SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Phoenixmama: cold turkey after 3 weeks on Celexa

Phoenixmama

• Moderator Emeritus

If the windows (feeling good) are longer than the waves (feeling bad), that is a very good sign. 

I don't know for sure if taking an omega 3 capsule can cause the symptoms you are describing.  If it has not caused these symptoms in the past, I doubt that it is causing them after missing it for 2 days.  Omega 3 doesn't cause the changes to the nervous system the way psych meds do.  

The feeling of doom could be caused by your system still going through withdrawal from the Celexa.  It could very well be a wave.  Here is a link about windows and waves: 

Windows and Waves

Hang in there.  It gets better, slowly, with time.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you @getofflex I took a hot shower and I feel fresh but im

having like a surge of adrenaline or something and im

shaking inside 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

What if the windows are longer then the waves ? Today I took a omega three after not taking it for a couple days and after I took it I felt nausea and doom , I was feeling fine before this . Is it a wave ? I haven’t had one this bad before , feeling of doom and like a fever 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

I’m feeling better now , I feel like im

landing with a little headache 

currently taking mag

Called in work todaY , woke up with nausea, sadness , Hot sweats , I’m afraid I’m going to lose my job , I did apply for fmla to be able to take two days off a week that would be protected but I need 1250 hours worked in the last 12 months and I only have 1060... 

currently taking mag

Called in work todaY , woke up with nausea, sadness , Hot sweats , I’m afraid I’m going to lose my job , I did apply for fmla to be able to take two days off a week that would be protected but I need 1250 hours worked in the last 12 months and I only have 1060... 

currently taking mag

Hi I don’t know where to ask this question on this site , my boyfriend passed away from leukemia last aug 2020 and I’m wondering if it’s a bad thing to revisit our memories like pictures videos ect during withdraw ? I know I will cry and everytime I cry I feel good , I have often been dreaming about him a lot since I stopped taking celexa , it’s not sad or scary dreams but a nice calming feeling , please help I’m trying to do things that can help me get through this with draw and under everything 

currently taking mag

Hi I had a similar reaction with Citalopram and stopped under 2 weeks, I stupidly tried 2 other types for a very short time, I never had any of this before I touched a pill, now I have a constant feeling in my stomach of dread can’t shift it, can’t eat or sleep

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

started in January now off work 3 months 

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

barely eating no appetite

fever on and off

I’m so sorry , it’s so crazy that these pills can do this to us , I can sleep but I wake up 2 times a night and wake up at 5:30 am so early , I also have no appetite and go through different feelings it’s such a roller coaster 

currently taking mag

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Phoenixmamaso sorry to hear you’re part of this club now, especially while taking care of a little one on your own. I left an update on my progress on my topic, but I’m afraid it’s not very encouraging this time around. The one thing that helps me at this point is that I’ve had so many ups and downs over the last year - and it’s been many more ups lately - that I know things will turn around for the better. I noticed that in one of your posts you said it felt like you had been poisoned, and that’s exactly how I would have described my situation when all of my symptoms first started. I do believe 3 weeks is more than enough time to cause withdrawals, but hopefully you will have a much shorter journey until you recover. Keep us posted on how you’re doing!

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Phoenixmana: cold turkey after 3 weeks on Celexa

Thank you much , I’m six weeks out and the last three have been bad , I don’t know when I’m having windows and waves anymore  everything’s just together and today I had some Asian food that might have had some msg in it and after I felt so irritated and mean and I was so irritated with my daughter I just hid under my blanket and told her I was taking a nap , because I don’t like who I am at the moment... 

currently taking mag

9 hours ago, Phoenixmama said:

Thank you much , I’m six weeks out and the last three have been bad , I don’t know when I’m having windows and waves anymore  everything’s just together and today I had some Asian food that might have had some msg in it and after I felt so irritated and mean and I was so irritated with my daughter I just hid under my blanket and told her I was taking a nap , because I don’t like who I am at the moment... 

it really is so difficult to handle, I have this dull ache nervous feeling around my stomach and chest it really drives me mad, tried magnesium and feel worse

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

I’m so sorry your going through this too , I just woke up from a terrible nights sleep... now I’m just here sweating and having anxiety and anxious thoughts and I have to get up for work and to send my daughter off to daycare 

currently taking mag

Must be so difficult, hopefully it eases soon for you 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

For the last three days I’ve been having anxiety like no other , having a feeling of meanness inside me , insomnia It’s now been 6 weeks that I stopped celexa after only using it for 3 weeks . I have a little girl that I keep hiding from because I don’t wanna be snappy or not fun with... is there any single parents out there going through this or has been through it .. I thought I went through the worse of it already but I guess not... I could really use some encouraging words right now , instead that it’s all in my head , HELP I know I haven’t done my signature yet but I tried and it kept saying it’s not right and I have no patients nor the mind to figure it out , I live in a home with my family six other people and I’m suffering in silence and really trying not to fold with all of these exhausted feelings and just don’t want to give up my life 

currently taking mag

Is it possible to have waves and windows hours apart , because I will feel good for a couple hours then bad the next , couple of weeks ago they were spread out more 

currently taking mag

yay!!!! i did my sig!!!!

currently taking mag

is there any success stories from people who where only on an ssri for a short time and healed ????/

currently taking mag

I’m really feeling down right now , the back of my head/brain is burning and throbbing and I feel very ill like nauseous, is this normal for withdraw ???? @pug please help 

currently taking mag

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I have t heard back from anyone on here , I would love some help please 

currently taking mag

@SandCastle can you maybe tell me what I’m doing wrong on this site ? I shared some of my feelings and no one has commented , I’m in a dark place now with a little one and I’m so scared , please help 

currently taking mag

Hi @Phoenixmama I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. I can tell you that for me the first three months were the worst because I hardly got any reprieve and I constantly questioned if it was really withdrawal I was going through or something else. It was not unusual for me to feel worse in some areas and better in others then to have everything be worse again all in the same day. I analyzed every moment like, “Ok, I think I’m getting better. Nope, there’s that numb feeling again, this is definitely a neurological disorder!” There is a lot of advice about diet, supplements, giving up alcohol or caffeine, and I think all that can help, but the majority of your recovery will depend on time. It did help me to write down all the symptoms, including everything I could remember from the beginning, and focus on the ones that were gone or gradually improving. I think this can be difficult for some people because they have to revisit that time, and you may even be at that point where you feel like nothing has improved, but eventually you’ll start checking boxes off the list. And yes, nausea and weird feelings in my head were normal for me while going through this.

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

@SandCastle thanks so  much for your reply , i'm having an even worse time today crying at work i feel so lost and done... , i dont drink alcohol or coffee , and i stopped taking supplements because im so scared they will set me back in withdraw , this is really my lowest point in withdraw , its mostly how i feel emotionally , this is hell!!!! 

currently taking mag

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/13/2021 at 5:45 PM, Phoenixmama said:

I could really use some encouraging words right now , instead that it’s all in my head

Hello phoenix, I'm sorry that we have not been responding lately.  This forum is run by volunteers who are also recovering from WD.  I would like to encourage you by saying that I truly believe you will get better.  This AD WD is the most difficult thing many of us will ever go through.  However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel (And no, it's not the headlight of an oncoming train 😉). Try reading some of the success stories in the forum. Healing takes a long time, it can take months, or even years.  I've been at it for over 3.5 years, but I feel so much better now than I did when I started out.  

Thank you for doing you sig!  It's looks great, and concise and easy to understand. 🙂

On 4/13/2021 at 7:15 PM, Phoenixmama said:

Is it possible to have waves and windows hours apart

Absolutely.  

On 4/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, Phoenixmama said:

I’m really feeling down right now , the back of my head/brain is burning and throbbing and I feel very ill like nauseous, is this normal for withdraw ????

Yes, these are typical withdrawal symptoms.  Here is a link with a list of WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullens Withdrawal Symptom checklist

On 4/14/2021 at 10:42 AM, Phoenixmama said:

is there any success stories from people who where only on an ssri for a short time and healed

But I Only Took it for a Short Time

There is a slew of success stories on here.  Go to the home page, and you will see a section at the bottom.  The good news is, since you were on it a short time, it will probably take you less time to heal that it did those of us who were on it for years or decades.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

@getofflex thank you so much for your reply , I feel so blessed for your response ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

currently taking mag

Hi.  Welcome to SA, Phoenix.  I’m very sorry for the loss of your boyfriend.

My daughter was 5 when I stopped taking Zoloft.  It’s tough to be a mother through this.  I’m glad you live with other family members.  What I found to help was that if I felt well enough in a window, I tried to spend time with my daughter.  We did crafts or played with her toys, colored, or watched very calm kids shows.  (Puffin Rock and Tumbleleaf.)  Much of the time, I had to take care of her regardless of how I felt, because she wanted me, but my husband was there for us, too.  She started to rely on him more after a while.  

The evenings are better for most of us in this state.  All the activating hormones are abnormally high in the day, and they settle down in the evening for some of us.  So, I would read my daughter a story every night.  We would snuggle and talk then.  “Audible” has books that read to you, if that is easier for you.  We read the same books over and over.  We had Mary Poppins on Audible, and she loved that.  

I would go to bed at the same time as she did - 7:30 or 8, (and we slept in the same bed.  I don’t recommend that if you are not all ready doing that, but my daughter felt a lot of comfort because we had done this before, and changing that custom in the midst of my illness wasn’t something I wanted to do.)  So, she had a reliable time that she could be with me every day even if the day was rough.  If I felt crummy, no matter; I kept that time for her.  I think it helped her to not feel abandoned.

Mornings were horrible until at least noon.  The rest of the day was a crap shoot.  I might feel worse or a bit better at any time.  Mornings were filled with terrible, terrible anxiety.  Getting ready to go and getting my daughter ready to go were the most terrible times for both of us.  My anxiety was completely out of control.  There was nothing I could do but disengage and even doing that was hard.  Many days I had to get her ready anyway.

If at all possible, see if another family member can do a lot of the morning work with your daughter especially the rushing her to get ready.  Make sure that you set out everything for the morning the night before.  Clothes, shoes, hairbrush, hair ties, backpack, whatever you need for both of you. Absolutely every last thing you will need.   Searching for things in the morning caused me immense anxiety.  

You may want to cut your daughter’s hair short unless it’s thick and unlikely to tangle.  I did not do this, and I wish I had.  Her hair was one of the most difficult things.  It’s very fine.  If I had cut it short, I would have avoided so many of my own meltdowns.  She would have been furious at first, but that would have been preferable to the alternative.  Otherwise, keep it braided all the time if you leave it long.  No exceptions.  When she’s asleep, on the weekends, all the time.  Wash it, braid it, and never leave it down.

Another thing that going to bed early did for me was that I got more sleep.  I would wake up early every day.  Four, five am. The early morning wake ups are caused by the nervous system being dysregulated.  Each morning, around 4:00 am, a normal person’s cortisol begins to gently rise.  This is in preparation for waking up.  It rises gently, slowly until it reaches a point that wakes us.  For people in dysautonomia, like us, there is a sudden spike in cortisol during the process.  We wake up early and can’t go back to sleep, but we are so anxious that we can’t really do anything with this extra time.  In fact, I spent it worrying about how my day would go after my daughter woke up.  Going for a gentle walk is a good thing to do if you have other people who will stay with your daughter.  A gentle walk every day is very important.  Jogging or working out made me more anxious.

Some people have luck using a sleep mask or blackout curtains to help them avoid the early wake ups.  You should try it.  I didn’t have that luck.  Now, the mask helps me sleep or go back to sleep, but in the beginning it wasn’t useful.  

There are so many other tips I could give you about getting through this with a child.  I will think of more later, but showing love is the most important.  Show her that you love her every chance you get.  I have tried to make sure that whatever happened that day or however grumpy or angry or snappy I had been or would be, I took the time when I felt more human to show her that I loved her.

I hope your course of this illness is much shorter than mine has been, but feel free to write on my thread anytime with any questions you might have.   

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

@Rosetta  Omg THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!! I haven’t finished reading it all 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 Yes my daughter sleeps with me too always has and yes the evenings are ours and yes we do crafts omg I’m so happy you responded , I’m savoring you’re reply , you don’t know what it means to me right now 

currently taking mag

Don’t let my thread scare you.  My situation was made worse by years of mistakes, doctors’s prescriptions, etc. Please don’t read it and think your journey will be anything like mine especially in length.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

I won’t, thanks so much , the 4am wake up call every morning makes more sense  now ... we sleep early 9pm and I have the 2 wake ups in the middle but more so get back to sleep... I can’t express how much better you’ve made me feel , I am not alone anymore 😅

currently taking mag

I lay out everything the night before for our mornings  , she goes to daycare i go to work , she has curly shoulder length hair very easy for me to comb... she is my world 

This Sunday will be my 8th week since i my last dose of celexa , and what feels like to be the worse week , unless i just don't remember how bad it was in the other weeks...

this morning i woke up with nausea really bad , i didn't cry during my commute to work like i have been for the last week and at the moment i dont have that dark doomed " i'm going to be here forever " awful feeling , fingers crossed 

last week i kept feeling like i was going to get a uti but then it would go away then come back , lucky i read someones post that uti could be a withdraw symptom and i didnt take anything for it just drank a lot of water , this week its gone @Rosetta

currently taking mag

I lay out everything the night before for our mornings  , she goes to daycare i go to work , she has curly shoulder length hair very easy for me to comb... she is my world 

This Sunday will be my 8th week since i my last dose of celexa , and what feels like to be the worse week , unless i just don't remember how bad it was in the other weeks...

this morning i woke up with nausea really bad , i didn't cry during my commute to work like i have been for the last week and at the moment i dont have that dark doomed " i'm going to be here forever " awful feeling , fingers crossed 

last week i kept feeling like i was going to get a uti but then it would go away then come back , lucky i read someones post that uti could be a withdraw symptom and i didnt take anything for it just drank a lot of water , this week its gone @Rosetta also i might have been that "someone" who liked your post :) 

currently taking mag

@Rosetta also i cant find your story , can you send me the link please 

currently taking mag

You are not alone at all.  The people on this forum hear your story so often!  A bad reaction, told to keep taking it, your experiences dismissed.  The idea that we have to buck up and power through a bad reaction to a medication is what is crazy.  How it came to this!

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Do you see a link at the top of my drug signature?

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

i dont even see your sig 

currently taking mag

Maybe you are using a phone?  I can see them in my phone, but I don’t know why.  There may be a setting either in SA or on the phone. Idk

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017