Baumer: awful experience switching venlafaxine manufacturer

Baumer

Hello everyone, newbie here. From what I have read so far there is a lot of good info here. Here is my story:

June 2016 - put on 37.5 mg of venlafaxine, doctor upped the dose to 75 mg a few weeks later
February 2017 - increased dose to 150 mg as I was dealing with the death of my mother.
December 2019 - started tapering by weighing the beads and taking away 10% every 4 weeks or more sometimes
February 2021 - I had weaned myself down to roughly 37.5mg. I had a prescription refilled and was told that it was from a different manufacturer. Instead of tiny beads they had 3 tablets inside the capsule. I didn’t do my research and assumed I could just cut the tablets and weigh them like I did with the beads. I later found out that cutting the tablets basically makes them immediate release instead of extended release. I started taking these pills feb. 25 and ended up taking myself into the emergency department on March 4 with severe nausea, panick attacks and could not eat. I was given a prescription for 37.5 mg again. I was also given 50 mg of Zoloft which I did not use. Went to see my family doctor on March 9 and he basically said I dropped to fast by using the new manufacturer pills. He gave me a prescription for Ativan which I did not use. I started counseling the same day. Went back to family doctor March 15 as I was still not eating and started having diarrhea. He told me to wait it out as it would take time for the new manufacturer pills to kick in. It is now March 19, I don’t have the nausea or diarrhea anymore and my appetite is starting to come back. Having some troubles sleeping and feel real lethargic and having some anxiety and headaches. Been off work for 3 weeks. I was able to get my pharmacy to get a venlafaxine brand with the beads but I am now scared to switch back as I feel the switching of manufacturers had a part in making me so sick. I would like to switch back so I will be able to continue tapering with the beads when I get back to feeling somewhat normal again. I have two young children that I have to say no to often when they want to play and my wife has been basically doing everything around the house and working full time as well since I can’t get the energy most days to help out. I am hoping this goes away soon so I can get back to helping around the house and back to work. I am really worried when I switch back to the beads that I will get this sick again and that I will be this sick when I eventually start tapering also. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

June 2016 - started 37.5mg venlafaxine xr, increased to 75mg a few weeks later.

February 2017 - increased dose to 150mg to help deal with death of my mother.

November 2019 - started tapering by weighing beads and removing 10% monthly

February 2021 - made it down to just below 37.5 mg when my pharmacist changed  venlafaxine manufacturer to having tablets in capsules instead of beads.

March 4 2021 - ended up in emergency department with terrible side effects as I thought I could just cut and weigh the tablets like I did with the beads. Reinstated to 37.5 mg

March 19 2021 - still feeling the effects but slowly getting better

• Administrator

Welcome, Baumer.

Yes, when you cut up the mini-tablets inside a venlafaxine XR capsule, they will release the drug much faster, like immediate-release venlafaxine. If you're not used to this, it could cause nausea and so forth. We advise people taking immediate-release venlafaxine to take it at least twice a day. See Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor) 

What is your current daily drug schedule, with dosages for each?

If your current brand of venlafaxine XR is causing you problems, if you can't get your original brand, you might as well switch to the venlafaxine XR brand containing the tiny beads and taper the way that worked for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been on the XR brand the whole time. I used the TEVA brand with the beads until they discontinued and my pharmacist went with ACT brand that has the small tablets. That’s when I cut the tablets without knowing they became immediate release. Since I went to the emergency department I have been on 37.5 mg of the ACT XR brand. My pharmacist was able to get me another brand (Auro) that has the tiny beads so I switched to that a few days ago. I am still feeling the effects of the 3 or 4 days that I took the cut up tablets that made them immediate release. I never had anxiety like this even before I started this drug. I don’t sleep well, nauseous quite often, diarrhea most days, feel real lazy, I don’t have the appetite I use to, I can’t go to work. I never had any issues the year and a half while I was tapering from 150mg to just below 37.5mg, just a little fatigue. I thought that being back on 37.5 I would stable out fairly soon as I was only on those tablets for a few days. It’s been 3 weeks and I am still having withdrawal symptoms. My doctor wants up my dose to 75mg but I don’t want to because I have worked hard to get down to where I am and if I do go back up I am worried I will still have these symptoms. Not sure what to do at this point. I have always taken my pill when I first wake up in the morning and felt good all day and part of the next day. Now, I still take it in the morning but feel sick most of the morning and feel a lot better in the evenings. Not sure what to do at this point, if I should wait it out a little bit longer or up my dose. Any advice is greatly appreciated 

February 2021 - made it down to just below 37.5 mg when my pharmacist changed  venlafaxine manufacturer to having tablets in capsules instead of beads.

March 4 2021 - ended up in emergency department with terrible side effects as I thought I could just cut and weigh the tablets like I did with the beads. Reinstated to 37.5 mg

• Administrator
On 3/22/2021 at 7:23 AM, Baumer said:

It’s been 3 weeks and I am still having withdrawal symptoms.

Your withdrawal symptoms haven't changed while you've been taking the Auro brand with tiny beads? That's been only a few days, correct?

On 3/22/2021 at 7:23 AM, Baumer said:

Now, I still take it in the morning but feel sick most of the morning and feel a lot better in the evenings.

It's a good sign you're feeling some benefit. I'd give it a couple of weeks before thinking about an increase -- by a few beads. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been taking the new brand with the beads for about a week now. I am feeling way better and am hoping to go back to work next week if I keep feeling better. Going to remain on the 37.5 dose for awhile before I start tapering again. The only issues I am having now is insomnia which I have never really had before which makes me exhausted throughout the day.