KathySh - Started Amitriptyline HCL (10mg) on Dec. 26, 2021

KathySh

Thank you for adding me to the group.  I am 69 years old and retired.  My primary doctor wanted me to start Amitriptyline for nerve and arthritis pain as well as insomnia.  I had been taking Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen (5-325 - usually only a half of a tablet) and Ambien (half of a 5 mg tablet) for insomnia for at least 8 years.  While my pain and sleep issues under control with these medications, my doctor thought that I could take the Ami to deal with both issues.  I stopped the other meds and started taking Ami on Dec. 26 and it immediately eliminated the majority of the pain issues and I fell asleep easily - I was thrilled at this.  However, I hate the side effects:  no energy or motivation to do anything during the day (I have to force myself to do anything); dry mouth; nothing tastes good anymore; and I feel depressed.  I called the pharmacy for instructions for withdrawing from Ami: 1 tablet every other day for 1 week;1 tablet every 3 days for 1 week; 1 tablet every 4 days for a week; 1/2 tablet for one week.  Any suggestions welcomed.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Kathy.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

Please note don't recommend skipping days in order to taper. It confuses the nervous system, which is seeking stability. 

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

And this is information specific to amitriptyline:

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Please note we advocate a harm-reduction approach to tapering, meaning tapering off no faster than 10% a month, based on the prior's months dose (not the original prescription amount). 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Some of your symptoms may not be from amitritripyline side effects but rather, from coming off Ambien and Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen. Please let us know more about how you came off these drugs. They also can cause withdrawal symptoms.

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please continue to use this thread to post questions and let us know how you're feeling.