HelpWanted209: Day 10 without lorazepam

HelpWanted209

Hello.  I was prescribed lorazepam for anxiety.  I've had the medication for well over 5 years.  I had only taken the medication once or twice a month & had been able to stop without issue.   I became more anxious after the loss of my sister and had began taking the lorazepam daily.  This went on for about a month.  I wasn't aware that I was supposed to taper off.   So far I am 10 days without the meds & I am experiencing a lot of withdrawal symptoms.   I could definitely use some support. 

• Shep changed the title to HelpWanted209: Day 10 without lorazepam
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, HelpWanted.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

You can become dependent on a benzodiazepine such as lorazepam in only a few weeks, even with periodic use. Since you took lorazepam periodically, followed by one month every day, you are likely dependent. 

Please reinstate. Benzo reinstatements are safe within a 2 - 4 week time period after coming off, so you are well within that range.

I would start by taking half your usual dose and see if that helps.  Your nervous system may hyper-react if you reinstate the full dose because of the trauma of the cold turkey withdrawal, which left your nervous system extra sensitive. So adding in a smaller amount is the best way to reinstate. You can always updose. 

After you stabilize, you can do a slow and careful taper of no faster than 10% a month, based on the previous month's dose (not the original dose). 

Please let us know how you're feeling.