MacMan2020 Could i be suffering withdrawals after only taking 11 pills and stopping cold turkey( developed constant headache)

MacMan2020

I took Venlaflaxine(4 pills 37.5mg) and about a week and a half later took Amitriptyline(11 pills 25mg). I took them for insomnia and a twitch i had developed but the twitch and sleep is back to normal. While taking the Amitriptyline i developed this headache which can only be described as like a blood rushing pain but now it feels like a pressure/burning and it changed intensities all the time i can also describe it like my brain is on fire. The pressure and burning alternate and its always in the front of my head. My main question is could this be withdrawals even tho i only took pills for a little over a week(stopped cold turkey since) or could this be a adverse effect of the Amitriptyline or could this be completely unrelated. 

Hi, Im not to sure but i believe i had an adverse reaction to Amitriptyline and have had a fluctuating headache the varies from burning scalp pain to pain behind the eyes. Its pretty much constant but i do have some bouts of relief during the nights. I only took 11 pills of 25mg AMI and prior to that about 2 weeks before i started taking the AMI i took 4 pills of Venlaflaxine. This all started with sleep issues after visiting a chiropractor and so i asked my GP for some medication and he gave me Ambian then i developed a twitch which was prob a side effect of the amiban because it stopped but i was nervous so i went to a neuro and she gave me the Venlaflaxine and a muscle relaxer called Tizanidine. Around Jan i also saw a Orthopedist who gave me a steroid pack for a pinched nerve and i was taking this with the AMI and one night i couldnt sleep and i also took an Ambian and im not sure but the headache started around this time. Well its been a month and a half but the headache hasnt improved much. 

• Altostrata changed the title to MacMan2020 Could i be suffering withdrawals after only taking 11 pills and stopping cold turkey( developed constant headache)
  • Administrator

Welcome, @MacMan2020

Why did you switch from venlafaxine to amitriptyline? How long did you take amitriptyline? When did the headache start?

Did you discuss these symptoms with your doctor?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata i took the Venlaflaxine from the nov 25 to the nov 28 and then i started the amitryptline on dec 5 till about the 15th

i dont think i have any other symptoms other than the headache.

Hi, Im not to sure but i believe i had an adverse reaction to Amitriptyline and have had a fluctuating headache the varies from burning scalp pain to pain behind the eyes. Its pretty much constant but i do have some bouts of relief during the nights. I only took 11 pills of 25mg AMI and prior to that about 2 weeks before i started taking the AMI i took 4 pills of Venlaflaxine. This all started with sleep issues after visiting a chiropractor and so i asked my GP for some medication and he gave me Ambian then i developed a twitch which was prob a side effect of the amiban because it stopped but i was nervous so i went to a neuro and she gave me the Venlaflaxine and a muscle relaxer called Tizanidine. Around Jan i also saw a Orthopedist who gave me a steroid pack for a pinched nerve and i was taking this with the AMI and one night i couldnt sleep and i also took an Ambian and im not sure but the headache started around this time. Well its been a month and a half but the headache hasnt improved much. 

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Did you discuss these symptoms with your doctor?

And you still have a headache?  2 months later?

It sounds more like an adverse effect, as it came on while you were taking the drug.

I'd be wary of any more pills that the doctor offers though.  I mean I would.

Are you on other medications?

Thanks MacMan2020, it can be hard to know for sure.

And welcome.

Best.  L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Why did you switch from venlafaxine to amitriptyline?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@manymoretodaysif this is an adverse effect how long does it take adverse effects to go away or are they permanent?

@Altostrata VEN: nov 24-28  AMI:DEC 5-15th 

• Administrator
On 2/15/2021 at 11:05 PM, Altostrata said:

Why did you switch from venlafaxine to amitriptyline?

On 2/15/2021 at 11:05 PM, Altostrata said:

When did the headache start?

Please answer questions from the staff as completely as you can so we don't have to spend the time asking them again. Thank you.

@Altostrata I took Venlflaxine from November 24 2020 to November 28 2020 then i was prescribed mythelpredisolone 1 week pack which i took from the Dec 4 2020 to Dec 11 2020 at the same time i was taking Amitriptyline from Dec 5 2020 to Dec 15 2020. One night i took Amitriptyline and Ambien together and i think the headaches started after this day but im not fully sure. 

The headaches started around the Dec 7-8 2020 not sure the exact date. 

• Administrator

This sounds like an adverse reaction to amitriptyline or maybe the combination with Ambien.

We have some people here who had fairly immediate adverse reactions to antidepressants. After they quit the drugs, they have protracted symptoms that are very much like withdrawal syndrome, but probably more of the adverse reaction. This should slowly go away over some months.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

@AltostrataOK that gives me some sort of relief but ive also heard Adverse effect can be permanent is this true or will i hopefully return to norma. Also another thing sometimes randomly at night the head pain almost vanishes but then return the following morning. Im just worried this adverse reaction is permanent. also is there any topic related to adverse reactions that would be nice. Also i did not experience any other side effects like anxiety, panic attacks, anhedonia, or much else for that matter would an adverse reactoin cause me to get other symptoms or is it possible to only have on symptom a headache. 

I dont think i have withdrawal symptoms but i developed a headache from Amitriptyline after around 5-6 pills and took 11 in total. My headache is best described as a burning pain on top of my head. I think i had an adverse reaction to the pills. If anyone has any experience to adverse reactions i would appreciate any info that helps. Also if there is a link to Adverse reaction topic that would also help.

If you plug in Adverse Reactions into the search at the top of the page many comment come up. 

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Effexor150  1998-November 2018 

Bupoprion150 2002-November 2018

Fluoxetine approximately 1/4 mg trial for WD symptoms December 2020. Took for 3 days but  it seemed to compound the dizziness significantly so I had to discontinue the trial. 

Current Medications: Levothyroxine, Acyclovir 

• Administrator

A headache may be your only symptom of this adverse reaction.

Is there anything you're ingesting in the evening that could cause this? Alcohol? Sugar?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

@Altostrata Well i was also taking a steroid pack at the time of the headache starting. It was either the amitriptyline or the steroid pack that started the headache and now its unrelenting. As for anything i was eating i cant think of anything that i wouldn't normally eat. Deff no alcohol possibly some sugar in some coffee i had but i dont specifically remember. 

• Administrator

Well, you had an adverse drug reaction to a drug or combination of drugs.

Caffeine can trigger headaches. You may wish to taper the coffee by gradually substituting decaf.

You may find the magnesium taken in small doses throughout the day helps the headache. It's possible fish oil can help, too.

Yes you are spot on i thought caffeine helps my headache because after i drink Dr pepper it usually goes down, so i ordered caffeine pills which i took last week and today. Both times my headache got worse but i took magnesium which lowered the headache to a specific point on my head which kind of feels like someone holding a quarter on the top of my head. 

BTW i have magnesium Bisglycinate is that ok because it seems to be working or do i need another form on magnesium?

• Administrator

Yes, that kind of magnesium is fine.

Looks like caffeine is not the way you want to go.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey MacMan,

Yes, don't forget the signature.  Just click on the underlined link in Alto's post above to see what we need.

You can tell us in that if you are currently taking other drugs too.

And then why did you take these drugs in the first place?  I mean it's helpful to know.  The steroids.  The venlafaxine.  ??  The Ambien, perhaps for sleep.

It's all still a mystery. 

Maybe because you have a doctor who just prescribes something for everything?  I mean I don't know.

Thanks. B)

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi, Im not to sure but i believe i had an adverse reaction to Amitriptyline and have had a fluctuating headache the varies from burning scalp pain to pain behind the eyes. Its pretty much constant but i do have some bouts of relief during the nights. I only took 11 pills of 25mg AMI and prior to that about 2 weeks before i started taking the AMI i took 4 pills of Venlaflaxine. This all started with sleep issues after visiting a chiropractor and so i asked my GP for some medication and he gave me Ambian then i developed a twitch which was prob a side effect of the amiban because it stopped but i was nervous so i went to a neuro and she gave me the Venlaflaxine and a muscle relaxer called Tizanidine. Around Jan i also saw a Orthopedist who gave me a steroid pack for a pinched nerve and i was tiking this with the AMI and one night i couldnt sleep and i also took an Ambian and im not sure but the headache started around this time. Well its been a month and a half but the headache hasnt improved much.   

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from Read This First forum

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MacMan2020,

Here, I just copy over what we need to see in a signature right here, in your Introduction topic, and how to do it, from the post that tells you this.

I just moved your most recent post from there to here.

Putting a SHORT version of your recent history of reducing or discontinuing drugs in your signature helps people understand your context when they read your posts.

Your signature appears under all your posts.

Staff needs this information to answer your questions. In your signature, we need to see

- Exactly what you're taking now, with dosages and when you started each drug

- What you were taking before, with dosages and start and stop dates

As the signature is limited to 12 lines, we expect you will condense your drug history. The last few years usually will do.

FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June 2018) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

If you edit your signature, the new one replaces any prior signature. It will appear in your signature under all your posts, even your old posts. If you want to save the information in the old signature, copy it and save it in a file on your computer or in a post in your Introductions topic.

(As of 12/31/13: Signatures are limited to 12 lines of text.)

How to add or edit your signature

1. Click on this link to open the correct page in User Settings:
    Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"
    2017-June 12 update: link works on desktop, tablet and mobile phone versions

2. Enter your signature in the space provided.
  3. When you are done, Click on the big black Save button at the bottom.

This will save you repeating your story over and over again.  You'll see my signature below my posts, and other members signatures below their posts.  It's helpful to all of us here.  The other questions asked of you in this, your Introduction topic, can just be answered by using the reply button and box.

The signature is something different, that most do on, or shortly after registration here.

Thank you.

Edited by manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus

@MacMan2020I just edited a bit in my above post, and also didn't want you to get lost.

sorry i thought i was posting my signature but just posted here. i copied over what i wrote here and added my signature. Sorry for the confusion.

@manymoretodays I was taking the venalfaxine because my neruo said i was stressed but why would they give me an anti depressant for axniety when im not even depressed then some other neuro gave me amitriptyline for sleep again it was an anti-depressant which i should have never taken. The steroids i was taking for a pinched nerve in my shoulder. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, on the signature, look at the sample format - example in the post I gave you.

51 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

We really just need dates there, year, month, day,  and drugs by name, and dose, and when discontinued
....... to edit/update go to AccountsSettings/signature

And who knows, or I know......why do they give these drugs for anything and everything under the Sun and Moon??  I'm glad you got wise early to the pitfalls of modern medication- ing. 

Edited by manymoretodays

@Altostratais it possible to suffer reduction in sexual pleasure while master-bating even only taking a small dose for a 2 weeks, because i feel like my arousal isn't the same as it was before starting the pills. I can still orgasm and feel arousal towards women but the physical part doesn't seem the same. And if so how long does it take to recover or is it permanent.  

• Administrator

I doubt you'll find this to be permanent. I would focus on improving your overall health and well-being and let your body recover.

@Altostratais it possible to be suffering withdrawal even after just 11 pills, i was reading a post you made about tapering and it said anyone is at risk of withdrawals after 1 month of usage. 

• Administrator

You probably do not have antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, but an adverse reaction to the drugs. I explained here:

In your signature, please put the month and year you started and stopped each drug. Thanks.

@altostrata so long after stopping does sexual side effects go away and return to baseline. because its been a month and a half since i stopped and still nothing. God i wish i knew they causes sexual side effects i would have never taken the pills no matter what. 

• Administrator
On 2/17/2021 at 4:19 PM, Altostrata said:

We have some people here who had fairly immediate adverse reactions to antidepressants. After they quit the drugs, they have protracted symptoms that are very much like withdrawal syndrome, but probably more of the adverse reaction. This should slowly go away over some months.

When we say "slowly" and "some months", we mean "slowly" and "some months" -- more than a few months. Please try to stay calm and positive, take care of your general health to help your recovery along.

@Altostratacan SSNRIs cause PSSD or is it only SSRIs

• Administrator

Hello -- Rather than posting a question every day, please use site search or Google search to answer your own questions. Thanks.