Marta withdrawal nightmare

marta92

• Mentor

Oh, also order the empty gelatin capsules if you can or get them at the pharmacy, it will be easier to take the crushed pill powder in them.

Good night, don't worry if you can't sleep, just breathe.

I do this and lot and it helps SO MUCH:

Peace

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Just now, Yesyes123 said:

Oh, also order the empty gelatin capsules if you can or get them at the pharmacy, it will be easier to take the crushed pill powder in them.

Good night, don't worry if you can't sleep, just breathe.

I do this and lot and it helps SO MUCH:

Peace

Yes I ordered the gelatine capsules as well, should arrive tomorrow.

Frightened as hell.

(19 years old) More or less 2011 Citalopram 20 mg one year for depression following stress by death of my mother quit cold Turkey

2012 rmore or less relapse depression after CT, new psychiatrist put me on Citalopram 20 mg, Depakin 300 mg, Efexxor 75 mg

Don't remember between 2016-2017 tapered over a few months all the drugs with the assistance of my psychologist 

2018 relapse (or withdrawal?) depression started Cipralex 20 mg until july 2020 when I tapered during a period of about 4 months until November 2020

February 2021 (29 years old): feeling depressed, can't sleep, anxiety, paranoia, agoraphobia, hardly functional

Currently (since March 4 2021): Lithium Resilient 83mg extended release 2 capsules (forced to take it)

• Mentor
9 minutes ago, marta92 said:

Frightened as hell.

It's totally normal to be.

Try to lay down and tell yourself "It'll pass, it'll pass"

I know your case will be a lot easier than most around here.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

It's totally normal to be.

Try to lay down and tell yourself "It'll pass, it'll pass"

I know your case will be a lot easier than most around here.

Thank you for being supportive but I'm very negative at the moment and we can't really predict the future so we don't know the outcome of this process.

Thank you anyway 

(19 years old) More or less 2011 Citalopram 20 mg one year for depression following stress by death of my mother quit cold Turkey

2012 rmore or less relapse depression after CT, new psychiatrist put me on Citalopram 20 mg, Depakin 300 mg, Efexxor 75 mg

Don't remember between 2016-2017 tapered over a few months all the drugs with the assistance of my psychologist 

2018 relapse (or withdrawal?) depression started Cipralex 20 mg until july 2020 when I tapered during a period of about 4 months until November 2020

February 2021 (29 years old): feeling depressed, can't sleep, anxiety, paranoia, agoraphobia, hardly functional

Currently (since March 4 2021): Lithium Resilient 83mg extended release 2 capsules (forced to take it)

• Mentor

I know nothing I say will really help, but just wait until you reinstate and feel relief. Then you will be more optimistic. Either way,

Hang on. It will get better for sure. It is a game of patience, always.

I don't know if I can do it.

I can't see myself going through this for 4 or 5 years. 

I wanna die.

Still don't understand how I can get a 0.5 Cipralex from a tablet of 10 Cipralex...and super afraid about doing this reinstate.

I'm watching all over videos of people that after 5 years still haven't recovered.

• Mentor

You will not be one of those people.

Don't worry, I will explain to you how to get 0.5mg from the 10mg Cipralex. It's easy! 

You'll make it. Hang in there.

Please post here what you are feeling, and let us know when you have the scale + cipralex 10mg + empty gelatin capsules! 

THIS WILL PASS!!! IT PASSED FOR ME ALREADY!

Only 3 months for me and I am MUCH better. Hold on.

• Mentor

0.5mg reinstate is very safe. Very small quantity.

Hi Marta-- Yesyes123 is giving you some great information. 

Please don't panic. Even though things seem totally out of control ATM they will get better and we will talk you through all the calculations and how to work the scales. You are going  to be working with a very tiny amount of powder for your final dose so you will have to be careful in handling things.

Because you have a prescription for the 10mg tablets we will make the calculation using them. The first thing we need to know is the average weight of one tablet. When you get the scales weigh ten tablets, add the weights together and divide by 10. That will give the number we need.

Using a 10mg tablet makes the calculation to get the weight of 1mg easy.  I used have to use the term mg to define two different weights to avoid future confusion we will refer to the weight of the tablet or crushed powder as mgpw (Milligrams Pill Weight) and the strength of the dose as mgai (Milligrams Active Ingredient). This will help keep it straight what we are talking about. So the average pill weight and the dose weight will be XXmgpw while the strength of the dose we are aiming for is 1mgai.

The calculation for determining the weight of your new dose is; Average Pill Weight X 0.1 = Weight of new dose.

When you get the scales and have determined the Average Pill Weight please post it and we will help calculate the new dose weight and talk you through using the scales to measure it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

It's a lot easier to use a prescription liquid or make your own liquid and taper using an oral syringe than to do the weighing method.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

Ciao@marta92, I'm here from Italy! I'm so sorry you are going through all of this! 😔The good news is that you found the right place... All the informations in this site will help you to do more aware choices!

Please, don't despair and take care of you in the most loving way possible!

I'm here if you need,

un abbraccio grande!

July 2015: the 20mg citalopram for great stress begins

After two years I start tapering (slow but without medical advice) and I guess wrongly. First up to 10 mg, then 5 mg and 2 mg (liquid solution) and skips

January 2020 (I don't remember exactly the day): off citalopram (last dose 2mg).

June 2020: adrenal crash. The beginning of Hell on Earth

Current supplement:

- saffron pill (20 mg) + vit. E, omega 3 (EPA + DHA) 2g, magnesium bisglycinate 300 mg, iron , vitamin D3 (2500ui) +K7 (50 ui), vitamin C (1g) + quercitin (25 mg), theanine (as necessary).

Try meditating / mindfulness, walking every day, CBT/ACT, massage.

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" ("And so we went out to see the stars again")

(Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy , Inferno, XXXIV, 139)

@brassmonkey

Hi, the average weight of 10 tablets is 0.138.

What should I do now?

I have the empty capsules and cannot do the liquid formula as I need to hide the process from my family.

• Mentor

Hi @marta92,

Did you calibrate the scale and check with the weight that comes with it? I ask this because that's very important to do. 

I will follow up with the values next post

Hi @marta92,

Did you calibrate the scale and check with the weight that comes with it? I ask this because that's very important to do. 

I will follow up with the values next post

No, I didn't.

How can I do it?

I'm starting to think that this process is too difficult for me.

• Mentor

Did the scale come with a small weight? That says either 10mg or 5mg or something like that

Don't worry, it's easy.

1 minute ago, Yesyes123 said:

Did the scale come with a small weight? That says either 10mg or 5mg or something like that

Don't worry, it's easy.

It comes with a little weight, yes.

I should I measure it?

• Mentor

What value does it say marked on the weight? 10mg? 

Please weight it and see if the scale says the same value that is written on the weight. If so, it is good to go.

What value does it say marked on the weight? 10mg? 

Please weight it and see if the scale says the same value that is written on the weight. If so, it is good to go.

The weight is 50 gr and the scale says 50.067, 50.041...it depends on when I place it.

• Mentor
Just now, marta92 said:

The weight is 50 gr and the scale says 50.067

Ok, that's interesting.

I'm sure @brassmonkey will be able to tell us if that difference is normal and how to proceed. 

Really, don't worry, it's a very simple process. I'm just trying to make sure everything is correct so you don't end up with a wrong value.

• Mentor

@marta92 did the scale come with a manual? Please check it, there are instructions on how to calibrate it

• Mentor

-

2 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

@marta92 did the scale come with a manual? Please check it, there are instructions on how to calibrate it

The manual says 

1. Wait for the display to show 0.000 g then press and hold MODE key until the display shows CAL then release

2. Press the MODE key against. The display will flash CAL followed by the required calibration weight

4. After "pass" shows on the LCD, shutdown the scale, remove the weights from the platform, the calibration process is over.

But I don't understand what means "followed by the required calibration weight" and what I should put to calibrate

• Mentor
1 minute ago, marta92 said:

followed by the required calibration weight

This means that the scale will show on the screen the value of the weight you should put in it.

It ONLY came with one 50g weight, right?

This means that the scale will show on the screen the value of the weight you should put in it.

It ONLY came with one 50g weight, right?

Yes

Just now, marta92 said:

Yes

Maybe I should calibrate with that 50g piece until the scale says 50g, I don't know

• Mentor

Ok, so then you should place the weight on the scale during this step to calibrate it.

6 minutes ago, marta92 said:

2. Press the MODE key against. The display will flash CAL followed by the required calibration weight

Let me know how it goes. Also remember to place the scale in flat surface.

Ok, so then you should place the weight on the scale during this step to calibrate it.

Let me know how it goes. Also remember to place the scale in flat surface.

Yes but I don't know how.

I mean, how do I know that the weight I put equals the calibration weight previously shown on the screen?

• Mentor

You will be placing the 50g weight that came with the scale in order to calibrate it. It should show 50.000 on the screen

27 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

You will be placing the 50g weight that came with the scale in order to calibrate it. It should show 50.000 on the screen

Ok I've calibrated the scale

• Mentor

Ok, so did it show 50.000 when you weight the 50g weight?

6 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

Ok, so did it show 50.000 when you weight the 50g weight?

Yes

• Mentor

Ok so now please weight Ten cipralex pills again and tell me the average weight (10 pills weight divided by 10)

It's good that you have calibrated your scale, but with it being off by only 0.067mg for a 50mg weight it will not make a difference with weighing out your dose. We can still use the 138mg average pill weight for the calculations. If you have recalculated the average weight then you can use that number in place of 138 in the following calculations, but the answer won't be much different.

Average pill weight 0.138g or 138mgpw (Milligrams Pill Weight)

Strength of pill 10mgai (Milligrams Active Ingredient)

Target dose strength 0.5mgi

10/.5 =20 so we need a dose that is 1/20th of the full strength.

100/20 = 5 meaning we need 5% of the full strength dose.

We get a full strength dose from a full pill which weighs 138mgpw. If we make up a dose that weights 5% of that 138mgpw we will get the correct amount of medication.

138 X 5%  OR 138 X .05 = 6.9mgpw It will be easier if we round this up to 7mgpw and it will make very little difference in the strength of the dose. If you're interested in why we can go into that later, but right now it will just confuse the matter.

So using your freshly calibrated scales (you shouldn't have to calibrate them again for a long time) you want to weigh out a dose of 7mgpw. It will be easiest to crush the pill in to a fine powder and then scoop out a little bit and weigh it, add and subtract powder until you get a reading of 0.007 on the scales. It will take a rather fine touch to hit the number exactly. That little pile of powder will be your dose.

A little trick for using the scales is to take a small square of paper, I use a small postit note, fold it in half and open it back up and place it on the bowl of the scales. Turn the scales on and it will automatically subtract the weight of the paper and the display will read 0.000. If not press the TARE button and it will reset things. Put some powder on the paper gently rub it around and the either put the powder back in the pile or discard it. Do not wipe off the paper. In theory the little bit of powder that sticks to the paper could throw off your measurement, but it really is so small that it doesn't count. Now start over again with zeroing the scale with the paper on it and weigh out your dose. I find a nail file very handy for working with the powder. Once you have the dose weighed out use the paper to "funnel" the powder into the capsule and snap the end onto the capsule. While you are at it make up 7 or 14 capsules so you only have to do this once every week or so. It may seem tedious the first time or two but it really is pretty easy.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Mentor

Hey @marta92 How are you today? Did you get to reinstate? Please let us know

18 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

It's good that you have calibrated your scale, but with it being off by only 0.067mg for a 50mg weight it will not make a difference with weighing out your dose. We can still use the 138mg average pill weight for the calculations. If you have recalculated the average weight then you can use that number in place of 138 in the following calculations, but the answer won't be much different.

Average pill weight 0.138g or 138mgpw (Milligrams Pill Weight)

Strength of pill 10mgai (Milligrams Active Ingredient)

Target dose strength 0.5mgi

10/.5 =20 so we need a dose that is 1/20th of the full strength.

100/20 = 5 meaning we need 5% of the full strength dose.

We get a full strength dose from a full pill which weighs 138mgpw. If we make up a dose that weights 5% of that 138mgpw we will get the correct amount of medication.

138 X 5%  OR 138 X .05 = 6.9mgpw It will be easier if we round this up to 7mgpw and it will make very little difference in the strength of the dose. If you're interested in why we can go into that later, but right now it will just confuse the matter.

So using your freshly calibrated scales (you shouldn't have to calibrate them again for a long time) you want to weigh out a dose of 7mgpw. It will be easiest to crush the pill in to a fine powder and then scoop out a little bit and weigh it, add and subtract powder until you get a reading of 0.007 on the scales. It will take a rather fine touch to hit the number exactly. That little pile of powder will be your dose.

A little trick for using the scales is to take a small square of paper, I use a small postit note, fold it in half and open it back up and place it on the bowl of the scales. Turn the scales on and it will automatically subtract the weight of the paper and the display will read 0.000. If not press the TARE button and it will reset things. Put some powder on the paper gently rub it around and the either put the powder back in the pile or discard it. Do not wipe off the paper. In theory the little bit of powder that sticks to the paper could throw off your measurement, but it really is so small that it doesn't count. Now start over again with zeroing the scale with the paper on it and weigh out your dose. I find a nail file very handy for working with the powder. Once you have the dose weighed out use the paper to "funnel" the powder into the capsule and snap the end onto the capsule. While you are at it make up 7 or 14 capsules so you only have to do this once every week or so. It may seem tedious the first time or two but it really is pretty easy.

Hi brassmonkey

Sorry, I've re-weighted the pills after the calibration and now the average weight is 1.254 😥 but it's weird, it seems to high to me

I'll write here the weight of each pill:

Could you please help me recalculate my dose, please?

I'm so scared.