Candyce: Withdrawal from Citalopram

Candyce

This is my first post and visit to this site. I have recently stopped taking Citalopram (1st Jan 2021) and in need of desperate advice if what I am experiencing is normal. 

I had a break down a year ago. I had a difficult year and I started experiencing anxiety that spiralled out of control so the doctors put me on 20mg of citalopram. It worked wanders and towards the end of 2020 I was feeling myself again but also foggy from the medication so decided to taper off. I tapered down to 5mg (over 3months) in December with minimal withdrawal symptoms. 

Whilst tapering I had some withdrawal symptoms but it was all manageable.

First week in January 2021 I didn’t experience any withdrawal symptoms. Then I started to experience bad physical and emotional symptoms. Brian zaps. Heart racing. Palpitations. Insomnia. Racing thoughts. Anxious feelings. It was like I was back at square one when I started to have the break down a year prior. 

This then past after 2 weeks. I started to feel positive again and thought that was it. But this month it has started again. But now  it feels worse in some ways. I only experienced anxious feelings/symptoms before but not I feel like I am suffering from depression. I feel down, lethargic, tired all the time. Alone. Can’t stop crying. On top of the anxious feelings/symptoms are back again. I have hours when it lifts but then it’s back again. I just don’t know if I am suffering with withdrawal and this is all normal. Or is it more and I need the medication?? I will try everything I can not to go back on Citalopram as coming off has been so hard and I don’t ever want to go through it again and it made me feel so foggy and I have a 3 year old son I bring up alone whilst working full time so I just need to feel alert. 

I am hoping there are some success stories out there that are able to tell me this is part of the process and it will start to get better xx 

February 2020 20mg Citalopram 

October 2020 started taper down 

January 2021 stopped Citalopram 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Candyce.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

3 hours ago, Candyce said:

I have recently stopped taking Citalopram (1st Jan 2021) and in need of desperate advice if what I am experiencing is normal. 

3 hours ago, Candyce said:

First week in January 2021 I didn’t experience any withdrawal symptoms. Then I started to experience bad physical and emotional symptoms. Brian zaps. Heart racing. Palpitations. Insomnia. Racing thoughts. Anxious feelings. It was like I was back at square one when I started to have the break down a year prior. 

This then past after 2 weeks. I started to feel positive again and thought that was it. But this month it has started again. But now  it feels worse in some ways. I only experienced anxious feelings/symptoms before but not I feel like I am suffering from depression. I feel down, lethargic, tired all the time. Alone. Can’t stop crying. On top of the anxious feelings/symptoms are back again. I have hours when it lifts but then it’s back again.

What you're describing is classic withdrawal. The brain zaps and heart racing were likely acute symptoms and then you started experiencing some windows and waves. 

I'm going to leave you with some links to read that explain this and once you give us more information on your drug history, we can help you set up a game plan, including a reinstatement. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Please note the information in the reinstatement thread about going on a lower dose than what you were previously on. This is because your nervous system is now destabilized and may hyper-react. So aim low. You can always increase. We can help you set a targeted dose once we get more information about your current and previous drug history. 

Please also read at least the first posts in these threads: 

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in reinstating and provide other information, as well. 

• Shep changed the title to Candyce: Withdrawal from Citalopram

Thank you. Although I want to try and go through the process without reinstating the drug into my system at all. 

is there anyone out there that has gone through this process without having to reinstate x 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see this post about rapid tapers and cold turkey: 

Cold Turkey and Too-Fast Tapers

The purpose of the reinstatement is to lessen withdrawal symptoms. The drug itself isn't a poison - it's a tool. Looking at it that way may help. 

7 minutes ago, Candyce said:

is there anyone out there that has gone through this process without having to reinstate x 

Of course. Some people don't find this site until they are months off their drug and it's too late to reinstate and do a slow taper. Here are a few from the Success Stories section of the forum and you can find more over there: 

Coldturkymama - Recovered After Paxil Cold Turkey 

pug Your miracle is coming, hang on!

Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

Please note that overall, someone going cold turkey is likely to spend as much time healing as someone spends doing a slow gradual taper. So it doesn't speed up your healing time by going cold turkey. It just makes you suffer more if you're dependent on the drug. 

Doing a slow taper is like taking the stairs, going cold turkey or rapid taper is like jumping out the third story window. 

Here are some threads that may help explain what is happening:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Your brain and nervous system adapted to the drug and then the drug was removed too quickly. By reinstating a tiny amount, you help your brain and nervous system out. So again, if you can see the drug as a tool and not a poison, it may help you set up a narrative about reinstating that you find helpful. 

Anyways, just some thoughts and some links. 

Thank you. Yes I’m two months off now so I am trying not to go back unless I really really have to 🙂 

I will take a look at the success stories now 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Candyce said:

I will take a look at the success stories now 

Please keep in mind that although those are success stories, the path to success was much more brutal for them than for most people who taper. One of those success stories was mine, so just speaking from experience. 

Two months off is a great time to reinstate and save yourself the trauma. Since antidepressant withdrawal comes with delayed withdrawal, you may not be in the worst of it yet. I'm not trying to scare you, but to provide necessary information. 

Don't forget: Please provide a signature. Instructions are in my first post and you can also find the information here:

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

2 hours ago, Candyce said:

Thank you. Although I want to try and go through the process without reinstating the drug into my system at all. 

i m the one who CT Escitalopram 8 months ago after 5 months use . right now in a big wave. broken sleep, anxiety, cortisol surges  sweating some of the symtom i m facing at the moment.

2010 citanew 10mg ct after 6 monthes

2015 citanew 10mg ct after 5 to 6 monthes

April 2020 xanax .25 mg ct after 1 month

April 2020 citanew 10mg ct August 2020

several wd , insomnia, anxiety, fear, muscle spasm, weakness on left side.

Hi @saimshah ahh sorry to hear that. After 8 months you still experience withdrawal? Did you taper or just stop suddenly ? X

i just stopped suddenly in august 2020. I did not know about tapering that time. I was doing ok and hit by the extreme wave 20 days ago after taking vitamin b12 and vitamin d. 

@saimshah some people are fine just stopping. My brother just stopped no symptoms at all. So lucky. So your recent symptoms have just started because your taking vitamins? 

yes almost no wd. i was able to do all my activities.  but after taking vitamins i m in a big wave. how are you today and what are your main symtons after ct AD. Please note once you stop taking AD all at once it will not give you wd right after that rather after 2 to 3 months.

@saimshah sorry what’s AD and CT mean? Hopefully what your experiencing now is something to do with the vitamins and easily cured? The first month main symptoms were physical (brain zaps, dizziness, nauseous, heart palpitations) and emotional (anxious feelings, negative/obsessive thoughts). Now this month after a few weeks reprieve I’m feeling some physical mainly just heart racing but more emotional. And feeling low mood and tearful and anxious 

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Candyce said:

AD and CT mean?

AD means antidepressant(s).  CT means cold turkey, which is stopping a psychiatric drug with no taper or a very fast taper.

10 minutes ago, Candyce said:

The first month main symptoms were physical (brain zaps, dizziness, nauseous, heart palpitations) and emotional (anxious feelings, negative/obsessive thoughts). Now this month after a few weeks reprieve I’m feeling some physical mainly just heart racing but more emotional. And feeling low mood and tearful and anxious 

Withdrawal (WD) symptoms can be physical or emotional or both and can go back and forth.  The symptoms you describe are very typical.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

26 minutes ago, Gridley said:

AD means antidepressant(s).  CT means cold turkey, which is stopping a psychiatric drug with no taper or a very fast taper.

Withdrawal (WD) symptoms can be physical or emotional or both and can go back and forth.  The symptoms you describe are very typical.

Thank you 🙂. I didn’t CT @saimshah I tapered over 3 months down to 5mg then stopped. I probably should have reduced even further down from 5mg but as I was fine at the time I didn’t realise or think much about coming off at that point 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Candyce and welcome to SA,

I can understand your reluctance to reinstate the drug.  It is a very normal reaction and only you can make the decision about whether to stay off the drug or reinstate.

However learning about psychiatric drugs work can help you to make an informed decision.

I will tell you of my own experiences, one with citalopram and the other Pristiq.

I think that some people may experience withdrawal symptoms which they do not attribute to stopping a drug.  It is amazing the wide variety of symptoms which can be experienced.  I had an upset stomach when I reduced my Pristiq by 50% and would not have thought anything about it except that afterwards I found SA and the list of possible symptoms and made the connection.  I also suffered from extreme cog fog and after 2 weeks at the lower dose I was unable to type.  By that time I had found thankfully SA and they suggested updosing.  After I updosed, about 4 hours later, hours not days, I was able to type again.  I am a professional typist and had a benchmark so know for certain that it was caused by the drug. 

Also withdrawal may be delayed.  This happened to me when I cold turkeyed citalopram.  I felt great for at least 2 months afterwards, the best that I had felt for a very long time.  Then I got hit with what felt like the flu but was not.  I was bedridden for 2.5 weeks and lost 8kgs because I could not eat.  After this happened I was put on Pristiq, not knowing that it was withdrawal.  Again it was not until I found SA that I made the connection and realised that it was withdrawal.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find that a dose as small as 0.5mg citalopram might be enough to reduce your symptoms.  It is better to start with a small amount and increase by a little bit more gradually than to risk taking too much.  Please read Post #1 of the reinstatement topic linked above.

It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full strength/level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  If after 1 week you have noticed not improvement AND no worsening of the symptoms then you could increase by a tiny bit more, possibly only 0.25mg for a total of 0.75mg, but not more than a 0.5mg increase for a total of 1mg.

The idea of reinstating is not to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.

I am not trying to scare you with the information about PAWS, but provide you with  information to help you to make an informed decision.  Withdrawal after cold turkey or a very fast taper can sometimes be brutal and might also last a long time.  SA's tapering recommendation is to taper no more than 10% of the current dose about every 4 weeks, and hold for longer if symptoms remain.  We have members here who wish that they had found this information many years ago.

protracted-withdrawal-or-paws-post-acute-withdrawal-syndrome-how-long-does-it-last

Altostrata is SA's founder and experienced PAWS for many years after cold turkeying Paxil.  Here is her topic:

about-altostrata-withdrawal-syndrome-since-2004

And this is a very recent (end of 2020) interview with her:

INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder

Alto Strata's Paxil Prolonged Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome (8 minutes)

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

9 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

You might find that a dose as small as 0.5mg citalopram might be enough to reduce your symptoms.  It is better to start with a small amount and increase by a little bit more gradually than to risk taking too much.  Please read Post #1 of the reinstatement topic linked above.

It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full strength/level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  If after 1 week you have noticed not improvement AND no worsening of the symptoms then you could increase by a tiny bit more, possibly only 0.25mg for a total of 0.75mg, but not more than a 0.5mg increase for a total of 1mg.

The idea of reinstating is not to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.

I am not trying to scare you with the information about PAWS, but provide you with  information to help you to make an informed decision.  Withdrawal after cold turkey or a very fast taper can sometimes be brutal and might also last a long time.  SA's tapering recommendation is to taper no more than 10% of the current dose about every 4 weeks, and hold for longer if symptoms remain.  We have members here who wish that they had found this information many years ago.

protracted-withdrawal-or-paws-post-acute-withdrawal-syndrome-how-long-does-it-last

Altostrata is SA's founder and experienced PAWS for many years after cold turkeying Paxil.  Here is her topic:

about-altostrata-withdrawal-syndrome-since-2004

And this is a very recent (end of 2020) interview with her:

INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder

Alto Strata's Paxil Prolonged Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome (8 minutes)

Hi thank you for your message. It is scary reading these posts as it’s so hard to decide what is best long term. I don’t want to go back to go forwards unless I absolutely have to. The physical symptoms I had coming off back in January were awful. I no longer experience these so would like to avoid going back. 

before I had the break down I had PMDD. The PMDD is what has returned. So the Citalopram got rid of these symptoms all together. Now for around a week/10

days I have the PMDD symptoms. My thinking is that even if I go back on a reduced dose and taper slowly this will always come back when I stop the medication no matter how far in the future. As the medication doesn’t cure it, it just cures it whilst I’m taking it. I hope I am making sense.

• Administrator
On 2/27/2021 at 12:56 AM, Candyce said:

Now for around a week/10

days I have the PMDD symptoms. My thinking is that even if I go back on a reduced dose and taper slowly this will always come back when I stop the medication no matter how far in the future.

Hello, Candace. No, this may not be true. What we see here is that for many women, withdrawal syndrome makes menstrual symptoms worse, plus they get a ramp up in withdrawal symptoms at points in their cycle.

So the increase in PMDD you attribute to underlying PMDD may be the larger picture of withdrawal syndrome. What symptoms do you have that might be withdrawal? How's your sleep? How has your symptom pattern changed since January?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you @Altostrata. That would be a good sign then as it would mean it will pass/get easier in time. During my cycle is when I have the symptoms. The rest of the month I am fine. But during those 10 or just under days I experience irritability. Negative/obsessive thoughts. Find it harder to fall asleep. Feeling anxious most of the time. Low mood. Tearful. January the physical side effects (brain zaps/dizziness/heart palpitations/hot sweats) were worse. Fenruary symptoms it was more the emotional symptoms and the physical had more or less gone. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for creating your drug signature.

January 2021 stopped Citalopram dose?

Please add the dose that you last took.  Thank you.

17 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Thank you for creating your drug signature.

January 2021 stopped Citalopram dose?

Please add the dose that you last took.  Thank you.

All done :) 

• Administrator

It sounds to me like you have residual effects of antidepressant withdrawal around your menstrual period. This should fade over some months.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It sounds to me like you have residual effects of antidepressant withdrawal around your menstrual period. This should fade over some months.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you're doing.

Reading this is good news as it means it mean it should start to fade/get easier. Fingers crossed :)

I have started to take a daily vitamin that contains Magnesium (100mg) and B6 (10mg). I have read both of these can help. My local chemist advised to stop the vitamin during my more difficult days and increase my B6 to 50mg. Does this seem right?

Thank you for your advice 

• Moderator Emeritus

SA suggests when trying anything new to only try one thing at a time and to start with a low dose to see how you react.  Taking a complex makes it difficult to know what is causing any issues if they arise. 

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

To get the calming effect of magnesium it needs to be taken at least 2 hours apart from calcium.  Also for anxiety it is better to spread magnesium doses throughout the day.

Magnesium

Some members find B vitamins to be activating, especially B6.

There are many existing discussions about various topics on this site.  I prefer to use a search engine and I add site:survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

There are topics about Vitamin B as well as Vitamin B6.

That is interesting about B6. Its so confusing as we are always getting conflicting advice from different people. I will do some research on the B6 and also maybe get the vitamins separately then. Magnesium and Fish Oil :)

Thank you x

• 4 months later...

@ChessieCat hi I’m now going through very bad menstrual cycles as you can see on my post 💔 it’s really really bad... I’m taking powder magnesium “clam” I only take it during the 3am wake up I don’t know how much ive been taking this whole time , I mix like a half of teaspoon maybe smaller with about 1/4 cup of water , should I be taking more through out the day ??? Will it help with my horrific menstrual withdraw symptoms , it’s like I get in to that “I will be here forever , I can’t live like this forever “ emotion and I try to change the channel like I always do and the very next second it changes right back to the negative feeling , please help , I’m trying my best and beyond... thank you for your time 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• 4 weeks later...

@Candyce hello 👋 how are you doing , 🌞

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag