Helloimhere: could use some help with remeron

Helloimhere

Hi everyone.. thanks for having me.. long story short... I was out on Xanax 4 1/2 years ago at 0.25 and got cold turkeyed at 3 months, I had a terrible reaction to it and have had protracted benzo withdrawal for the last 4 1/2 years... I was out on remeron after I got off benzos because of my terrible insomnia.  At that time I had no idea it was antidepressant.  Anyway.  I have tapered rendering for 3 years from 7.5 down to 0.6.  Things were going fine.  I tapered like this... 7.5 to 7.4 to 7.3 and sometimes if I felt confident I’d taper 7.3 to 7.1... and so on. Well I got low to 1.0 and I tapered to 0.8 and it was tolerable but hard.  I waited about 2 months and tapered to 0.6 and that’s when all the hell broke lose. It took about a week and half for the symptoms to rear their ugly faces....It was way to fast of a cut apparently...the withdrawal was insane.  I talked to my psyc doc and told her how I was tapering and we decided to go to my last stable dose which was 1.2...  I stated to feel better the day after... then 2 days later I felt way worse then I started to feel better and now my withdrawal feels almost as bad as before I updosed.  Not sure where it is all going.  But I feel so exhausted as it has been a long taper and finally at the end I screwed it’s up. I feel like I’m at the beginning.  Any info on stabilizing and how long it may take and the process?

2017 Cold turkey from xanax - 0.2 - only on xanax for 3 months - Protracted withdrawal still to this day.

2017 Remeron instated 7.5 for sleep.

2018 January- started tapering remeron - used scale and tapered 7.5 to 7.4,to 7.3 and so on..... every 2 weeks to a month  - continues taper this way for a few years.

2019 - december. 26 - tapered remeron to 0.8

2021 - February 18 - tapered remeron to 0.6
2021 February 25 - Hydroxazine 50 for inomnia

2021 Mach 1st updosed to 1.0

2021  March 3rd - updosed to 1.2

occasional 100 mg of gabapentin)  usually once a week when things get excruciating

I was told by my psyc doc to updose to the last most stable dose and that was 1.2

• Shep changed the title to Helloimhere: New and could use some help with remeron
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Helloimhere.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

10 hours ago, Helloimhere said:

Well I got low to 1.0 and I tapered to 0.8 and it was tolerable but hard.  I waited about 2 months and tapered to 0.6 and that’s when all the hell broke lose. It took about a week and half for the symptoms to rear their ugly faces....It was way to fast of a cut apparently...the withdrawal was insane.  I talked to my psyc doc and told her how I was tapering and we decided to go to my last stable dose which was 1.2...  I stated to feel better the day after... then 2 days later I felt way worse then I started to feel better and now my withdrawal feels almost as bad as before I updosed.

These last two reductions may have been too much for your sensitive nervous system to handle. Going from 0.8 mg to 1.0 mg was a 20% reduction and going from 0.8 mg to 0.6 mg was a 25% reduction. 

And then updosing back to 1.2 mg, which you hadn't been on for several months, was likely too high a dose. What date did you updose? It's possible you may benefit from reducing the dose, so please let us know more specifics about the timeline (the day and month for your reductions over the past couple of months, as much as you can). 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

More information on the signature is here:

Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in adjusting your most recent updose and answer any questions you may have. 

Thanks, just updated a short timline

2017 Cold turkey from xanax - 0.2 - only on xanax for 3 months - Protracted withdrawal still to this day.

2018 January- started tapering remeron - used scale and tapered 7.5 to 7.4,to 7.3 and so on..... every 2 weeks to a month  - continues taper this way for a few years.

occasional 100 mg of gabapentin)  usually once a week when things get excruciating

I was told by my psyc doc to updose to the last most stable dose and that was 1.2

I uodated my signature 

Im not sure if its to late now to reduse my dose, please help

@Shep

Well im still on the 1.2 - been about 2 weeks.  Not answers so I stayed on it.  Not doing well.   Im so sad the small updose didnt work and make me worse.  Im scared it will get worse.... I stil have to taper the 1.2 t some point and cant imagine doing it in this state

I am a long time benzo WD protracted 4 1/2.... I am used to cutting on a scale... I was tapering remeron for 3 years after a year of being off benzos... I waasnt very good at it as I messed up the taper recently and set myself back real good.  I tapered going from 7.5 to 74 to 7.3 and sometime 7.2 to 7.0 and so on.  Well I made it to 0.6 after 3 years and i never thought that it was a 25% cut from 0.8.  I also before that did a 1.0 to 0.8 cut as well......Well it through me into major withdrawal...  My psyc and I agreed to updose to 1.2 my last stable dose.  Well it didn;t work at all.  I should habe just stayed on 0.6.  So I guess it is a paradoxical reaction.  No idea if I will stabilize but eventually I will have to start to taper again no matter the situation.  I have a gemini 20 scale but its not very stable either... I dont mind spending good money on a scale.. Please any suggestions for a more stable accurate scale.  I wont do liquid and would like to keep on the dry cuts.

THANKS!

(my routine) I do have to work but I work for myself as an ebay reseller

Wake up - if I sleep - 7.45 am - Take dog out

If I work get ready make eggs and leave by 8.20 am

get home by 11;30

lay around, some chores and stuff, till about 1;30

Lunch around 2 - usually baked chicken

Nap , rarely sleep to 3

Shipping for my work till about 4 - Then take dog out

not much till dinner at 6;30

small amount of work at home till evening - Take dog out 9;30

then tv

If I don't work I do computer work most of the day,

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA.  To find them you can use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

Using this method and searching for scale found this topic:

using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses-weighing

Many members use the Gemini 20 scale.  If you do a search for Gemini you will find specific discussion about this.

If you go to the above link and search for Gemini (in This Topic - from drop down after clicking in the site search field) you will find posts just in that topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for the reply, in my post I mentioned that I already have a Gemini and I’m looking for something more stable than that. Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Some drugs are available in prescription liquid and some drugs can be made into a liquid.

See this topic Post #1 for a list of links to tips for tapering various drugs:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

@brassmonkey any suggestions about scales or tips about using the Gemini scale?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Unless you invest in a lab grade scale for several thousand dollars there isn't much else available. All the less expensive scales are pretty much the same and there are no midrange ones. Fresh batteries may help, work on a solid surface like a kitchen counter, avoid all drafts maybe even set up a "wind screen" around them. Use the calibration weight and TARE to bring them into the middle of their range for more accuracy. The very small doses are a pain to try and measure because the scales will only work well down to 4mgpw (milligrams pill weight). From there down you will have to start doing visual divisions,, which isn't all that accurate or try switching to a liquid form which is much easier to control.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Ive been tapering remeron for a long time, and now Im at 1.2mg.  Or the same as 0.0012 g.  I cut to big recently when I was at 1.0 and went to 0.8 and it was terrible.  I am now back to the 1.2 and going to stabilize there for a while.  Is there a more sensitive way to use the scale other than the mode "G"?  Id like to go between 1.2 and 1.1 to maybe taper from 1.2 to 1.1.5 - not sure if that is wriitedn right/  I don;t want to go liquid... Ive been dry tapering happily for 3 years now and would like to keep it that way.

• Moderator Emeritus

Before creating a new topic please do a search to see if one already exists on that subject.  SA likes to keep similar information in one topic so that it is easier for members to find.  Use a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

Here is the existing topic:

using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses-weighing

• Moderator Emeritus

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Administrator
On 3/24/2021 at 2:37 PM, Helloimhere said:

Ive been tapering remeron for a long time, and now Im at 1.2mg.  Or the same as 0.0012 g.  I cut to big recently when I was at 1.0 and went to 0.8 and it was terrible.  I am now back to the 1.2 and going to stabilize there for a while.  Is there a more sensitive way to use the scale other than the mode "G"?  Id like to go between 1.2 and 1.1 to maybe taper from 1.2 to 1.1.5 - not sure if that is wriitedn right/  I don;t want to go liquid... Ive been dry tapering happily for 3 years now and would like to keep it that way.

@Helloimhere Is there a reason you have not been tapering with a liquid? See Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Helloimhere: could use some help with remeron
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you feel better now? How long did it take before you felt stable at 1,2?

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:13 

Mirtazapine:

START:7,5 mg - December 28th 2020

ALMOST CTcut 15 mg into 7 pieces: March 9th, last tiny piece: March 15th

REINSTATE :7,5 mg: March 23th

‘SLOW’ TAPER (-0,1 each day): 7,4mg:March 29th-7,0 mg:April 2nd till April 24th

REINSTATE:7,5 mg: April 25th

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@Helloimhere

I have moved your post to this topic:

using-a-scale-to-weigh-and-measure-doses

Alto asked why you were not using a liquid to taper.

It is possible to my your own liquid.  From Post #1 of the Tips for Tapering Remeron topic:

On 4/11/2012 at 10:07 AM, Altostrata said:

Make your own liquid from a tablet

To taper, many people make liquids from mirtazapine tablets themselves. While water solubility of mirtazapine is "slight" according to http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00370 you can make a suspension of it yourself with a tablet and water or a pharmaceutical liquid such as Ora-Plus. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

On 2/10/2021 at 4:30 AM, Nomansland said:

I found some german documents that state that the normal mirtazapine/remeron tablets can be made into a suspension ("normally" for patients who are not able to swallow and need a stomach probe). So i will just share these documents with you.

(to see the links to the documents mentioned, click on the gray arrow in the upper left of the quote.)

Refrigerate the DIY suspension for up to 5 days, then discard.

This is the link to the post by Nomansland quoted inside the above quote (I am not sure if the arrow link he mentioned will appear once I submit my reply).