Andrei : olanzapine / Zyprexa cold turkey after 2 weeks

Andrei

I have OCD and because of it I have some sleeping problems . My doctor put on olanzapine 5 mg and zopiclone 7.5 mg(sleeping pill) . 

Olanzapine gave me some bad side effects like problems thinking , with memory , anhedonia ,suicidal ideation and finally decided to quit .I still find difficult to focus on studies but I hope for the better .I took it for about two weeks and in the second week a bit randomly . I have one week since I stopped and apart from some sleep difficulties  and some sleep hallucinations (which last night i didn't have them at all) I am quite ok . I also take suppliments like multivitamins( magnesium, thiamin , niacin , vitamin C, B 6 , B12 ...etc).

Reading the stories on this forum made me sad and worried . Right now I am bit confused in the sense that i do not know if what i am going through are withdrawals or not. The reason why I am on this forum is to ask for an advice on what to do if the things are getting worse . I know nothing about the taper method at that time and now I wonder if would be ok to taper just in case the withdrawals are coming and they're going to be unbearable. How is it safe to taper from 2weeks of 5 mg . I've read about the 10% in four weeks rule but that applies to my situation also?

Would be sad to live in that state for so long . Please help!

my timeline with olanzapine and zopiclone

28 ian 2021 - 4 feb - 5 mg ( on 31 feb I also took 7.5 mg zopiclone)

5 feb - off

6 feb -5 mg

7 feb -5 mg + 7.5 mg zopiclone

8 feb -2.5 mg

9 feb - 2.5 mg

10 feb 3/4 of 5 mg

11 feb  - off

12 feb 5 mg 

13 feb - 7.5 mg Zopiclone

14 feb - 7.5 mg Zopiclone

Edited by Erell
Title

28 ian - 5 mg olanzapine + 7,5 mg zopiclone, 29 ian - 5 mg olanzapine + 7,5 mg zopiclone , 30 ian - 5mg olanzapine , 31 ian - 5 mg olanzapine + 7,5 mg zopiclone, 1 feb - 5 mg olanzapine,  2 feb - 5 mg olanzapine, 3 feb - 5 mg olanzapine, 4 feb - 5 mg olanzapine, 5 feb - off , 6 feb -5 mg olanzapine ,7 feb -5 mg olanzapine + 7.5 mg zopiclone , 8 feb -2.5 mg olanzapine , 9 feb - 2.5 mg olanzapine , 10 feb - 2.5 mg olanzapine , 11 feb  - off , 12 feb - 5 mg olanzapine , 13 feb - 7.5 mg zopiclone ,14 feb - 7.5 mg zopiclone , 19 feb - 7.5 mg zopiclone .

I took 12pills and half of Olanzapine (5mg).

And 8 pills of Zopiclone(7,5 mg) but in the timeline ore only 7 days . Can't remember when I took the 8th pill.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Andrei

And welcome on SA. 

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved.

--》 I understand that you've given the infos above but could you please create a drug signature ? Please include drugs, dates, discontinuations. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can, and allow us to see your history at a glance.

This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

-> Are you currently still taking Zopiclone ?

18 hours ago, Andrei said:

.I still find difficult to focus on studies but I hope for the better .I took it for about two weeks and in the second week a bit randomly . I have one week since I stopped and apart from some sleep difficulties  and some sleep hallucinations (which last night i didn't have them at all) I am quite ok .

I'm glad to know that despite some sleep difficulties you're doing relatively ok.

Nobody can predict how a body will react while introducing a psychdrug, and nobody can predict how and how long it will react when quitting it.
However, you only took Olanzapine for two weeks and you're already seeing improvements which is a good sign.

I also take suppliments like multivitamins( magnesium, thiamin , niacin , vitamin C, B 6 , B12 ...etc

When did you start supplements ? 
We usually recommend people to avoid multivatims and to try one substance at a time and at low dose to see how it affects you.

I have OCD and because of it I have some sleeping problems .

Have you considered to learn some non-drug coping skills ? For example, some people find CBT therapy to be useful while dealing with OCD, perhaps you'll find these threads interesting

cognitive-behavior-therapy-cbt-for-anxiety-depression-and-withdrawal-symptoms

online-cognitive-behavior-therapy-lessons

Please, let us know how you're doing and details about your current Zopiclone use, this will help us to understand better your situation and provide suggestions.

Again, welcome :)

Edited by Erell

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Erell changed the title to Andrei : Olanzapine cold turkey after 2 weeks .

Hi Erell ,

I have stopped taking Zopiclone . Now I am in the 9th day since I quitted zyprexa cold turkey and I have some little insomnia . I still can sleep like 4-5 hours plus some naps but I do not know what to expect further . In case the withdrawals are going to be too severe what are you advising me to do? I know reinstatement is a solution but in my case I should take the same amount and taper 10% in 4 weeks? I took the for about 2 weeks ...

Please Help !

28 ian - 5 mg olanzapine + 7,5 mg zopiclone, 29 ian - 5 mg olanzapine + 7,5 mg zopiclone , 30 ian - 5mg olanzapine , 31 ian - 5 mg olanzapine + 7,5 mg zopiclone, 1 feb - 5 mg olanzapine,  2 feb - 5 mg olanzapine, 3 feb - 5 mg olanzapine, 4 feb - 5 mg olanzapine, 5 feb - off , 6 feb -5 mg olanzapine ,7 feb -5 mg olanzapine + 7.5 mg zopiclone , 8 feb -2.5 mg olanzapine , 9 feb - 2.5 mg olanzapine , 10 feb - 2.5 mg olanzapine , 11 feb  - off , 12 feb - 5 mg olanzapine , 13 feb - 7.5 mg zopiclone ,14 feb - 7.5 mg zopiclone , 19 feb - 7.5 mg zopiclone .

And 8 pills of Zopiclone(7,5 mg) but in the timeline ore only 7 days . Can't remember when I took the 8th pill.

The supplements I start taking them while I was on medication and I am still taking them . Are they harmful? They are just vitamins... 

Hi ,

I took olanzapine 5mg for about 2 weeks and I stopped taking it cold turkey . At the moment I am in day 10 since i stopped and apart from some sleep difficulties( 4-5 hours per night) I do not experience any other symptoms , just some stress and worries that it could be worse in the future . Reading so many stories on this forum made me realize that the withdrawals are very unpredictable .

I would like to be advised about the taper method in case the withdrawals are going to be too brutal . Since I took to drug for about 2 weeks/ 5 mg can I taper faster and with a smaller amount ? Does anyone was in my situation ? I also want to know does anyone successfully recovered after 2 weeks of cold turkey? The protracted withdrawals are experienced by anyone that stopped cold turkey?

Please replay , I am very worried.

Edited by manymoretodays
name to tile

• manymoretodays changed the title to Andrei: Olanzapine cold turkey after 2 weeks .
  • Moderator Emeritus

Andrei,

Welcome from me too.

Regarding the Olanzapine, at this point it looks like you've been on it a little less than 3 weeks.  A person is at risk of withdrawal symptoms after between 3 to 4 weeks on a psychiatric drug.  It's possible you could just stay off it with no reinstatement.  Your symptoms seem mild.

Regarding the B vitamin,  B vitamins can be too stimulating for someone affected by psychiatric drugs.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

In your signature, please list all drugs and dosages. 

If you went off olanzapine, you have no other withdrawal symptoms, and your sleep has improved to 4-5 hours a night, that's not too bad.

It sounds like your worrying is your worst problem and may be interfering with your sleep, which was your original problem.

Rather than taking psychiatric drugs for this unfounded worrying about the future, you might look into non-drug treatments, such as cognitive behavior therapy for the worrying thoughts. Also see:

What is the sleep cycle?

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

White noise devices for sleep

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

You might also postpone the B vitamins for a while, B vitamins can keep you awake.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Titled:  (member would like) statistical data on discontinuation of olanzapine

Hello everyone ,

I quit olanzapine/zyprexa cold turkey 5 mg after about 2 weeks and I am worried of withdrawals symptoms . It's been two weeks since I stopped and until now I've notice my sleep is affected . I wake up after about 4 hours and then I go back to sleep for another 1-2 hours in a semi conscious state. I often wake up feeling tired . At the moment I am slightly confused because I do not know if what I experience is a withdrawal symptom or simply my brain is just damaged because of zyprexa . I hope to get better but I am also stressed about getting severe withdrawals .

I looked into this forum for some statistical data about withdrawals and I didn't found anything so therefore I would like to ask the following questions . 

1. Does all the individuals who are quitting Olanzapine/Zyprexa cold turkey experience withdrawals symptoms? I am mostly interested in those with short periods of time like me. But also in those with longer periods of time. Can you estimate a percentage?

2.About the symptoms , usually how long does it take to kick in ? 

3. Does the severity of the symptoms is given by the frequency of use or dose or both ? A person like me who did CT after about 2 weeks/ 5 mg can experience the same symptoms and the same severity with a person who did CT after let's say 1 month but has taken half the dose (2.5 mg) ?

4. Among those who are getting withdrawal symptoms after they CT short periods of time ,  are they always getting the protracted withdrawal syndrome ?

Please reply to my post because I am worried and I do not know if I should reinstate or just continue CT .

Best ,

Andrei

Edited by manymoretodays
merged 2nd introduction topic to first, title of new introduction added to top of this post

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there Andrei, 

I merged your 2nd Introduction topic back here, to your main Introduction.  Just one Introduction topic per member please.

And thank you, it looks like you got a signature done, although it's a bit unclear.

So I think your final dose of 5 mg olanzapine may have been February 5th.

You noted a 31 February for zopiclone, and today is 27 February.

And so I am thinking that you last dosed zopiclone on 14 February.

AccountSettings/signature

click on ^ and you can edit or update the signature.  You might want to just do one line, with olanzapine, dosage, and dates.  And then another for the zopiclone, dosage and dates.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:32 PM, Andrei said:

1. Does all the individuals who are quitting Olanzapine/Zyprexa cold turkey experience withdrawals symptoms? I am mostly interested in those with short periods of time like me. But also in those with longer periods of time. Can you estimate a percentage?  No.  I can't.

2.About the symptoms , usually how long does it take to kick in ? It can be variable.

3. Does the severity of the symptoms is given by the frequency of use or dose or both ? A person like me who did CT after about 2 weeks/ 5 mg can experience the same symptoms and the same severity with a person who did CT after let's say 1 month but has taken half the dose (2.5 mg) ?

Dependency on a drug like zopiclone can occur in as little as 2 weeks.  With the olanzapine, probably closer to 1 month.

And I can't really answer your question, other than to say, you have every chance of a great recovery, as your usage of both drugs was brief.

4. Among those who are getting withdrawal symptoms after they CT short periods of time ,  are they always getting the protracted withdrawal syndrome ?  No.  Not everyone experiences protracted withdrawal syndrome after short term usage of 2 drugs.

So I'm seeing 4 doses of zopiclone, and then just 2-3 weeks of olanzapine.

I don't have statistics, but again(see the posts above this one, again too)......I think you may fare very well, depending on what your symptoms may have been like before you agreed to or opted for these medications.

If it was me, no, I would not reinstate either drug.  I would try for patience, hope, and non-drug coping now.  Your sleep sounds relatively okay at 4-6 hours.

If it was me, I'd get rid of any remaining olanzapine and zopiclone too.

I'm sorry I can't estimate percentages, or give any exact statistics.  I think you'll do okay, without any long drawn out protracted withdrawal syndrome, based on just the short usage of the 2 drugs you've mentioned.

And best.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi there ,

I have rewrite my drug signature just so you can have a better understanding . In short I took 12 pills and a half of Olanzapine (5mg) and 8 pills of Zopiclone (7,5 mg). Maybe you guys can give me a better answer now . 

I know is hard to give me a percentage but do you have any idea if everyone experience withdrawals symptoms when stopping cold turkey after short period of time(2 weeks) ? 

The symptoms are always severe when stopping cold turkey after 2 weeks ?

Hi there,

Please ignore the above post . Tried to edit it but your forum is not allowing to so I had to write a new post. 

I have rewrite my drug signature just so you can have a better understanding of my situation and maybe you can give a more accurate answers to my questions . In short I took 12 pills and a half of Olanzapine (5mg) and 8 pills of Zopiclone (7,5 mg). See the timeline.

Thank you very much for reply . It means a lot to me . I appreciate your effort in trying to help others who are in pain. 

There is one answer which is not very clear to me at the point number one.  I understand you can't give me an accurate answer with percentage but can you answer the begging question? See below .

1. Does all the individuals who are quitting Olanzapine/Zyprexa cold turkey experience withdrawals symptoms? I am mostly interested in those with short periods of time like me(almost 2 weeks).

I am very interested in your opinion because I cannot trust doctors anymore .

Best ,

Andrei

• 1 month later...

Topic title:  Olanzapine - cold turkey

Hi everyone! I have been on 5 mg of olanzapine for a period of 2 weeks and I stopped cold turkey due to side effects . It's been 2 months since I stopped and I am still having sleeping difficulties . My sleep is fragmented and quite shallow , I wake up after 3-4 hours of sleep than I go back to sleep again and I sleep in a semi-conscious state and I am dreaming vividly and waking up many times until I wake up completely. Because of this way of sleeping I am tired all the time , I cannot focus on my work and I feel weakened. Is there someone how have been in my situations and improved their sleep ? I want to mention that I take cdb oil but it didn't helped too much .

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging into Intro topic

Hi Andrei,

You could try reading the posts of both Zelnick and Zyprexa19, as far as short term olanzapine use and disrupted sleep.  Zelnick was only on the drug for nine days, and four years later was still suffering from the shallow, fragmented sleep and nightly nightmares.   Zyprexa19 was only on the 5 mg of drug a few months, i think, and quit cold turkey and found the insomnia unmanageable, so had reinstated to his previous dose of 5 mg, until his sleep had stabilized again and then began a slow liquid taper off of the drug that lasted about 7-8 months and had kept his sleep when he finally got off the drug this time.  The last time he had posted he said he was still sleeping good, several months off of the drug.  

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Andrei : olanzapine / Zyprexa cold turkey after 2 weeks
  • 11 months later...

Hello, how are you feeling now? Has your anhedonia gone?

Oct 20 2021 - Nov 11 2021: 2.5 mg (1.25 mg. in the morning and 1.25 mg. in the evening) -- abruptly stopped taking the drug (cold turkey)
Nov 15 2021: an attempt to reinstate olanzapine (I don’t remember the exact dosage, but it was 1.25 or 2.5 mg.), failed due to my fear of this drug
Nov 16 2021: took 25 mg. quetiapine at night
Nov 17 2021 - Nov 18 2021: took olanzapine at a dosage of 1.25 mg for two days in a row, stopped the drug again
Nov 20 2021 - Nov 29 2021: chaotically took quetiapine these days (I think I took 25 mg one night and 12.5 mg the other) and olanzapine (also a couple of times 1.25 mg each, and the last dose fell on November 29th)
Dec 2021 - Jan 2021: for a month and a half to two months I took many different natural supplements (fish oil, 5-HTP, St. John's wort, green tea extract, tyrosine, biotin, citicoline, Alpha GPC) and multivitamin complexes (B vitamins, for example); in addition, in the same weeks I took about 8-10 tablets of phenazepam, but I never did this even for two days in a row, because I just needed to relieve my anxiety, even if temporarily; from time to time I also took hydroxyzine during these months with an approximate regularity equal to one tablet (dosage - 0.25 mg.) in 5-6 days; in the first 14 days of January, I was also injected intramuscularly with peptides (cortexin)
beginning of February 2022: four days in a row I used 37.5 mg. venlafaxine, 25 mg. lamotrigine and 50 mg. trazodone (soon gave up all drugs due to lack of visible effects)
end of February 2022: I once tried a 50mg sulpiride capsule and a few days later took a 250mg Phenibut tablet (again, no noticeable effects)