long haulers, drug senstivity question?

Happy2Heal

• Mentor

hi

I'm hoping to connect with others who had a long drug history (mine is over 40yrs and almost every class of psych meds)

I am now over 3 yrs post zero and feel fully recovered 
EXCEPT-

I seem to be sensitive to caffeine, I can't drink any without it affecting my sleep. I gave up trying to drink coffee, and I don't really miss either.

I am very nervous however because I have surgery in my future.

I need a total knee replacement and possibly foot surgery too.

The last time I took any type of  major pain killer was almost 20 yrs ago, I was on lots of other meds including psych meds at the time.

They gave me oxycodone and I had a paradoxical ? effect, I guess. I don't recall it doing much for the pain, but it kept me wide awake for 3 full days!!

I've had a possible allergic reaction to codeine and or amoxicillin- they aren't sure because I was given both at the same time for I think bronchitis?

I will of course need some sort of pain meds for the knee surgery. I am utterly terrified that there will be nothing that will work or that I will have a bad reaction to whatever they do give me

A lot of the meds used for this surgery are also used as psych meds such as lyrica, cymbalta, neurotin, etc

I have had most of them and had a bad reaction to them.

Is there some way to test out if I will be safe to take these any of the pain medications? I have considerable pain now but have been managing with an occasional aspirin that may or may not do anything. I take a baby aspirin and feel like it helps but that could just be a placebo effect for all I know lol

What do I tell the surgeon?

I'm afraid they'll assume or suspect that I was a drug addict and that's why I am worried about this. I personally do not want any opiods but I have no idea if there  is anything else to take their place

I do not have a high tolerance for pain, quite the opposite

so I'm going to put this surgery off as long as I can but I can't put it off forever, I won't be able to get in and out of my 3rd floor apt and may even end up wheelchair bound.

any insight would be greatly appreciated

thanks

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy