.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here are some links to get you started. 

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

On 2/1/2021 at 4:14 PM, Nikkiz said:

I’m was doing 10% a month, but last month I dropped 14%. I’m on 6mg and I’ve been holding here for the last 6 weeks because the insomnia is still lingering.

We recommend going no faster than 10% a month, so you may want to do a small updose to see if that helps, if the symptoms are really severe.

For tips for sleep, please see:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

On 2/1/2021 at 4:14 PM, Nikkiz said:

Also, those of you who managed to get off mirtazapine, did you find it easier to lose weight once off? I’ve gained 40 pounds and my metabolism has definitely been slowed down by this medication.

Yes, many people find that once they're off the offending drug, weight dose come off. There are a number of psychiatric drugs that cause this problem, so it's not uncommon. 

Weight gain, weight loss, appetite changes, hunger

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you continue to provide more information, we can better help you with your taper.