dubcity: about to start celexa taper

Dubcity

Hey guys just joined, after a long 3 year taper from benzos I have finally been benzo free for over a year. And I now want to try and taper my celexa that I have been taking for over 8 years. I have a few questions tho, if anyone could help me. Does anyone feel better during their taper? For instance with benzos I was stuck in horrible benzo WD tolerance, and I started actually feeling better during my micro taper. Was curious if anyone actually feels better during their slow taper. I was planning on tapering 5 % a month. 
 Another question I have is switching from pill to liquid form celexa, is it pretty easy to do? Because with benzos I wasn’t able to switch pill to liquid or even change drug manufactures. I am very sensitive. Thank you all I’m excited to start this long slow process. 

Edited by manymoretodays
removed my mod note, moved to Dubcity Introduction topic, already established

Started Effexor xr in 2006 went off cold Turkey in 2010 after a year I got hit with horrible panic attacks and was put on benzos and Zoloft . In 2015 I was switched from 25 mg Zoloft to 10 mg celexa

in 2016 I started my benzo taper 

min 2020 I finished my benzo taper 

and now in 2021 I want to try and taper off the 10 mg celexa

have been on 10 mg celexa since 2015  

Hey guys just joined, sorry for the double post think I did the first one incorrectly. after a long 3 year taper from benzos I have finally been benzo free for over a year. And I now want to try and taper my celexa that I have been taking for over 8 years. I have a few questions tho, if anyone could help me. Does anyone feel better during their taper? For instance with benzos I was stuck in horrible benzo WD tolerance, and I started actually feeling better during my micro taper. Was curious if anyone actually feels better during their slow taper. I was planning on tapering 5 % a month. 
 Another question I have is switching from pill to liquid form celexa, is it pretty easy to do? Because with benzos I wasn’t able to switch pill to liquid or even change drug manufactures. I am very sensitive. Thank you all I’m excited to start this long slow process

Started Effexor xr in 2006 went off cold Turkey in 2010 after a year I got hit with horrible panic attacks and was put on benzos and Zoloft . In 2015 I was switched from 25 mg Zoloft to 10 mg celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Dubcity.  Congratulations on being benzo free.  I've just started my benzo taper after a 4 year Lexapro taper

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you probably know, we recommend tpering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  The 5% you suggest is fine.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Celexa.

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

1 hour ago, Dubcity said:

Was curious if anyone actually feels better during their slow taper. 

Some may feel better.  For other it will be ups and down, windows and waves.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

The norm, however, is to feel some withdrawal symptoms after each drop, which stabilize before the next drop.  

Another question I have is switching from pill to liquid form celexa, is it pretty easy to do? Because with benzos I wasn’t able to switch pill to liquid or even change drug manufactures. I am very sensitive.

For some it is is easy.  For others, the liquid doesn't agree with them.  If you are very sensitive and weren't able to switch to liquid with the benzo, give the switch prospect careful consideration before deciding.   Celexa comes in a prescription liquid which, if you decide to go with liquid, would be the easiest way to do it.  We recommend a gradual crossover from tablet to liquid:

3/4 dose tablet, 1/4 dose liquid for 3 to 7 days

1/2, 1/2 for 3 to 7 days

1/4 tablet, 3/4 liquid for 3 to 7 days

All liquid thereafter

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridley thanks for responding! I was planning on doing a dry taper using a lab grade analytical scale. I was going to shave off 2.5% every 2 weeks using a razor. Do you think this is a good way to taper? it’s how I tapered benzos, but I’m not sure if celexa 10 mg tabs are equally distributed with the active ingredient. Thanks! Would love if you could chime in @Altostrata thanks! 

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, Dubcity said:

@Gridley thanks for responding! I was planning on doing a dry taper using a lab grade analytical scale. I was going to shave off 2.5% every 2 weeks using a razor. Do you think this is a good way to taper? it’s how I tapered benzos, but I’m not sure if celexa 10 mg tabs are equally distributed with the active ingredient. Thanks! Would love if you could chime in @Altostrata thanks! 

Since you have a good scale, a more accurate way to get your 2.5% would be to crush the tablet (I did it between two spoons) into powder, then stir the powder thoroughly.  This will distribute the active ingredient.  Then, using the scale, weigh powder, adding or subtracting as necessary to get the weight that you need for a 2.5% reduction.  

Here are the standard steps to arise at your dose.

1. Weigh ten of your Celexa pills and calculate the average.  This is the pill weight you'll be using.

2. Calculate what one of your pills contains in active ingredient (active ingredient (ai) is the dosage on the bottle.  This is the way you'll keep track of your taper.

3.  Multiply the weight of one pill by 97.5.  This will give you a 2.5% reduction.

4.  Weight out this amount of powder on the scale, put the powder in a size 0 or 00 gelatin capsule and you have your dose.

5. Save the remainder in a gelatin capsule for th next dose.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridleythank you! So my celexa pills weigh about .67 was planning on maybe reducing .1 every week. Do you think this sounds reasonable? My body is very sensitive, I previously tried a 5% cut in the past and it just crushed me.

I found fish oil a bit too stimulating for me in the past, but will try and do a lower dose maybe this time. @Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Dubcity said:

.67 was planning on maybe reducing .1 every week.

It is much better to do a percentage reduction based on current dose rather than a straight .1 every week.  Decreasing by a straight .1 every week accelerates the amount you would be decreasing each time, making it rougher and rougher with each drop.  By contrast, decreasing by a percentage (which would be less and less as you get lower and lower) decelerates the amount of each drop and makes things gentler on your system.

Since 5% is too much, decrease by less, as you proposed in your earlier post when you were talking about 2.5% every two weeks.

If that's too much, go to 2.5% every four weeks.

Try the fish oil at a lower dose.  If it works, great.  If  not, stop taking it.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

@Gridleygotcha! That totally makes sense. Can ssri cause tolerance withdrawal, the same way benzos do? my doctor was trying to tell me tolerance wd is not possible with ssri. But I continue to get mini brain zaps even on the same dose I’ve always taken. @Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus

Can ssri cause tolerance withdrawal,

Yes, it can.  The tolerance processes with benzos and SSRI's are different but the end result is the same: withdrawal symptoms even if you're not tapering.  With SSRI's the action is called tachyphylaxis.  Here's a post that Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, wrote about it.

Tachyphylaxis, Reaching Tolerance or as It's Lovingly Known “Poop-Out”

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

@Gridley How about interdose WD? Does anyone on here split their doses into two and take half AM and the other half PM? I felt much better after dosing my benzo into two doses was wondering if it’s the same for ssri. Sorry for all the questions, you’ve been very helpful. Trying to gather all the info I can before I start my taper :) 

• Administrator

You probably will not want to split your citalopram dose for interdose withdrawal, it's very rare.

You probably will want to put your citalopram powder into a large gelatin capsule to swallow it with water.

What is your drug schedule and what times of day do you get mini brain zaps? How do these differ from brain zaps?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata hey thanks for replying! So I take 10 mg of citalopram made by aurobindo everyday at noon. I’ve noticed you mention on other pages that it is very important to take the dose at the same time every day, does this matter what time I wake up? so the mimi brain zaps happen when I wake up and go through the day, it happens when I move my eyes just a tiny bit of zap occurs. I’m curious if you think it would be smart to try and cross taper over to brand celexa for my taper. I’m so sensitive that generic changes totally put me in full blown WD, that why I have stuck to aurobindo. 

• Administrator

If you are stable on aurobindo, I would continue to take aurobindo.

12 minutes ago, Dubcity said:

it is very important to take the dose at the same time every day, does this matter what time I wake up?

If you take the drug at the same time each day, how is this affected by the time you wake up?

You have described a brain zap. When did this start happening?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostratai mean affected by the time I wake up as in if I wake up later than usual I skip breakfast and take my celexa, was wondering if it makes a difference on full or empty stomach.

The mini brain zaps have been going on for about a couple months now.
Do you think it would be better if I take my dose at night instead of noon? Tnx 

@Gridley @Altostrata crushing the celexa pills into powder to weigh them sounds very complicated, what tool do you use to scoop the powder to transfer over to the scale and to take some off the scale if you add too much. And how do u transfer the powder to the empty capsules? Also worried about breathing in the powder. 
so I think it would come down to either cutting the tablets with a razor or trying to switch over to liquid celexa. 

have people had success with dry cutting their tablets and using a scale instead of crushing up the pill? Sounds much easier IMO.

Let me know which route y’all think I should go about 

thanks !

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Dubcity said:

@Gridley @Altostrata crushing the celexa pills into powder to weigh them sounds very complicated,

It's not at all complicated.  I am not good at math or mechanical things and I had no trouble with the crushing method.  The advantage of the powder is that you can mix it to make sure the active ingredient is spread throughout the dose.

what tool do you use to scoop the powder to transfer over to the scale and to take some off the scale if you add too much.

If you Google "powder measuring spoon" you'll see many choices.  This is what I used to add and subtract powder.  What I did was pour a bit of the powder on the scale receptacle, then with the spoon you add or subtract.  You can also use tweezers.

And how do u transfer the powder to the empty capsules?

Once you've got your correct weight, just pour the powder onto a post-it and the pour the powder into the capsule.  After doing this a few times you'll get the hang of it and there will be no wastage. Instead of a post-it, I ordered from Amazon LabExact Grade WW weighing paper 3"X3".

Also worried about breathing in the powder. 

I never had a problem with this but if you're concerned you could wear a surgical mask for the process.

trying to switch over to liquid celexa. 

That's definitely an option and many prefer going the liquid route.  I mentioned the scale and powder because you said you were very sensitive to changes and wanted to give you an option to avoid a change.  The liquid method is favored by many on the site, including Altostrata, the founder of the site.

have people had success with dry cutting their tablets and using a scale instead of crushing 

There's no way to tell about the manufacturing process and what their standards are in terms of even distribution of active ingredient.  That's why the powder method or the liquid method are preferable.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

If you place the post-it on the scales and press TARE you eliminate moving the powder from the scales to the paper and save the tiny amount that sticks to the bowl. Use the same post-it each time so you don't lose the little amount that sticks to it either.  I find the tip of a nail file works quite well for working with the powder.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

@brassmonkey hey thanks for responding! I’m not sure what you mean by using a post-in? How’s that different from using a piece of paper? Thanks 

@gridley thanks for response in great detail I appreciate it! But does anyone know how I can get my doctor to prescribe me the liquid citalopram instead of the pill? Because he says I can either stay on citalopram but if I want to get off he said he wants me to taper in just a few weeks. So I’m just scared he would prescribe me the liquid citalopram for a month and then cut me off. Not sure what to do guys..... thanks @Altostrata @brassmonkey

Post-it note: a small square of colored paper used to write reminder and notes on that you can stick to most surfaces with it's built in adhesive strip. They are a handy small size or good quality paper found in most offices and many homes.

If you can't get a prescription for the liquid or if it is unavailable it is quite easy to make your own suspension and use that. It involves dissolving a tablet in a specific amount of water, shaking it up and measuring your dose with a syringe.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Please put the dose of Celexa that you are taking in your drug signature.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Being able to get your drug for an SA taper is the highest priority.  If you are concerned that the doctor may not continue to prescribe then it might be better not to inform him that you are tapering.

how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

Citalopram / Celexa tablets can be made into a liquid.  See Post #1 of this topic by Rhiannon who is a lab technician if I recall correctly and originally used alcohol to dissolve the tablet but than changed to only water.  She has provided the details.

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@ChessieCat signature has been updated thanks! 

@brassmonkey I think I read you tapered by doing dry cuts. How was that in your experience? did you use a razor or nail file to shave away ur cuts. Thanks 🙏🏻 

I had no problems using that method. It was very handy to make up several weeks worth of capsules in one sitting and being able to carry them when traveling. I ground several tablets into a powder and then measured out what I needed to make up each capsule. I found it very difficult to try and hit a specific weight with cutting or filing a whole tablet.

@Altostrata so you don’t think splitting my celexa dose and taking half AM and the other half Pm would help w my mini brain zap feeling? I remember you recommending another member to split their celexa dosage of 5.75 mg into 2 saying you might think their metabolizing it faster than the 35 hour half life. Tnx 

4 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

I had no problems using that method. It was very handy to make up several weeks worth of capsules in one sitting and being able to carry them when traveling. I ground several tablets into a powder and then measured out what I needed to make up each capsule. I found it very difficult to try and hit a specific weight with cutting or filing a whole tablet.

@brassmonkey oh gotcha! Didn’t realize you ground your pills into powder for sum reason I thought you had done it by shaving off the pill w a razor. 

do you think crushing up my pills and tapering would be a easier smoother taper or switching over to liquid celexa.

I would need someone to teach me how to go the liquid route I have no clue what the oral syringes look like and how it’s even possible to make such small cuts like going down 2.5 % liquid. Thanks 

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

By the way (not weigh he he he!) liquid is more accurate.

Ok guys thanks for all the information, I have decided to have my doctor prescribe me liquid celexa. 
but my question is how can I drop 2.5% every 2 weeks using a syringe. It comes w a 5 ml syringe i am assuming. Any tips would be great. 
and of course I will gradually do a cross taper from pill to liquid first as my body is Already extremely sensitive.  Thanks everyone

@Gridley @brassmonkey @ChessieCat @Altostrata

Anyone? Thanks :)

• Administrator

Please ask your pharmacist how to take 2.5mg in liquid form using your oral syringe. Could be you need a smaller syringe.

50 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please ask your pharmacist how to take 2.5mg in liquid form using your oral syringe. Could be you need a smaller syringe.

2.5mg? My question was how to reduce 2.5% each week using a oral syringe. I am currently on 10 mg of celexa. Sorry for the confusion @Altostrata

@Altostrata I know your supposed to take the dose same time everyday, but I was wondering if it matters if you take it on an empty stomach or not. Because sometime I take it on and empty stomach and other times on a full stomach. Was curious to know if that’s ok. Tnx y’all 

• Administrator

Please ask your pharmacist how to use an oral syringe. You will have to use math to figure out how much a 10% decrease would be in milliliters according to the dilution of your liquid.

It can be easier to calculate using 90% of your prior dose, which is the new amount to take, rather than a 10% decrease. For example. your first decreased dose would be 90% of 10mg, or the equivalent of 9mg in milliliters of the liquid.

Ask us if you need help with calculations.

Please ask your pharmacist about the best way to take citalopram. This is often printed on the package insert. Let us know what you find out.

Ok so does anyone know when the best time to take your ssri is? If it matters am or Pm? My doctor was tryin to say before bed is the best time to take it so you sleep through the side effects. 

Or if it matters if u take it on an empty stomach some days and some days on full stomach ?

thanks y’all ! 

9 hours ago, Dubcity said:

Ok so does anyone know when the best time to take your ssri is? If it matters am or Pm? My doctor was tryin to say before bed is the best time to take it so you sleep through the side effects. 

Or if it matters if u take it on an empty stomach some days and some days on full stomach ?

thanks y’all ! 

Bump