Aleena : Withdrawal from escitalopram

Aleena

I have suffered depression during this pandemic due to an abusive spouse. I knew nothing about antidepressants dependency would be for life otherwise would have never started it. Just went to a neurologist for a nerve pain in my foot. He wrote me 5mg escitalopram with other vitamins. First I was reluctant to use it when I saw the side effects in description. He insisted on using it so I started biggest mistake of my life. Took 5mg every day for 5 weeks then I felt social depression, no emotions at all, felt so life less and energy less on the medication. 6th week I stopped taking it altogether didn't understand what was happening  me. Vertigos, nausea, brain zaps, paresthesia, fatigue. 7th week I went to Dr. He told me to taper off by taking it every other day. 

Took one tablet 5mg. After one day I was so afraid of withdrawals replaced it with st. John's wort 500mg that week went great. Energy and emotions all were back kept taking it every day but after 5 days started feeling bad anxiety with panic attacks. Didn't knew what was happening to me thought I will have a heart attack I stopped st. John's wort after 10 days felt some relief for 2 days then again panic attacks so bad I can't sleep well, wake up from the panic attacks, some days I get good sleep other days very little sleep, exercise has helped relieve some symptoms. Using 900mg omega 3 now, exercising and using milk 1litre everyday to add a source of tryptophan to my food. I Need advice, What should I do now. I am so afraid to be back on escitalopram drug. I don't want to suffer again. The anxiety and panic attacks are my only symptoms now a days. It's been 20 days since I last took 5mg escitalopram. 😢😥

Edited by Erell
  • Escitalopram 5mg  13dec 2020 to 23 Jan  2020 for 5weeks each day. 
  • Replaced escitalopram with st. John's wort 500mg 2feb2021 to 13feb 2021 for 10 days. Then again suffered panic attacks, pounding heart and chest pain. Heart rate fluctuations 90 to 100s.. 27days off of escitalopram, 900mg omega 3. Bad withdrawls 
  • Reinstated 1mg escitalopram 27, 28 Feb 2021.. 0.4mg 7march to 2 April, 0.35mg 4 April to 10 April, 0.3mg 10 April to 19 April (heart palpitations, chest pain), reinstated 0.35mg 20 april continued.. 
  •  

• Erell changed the title to Aleena : Withdrawal from escitalopram
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Aleena

And welcome on SA. 

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved.

--》 I understand that you've given the infos above but could you please create a drug signature ? Please include drugs, dates, discontinuations. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can, and allow us to see your history at a glance.

This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

-> Are you currently still taking St John's wort or have you stopped ?

18 hours ago, Aleena said:

Just went to a neurologist for a nerve pain in my foot. He wrote me 5mg escitalopram with other vitamins. First I was reluctant to use it when I saw the side effects in description. He insisted on using it so I started biggest mistake of my life. Took 5mg every day for 5 weeks then I felt social depression, no emotions at all, felt so life less and energy less on the medication. 6th week I stopped taking it altogether didn't understand what was happening  me. Vertigos, nausea, brain zaps, paresthesia, fatigue. 7th week I went to Dr. He told me to taper off by taking it every other day. 

I'm sorry for what you've been through. You're describing very common withdrawal symptoms.
Unfortunately, doctors don't seem to understand how powerful these drugs can be and they don't recognise withdrawal syndrome.

We advise to never skip doses to taper a psychdrug (never-skip-doses-to-taper ).

900mg omega 3 

You might be interested by this thread omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil

Some people also find that magnesium can help : magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker

The anxiety and panic attacks are my only symptoms now a days. 

I'm glad to read that you have relief from other symptoms.
Anxiety is one of the most common symptoms in withdrawal : we advise to learn non-drug coping skills to deal with symptoms.

You might find ideas here : 

non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms

--》 The only way we know to mitigate withdrawal syndrome is reinstatement. However, it has to be done cautiously, at a very low dose.

Please read this thread carefully and give us more details before doing any change :

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

I knew nothing about antidepressants dependency would be for life otherwise would have never started it.

Reinstatement or not, people do get better. It can take time and is often a very gradual process but healing happens.

You might find comfort in our Success Stories  :

success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal/

Again, welcome  :) 

Edited by Erell

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hello Aleena and welcome

You are not on your own, I am 21 days of taking my last 5mg Lexapro and anxiety is through the roof.  I only took it for 7 weeks and foolishly thought I would not get withdrawal, that was my first mistake. At the beginning I had suicidal thoughts the anxiety was that bad, it has calmed a little now but still very prominent.  I take St Johns Wort after I finished the medication - do not know if I should but you get desperate to try everything.  Good Luck, we will get through this as this wonderful website gives us much hope and support.

Started venlafaxine December 2016. Started to wean off Effexor over 16 months period and I had no issues at all. Stopped June 2020.  Unfortunately, I was under chronic stress from 4 deaths (1 was my mother) in the family amongst other things  and sunk back down in October 2020.  Rather than accepting this was chronic stress and grief, I panicked and went to the GP.

October 2020 prescribed Vortioxetine 10mg for 1 month and then increased to 15 mg ups advice from GP on for 7 weeks in total.  Had suicidal thoughts and off the wall anxiety.  Changed to Lexapro in mid December 2020, slow titration from 2.5mg up to 10mg.  After 7 weeks again off the wall anxiety. I was advised to take 5mg for one week and stop as I want to go 'au natural'.  Last SSRI was 30 January 2021.  

I was also prescribed diazepam and Zopiclone through the 4 months of taking SSRis to 'manage' the side effects and also for the withdrawal.   I am probably withdrawing from all drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, BooBoo19 said:

anxiety is through the roof.

I've found this restorative yoga pose helpful for WD anxiety.

10 minute Restorative Yoga for Relaxation | Up the wall

If, like me, you aren't limber (or have a bad back), just hooking your lower legs onto a chair also works fine.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you I shall try it

Started venlafaxine December 2016. Started to wean off Effexor over 16 months period and I had no issues at all. Stopped June 2020.  Unfortunately, I was under chronic stress from 4 deaths (1 was my mother) in the family amongst other things  and sunk back down in October 2020.  Rather than accepting this was chronic stress and grief, I panicked and went to the GP.

October 2020 prescribed Vortioxetine 10mg for 1 month and then increased to 15 mg ups advice from GP on for 7 weeks in total.  Had suicidal thoughts and off the wall anxiety.  Changed to Lexapro in mid December 2020, slow titration from 2.5mg up to 10mg.  After 7 weeks again off the wall anxiety. I was advised to take 5mg for one week and stop as I want to go 'au natural'.  Last SSRI was 30 January 2021.  

I was also prescribed diazepam and Zopiclone through the 4 months of taking SSRis to 'manage' the side effects and also for the withdrawal.   I am probably withdrawing from all drugs.

Thank you all for responding. Its good to have a community who understands and relates.

Today was a good day less panic attacks but I had crying spells. Still anxiety is there. I

Keep waking up every 3 hours at night and play games on my mobile to distract myself from depressing thoughts. 

• Replaced escitalopram with st. John's wort 500mg 2feb2021 to 13feb 2021 for 10 days. Then again suffered panic attacks, pounding heart and chest pain. Heart rate fluctuations 90 to 100s.. 27days off of escitalopram, 900mg omega 3. Bad withdrawls 
  • Reinstated 1mg escitalopram 27, 28 Feb 2021.. 0.4mg 7march to 2 April, 0.35mg 4 April to 10 April, 0.3mg 10 April to 19 April (heart palpitations, chest pain), reinstated 0.35mg 20 april continued.. 
  •  

Thank you all for responding. Its good to have a community who understands and relates.

Today was a good day less panic attacks but I had crying spells. Still anxiety is there. I

Keep waking up every 3 hours at night and play games on my mobile to distract myself from depressing thoughts. 

My only wish now is to never touch ssri drugs in my life. I hope this heart pounding anxiety will stop. 

•  

After 25 days off Lexapro I feel pain in the back and side of my  chest and my heart rate is high it is 95 usually but 85 with the use fish oil omega 3. I am thinking of going to a cardiologist. 

•  

Hi Aleena, I had a window 2 days ago when I thought, 'this is it' I am happy and 'normal again' it last about 3 hours and was lovely.  Unfortunately the next day was a low.  What I have noticed is that the anxiety although very present all the time is lessening as at the beginning I had to occasionally take Diazepam but I do not even consider taking one.  My sleep, like yours is hit and miss, I can have a good night and then a bad night.  When initially on the medication I would wake up with extreme anxiety that never subsided.  I still wake with anxiety and jitteriness but nothing in comparison to when I was on the medication.  I am returning to work on Monday after 5 months absence, I am very nervous and have anxiety about it, but think if I have something other to focus on then I may not dwell on my symptoms, I just hope this logic works.  I am finding it incredibly hard in lockdown as well, we have a roadmap out in the UK now.  

Hello 

An update, erase everything I previously said.  I am siting here in bed at 1.30 am in UK have an alright anxiety attack that is keeping me awake.  Its tatted in the afternoon and allowed me 2 hours of sleep before waking drenched in sweat and shaking.  Had to take a diazepam, quite annoyed at myself but very upset wondering if this will ever go away.  Had to update just in case anybody else was going through this so you know that you are not alone.  I am wondering how this has happened and is continuing.  Dramatic I know but this is not a life just a horrendous existence.

Hi Aleena,

I am experiencing the heartache, too, and I find it hard to describe.  Sometimes it feels like a vice grip, other times it feels like a tight band around my chest and sometimes, there is just pain at the heart center.  My heart beats fast for no reason.  Sometimes a surge of heat, anxiety or chemical grossness.

My doctor listened to my heart the other day and didn't find anything concerning.

I'm so sorry that you are experiencing this - I hope you get through this hard time quickly.

Take care,

Crochet

2012-present - Escitalopram currently 2.55 mg

Supplements:  Daytime- Green Lipped Mussel 1200mg, Omega-3s 1710mg, Wheat Germ Oil 770mg, Sodium Butyrate 1.2g, Phosphatidylcholine 2600mg, Multi-Min 2 tablets, Liposomal Glutathione 4 pumps, Probiotic 1 capsule, Beyond Balance herbal tinctures for lyme and gut healing (including one only taken during menstruation); Nighttime - L-theanine 200mg, melatonin 1mg, magnesium glycinate 400mg.

History:

2012-2017- Escitalopram 10mg

2017-2020 - Escitalopram 5mg

07/2019-11/2019 - Valium 10mg, every 2-3 days, then stopped

11/2020 - Stopped Escitalopram 5mg abruptly (crashed January 2021)

1/2021-12/2021 - Escitalopram Reinstated 2.5mg to 5 to 10 to 7.5 and then started slow taper

1/2021-2/2021 - Ativan .5mg - Took 13.5 pills over the course of 22 days and stopped

2/2021-9/2021  Hydroxyzine - 50-100mg tapering down to .8mg, then cross-tapered to Claritin and stopped

9/2021-9/2022 - Claritin 5 mg (tapered off)

My heart rate is above 100 now I think I need to reinstate my dose immediately 

•  

Is it OK to reinstate 1mg escitalopram after a one month of quitting 5mg dose.  Will that work and help with high heart rate developed after quitting. Can anyone guide. 

•  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Aleena,

Please do not create a new Introduction topic.  Each member has 1 Introduction topic and that is the best place to ask questions and journal your progress.  It keeps all your information in one place and means that you do not have to repeat yourself.

This topic will be merged with your Introduction topic here:

aleena-withdrawal-from-escitalopram

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Are you still taking St John's Wort?

Please put dates in your drug signature so that we have an accurate time line of your drug history.  Thank you.

So instead of:

Escitalopram 5mg for 5weeks each day,

Escitalopram 5mg date to date, 1 tablet date

Also include the date you took the one tablet (mentioned above) and delete:  Quited for a week then took only 1 tab.

st. John's wort 500mg for 10 days

St. John's wort 500mg date to date

And then this can be deleted because we will see the dates:

20 days of 0mg escitalopram,

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Please note that escitalopram is a very strong drug (Post #1 of Tips for Tapering topic linked below).  Because you were not taking it for very long if it was me I would only be reinstating a very tiny dose (suggested dose below).

If you are still taking St John's Wort than it is better not to take escitalopram as well as St John's Wort.

If you are not taking St John's Wort then you could try taking a tiny amount of escitalopram.  It is better to start with a small amount and increase it by a small amount than to risk taking too much.  You have already been off it for 1 month so your brain will already have made some adaptations during that time, however we do not know how much adaptation it has made.  You also took St John's Wort after you stopped the escitalopram.  You could try taking 0.25mg to start and to see how you react to it.  It takes about 4 days for a dose to build up to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  The idea of reinstating is to reduce the withdrawal symptoms and bring them to a bearable level, not to get rid of them completely.  If you notice some improvement during the first week then you could hold for longer.  If after 1 week you don't notice any worsening and no improvement you could increase by 0.25mg and take a total of 0.5mg

This topic explains how to get small doses:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Please read Post #1 of this topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

I have taken a small dose 1 mg escitalopram. As you said I should updose. Why is there a need to updose. Can I stabilize 1mg for a week or 2 then taper off again. 

•  

I have taken a small dose 1 mg escitalopram, within an hour my heart rate lowered and I was able to sleep. As you said I should updose. Why is there a need to updose. Can I stabilize 1mg for a week or 2 then lower my dose by 25%. I don't how long should I stabilize or lower the dose. 

•  

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/27/2021 at 7:53 PM, ChessieCat said:

If you are not taking St John's Wort then you could try taking a tiny amount of escitalopram.  It is better to start with a small amount and increase it by a small amount than to risk taking too much.  You have already been off it for 1 month so your brain will already have made some adaptations during that time, however we do not know how much adaptation it has made.  You also took St John's Wort after you stopped the escitalopram.  You could try taking 0.25mg to start and to see how you react to it.  It takes about 4 days for a dose to build up to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  The idea of reinstating is to reduce the withdrawal symptoms and bring them to a bearable level, not to get rid of them completely.  If you notice some improvement during the first week then you could hold for longer.  If after 1 week you don't notice any worsening and no improvement you could increase by 0.25mg and take a total of 0.5mg

This topic explains how to get small doses:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Please read Post #1 of this topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Hi Aleena, @Aleena

Are you off the St John's Wort now?

And quoted Ccats post that has the links to the topics that you would want to look at now.

In the escitalopram tapering topic, you'll see how to measure a non-standard dose of your escitalopram.

In the reinstatement topic, you'll find out just why, we suggest low dose reinstatements.

How are you measuring the 1 mg of escitalopram?

Why are you taking it at night?

We do need some dates in your signature:

On 7/19/2011 at 9:31 AM, Altostrata said:

Putting a SHORT version of your recent history of reducing or discontinuing drugs in your signature helps people understand your context when they read your posts.

Your signature appears under all your posts.

Staff needs this information to answer your questions. In your signature, we need to see

- Exactly what you're taking now, with dosages and when you started each drug

- What you were taking before, with dosages and start and stop dates

As the signature is limited to 12 lines, we expect you will condense your drug history. The last few years usually will do.

FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June 2018) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

If you edit your signature, the new one replaces any prior signature. It will appear in your signature under all your posts, even your old posts. If you want to save the information in the old signature, copy it and save it in a file on your computer or in a post in your Introductions topic.

(As of 12/31/13: Signatures are limited to 12 lines of text.)

How to add or edit your signature

1. Click on this link to open the correct page in User Settings:
    Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"

Welcome Aleena.  And do post right here.  This is your one and only Introduction topic.  That way, all your information is in one place, and will save you repeating yourself, and also us repeating questions to you. 

And so sorry about your situation.  Have you been able to get to a safe space, and away from your abusive spouse.  I hope so. 

15 hours ago, Aleena said:

I have taken a small dose 1 mg escitalopram, within an hour my heart rate lowered and I was able to sleep. As you said I should updose. Why is there a need to updose. Can I stabilize 1mg for a week or 2 then lower my dose by 25%. I don't how long should I stabilize or lower the dose. 

You definitely don't need to updose anymore.  You have reinstated at a larger dose than suggested.  If you are doing okay, then stick with it, the same dose, taken at the same time every day consistently.  And then after feeling more stable for some time, a few months might be best, 3 months minimum, then you can begin a taper off from the 1 mg dosage.  And you would want to taper using the 10% rule:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage

And I realize you just were on the drug for 5 weeks to begin with, yet already got thrown into some acute WD(withdrawal).  If the small dose helps with your WD symptoms, then that is great, and it shouldn't be too hard to just be more diligent with your next taper.  It's a more harm reduction method for your now altered nervous system.

If you can reduce the 1 mg dose to 0.5 mg now, that's what I would do.  Often less is more, and you may be quite sensitive to escitalopram.  If 0.5 resolves or minimizes some of your present WD(withdrawal) that may be all you need to take.

And best.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Please let us know how you are doing in the days to come Aleena, on your 1 mg dose of escitalopram.  And then we can further advise/suggest from there. 

And please work on your signature a bit more too, get some dates in there.  It acts as a quick reference for us, and save time, when trying to respond to your questions.

Please don't ingest any more St. Johns Wort, or other serotonergic drugs now.

Edited by manymoretodays
additional

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you for your advise I will try a 0.5mg dose today.But staying on it for three months seems a lot. Though my heart rate has lowered with 1 mg but I feel tingling and numbness with 1 mg dose. Surely will change my signature list. 

•  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Aleena,

And good job. 

Just add a start date to the taking 0.5 mg escitalopram in your signature please.

And if that does continue to relieve some of the WD(withdrawal) symptoms that's great, and often the best one can hope for.

Once, you feel like you do have some adequate stability, or WDstability, then the usual course would involve tapering from even the 0.5 mg of escitalopram.

For now though, just stay on that dose, and do please continue to update, with your overall progess, any symptoms related to WD, and just your overall well-being.  Thank you.

And best,  L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I am been taking a 0.5mg dose since 2 March but I still have back  shoulder pain but no more re tachycardia. Should I updose or wait another week to see effects. 

•  

Well I am suffering a sad mood with a spell of crying. The shoulder blade pain  that developed due toa month of chest pain. I wish it would go and it worries me still. My family Dr still suggested to start skipping doses to taper which I have declined. I am planning to stay on 0.5mg for a month. 

•  

Today I have updosed to 0. 75mg as I had heart palpitations and sadness on 0.5mg . I have a slight pain in back shoulder bone. I am becoming more afraid of this drugs side effects on my heart. 

•  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Aleena,

It's unlikely to be side effects of the drug at this point.  Often side effects of the drug are more prominent at higher dosages.

I think what you are going through is WD(withdrawal) right now.

And if the 0.5 mg dose continues to be helpful, that may be all you need. 

It may not completely remove all WD symptoms however. 

That's why we are always suggesting non-drug coping.  Even for all the worries.

20 hours ago, Aleena said:

Well I am suffering a sad mood with a spell of crying. The shoulder blade pain  that developed due toa month of chest pain. I wish it would go and it worries me still. My family Dr still suggested to start skipping doses to taper which I have declined. I am planning to stay on 0.5mg for a month. 

Sad moods and spells of crying can be pretty common in WD.  As can chest pain, shoulder pain, and sometimes palpations. 

If I were you, I would stay on the 0.5 mg dose for longer than just one month.  And then, like mentioned above, when you do go off that, you will want to taper off in small, little increments.

And good for you as we are not fans of skipping doses.

Look at all your improvement since you have reinstated.  I mean it's not completely back to normal for you, but it has been pretty good.

And again, unlikely that you will be completely free of WD symptoms for some time to come.

How are you measuring you 0.5 mg dose of escitalopram, and when do you take it?

Hoping life at home is easier for you now.  And they you have some adequate support people.

And best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

@manymoretodays well today I have taken a 0.75 mg days after 7 days on 0.5mg but the palpitations did not go however on 0.75 they disappeared.  What's your suggestion now. 

•  

• Moderator Emeritus

And your other symptoms?

Also wondering how you are measuring your doses, and what time you take your escitalopram?

Edited by manymoretodays

Lower back shoulder pain is still there and I see it's painful when touched

•  

• Moderator Emeritus

How do you measure your dose of escitalpram?

When do you take it?

@manymoretodays 

The liquid escitalopram is not available here so I use saline water in ratio  5mg:5ml. 5mg tablet crushed and dissolved in 5ml saline then I take out my dose with syringe. I am taking it exactly 8 pm every night. What you think am I doing it the right way? I do all house work, teach my kids, go for a walk, cooking and cleaning every day. 

•  

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds really good. 

You might want to discard the solution, after 7 days maximum.  When I did homemade, I discarded the solution after 3 days.

I take it that you are also protecting it from light, in a covered container, and keeping it in a cool place as well?

If you are using the same batch of solution, if it were me, I would remix, try 0.5 mg again, and then just stay put with it. 

If you are storing your solution as above, and remixing at least every 7 days already, then it's up to you if you want to stay at the higher dosage of 0.75 mg or the liquid equivalent would be 0.75 mL(millileter).

I just hate to see you going up in dose if you don't need to.  One day of symptoms of any kind should not result in upping your dosage.  You might find symptoms resolve without doing that.

Windows and waves:  The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Also:  What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

If you sleep okay, taking it at 8 pm is just fine.

I always took escitalopram in the morning, but it does seem to vary, as far as those who get activated from it. 

So if it does not interfere with sleep you'll be fine.

So.....I wonder if you have been using the same solution for too long, that might explain why it isn't helping with palpitations anymore. 

Aches and pains are so common with WD.  I had to use heated packs for relief of neck pain for a short while, when I was acutely affected.

I also got palpitations of my heart, they usually came on when I felt stressed, or everything was getting to me, or feeling like things were more than I could handle.  That eventually stopped.

Do you use any form of meditation or breathing?  Breathing techniques can be very calming for me.   So many ways to provide feedback to your body and heart that really do help.

You've been thrown off by the medications, and now by WD.  And it takes time, and patience, and finding practices that fit your lifestyle to cope and wait for the natural healing.

Yes, I think you are doing it the right way.  I think the reinstatement helped.  I don't think you need to keep increasing the dose. 

And I don't want you to keep thinking you will just quit the reinstatement as soon as you feel better all the time either.

I would much prefer you doing a judicious taper, sometime after you have felt stable enough, for several months.

Your thoughts are always appreciated too, Aleena.  Ask questions as they arise.  Keep us updated too.

I love the way you explain and genuinely help me ☺️. I am very sensitive to escitalopram. How long should I stabilize my dose before tapering should 2 weeks be enough? Last night I woke up every 2 hours due to heart pounding. I do sleep 6 hours every night but a very broken sleep. Hand and foot numbness are usual for me. 

•  

Well today is been a really good less heart palpitations but felt some pain in my feet. Lower back shoulder pain is still there. When I am on the drug I avoid arguing altogether. The only good thing done by the medication. Hoping to have a sound sleep today. My kids they love me so much and always want to play with me. One thing I have decided and promised myself to never scream on my kids ever again. I wish I should have done that before. 

I am planning to taper down after 2 weeks on 0.5 mg dose. I hope this is a good idea. 

•  

• 2 weeks later...

@manymoretodays

Your suggestion was great it helped me. The problem I am suffering now a days is headaches after orgasm which I never suffered. Makes me a worried. I don't know if it's withdrawal or not. How long should I stay on a dose before tapering again. Love and prayers. 🙂

•  

How long should one start tapering after reinstating. I  reinstated 0.5 escitalopram which worked and started tapering again after 2 weeks hold developed a new problem of headaches on sexual excitement. Is it related to pssd?I am lost what to do next. 

•  

• Moderator Emeritus

@Aleenathe important thing is to let our nervous system stabilize after reinstating before we do another taper.  It is different for everyone.  In my opinion it is better to err on the side of caution.  Reducing the dose too quickly can throw our nervous systems out of whack and cause a lot of suffering.  Here is a link that explains about stabilization: 

What Stabilizing Means

After Reinstating or Updosing How Long to Stabilize

For me personally, I always wait until my withdrawal symptoms are minimal and tolerable for at least a week or two before I do another dose reduction. I hope this helps.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly