Marija: Help needed with reinstating mirtazapine after severe WD

Marija

• Administrator
On 6/11/2021 at 2:33 AM, Marija said:

I'm very puzzled about what's happening as I slept okay for a while on 2.5mg and then it went downhill after approx two weeks. Then, as you know, I lowered the dose to 2mg, slept amazingly for approx a week and a half and then my sleep started to go downhill again. Do you think the dose still too high causing a paradoxical reaction?

This may be what's happening. Your body is saying it could do with less mirtazapine. I would try a very slight reduction, perhaps every 3 weeks.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

11 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

This may be what's happening. Your body is saying it could do with less mirtazapine. I would try a very slight reduction, perhaps every 3 weeks.

By how much do you feel I should reduced @Altostrata? Should I be very cautious and reduce by about 0.1mg only or can I do a slightly larger reduction? 

Not sure of all dates and times

2008 as a teenager I took Haloperidol, diazepam and citalopram. Weird cocktail of drugs from a WEIRD psychiatrist for no reason. Stopped after 3 days. No WD symptoms.

2015 quetiapine for about a month and then stopped and citalopram for about a week and then stopped. No WD symptoms at all.

2018 15mg mirtazapine. The full dose taken only once or twice. Then 7.5mg as and when required (not every night) for about 3 months. Reduced further to approx 3.25mg and carried on taking them every now and then (anywhere between once a week and every night for a couple of weeks). Never consistently though. 

7th Dec 2021 tried to stop taking it completely - cold turkey. Severe insomnia (several 0 hour nights), panic. Had no idea it was WD. Was determined to stop still. Was prescribed lorazepam 1mg before bed. Took it 6 times over 3 weeks for sleep and anxiety, it helped. Discontinued.

20th Dec, 2021 one 25mg tablet of trazadone as advised by GP to manage insomnia - didn't agree with it, stopped. Severe insomnia and anxiety again.

5th Jan, 2021 started 3.25mg mirtazapine again out of desperation due to insomnia. Took it approx every 3-4 days. With a two week period where I took it every day.

09/02/2021 last dose of mirtazapine approx 3.25mg on before stopping cold turkey again. Not coping. Total insomnia, anxiety, panic.

19/02/2021 discovered SA and reinstated 0.5mg and took 2mg lorazepam that same day as in crisis at that point.

06/03/21 took 2mg lorazepam as in crisis again due to insomnia and updosed to 0.75mg mirtazapine

09/05/21 took 2mg lorazepam as in crisis again due to sudden onset of insomnia AGAIN and updosed to 2.5mg. Other WD symptoms under control on 2.5mg, doing well but then BAM sudden onset of insomnia again after about 2 weeks on 2.5mg

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Administrator

When you went from 2.5mg to 2.0mg, you made a 20% reduction. You may wish to try 10% reductions, very gradually decreasing so you can maintain your sleep during the process.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Just now, Altostrata said:

When you went from 2.5mg to 2.0mg, you made a 20% reduction. You may wish to try 10% reductions, very gradually decreasing so you can maintain your sleep during the process.

Okay, I shall try that when I reach the three week mark. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your continuing support @Altostrata

2008 as a teenager I took Haloperidol, diazepam and citalopram. Weird cocktail of drugs from a WEIRD psychiatrist for no reason. Stopped after 3 days. No WD symptoms.

2015 quetiapine for about a month and then stopped and citalopram for about a week and then stopped. No WD symptoms at all.

2018 15mg mirtazapine. The full dose taken only once or twice. Then 7.5mg as and when required (not every night) for about 3 months. Reduced further to approx 3.25mg and carried on taking them every now and then (anywhere between once a week and every night for a couple of weeks). Never consistently though. 

7th Dec 2021 tried to stop taking it completely - cold turkey. Severe insomnia (several 0 hour nights), panic. Had no idea it was WD. Was determined to stop still. Was prescribed lorazepam 1mg before bed. Took it 6 times over 3 weeks for sleep and anxiety, it helped. Discontinued.

20th Dec, 2021 one 25mg tablet of trazadone as advised by GP to manage insomnia - didn't agree with it, stopped. Severe insomnia and anxiety again.

5th Jan, 2021 started 3.25mg mirtazapine again out of desperation due to insomnia. Took it approx every 3-4 days. With a two week period where I took it every day.

09/02/2021 last dose of mirtazapine approx 3.25mg on before stopping cold turkey again. Not coping. Total insomnia, anxiety, panic.

19/02/2021 discovered SA and reinstated 0.5mg and took 2mg lorazepam that same day as in crisis at that point.

06/03/21 took 2mg lorazepam as in crisis again due to insomnia and updosed to 0.75mg mirtazapine

09/05/21 took 2mg lorazepam as in crisis again due to sudden onset of insomnia AGAIN and updosed to 2.5mg. Other WD symptoms under control on 2.5mg, doing well but then BAM sudden onset of insomnia again after about 2 weeks on 2.5mg

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

Dear @AltostrataI could really do with some advice from you please. As you know, it's now been nearly three weeks since I decreased from 2mg to 2.5mg and immediately saw improvement in my sleep which lasted for just about two weeks after which I started experiencing a worsening of my symptoms which made us think that my body still thinks it's too much mirtazapine. I've been waiting to reach the three week mark so I can make a further reduction as suggested by you. However, over the past couple of days, I've been experiencing very bad akathisia which begins about an hour after taking mirtazapine and worsens overnight making my insomnia even worse. It's accompanied by a strong feeling of irritability, increased heart rate and a slight burning feeling in my left foot. Is this a worsening adverse reaction to 2mg because it's still too much for my body or WD from when I dropped from 2.5mg to 2mg? I'm leaning towards it being an adverse reaction because as you know, when I first reduced to 2mg I saw immediate improvement which lasted for approx two weeks before everything went downhill again. Do you think I should make a more drastic reduction (e.g. to 1.5mg) if it's an adverse reaction rather than tapering by 10%?. I have a feeling my body really doesn't like these higher doses. I'm not entirely sure what's happening and I don't want to make mistakes. If you could advise, that'd be so helpful.

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

Just to add, I'm not entirely sure if it's akathisia or RLS. I've tried to distinguish but I seem to have overlapping symptoms that could be indicative of either. 

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Administrator

Marija, if this reaction starts shortly after you take mirtazapine, it's probably a reaction to mirtazapine. You might want to reduce it slightly, perhaps by 0.25mg, and see what happens.

7 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Marija, if this reaction starts shortly after you take mirtazapine, it's probably a reaction to mirtazapine. You might want to reduce it slightly, perhaps by 0.25mg, and see what happens.

Thank you for such a prompt reply, I am so grateful @Altostrata. I shall reduce by 0.25mg and report back. Hopefully it'll help 🤞

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

Dear @Altostrata, the dose reduction by 0.25mg hasn't really resulted in much change. It gave me one good night of sleep the first night I reduced (restless legs also reduced that night) and now I'm not really sleeping again. When I reduced by 0.5 from 2.5mg to 2mg, the change was more dramatic - I slept well for nearly two weeks. I have a gut feeling that the dose is still simply too high... Would you advise I hold or make a further reduction? Don't want to make any mistakes so I shall take your advice as always on what to do.

Thank you!! 

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Administrator
On 6/17/2021 at 7:12 PM, Marija said:

I have a gut feeling that the dose is still simply too high... Would you advise I hold or make a further reduction?

Since mirtazapine has a long half-life, it will take a couple of weeks for the decrease to fully take effect. Has your sleep been getting better or worse since you reduced 5 days ago?

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Since mirtazapine has a long half-life, it will take a couple of weeks for the decrease to fully take effect. Has your sleep been getting better or worse since you reduced 5 days ago?

Interestingly, the past couple of nights I have slept a reasonable amount so yes, I'd say my sleep seems to have improved a little. It's probably taken a bit longer for my body to register the decrease with this drop. I shall keep holding!

Thank you so much for always getting back to me @Altostrata. I really really appreciate it. 

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Administrator

You've shown a remarkable grasp of drug effects, @Marija

It may find a bit of experimentation for you to find the "sweet spot" with your updose, but after you stabilize, you can start the final leg of your taper.

38 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You've shown a remarkable grasp of drug effects, @Marija

It may find a bit of experimentation for you to find the "sweet spot" with your updose, but after you stabilize, you can start the final leg of your taper.

I think in the beginning of my journey when I first discovered SA, I was scared. I had no idea what was happening to me. Now, however, thanks to SA and all the support and resources available here I feel educated, empowered, calmer and more patient. Feeling that way helps to ground myself and enables me to better observe the effects of this drug on me and describe them. I feel like I'm no longer filled with utter panic, even when things aren't going that well. I hope that I can maintain this state of mind throughout the entire process. I'm sure there are plenty of hurdles coming my way still...

Yes, I am hoping for that 'sweet spot' so I can stabilise and then slowly taper. I shall keep posting updates. I'm sure I'll be asking for your wisdom along the way as always @Altostrata.

Thank you again!!!

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Just a little update for anyone interested...

I've been doing really well since my last decrease - no more insomnia or other WD symptoms except for veeeery slight nausea and mild anxiety every now and then. I used to have anxiety before I even started mirtazapine though!

I'm contemplating a 10% drop tonight and see how I manage. Fingers crossed it's going to go relatively smoothly. I'll post another update sometime after my drop tonight.

Sending lost of love to everyone.

And as always.... Thank you to everyone who has supported me and given me advice throughout my journey so far. 

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Very glad to read you've stabilized, Marija. Let us know how you do with this latest decrease. 

Thank you Shep! 

Another quick update...

I've been tolerating my 10% reduction reasonably well especially considering that four days later I had my second dose of Moderna vaccine and was left feeling intensely unwell with very high fever, muscle aches and heart palpitations for three days. I think my main symptoms in relation to the reduction in mirtazapine in 8th July are an increase in anxiety (particularly in the morning shortly after I wake up), some GI issues (looser than usual stools and some cramps), some nausea and general feelings of weakness and fatigue which could be related to the vaccine. Sleep so far has been okay with some nights not so good (again could have been a result of the vaccine) but others really not bad at all!! Overall, I'm coping quite well currently and hoping that it doesn't get much worse. I shall hold until I stabilise! 

Lots of love to everyone.

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, Marija said:

I shall hold until I stabilise! 

Very good advice! 

Thanks for letting us know about your vaccine experience. Very glad to read you're recovering from that second jab. Next time you're online, please copy the bit about your vaccine experience and paste it over in our COVID thread:

Coronavirus / covid19, and psychiatric drug tapering & withdrawal.  Covid19 vaccine.

Done! :)

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• 3 weeks later...

It's me again! I thought I'd do an update for anyone following/interested 😊

I made another reduction a couple of days ago after staying on my previous dose for 4 weeks and feeling stable. We shall see how this one goes! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for mild WD symptoms similar to the ones I described and experienced during my previous reduction. I also completed a course of therapy and have been doing a lot of work on myself, trying to move past painful, traumatic past experiences, overcoming my fear of saying "no" to people and just generally managing my automatic negative thoughts and emotions. I think all this has been helping me deal with WD symptoms! 

Sending love to everyone and I shall keep posting updates 😊

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! 

I thought I'd to an update again to whoever is interested.

I've been doing really well overall, however, during the past week things haven't been that great... I made my 10% reduction three weeks ago, had some mild WD symptoms about a week and half after the reduction which resolved relatively quickly. I was feeling positive about reducing again in a week.

However, my partner and I went to visit his parents for a couple of nights and that's when it all started going downhill. Due to a change in environment, socialising etc. I have found myself very anxious. I got practically zero sleep during those two nights. After I came back home, I seemed to have calmed down a little bit for one day after sleeping well in my own bed but it didn't last... I had to go to work the next day and I was suddenly filled with anxiety which resulted in practically zero sleep again. Ever since then, I just can't seem to be able to calm down - raging anxiety and severe insomnia for 4 nights in a row now. I'm puzzled about what's going on. My gut feeling is that I've probably stressed myself out by going away (I haven't left the house for a night away since I've started the taper) which ramped up my WD symptoms and threw me into quite a bad wave... I'm not entirely sure if this would have happened even if I hadn't gone away but considering that I was feeling really well at the three week mark before going away suggests that it's the stress that caused it. 

I shall try holding and hopefully I will stabilise. It's so frustrating not being able to enjoy simple things such as going away for a couple of nights and socialising. My partner thinks that I should expose myself to these things even if they cause me distress as he's worried that if I don't, I'll slowly start limiting myself more and more. In a way, I agree with him, but going away for two nights is simply not worth it for me if it results in this. I'd rather barricade myself in the house forever! Haha I'm not entirely sure what the right thing to do is in terms of "exposure". I feel that I should just be kind with myself and simply say "no" to things I feel will cause me anxiety while tapering. Once I'm done tapering and I stabilise, I can start exposing myself to all these things such as going away, socialising etc. a lot more then. I'm already dreading having to go to my partner's family home for Christmas and staying there for a few nights!! I honestly just want to back out but I then start worrying about how this would affect my relationship with my partner and his family... Ughh... Does anyone have thoughts on this..? 

Sending love to everyone 💕

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Moderator Emeritus

@MarijaIt sounds like a stress cycle, which is common. Once the loop starts, it's hard to get out of it. Treating yourself kindly and saying no to things when you can may be best. You'll find more tips about navigating through family here - Relationships and social life.

You're managing to work throughout your taper, which is really great. That may be all your nervous system can handle for now, but that will change as you come off the drug and heal. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, so the bad news is that I've managed to make myself really really ill. I've been doing really well with my taper so I decided to reintroduce some exercise into my life by doing a short weight lifting session (nothing extreme) yesterday morning. Ever since then, my anxiety has been through the roof, I've been having bouts of diarrhea, nausea, total insomnia, heart racing, stomach pain. My take from this is that I threw myself into a sudden wave caused by exercise. @Altostrata do you agree? If so, why did this happen? I've read that exercise can increase histamine levels so I'm presuming that's at least one factor contributing to me feeling so ill. Does anyone have any idea how long this is likely to last and what I should do in this instance please? I feel so awful physically. I can't stop beating myself up for doing more intense exercise. I was doing so well with walking and yoga, I shouldn't have pushed myself!!!

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Marija said:

My take from this is that I threw myself into a sudden wave caused by exercise.

This is possible. Did you also make any recent changes in drugs, supplements, etc.?

Exertion releases cortisol, which can cause symptoms of activation. Walking is one exercise that does not do this. Moderate walking is a good exercise to initiate reconditioning.

If caused by exertion, most likely this activation will go away in a week or two. I would not make any drug changes until it's well gone.

Thank you for your reply @Altostrata, I really appreciate your input. No, I haven't made any changes recently. If anything I was feeling okay and getting ready to drop again. Some of my symptoms are slowly resolving now but still, I had practically no sleep for the third night in a row. I'm taking it easy and trying to be kind to myself. I really hope it resolves soon. I won't make any changes until it does just like you suggested. 

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

Thank you for your updates, @Marija. I'm in the same boat as you, except that I jumped off 3 weeks ago at what I thought was a low enough dose (.075 mg), but apparently it wasn't. Insomnia is the worst. It's so scary to feel like this is what life is going to be like from now on, but I'm trying to hold on to hope that we'll eventually experience relief. Just wanted to say hello and remind you you're not alone.

• Started 7.5 mg Remeron in February 2020
  • Stopped CT in August 2020, I think?
  • Reinstated at about 2.5 mg in September 2020 (liquid taper)
  • Started Buspirone (5 mg 3x day) in November 2020 to deal with debilitating anxiety during remeron taper
  • Tapered to 2 mg for October, then dropped to 1.05 for November, and then down by .15 mg once/week for December (.9 first week, .75 second week, .6 third week, .45 fourth week, .3 fifth week) so that I was at .15 mg (1 mg of liquid) at the start of January 2021
  • Stopped in second week of January 2021 and couldn’t tolerate the insomnia, so reinstated to .6 mg and tapered slowly until Sept 2021 — jumped off at .075 mg because it was impossible to take less
  • Sept 2021, 0 mg remeron, 15 mg/day buspirone
  • Supplements: 300 mg magnesium, 3 mg melatonin, 2000 mg Vitamin D, Omega 3 (kelp-based)

Thanks so much for posting @Oriyah4. It definitely helps me feel less alone! 💕 I'm sorry to hear that you've been having an awful time since stopping. Are you considering a reinstatement or just hoping to wait it out? Do you react negatively to exercise too?

Yes, insomnia for me personally is the worst too. It's that one symptom that can make me feel like I'm going insane and makes everything else like anxiety worse. After I don't sleep for a few nights, I hate looking at myself in the mirror - I just look so ill. I know it sounds dramatic but it makes me feel like I'm quite literally withering away, dying slowly. I do try my best to stay positive. Most days I truly believe that I can and will do this and happier days are on their way! 

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Administrator

• 2 weeks later...

Dear @Altostrata, I'm keen to hear your thoughts on something. I was recently diagnosed with quite bad folic acid deficiency and my GP prescribed me some methylfolate to take daily. However, since I've started taking it (a few days ago), I've been experiencing surges in anxiety and other WD symptoms such as GI issues alongside poorer sleep so I believe it's due to the supplement I'm taking to boost my folic acid levels. I've consulted my GP who advised that it'll be close to impossible for me to boost my folic acid levels naturally and that I have to take the supplement if I want to avoid negative health effects due to insufficient folic acid. I'm puzzled about what to do... Any ideas on what I may be able to do in this situation? The flare up in WD symptoms is quite difficult to deal with. Should I chance it and try and boost my levels through diet only or should I persevere and take the supplement for a few months..? Have you had any experience with this?

Warm regards,

Marija

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Administrator

In a sensitized person such as yourself, the supplement could be causing those symptoms. However, having good folate levels is important. If I were you, I'd start with a tiny chip of the tablet each day. Every few days, make it a larger chip.

Go as slow as you need to, without triggering those uncomfortable symptoms. In a few weeks, you'll probably be able to take the whole tablet each day without a problem.

Brilliant, it's good to hear that there's a possible way. Thank you so much @Altostrata for you reply. I will give what you suggested a go!

All the best

Marija

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

Dear @Altostrata, I'm not doing well. I had three nights in a row with zero sleep mostly due to a sudden onset of whole body pain. Everything hurts - especially my back. And it's not the type of pain that you get if you pull a muscle, it's this inexplicable bad pain all over. Other body parts are affected too like my legs and arms and stomach. In addition, my heart rate is through the roof, particularly if I stand up. It feels like it goes up to about 200 beats and then only calm downs if I lie down immediately. I had to randomly lie down on the carpet because it felt like otherwise I would have passed out. My skin feels so sensitive to everything. It feels like every little joint in my body hurts. I don't understand what's happening to me. I haven't made any reductions, I have been holding at 1.4mg for 5 weeks now. I feel suicidal and like I can't carry on. This is the first time I feel this way. I can't wrap my head around what's happening to me and when it's going to stop.

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Administrator

1.4mg of what drug? How are you taking it?

Mirtazapine is the only medication I take @Altostrata. I make my own liquid using oro-dispersible tablets and then measure out the correct amount with a syringe. I make fresh liquid the same way every day. I take it at 8pm every night religiously. I have been making it this way for the past 8 months.

I do feel a bit better today. The whole body pain has subsided and I managed to get some broken sleep. I remain feeling completely confused about what happened and why it happened. I've never experienced anything like it before. 

I wonder if this was a bad wave and a sign that I need to taper slower and mess than 10% now that my dose is getting quite low. Still, it's hard to believe mirtazapine could cause what I described in my previous message. I suppose at this point nothing should surprise me anymore... 

Marija

27/05/2021 down to 2mg

• Administrator

Was there some irregularity in your liquid preparation? Was it old, or are the tablets old? Had it been left unrefrigerated, in heat? Did you take it off-schedule?

If none of the above, could be a wave. Holding for a while may help.

I'd say no to all those things. I shall hold and hope it's a wave... 

27/05/2021 down to 2mg