Fer787878: Looking to taper off.... Li and Mirtazipine..

Fer787878

Hi there- been on Lithium 800 mg and Mirtazipine 15mg.

absolutely hideous side effects - I'm not sure from which- are forcing me - with my doc's approval - to withdraw these drugs and possibly look at alternatives. Would love to hear some of your members' feedback on this.

Edited by manymoretodays

I'm not looking for medical advice - just personal advice from real people!

I'm on 800mg Lithium and 15 mg Mirtazipine. 

WOULD LOVE ADVICE FROM SOME OF YOU WHO HAVE TAPERED OFF THESE. 

I suppose im only partly interested in know how to taper "mathematically", instead I'm interested in finding out how the taper was for 

you , how long did it take and what short term effects to look out for?

I'm unipolar so it is a long story to explain why I was put on Lithium 6 months ago but I was..

Anyway, struggling horribly with side effects ever since.

- waking up groggy, nausea and diarrhea.

- emotions blank.

-libido zero

- dull pain in side upon waking, before urination

- general feeling of lethargy, heavy sluggishness, and lack of interest (not related to depression, which lifted many months ago)

NOW - Im due to see my psych and I need a plan of attack. I have made someone in my team aware of my side-effect issues , so I know 

he may suggest alternatives. 

I's hard to know which is the offending drug in terms of side effects for me. Is it the Mirtazipine (Remeron?)

or is it the Lithium?

do i try tapering one before the other . if so, which one?

The one positive is that I am sleeping well - that might be down to the Remeron, BUT it does leave me comatose and I do not experience restful sleep. 

I actually missed a dose of Lithium once, and I must say , I briefly felt very different, very well and much less sluggish. 

I guess I'm anxious about rebound insomnia . insomnia was a problem for me before I got sick, but generally was not chronic. 

Would just love some advice - has anyone tapered these.

Where I am anyway (Ireland ) I dont know how precisely a psych will taper - I can only presume it will be a lazy 20% as that suits 

the prescription and makes it easier for the pharmacist to dispense.

But I suppose, I could how to do it myself. I would prefer a long, slow taper - for obvious reasons.

Do you think it is possible?

Will rebound insomnia occur?

I'm hoping that , as I am on these meds for 6 months, it might not be an impossible task.

Edited by manymoretodays
name to title, moved from tapering to Intros

I'm new to this site and am looking to get some friendly (not medical ) advice.

I am on 800 mg Lithium and 15 mg Mirtazipine. 

I was given Lithium as a "last resort" a few months back - I'm unipolar but experienced a full recovery -

despite having a deep depression with psychosis. 

Its been hinted at by my psych that I move to another drug(s)

Would just love to know if someone out there has successfully tapered these drugs , or at least one of them?

However, my side effects are horrible.

- diarrhea

- extreme nausea worse in the mornings , grogginess, lack of appetite

- emotions blank - don't feel joy anymore - feel dead in terms of emotions(not depressed)

- total loss of drive / motivation. and libido

I LONG FOR natural sleep (and not some kind of sickly, comatose- like stupor) which I currently experience.

I LONG for my usual, passionate and music - loving personality to return. whether it is the Remeron , or the Lithium, I don't know which.

I LONG for feelings of attraction , sexual drive and wanting to feel close to the people I love. 

Has anyone done this?

any nasty withdrawals? I expect sleep to be affected in the case of any taper of Remeron, possibly Lithium also. 

Which should I taper first? 

Obviously, I will only follow medical advice but I really would appreciate the advice of real people on here!

• manymoretodays changed the title to Fer787878: Lithium and Mirtazipine
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Fer787878: Looking to taper off.... Li and Mirtazipine..

Am currently on 15mg Mirtazipine and 800 Lithium.

Hoping to taper at least 1 . 

Possibly Lithium first as it is not effective for me and I'm unipolar. Has anyone tapered this succèssfully? Did you notice anything?

Regarding Mirtazipine, was it OK to taper?

Ps I am consulting doctor in 1 week but just require some advice/ insights on here.

Overall, I'm experiencing terrible side effects with these meds- and to the life of me I can't tell which is the problem! Could well be both!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, Fer787878 said:

I was given Lithium as a "last resort" a few months back - I'm unipolar but experienced a full recovery -

despite having a deep depression with psychosis. 

Its been hinted at by my psych that I move to another drug(s)

Hi, Fer.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Please let us know if you're here to taper off your drugs or if you are looking to go on other drugs. Please note we are a site for coming off these drugs. Since we're not medical experts, we're not qualified to help you transition over to another drug cocktail. We also don't subscribe to the medical model of depression (or any other psychiatric diag-nonsense). Please see:

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

To answer your question - "if someone out there has successfully tapered these drugs" - please see:

Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of adverse reactions and or side effects of your current drug cocktail. You may want to read Robert Whitaker's book:

Anatomy of an Epidemic

Scroll down and you'll find source documents linked, along with a few videos. Whitaker's work comes highly recommended here.

But again, please let us know if you'd like to taper off your current drug cocktail without going on another. We'd gladly help you with that. 

10 minutes ago, Shep said:

Hi, Fer.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Please let us know if you're here to taper off your drugs or if you are looking to go on other drugs. Please note we are a site for coming off these drugs. Since we're not medical experts, we're not qualified to help you transition over to another drug cocktail. We also don't subscribe to the medical model of depression (or any other psychiatric diag-nonsense). Please see:

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

To answer your question - "if someone out there has successfully tapered these drugs" - please see:

Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of adverse reactions and or side effects of your current drug cocktail. You may want to read Robert Whitaker's book:

Anatomy of an Epidemic

Scroll down and you'll find source documents linked, along with a few videos. Whitaker's work comes highly recommended here.

But again, please let us know if you'd like to taper off your current drug cocktail without going on another. We'd gladly help you with that. 

Oh, 100% clear that i want off the drugs.

I wasn't sure how to pitch it on here as Ive been on so many sites asking for advice and they always reply - GO TALK TO YOUR PSYCH - NO MEDICAL ADVICE GIVEN HERE!! lol. Yes my doc has mentioned a replacment - but I have no intention of being railroaded back into the abyss 

of being medicated for the sake of being medicated. 

I know and have experienced FIRST HAND how we can be forced into taking a whole range of drugs without a. us needing them b. without having any positive effects of there drugs. and having to deal with dependency , etc, etc.

So please , if your site can help me...please allow me to receive its advice, I would be eternally grateful.

• Moderator Emeritus

Excellent, Fer. I just wanted to be sure we're giving you the advice you're seeking. I think you'll really enjoy the information on this site, as no one will ever tell you to do what a doctor says without doing your own research and making sure it's what YOU really want to do. 

19 hours ago, Fer787878 said:

Am currently on 15mg Mirtazipine and 800 Lithium.

Hoping to taper at least 1 . 

Please let us know the time(s) of day you're taking each of these drugs. 

Please note there is a moderate drug interaction with these drugs:

Drug Interaction Report - Lithium and mirtazapine

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can help you set up a plan for coming off these drugs. 

When you're setting up your signature, please also write the type of lithium you are taking, such as if it's immediate release or extended, etc. 

Hi all. 

Need advice please on the best way to taper Mirtazipine/ Remeron.

I'm on 15 and have time.

One piece of advice that I've got is that it's better to jump ship at 15 itself as at lower doses it is more sedating. 

But that's only one opinion. I'd love to hear from someone who has done it. I would much prefer the slow and gradual process! 

Hi I'm looking for help here. 

I had a major depression 9 months ago and am recovered 6 months.

During hospital, I was given a range of Benzos and Ambien as well.

Recovered and did not really follow a taper plan as was given one ! 

Meds on discharge were Lithium 1000 and Mirtazipine 30

Now, 6 months later- I am well but still anxious about sleep. Even though something is knocking me out. 

Have not touched a benzo or sleeping pills in 6 months.

Has anyone tapered these two drugs?

When I do taper, will it be easier now that I have had no benzos or sleep aids in recent months?

Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/6/2021 at 5:37 AM, Fer787878 said:

Thanks ! I'm hoping to get advice from real people. In the same boat or have gotten out of the boat already!

On 2/7/2021 at 3:00 AM, Fer787878 said:

Hi all. 

Need advice please on the best way to taper Mirtazipine/ Remeron.

I'm on 15 and have time.

One piece of advice that I've got is that it's better to jump ship at 15 itself as at lower doses it is more sedating. 

But that's only one opinion. I'd love to hear from someone who has done it. I would much prefer the slow and gradual process! 

Hi Fer,

And welcome aboard.

I've merged some of your questions in other forums, on site, on back here to your Introduction. 

This can be real helpful, to see what you have asked, and what has been responded to, and then to keep the bulk of your information, story, updates in one place.

And yes, you will get advice from real people here, and also find some of the more recent developments here too, in regards to tapering off psych meds and then WD(withdrawal) symptoms, and the possibility of WDsyndrome as well.

So, I see that Shep got you started, and had some questions, and also asked if you would do an interactions check. 

Have you been able to attend to that, and then, please post a link to that, or copy and paste the results here, right here in a reply on your Introduction page.

It does really pay off to prepare and become informed about these things, before tapering.  So you are doing great.

Another helpful piece of information for us all, members, moderators, administrators is:

Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

And what an odd combination, are you just on Mirtazapine, and Lithium at present?  Or it seems odd to me.

And then a bit more general information for you today:

*Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

and then this applies for most all drugs that we deal with here, and is a harm reduction method, of coming off medication.  Each 10% is based on the previous dose, rather than the starting dose.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

And okay, some of that may be more than you want to know at this point in planning ahead.
Are you doing okay right now?  Any previous WD, or present WD symptoms?

Welcome Fer7878.  And best.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,
manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing