SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Codepurple: Tapering Celexa

Codepurple

I've been on Celexa for almost 8 years. I started taking it because I started having postpartum depression. I've staying tapering about a week ago from 30 mg to 20 mgs. Everything was fine until my period approached and now I'm the angriest person on the planet. I wonder if this is actually me and if so it sucks because I have children and can't be like this. I'm so tempted to go back to my dose but also don't want to take these meds for the rest of my life. The most annoying person is my husband and I'm just wondering if I stayed with him all these years because I was medicated. Help please.

Example:

2013- 2021 Celexa 30 mg

March 2021 Taper Celexa but not succesful

July 2022 Cross taper Sertraline

September 2022 Cross taper Lexapro

October 2022 Cross taper Celexa 20 mg. Fast taper clonazepam

November 2022 Taper Celexa from 20 mg to 15 mg. Lorazepam 2.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.   We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs. In all likelihood what you are experiencing is withdrawal symptoms from reducing your Celexa, in addition to hormonal changes.  These drugs need to be tapered extremely slowly to avoid uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms.

Perhaps  your dose reduction was too big.  We suggest reducing the dose by 10% of the current dose, so that the taper becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

I would suggest a reinstatement.  We will give you a suggested reinstatement dose after we see your drug history.  

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called waves and windows.  

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 3 that we do suggest are magnesium, omega-3, and melatonin. Here are the links for info about those. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Melatonin

Finally, increasing your dose, which we call reinstatement,  should be done very carefully.  There is some risk involved, and we need more specifics about your drug history before we can suggest a good dose at which to reinstate.  Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Edited by manymoretodays
take out word recommend, soften wording,(mmt-only added signature link) updated signature link

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to Codepurple: Tapering Celexa
  • Administrator

Hello, @Codepurple

How are you doing? Here are Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...

I started tapering from Celexa 20 mg. I've been taking 30 mgs for about 9 years. I am now at 15 mg. I was fine until I had some issues in my personal life and now all I do is cry and find it hard to find joy, I'm actually scared that I won't be able to finish the taper and this will kill me first. By no means, do I want to die. I just want my sex drive back and just be a person that doesn't need to be on medication all the time. I don't think this is too much to ask. I starting taking Celexa after a difficult birth and post partum period because I felt I wouldn't be a good mother if I was depressed. It helped me out, I'm not going to lie, but the meds do have a lot of side effects. And I'm sick of them. Can someone tell me if the crappy feeling will end and if I'll feel like myself someday? 

Thank you so much for any input or comments. 

Example:

2013- 2021 Celexa 30 mg

March 2021 Taper Celexa but not succesful

July 2022 Cross taper Sertraline

September 2022 Cross taper Lexapro

October 2022 Cross taper Celexa 20 mg. Fast taper clonazepam

November 2022 Taper Celexa from 20 mg to 15 mg. Lorazepam 2.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Codepurple, @Codepurple

I just merged your most recent post back here, to your Introduction.

And it does look like you still need to do a signature for us too.

Scroll on up to see the first post/reply made to you, and you'll find that link to topic on what it is, and how to do.

Here is the link to the topic that will explain the signature and tell you how to do that.

How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

And thank you in advance, this is so helpful for us all, when you get it done.

So you are feeling "crappy".

When did you last taper?

And by how much?

And now.......that you are here again, and back to your home topic, your Introduction again........go ahead and look at some of what has been offered to you.

You don't want to taper too quickly, and do want to reach a good place, or good enough place......before you resume tapering too.

It will not always be this way.  It will get better.

Welcome aboard, use this page, topic......your Introduction page, and post here now.  That way you get the benefit of having all your information here, and together.  And it is helpful for us too.

Try to get to your signature please.  Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
signature link

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing