Jamie89 : Desperate to get off mirtazapine

Jamie89

Hi everyone, 

I was put on mirtazapine Christmas Eve, so 2 months ago. I’m 35 weeks pregnant (28 weeks at the time) and hit a bad spell of anxiety which caused horrible insomnia. Originally was on citalopram but stopped taking that in the beginning because I was determined not to take any medication during this pregnancy which I have done successfully 3 times before this. I was unmedicated and doing great for many weeks before all this started. Anyways, the mirtazapine I have found has not helped me mentally whatsoever and we can’t seem to get the dosage right so I’ve decided to stop taking. We’ve tried 15 mg. Didn’t work for sleep, then 12.5 which worked for a short time. Now 7.5 which worked wonderful for sleep for a solid 2 weeks then completely stopped working . I am really trying to get off of it at this point especially before my baby comes. I’ve been on it at different dosages for 2 months. Any tips on getting off ? Last night I took about 1/4 of it and this is my third night of basically being up all night . Please help with any tips or success stories . Thank you !

Edited by Erell
  • Erell changed the title to Jamie89 : Desperate to get off mirtazapine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello

And welcome on SA. 

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved.

--》 I understand that you've given the infos above but could you please create a drug signature ? Please include drugs, dates, discontinuations. Specify dates for every dose changes.
 Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can, and allow us to see your history at a glance.

This is a direct link to your signature:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

And I'm sorry for what you're going through, really.

Questions

-> Have you discussed these symptoms with your doctor ? 

We usually recomend our members to do very slow tapers (no more than 10% drops every four weeks).

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

I understand that you're trying to get off quickly because of your pregnancy.
With your pregnancy, you really should be getting medical advice. We're not medical professionals here, so we  can only offer the harm-reduction advice of safe tapering of the drug you're currently taking. 

-> When did you quit Citalopram ?

You might find this thread interesting

tips-to-help-sleep

Again, welcome.

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Administrator

Welcome, @Jamie89

How long had you been taking 7.5mg mirtazapine? What time of day do you take it? Does it have any effect?

How much are you taking now? What was the schedule of your recent reductions down to this point?

Pregnancy has a lot of ups and downs in sleep. Is it possible your sleep problems are caused by pregnancy? Have you discussed this with your obstetrician?

Do you have any odd symptoms other than sleep problems?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.