JessSbal: Took 3 pills (10 mg) of citalopram

JessSbal

Hello everyone, I'd like to thank in advance for reading this.

Last week I took 3 half-pills of Citalopram (10 mg). I have mild depression, and this was given me to help psychotherapy.

The first night, I only had insomnia and the next day I felt my libido at zero, so I look up better the side effects, and found about PSSD and this group. I started feeling very anxious and couldn't sleep. 5 days have passed, still have anxiety and insomnia, and know I kinda feel apathetic and can't have an orgasm.

I can't understand if I had an adverse reaction to the drug or if the most of it it's psychosomatic. I read in different forums that insomnia, anxiety and low libido are common site effects that ware off after two weeks, but honestly after all that I've read I don't think the risk is worth the benefit.

Do you have any advice?

Also, I'm a medical student. I knew the side effects because i did psychiatry last year. We weren't told that side effects would be so present and that the sexual ones were so frequent (or could be irriversibile). They told us of withdrawal, but that everything would be okay if you tapered off lightly (and that's not clearly true). I really feel sorry for all I've read.

Edited by Gridley

10 mg of Citalopram for three days

10/03/2021: insomnia

11/03/2021: insomnia and a bit of anxiety, low libido

12/03/2021: insomnia, anxiety and anorgasmia

stopped taking them at this point. Currently have a bit of apathy (but still cry), a bit of anxiety, insomnia, low libido and anorgasmia

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, JessSbal.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  In your case it would be very simple: the dates and dosages of the three days you took the Citalopram, when you stopped and the nature of your symptoms, the dates they appeared and your current symptoms as of present.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I can't say, of course, whether your symptoms are psychosomatic, but they sound very much to me like an adverse reaction to the drug.  This means the drug is basically poison to your system.  You will heal but unfortunately we can't predict how long it will take.  The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to those of withdrawal, and the symptoms you describe are typical of adverse reaction/withdrawal.

Immediate adverse reactions to an antidepressant or within a ...

If you only took the drug for three days, there is no need to taper it (and continue putting something in your body that it apparently reacts very negatively to).  You can simply stop taking the drug.  It takes a month of taking an antidepressant before you are at risk of withdrawal symptoms and you are nowhere near that point.

We recommend non-drug coping skills to deal with symptoms like mild depression, which really are a part of the human condition.  Our experience on this site runs counter to what you will learn in medical school about psychiatric drugs.

Before the advent of the money-making invention of SSRI's, depression was regarded as a self-correcting condition that resolved without the dangers of pharmaceutical intervention.  I wish I'd known this when I started Lexapro many years ago to deal with situational depression.  Robert Whitaker in his book, Anatomy of an Epidemic (which we highly recommend), found that those who avoided or stopped psychiatric drugs did better long term than those who continued taking them.

Here's a video book trailer by the author, Robert Whitaker:

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to JessSbal: Took 3 pills (10 mg) of citalopram
7 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, JessSbal.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  In your case it would be very simple: the dates and dosages of the three days you took the Citalopram, when you stopped and the nature of your symptoms, the dates they appeared and your current symptoms as of present.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I can't say, of course, whether your symptoms are psychosomatic, but they sound very much to me like an adverse reaction to the drug.  This means the drug is basically poison to your system.  You will heal but unfortunately we can't predict how long it will take.  The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to those of withdrawal, and the symptoms you describe are typical of adverse reaction/withdrawal.

Immediate adverse reactions to an antidepressant or within a ...

If you only took the drug for three days, there is no need to taper it (and continue putting something in your body that it apparently reacts very negatively to).  You can simply stop taking the drug.  It takes a month of taking an antidepressant before you are at risk of withdrawal symptoms and you are nowhere near that point.

We recommend non-drug coping skills to deal with symptoms like mild depression, which really are a part of the human condition.  Our experience on this site runs counter to what you will learn in medical school about psychiatric drugs.

Before the advent of the money-making invention of SSRI's, depression was regarded as a self-correcting condition that resolved without the dangers of pharmaceutical intervention.  I wish I'd known this when I started Lexapro many years ago to deal with situational depression.  Robert Whitaker in his book, Anatomy of an Epidemic (which we highly recommend), found that those who avoided or stopped psychiatric drugs did better long term than those who continued taking them.

Here's a video book trailer by the author, Robert Whitaker:

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Thank you for your advice and links. Hope it'll feel better soon.

You're all doing such a great job at helping people!

stopped taking them at this point. Currently have a bit of apathy (but still cry), a bit of anxiety, insomnia, low libido and anorgasmia

10 hours ago, JessSbal said:

Hello everyone, I'd like to thank in advance for reading this.

Last week I took 3 half-pills of Citalopram (10 mg). I have mild depression, and this was given me to help psychotherapy.

The first night, I only had insomnia and the next day I felt my libido at zero, so I look up better the side effects, and found about PSSD and this group. I started feeling very anxious and couldn't sleep. 5 days have passed, still have anxiety and insomnia, and know I kinda feel apathetic and can't have an orgasm.

I can't understand if I had an adverse reaction to the drug or if the most of it it's psychosomatic. I read in different forums that insomnia, anxiety and low libido are common site effects that ware off after two weeks, but honestly after all that I've read I don't think the risk is worth the benefit.

Do you have any advice?

Also, I'm a medical student. I knew the side effects because i did psychiatry last year. We weren't told that side effects would be so present and that the sexual ones were so frequent (or could be irriversibile). They told us of withdrawal, but that everything would be okay if you tapered off lightly (and that's not clearly true). I really feel sorry for all I've read.

Clever u stopped them fast. Don’t put another one in ur mouth ever again. When u become a doctor make sure to inform patients about the detrimental effects of these drugs. I am a neuroscientist and I never remember during my school years learning how wrong things can go with ADs... the textbooks talked about couple of weeks of withdrawal...... lies lies lies . I am sure u will recover since u only took for three days, just take no more. Don’t fall into the trap that doctors say “be brave , push through the first weeks and side effects will go away” not true for many of us.

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• Administrator

Welcome, @JessSbal

Since you took only 3 10mg doses and stopped, you probably will very gradually recover over some months. 

It sounds like maybe you had an immediate adverse reaction to this SSRI. It's probably not a good idea for you to take antidepressants. Sexual dysfunction is a very, very common adverse effect of these drugs.

Many people find these to be helpful:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

5 hours ago, JesusSavemefromWD said:

Clever u stopped them fast. Don’t put another one in ur mouth ever again. When u become a doctor make sure to inform patients about the detrimental effects of these drugs. I am a neuroscientist and I never remember during my school years learning how wrong things can go with ADs... the textbooks talked about couple of weeks of withdrawal...... lies lies lies . I am sure u will recover since u only took for three days, just take no more. Don’t fall into the trap that doctors say “be brave , push through the first weeks and side effects will go away” not true for many of us.

I hope the effects will stop soon. I slept only 3 hours tonight (I feel I'm physically tired but then I got to bed and my mind is awake). 

Yeah I just felt like they weren't for me and that they were too risky, so I stopped. Honestly kinda disappointed in medicine rn.

42 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @JessSbal

Since you took only 3 10mg doses and stopped, you probably will very gradually recover over some months. 

It sounds like maybe you had an immediate adverse reaction to this SSRI. It's probably not a good idea for you to take antidepressants. Sexual dysfunction is a very, very common adverse effect of these drugs.

Many people find these to be helpful:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

Thank you so much for the info!

Hello, just checking in. Sleeping okay, no anxiety, but still have sexual problems (I think I also got less genital sensitivity) and the apathy (or anhedonia? Not sure of the difference.)

I cry a lot (but don't feel sad???) because I'm scared I'm not gonna get better. Also it's hard to find recovery stories of adr of only a few doses.

I'm thinking of a lot of people I've read here and you're all so strong💞

• 3 months later...

@JessSbal how are you now ? 

2018 - Zoloft for 5 days then CT due to severe nausea , no severe withdrawals and no adverse reaction.

OCT 2020- vitamin D (5000iu) -which I know now is too high dosage and looking back it now I realize it was causing mood issues, which led me to search for ADs.

2021 - Paxil 3 days  (Feb 16,17,18)CT due to severe nausea ( side note day of CT I got my second dose of covid 19 vaccine which could have further destabilized my CNS) then 4 weeks later severe adverse reaction that included every single WD symptom on here.

2021- month out ( April 05, 07)not knowing what was going on went to ER twice and was placed on hydroxyzine and Reglan (anti-nausea) ( which I know now affects serotonin levels also) nothing helped.

Then went to two different psychiatrists one who referred me to GI for the nausea denying Paxil had anything to do with my symptoms, the second one prescribed me Buspirone Klonopin, and Trazadone ( I refused to take neither , thank God) I had feeling it still was the Paxil.

April 30th -CT everything Bc nothing was helping and miraculously found this website SA and saw every symptom I was going through.

Currently no drugs, only fish oil in the evenings. !!!