Naomi007: Needing Support- Reaching out

Naomi007

Naomi007

Hi, My name is Naomi, I live in Canada

I am in withdrawal from poly drugged over 31 years

I am presenting off all meds except one as of November 4th-2020

I experience intrusive thoughts, hyper awareness of my body and thoughts, scary panic and anxiety, mood swings, fear, fear, fear

Question my sanity every day

Never had this before in my life

Looking for connection with others experiencing withdrawal and any tips to survive this

Feel trapped inside my mind and scared of self

I am also going through Peri menopause which is making things very complicated

I also lost the light of my life daughter June 2019

Hanging on 

Thank you

Naomi

History

Anafranil 1990-2000

Paxil 

Cipralex

Zoloft

2020 - after taking expired amoxicillin, developed severe insomnia, 

Spiralled - 2x hospitalization, poly drugged, Benzos, sleeping pills, paxil, cipralex, trazodone, olanzapine, luvox, elavil,  everything made me worse

Presently taking Olanazpine 0.9mg for sleep

Melatonin 3mg for sleep

Vit D

Anafranil 1990-2000/ Paxil 2000- 2010/ Effexor/ Pristiq very short term - months/Cirpalex 2010- 2011

Zoloft 2011-2020- low dosage 8mg-  March 2020 took Amoxicillin- developed severe insomnia

Ativan- off and on April 2020- October 2020 /Zopidem- off and on April 2020- October 2020

Paxil 5mg- June 2020- September 2020/ Cipralex 5mg 4 weeks

Olanzapine .50 May 2020- October 2020  /Luvox- 10mg- October - 2 weeks/ Elavil 5mg- October - 2 weeks

Reinstated Olanzapine 1mg November 2020/ melatonin 3mg/ Vit D, Iron

Reduced Olanzapine 0.82mg Feb-March 2020,  Reinstated 1mg Olanzapine May 2020

• Shep changed the title to Naomi007: Needing Support- Reaching out
  • Administrator

Hi, Naomi.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

I'm sorry to read about your daughter. I'm sure that makes all of this so much harder. 

Here is some general information on psychiatric drug withdrawal:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Thank you for listing your drugs. Please add more details - such as month/year and the dose in a signature. 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please continue to use this thread to document your taper and to ask questions. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Naomi007

Still hanging in there

5 months today off all psych drugs, except 0.9 olanzapine

Still struggling with anxiety, weird thoughts, panic

Thank you for your response

Anafranil 1990-2000/ Paxil 2000- 2010/ Effexor/ Pristiq very short term - months/Cirpalex 2010- 2011

Zoloft 2011-2020- low dosage 8mg-  March 2020 took Amoxicillin- developed severe insomnia

Ativan- off and on April 2020- October 2020 /Zopidem- off and on April 2020- October 2020

Olanzapine .50 May 2020- October 2020  /Luvox- 10mg- October - 2 weeks/ Elavil 5mg- October - 2 weeks

getofflex

Hello Naomi, I'm very sorry for the loss of your daughter. Anxiety, weird thoughts, and panic are all classic signs of withdrawal from psych meds.  I certainly had these symptoms myself, and still do to some extent.  The healing process is very gradual and takes time.  I commend you for hanging in there.  Thanks for creating your drug history in your signature. 

Here are some links that talk about these symptoms: 

Ways to Cope with Daily Anxiety

Meditation for Stressed Nervous System

Fear, Terror, Panic, Anxiety

Repetitive Intrusive Thoughts

There are many good coping techniques to help with the withdrawal symptoms.  

Non Drug Coping Skills

Hang in there.  It gets better.  We are here for you. 

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 02 - 10 mg;  Apr 2 20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10 

Trazodone.  used 50 mg once every 4-7 days for sleep, stopped

Xanax. used 0.5 mg once every 4-7 days for sleep, stopped

Benadryl 50 mg, Ibuprofen 800 mg, or Tylenol 1000 mg

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, multivitamin, vit C, vit E, calcium

suppl PM: magnesium 350 mg, GABA 750 mg, Estroven, melatonin 3 mg, calcium

BooBoo19

Hello Naomi, sending you good vibes from the UK.  I am currently in withdrawal and exhibiting all the symptoms you are coupled with the peri-menopause which I agree with you is difficult as you cannot tell what is WD and what is hormonal.  During withdrawal my health anxiety has ramped up 10 fold.  I believe it is just time that we have to give it, I feel sometimes that I cannot continue if this is how my life is going to be but I have started to look back on progress over the last weeks rather than days as I see very little progress on a daily basis but am able to recognise some small progress over the weeks although I am very inpatient and want to be back to my happy go lucky self.  The anxiety has ruined my appetite and have lost 30lb in weight - not a diet I recommend. I have quite a supportive GP who does not. think AD's are the answer and recognises that most people stay on them due to the difficulty withdrawing.  Hang in there you are doing great, our brains are our biggest organ and therefore will take time to 'recalibrate'.  You are not alone although you feel like it, I can honestly say the withdrawals have been the worst time of my life as sometimes I want to climb out of my skin.  Tiny, tiny progress is made each day.  I know it is not much support but keep going.

November 2015 0 15mg Mirtazapine for 5 weeks and GP changed me to Effexor 150mg titrated up slowly as very sensitive.  Change was due to GP worried about weight gain on Mirtazapine.

Started to wean off Effexor over 16 months period and I had no issues at all. Stopped June 2020.  Unfortunately, I was under chronic stress from 4 deaths (1 was my mother) in the family amongst other things  and sunk back down in October 2020.  Rather than accepting this was chronic stress and grief, I panicked and went to GP.

October 2020 prescribed Vortioxetine 10mg for 1 month and then increased to 15 mg on for 7 weeks in total.  Had suicidal thoughts and off the wall anxiety.  Changed to Lexapro in mid December 2020, slow titration from 2.5mg up to 10mg.  After 7 weeks again off the wall anxiety, I did have side effects on all drugs from starting to take them.  I decided to go 'au natural', GP advised to 'lets get it out of your system.' I did 1 week at 5mg and stopped.  Last med was 02 February 2021.  

I honestly did not realise after a short period of time I would experience such high anxiety, suicidal thoughts etc.  I was prescribed Diazepam to manage the symptoms but have only taken 3 when absolutely desperate.

I exercise, cold water swim and take magnesium, st Johns wort, valerian, VIt D and B12 and Omega 3.

Kingfisher86

@Naomi007

I just wanted to say Hi.🙋🏻‍♀️ This is a good place to find support because people truly understand. Things get better.
Sending you a big hug☀️

July 19th 2017—July 2018: 10 mg Escitalopram

August 2018— June 2020: 5 mg Escitalopram

Tapering started:

June 2020—1st of August.

Lowest dose was 5 mg (5 mg every second day for a couple of weeks, then 5 mg twice a week for a couple of weeks, and lastly 5 mg once a week until I stopped)

Drug free: August 1st, 2020

I was on 500mg Metformin for PCOS for the last two years. Stopped on 7th of August 2020.

Supplements:

Magnesium citrate 2x200 mg, Vitamin C 3x1000 mg, Omega3 – 3x1000 mg, Zinc 5mg.

Naomi007

thank you so much for the responses,  it is soooo nice to know I am not alone

I have some good news,  the last month I have slept better than the last year.  I never thought I would ever sleep again

I am holding out hope from everyone that says,  things will get better as my brain learns to come back online

I really want to get off the olanzapine as I am super aware of what this drug can do to me as well

But will go soooooooooooooo slow

Thanks again everyone

I hope I can be helpful to people as I can more windows

getofflex

@Naomi007it sounds like you are on the right track!  I so understand how difficult it is when we can't sleep - I went for a long time with severe insomnia myself.  It's great that you are aware of what these drugs can do to us.  You are wise is deciding to go very slowly.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 02 - 10 mg;  Apr 2 20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10 

• 1 month later...
Naomi007

Hello, wanted to give update

Still struggling with adrenaline surges in chest and stomach,  anxiety, panic still coming and going

Sleep is up and down, some nights sleep so good, other nights terrible

It's 6 months 1 week off AD and Benzos

Still taking 0.85 Olanzapine,  tried to lower to 0.80 and felt so terrible, sucidal

Holding out hope, one day I won't be scared of everything and can get off the olanzapine one day

How is everyone else doing?  Love to hear

Thank you

Naomi

getofflex
Posted (edited)

Hello Naomi, it's good to hear from you.  Congratulations for being off AD's and benzos!  I'm proud of you!  

Your symptoms sound about where I am at now.  

3 hours ago, Naomi007 said:

Still taking 0.85 Olanzapine,  tried to lower to 0.80 and felt so terrible, sucidal

Did you go back to the previous dose of 0.85?  

It sounds like it would help a lot to stay on the current dose of Olanzapine for a good while, and let your system get more stabilized.  I have a note on my bathroom mirror that says 

IMG_0374.jpeg

Edited by getofflex

Naomi007

Hi getoflex,  yes I upped the olanzapine about 1 1/2 week ago,  couldn't handle the anxiety and panic.   Yes, holding this dose, not touching it

it got very dangerous for me

I am still experiencing adrenaline surges, anxiety, panic, especially in AM

Anything that could be helpful?

I am still extremely sensitive to most things

I did an iron infusion last week and it went really well, so that was really positive

I take an adrenal supplement 1/4 capsule once in a while when I feel I can't cope, sometimes this takes the edge off

Any idea, how long this adrenaline feeling will last?

Thank you so much

Naomi

getofflex
17 hours ago, Naomi007 said:

I upped the olanzapine about 1 1/2 week ago,  couldn't handle the anxiety and panic

Did you increase it from 0.8 to 0.85 mg?  What dose are you on now?  Please update your drug signature with each dose change and date of your Olanzapine (and any other drugs), thanks: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.  

What you are describing is classic psych med withdrawal.  Did updosing the Olanzapine help some?  

Your system may be still struggling to find equilibrium after getting off of your previous drugs. That would probably explain why your CNS is so sensitive.  If it were me, I would stay on the current dose of Olanzapine for a while, even for several months.  These things take a lot of time.  Your system may still be trying to adjust to the previous drugs that you got off of, and is probably still unstable.  Read this link, and it explains all the factors that influence WD.  Especially read post #3 of this thread: 

Factors that Affect Withdrawal

18 hours ago, Naomi007 said:

I am still experiencing adrenaline surges, anxiety, panic, especially in AM

Yes, this happens to me too on some days.  It a surge of cortisol in an activated nervous system.  This thread talks about that: 

Morning Cortisol Spike

Hang in there, this will pass, in time.  I know it is challenging and scary.  But our nervous systems will heal eventually.  

Hi,  I am 6 1/2 months off AD.  I am still taking 1 mg Olanzapine, just upped lately from 0.85 to 1mg

I have the most horrific anxiety,  it can last all day and during the night,

I jolt in my sleep from anxiety,  feels like electric shocks

The last month has been the worst so far,

Is it normal that it is getting worse?

I am so confused what is happening to my body and mind

I am terrified to be in my own skin and I can't seem to stop it

I have tried meditation, tapping, diet, deep breathing, Yoga, journalling, walking, distraction, 

Nothing seems to stop it,

So terrified, I won't make it

Thank you

• Administrator

@Naomi007, did you see getofflex's responses to you above?

Please put your questions and updates about your particular situation here in your Intro topic.

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? How do you feel before and after you take each drug?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto

I take one med,  olanzapine at 9pm every night

I was originally prescribed 1mg Olanzapine November 2020 after cold turkey off everything

It really helped me sleep, anxiety appetite , but felt flat in emotion.

For 5 months, I have been slowly reducing this, I got down to .82mg at one point, I was managing, getting some windows

I am severely reactive to medication and supplements now

Recently March 2020, I noticed the med wasn't helping as much, adrenaline surges, panic, fear of nothing extreme

i recently upped to 1mg again (last Friday), and feel really awful, shakes, heart palpitations, severe panic, not sleeping very good

Last night I took 1.15mg and woke after 2 hours with the worst panic ever, felt like I was going to die

Why am I reacting to a medication that I am already taking???

Will this settle down as my body gets used to a bigger dose????

Desperate to settle panic and adrenaline, anxiety

Don't won't to go to hospital

Terrified of Benzos

Thank you

Hello Naomi, it sounds like you are reacting poorly to the reinstatements.  Reinstatement is risky. In some cases it helps, in other cases, it makes things worse.  If it were me, I would go back to the 0.82 mg dose, and stay on that a while until my system stabilizes.  This could take several months.  It's frustrating to wait that long, but it beats the alternative of making the withdrawal even worse.

You asked "Why am I reacting to a medication that I am already taking???"  

Please carefully read this link: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

You say you cold turkeyed from several meds back in November.  This is very hard on the nervous system, and often will sensitize it, so that any changes to psych meds can cause significant WD symtoms.  It can take a long time for the system to recover from a CT.  

Here is quote from altostrata, the founder and owner of the forum, about this: 

When to discontinue reinstatement

• If, upon reinstatement, you very soon feel significantly worse, most likely you are sensitized to the drug and need to take a smaller dosage or, possibly, none at all. You will need to track your daily symptom pattern to see if it's the drug causing your symptoms. If so, they generally will be worse shortly after you take the drug.
  • Sometimes reinstatement does not work. The nervous system has taken such a hard hit from withdrawal, it's destabilized beyond whatever effect the drug might have had.
  • You get an adverse reaction from the drug. Look up your drug at drugs.com to identify known adverse reactions. A rash is always a bad sign. Sometimes an adverse reaction can be eliminated by taking a lower dosage. Do not mistake an adverse reaction for your existing withdrawal symptoms!

Here is the thread on reinstatement.  Please read carefully:  

Reinstatement

Please update your drug signature to indicate the changes you've made to your Olanzapine in the past 5 months, thank you. 

Please hang in there, and know that in time, this will get better.  Please let us know how you are doing. 

Edited by getofflex

ok thank you

I feel a bit better the last 2 days on 1mg,  I am going to hold here

I wish so badly I had known what these meds could do to me

Naomi

If that's the case, then that sounds like a good plan.  If it were me, I would stay on this for a bare minimum of a month, but considering you got off several meds cold turkey late last year, it may even be beneficial to hold for longer.  I also wish I had known when I first got on them.  

Please remember that recovery tends to happen in a non linear fashion.  That is, we have windows where we feel good, and waves where we feel bad.  It is not necessarily suggested to change our drugs when we go into a wave.  (see the link I provided on windows and waves in my first post). 

Edited by getofflex