Havinghope79: Citalopram adverse reaction. Seeking Same and information please

Havinghope79

Hi. I am new here and not sure if I am posting right. Last year I was put on 20 mg of Citalopram. I used it for 2 weeks and stopped. The burning in my head and body was so bad. Head pressure ect.  Being new to the medicine world I didn’t know my intense anxiety was due to withdraw. I thought I was going crazy and tried it again at a low dose of 10 mg for 30 days. Things were so bad. But I thought it was normal. I had read it gets worse before better !? But my reaction comes to find out was adverse. My Dr CT’d me. No taper. After that I experienced intense head pressure for a month. Shaking when sleeping. Memory loss. Cognitive function loss. Intense anxiety. Cant complete basic tasks. Can’t understand directions. Developed Agoraphobia. Felt like I had dementia. Could not look at pictures of the past. Cant cook. Fear of everything. Constant fight or flight. Sound sensitive. Light sensitive. Feeling so sick. Ect. And this was only after 6 weeks total use. Has this happened to anyone else ? I have searched all over and can’t find anyone. I am now 4 months off. Things are slowly improving. But I still feel so lost. Any advice would be helpful as I have been desperate to find someone who had something similar happen. My Dr’s don’t believe me as they said I wasn’t on it long enough for this to happen. I had a CT and it came back normal :( 

thank you. 

Edited by Gridley

Sept 2020 20mg Citalopram 

C/T’d 2 weeks. Bad side effects. Burning head arms ect. 
November 2020 reinstated Citalopram 10 mg. 28 days. Adverse reaction. Dr. C/T’d me. All hell broke loose. Lost memory, cognitive issues. Feels like dementia. Agoraphobia. I didn’t know what was happening. Still having issues. 
November 2020 Amatriptyline 5 mg 2 weeks. C/T
February 2021 75 Effexor Still on 

February 2021 1 mg Ativan. Tapering. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Havinghope79.

As you've figured out, you had an adverse reaction to the Citalopram, which basically means the drug is poison to your system.  We have several members dealing with adverse reactions to psychiatric drugs, so you are by no means alone. 

Immediate adverse reactions to an antidepressant or within a ...

The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to those of withdrawal, which you're likely also experiencing due to your cold turkey of citalopram.  A person is at risk of withdrawal symptoms after a month on a psychiatric drug.  The symptoms you describe are typical of withdrawal/adverse reaction.  You will recover and heal, but unfortunately there's no way to predict how long it will take.  The fact that things are slowly improving is a very encouraging sign.  

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

Regarding the Ativan, physiological dependency on a benzodiazepine can result from 2 to 4 weeks of regular use and also from intermittent use, so you are likely dependent.  It's your call, but you might want to hold where you are on the Ativan until your stabilize further from your reactions to the Citalopram.  If you do taper, we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to Havinghope79: Citalopram adverse reaction. Seeking Same and information please

Thank you for your reply. Yes unfortunately I was thrown into all of these medications not knowing what was happening by my Dr and Pshyc. I am terrified now after I have learned of the Ativan and dependence. That is why I am trying to taper off. I didn’t know anything about any of this until to late. So holding on the Ativan would be a good idea ? I already feel it in between doses and it’s awful :( I will check out the information that you gave me. I am not stuck this way forever ? That’s my biggest fear. I am just so scared :( thank you 

November 2020 reinstated Citalopram 10 mg. 28 days. Adverse reaction. Dr. C/T’d me. All hell broke loose. Lost memory, cognitive issues. Feels like dementia. Agoraphobia. I didn’t know what was happening. Still having issues. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Havinghope79 said:

So holding on the Ativan would be a good idea ?

It's something to weigh and consider.  Our general advice to members who are on more than one drug is to taper the more activating drug first (this would include Effexor) and leave the more sedating drug (benzos like Ativan)to help with sleep to be tapered later.  I know you're not tapering Effexor now, nor am I suggesting it (the most important thing right now is to stabilize from the adverse reaction/withdrawal from citalopram).  If you're already dependent on the Ativan (which from what you posted you are) and if the important consideration now is to stabilize from the effects of the citalopram (which it is), then holding steady on the Ativan might be a good idea.  I know you want to get off the Ativan, and if you decide to go that route, that's fine, but these are some considerations for you. (Just be sure you have a prescription source for the Ativan.)

No, you are not stuck this way forever, with respect to the the citalopram or the effexor or the Ativan.  You can get off all of them.  Just do it step by step and slowly.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

It sounds like I am just in such a mess. I just want to cry. I have got a very long road ahead of me it sounds like. I don’t even know how to taper the Effexor. And if I tell my Phsyc about wanting to taper I am afraid he will do it to fast. I have been wanting too. Because I don’t feel I need it. They just threw it at me because of the constant anxiety. Which I know now was because of the adverse reaction to the Citalopram. This is all so frightening. Thank you for the advice. I want off all of this stuff... :( I am feeling absolutely hopeless at the moment and just crying :( 

Read my story please, they are very similar and same drug as well. I can give you any help you need. Been 1 year off for me.

January -February celexa 40mg for 11 days. Adverse reaction cold turkey

April-May Zoloft for 30 days cold turkey. 

No further meds since then

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

I just read your story. Sounds similar to me. :( And congrats on working again. I am no where near to the point I can. I have such bad anxiety and my fight or flight doesn’t want to shut off. My mind doesn’t want to work the greatest. It’s so hard. My memory is crap. Starting to get some back though. I feel like my previous life was a dream before this. Thank you for responding. How are you doing now ? 

I can understand the feelings of the past seems like a dream. Im doing better nowadays but still have effects. Just anything you need to know feel free to ask. There's just to much to put into an answer, so any question you have feel very free to ask. Even if its about every symptoms you have 

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

Thank you for responding. Did you have insane anxiety? Like constant fight or flight. Do you mind if I message you later ? Thank you. 

Yes I did, I had it really horrible. It did ease away. But I stayed scared and worried but looking back I kinda had a reason too in away, your whole life has just been turned upside down and something looking back was just chemical induced anxiety by the celexa. And yes message me anytime I will reply asap. Im on here everyday 

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

This sounds very similar to me, was only on it under 2 weeks, was given buspirone to try couldn’t handle it then trazodone because I couldn’t sleep, now 5 weeks later I’m worse than ever😢

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

started in January now off work 3 months 

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

barely eating no appetite

fever on and off

I am so sorry. It also looks like they threw you a Med cocktail like they did me afterwards. I am now on Effexor and tapering Ativan. I am just over 4 months now and I see small improvements. Little by Little. I have been in therapy. It has been absolutely hell. And now I am tapering Ativan and that’s a nightmare all over again. I don’t want to discourage. But it sounds like this is something that’s going to take a while to heal from for both of us. :( From everything I read and a couple people I talked to who had the same. How did you do with your C/T from the lorazepam? I am wanting to just stop taking it. But really iffy on what just happened to me with the Citalopram withdraw :( 

Hopefully one day we will see a commercial for compensation for these drugs ! It’s turned my life upside down.  

22 minutes ago, Havinghope79 said:

I am so sorry. It also looks like they threw you a Med cocktail like they did me afterwards. I am now on Effexor and tapering Ativan. I am just over 4 months now and I see small improvements. Little by Little. I have been in therapy. It has been absolutely hell. And now I am tapering Ativan and that’s a nightmare all over again. I don’t want to discourage. But it sounds like this is something that’s going to take a while to heal from for both of us. :( From everything I read and a couple people I talked to who had the same. How did you do with your C/T from the lorazepam? I am wanting to just stop taking it. But really iffy on what just happened to me with the Citalopram withdraw :( 

Hopefully one day we will see a commercial for compensation for these drugs ! It’s turned my life upside down.  

This is now the worst I’ve been I don’t know what’s going on but the constant dread feeling in my stomach has been there for a few weeks after stopping, I have no hunger now which is so worrying and a constant shake, I’ve been prescribed diazepam and a sleeping pill but really don’t want to touch them, wish everyday I hadn’t touched a thing, felt stressed in work and not very well but I could function I had feelings, never had a panic attack until the Citalopram I should have stopped right after that and never touched the other stuff 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

Don’t touch anything else ! Esp the Diazepam. That is another benzo ! And will take tapering off of. I so wish they would not of have me Ativan. I have constant anxiety and feelings of dread. They say it goes away after the CNS calms down. When we are switched on and off of drugs in a short amount of time and C/T’d. We put are body and brain in a lot of shock. I was severe in my adverse reaction. I could not even look at pictures from the past without having a anxiety attack. My head was constant pressure. Very confused. Slow thinking. I had so many symptoms. And I still do. My appetite is just now starting to come back. I was so sick and weak. MAKE YOURSELF EAT. STAY AWAY FROM CAFFINE. It will make things 100 times worse. I never had any of this until Citalopram.... 

6 minutes ago, Havinghope79 said:

Don’t touch anything else ! Esp the Diazepam. That is another benzo ! And will take tapering off of. I so wish they would not of have me Ativan. I have constant anxiety and feelings of dread. They say it goes away after the CNS calms down. When we are switched on and off of drugs in a short amount of time and C/T’d. We put are body and brain in a lot of shock. I was severe in my adverse reaction. I could not even look at pictures from the past without having a anxiety attack. My head was constant pressure. Very confused. Slow thinking. I had so many symptoms. And I still do. My appetite is just now starting to come back. I was so sick and weak. MAKE YOURSELF EAT. STAY AWAY FROM CAFFINE. It will make things 100 times worse. I never had any of this until Citalopram.... 

I had to take a sleeping pill zopiclone last night because I went 5 days without barely a sleep, I think I could maybe cope if the stomach and throat dread would go but it’s not, keep thinking I might have got better if I had just stopped Citalopram and never touched another thing, I can’t even work now, yeah wary of the diazepam but feel I will go insane without some sort of relief 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

Just now, Totallylost said:

I had to take a sleeping pill zopiclone last night because I went 5 days without barely a sleep, I think I could maybe cope if the stomach and throat dread would go but it’s not, keep thinking I might have got better if I had just stopped Citalopram and never touched another thing, I can’t even work now, yeah wary of the diazepam but feel I will go insane without some sort of relief 

My anxiety is just constant now as if I’m constantly shaking I don’t know if that’s been the lorazepam or not 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

I wish I would not have touched another drug and rode it out. But I didn’t know anything until it was to late and didn’t know what was happening to me. Now that I have researched I know. If I would have known then I would not of put another drug in my body. I haven’t been able to work since last year and still not able too. It’s killing me. I went so many nights with no sleep. I know how you feel. I would just hate to see you pick up a benzo habit and be in my shoes having to wean off that still suffering the Citalopram injury. I have some days now I am ok. Not great. But I will take ok. And some days where it takes everything I have to focus. Think. Complete tasks. It’s awful. I have been told around the 6-8 month mark is when we see real improvement?? But everyone is different. I make my self do things. I make myself go out. I make myself do a lot of things. CBT therapy is just now starting to help. Another thing is I have accepted that this isn’t a easy or fast fix. And it’s going to take time and work on my part to help myself get better. I fry a lot still. And I don’t trust my Dr or Phsyc at all. I also stay away from negative scary stories on forums. At first I was obsessed with what the hell is wrong with me. I have learned to do my best to take it day be day. That’s all we can do. No pill is going to fix this. Our body needs to heal it’s self. It’s the longest most painful waiting game ever :( 

4 minutes ago, Havinghope79 said:

I wish I would not have touched another drug and rode it out. But I didn’t know anything until it was to late and didn’t know what was happening to me. Now that I have researched I know. If I would have known then I would not of put another drug in my body. I haven’t been able to work since last year and still not able too. It’s killing me. I went so many nights with no sleep. I know how you feel. I would just hate to see you pick up a benzo habit and be in my shoes having to wean off that still suffering the Citalopram injury. I have some days now I am ok. Not great. But I will take ok. And some days where it takes everything I have to focus. Think. Complete tasks. It’s awful. I have been told around the 6-8 month mark is when we see real improvement?? But everyone is different. I make my self do things. I make myself go out. I make myself do a lot of things. CBT therapy is just now starting to help. Another thing is I have accepted that this isn’t a easy or fast fix. And it’s going to take time and work on my part to help myself get better. I fry a lot still. And I don’t trust my Dr or Phsyc at all. I also stay away from negative scary stories on forums. At first I was obsessed with what the hell is wrong with me. I have learned to do my best to take it day be day. That’s all we can do. No pill is going to fix this. Our body needs to heal it’s self. It’s the longest most painful waiting game ever :( 

God I feel your pain, thanks for the reply’s I like the attitude you have, wish I had been offered therapy before a drug, I’ve had 2 sessions and it’s no good for me keeps asking where the trigger for the stress came from in the first place, yes I didn’t feel well before but I could function, I tell him I feel I’ve been poisoned by the Citalopram now I’m just a shell of myself, if the feeling I’ve got in my stomach could shift I think I maybe could get somewhere but seems to be getting worse, I would take every other symptom over this is driving me insane, had a tiny spell in bed last night of feeling hungry, your right about the negative stories they do freak me out 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

7 minutes ago, Totallylost said:

God I feel your pain, thanks for the reply’s I like the attitude you have, wish I had been offered therapy before a drug, I’ve had 2 sessions and it’s no good for me keeps asking where the trigger for the stress came from in the first place, yes I didn’t feel well before but I could function, I tell him I feel I’ve been poisoned by the Citalopram now I’m just a shell of myself, if the feeling I’ve got in my stomach could shift I think I maybe could get somewhere but seems to be getting worse, I would take every other symptom over this is driving me insane, had a tiny spell in bed last night of feeling hungry, your right about the negative stories they do freak me out 

Keep praying this is some sign of recovery that it’s just my system stabilising again

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

Sending prayers ..... this is a ugly road. Will power, strength and determination is what we have to pull out of ourselves like never before

3 minutes ago, Havinghope79 said:

Sending prayers ..... this is a ugly road. Will power, strength and determination is what we have to pull out of ourselves like never before

Thank you, are you still on an ssri? 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

I am on a SNRI. Which I don’t actually need. But it’s Effexor and a NASTY withdraw. I can’t stop taking it. That one takes a long time to come off of. That’s when they “was trying to figure out my anxiety” pill they threw at me. Once again. New to this Med world and didn’t know what was happening. So I got shoved a benzo and that drug. I am going to wean off when I am more stable. 

1 minute ago, Havinghope79 said:

I am on a SNRI. Which I don’t actually need. But it’s Effexor and a NASTY withdraw. I can’t stop taking it. That one takes a long time to come off of. That’s when they “was trying to figure out my anxiety” pill they threw at me. Once again. New to this Med world and didn’t know what was happening. So I got shoved a benzo and that drug. I am going to wean off when I am more stable. 

Really wish you well, hope you feel ok, in this country they only supply small amounts of benzos like a few weeks supply 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

That’s awesome. Here in the U.S. they give them out like candy destroying lives :( I wish you well also. 💕🌈

11 minutes ago, Havinghope79 said:

That’s awesome. Here in the U.S. they give them out like candy destroying lives :( I wish you well also. 💕🌈

Horrible that they can get away with this, thank you hope to speak to you again

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Havinghope79 just read your story there! I’m in a sort of similar situation. I think I had an adverse reaction to lexapro last year. I was on it for only 6 weeks, kept pushing on with it even though I felt awful nearly as soon as I started taking it and developed horrible Symtoms. Finally decided enough was enough. Literally 3 days afterwards I got withdrawals. I’m over 4 months out now and I’m still struggling. You mentioned having a constant fight or flight feeling? I am in the exact same boat! It is my worst symptom by far that has lingered for majority of my withdrawal time! It is constantly with me, some times it gets milder and other times I end up having crying spells because it upsets me so much! It makes me feel constantly on edge and so emotional. I have seen a sort of uphill trend in the past few months, tbh it’s such a blur, but I do believe we have to heal from this eventually. I hope you are going well now! 

October 26th Escitalopram/lexapro 10mg (2 days)

October 28th Escitalopram/lexapro 5mg 

December 4th Escitalopram/lexapro 2.5mg 

December 21st Escitalopram/lexapro 0mg