SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

ScottishLass: hello and some help please

ScottishLass

Hi all.   

Found this site by accident but glad I did. I’m struggling a lot after recently stopping AD’s and so trying to educate myself, encourage a semblance of kindness towards myself 🙄and get a bit of support and a more objective perspective on this bloody difficult journey. Been on Prozac for 25 years and then replaced with Duloxetine/Cymbalta in 2014 (after failed attempts to come off Prozac). During the majority of this time I have had no psych service input other than putting me on and leaving me on AD’s. 

At present - Was on 60mg Duloxetine which I tapered over the last 2 months 🤔 with vague advice from an NHS psychiatrist. This advice now feels very vague and a little dismissive given withdrawal effects and current situation. Anyway, I have been completely off Ad’s for approx 2 weeks. The main symptom during taper- brain zaps, dizziness and irritability.  Then the symptoms seemed to disappear. However the last 2 weeks with no drugs has been like nothing I imagined. It has completely pulled the carpet from under me. Brain zaps that make me so dizzy I feel I could fall, spontaneous and uncontrollable crying, severe insomnia, feeling super anxious and panicked at times and generally odd, a bit removed and frightened of it all. On the plus side I feel less numbed, verbal  fluency is  returning and I  feel a little more hope 🤞 (that this is the right thing and all will be well), relief (that these symptoms that when stopping the drugs had me straight back onto them as ‘I was ill’ were/are actually withdrawal) and an immense sadness that I am only at this point 30 years later and this is sprinkled with a rage (at the psychiatric/pharmaceutical world). Sorry...blaahhh.

I guess I’m looking for someone else to say it will be ok, it gets better, well done. Some kindness. More hope and success stories. I really can’t believe how hard this is. I see that it appears my ‘taper’ was very quick but I do not want to go back on anything and am riding it out.  I feel so isolated as I really don’t feel people who haven’t had this journey really understand. Thanks in advance for any replies. This is so, so damn hard. 

Kind thoughts to you all 🙏🏻

S, Scottish Lass

Prozac 60mg ( 1996-2014) Duloxetine/Cymbalta (2014-March 2021) 

Edited by getofflex
edited at request of OP

Prozac  60mg ( 1998-2014).  

Also between (1998-2000) Short instances on Lithium, Risperidone, Quetiapine, Lamictal. Off all antipsychotics in (2000).  Prozac stopped and switched

Duloxetine(2014-Feb 2021) - after failed withdrawal from Prozac- misdiagnosed as 'Relap

2015 - approx 3 mths  Lamictal 

Duloxetine:(Feb 21) Tapered from 60mg of Duloxetine over approx 6wks. (8th April 2021) Reinstat Duloxetine (1mg)

16/05: Updose Duloxetine (2mg) 6mg Diazepam prn 

20/06: stopped Duloxetine.

Started On 10mg Fluoxetine12/07: Updose 20mg

6/08Switch to liquid fluox 4.5ml/18mg. 20/09: 4ml/16mg

Supplements:Omega,Vit D.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, ScottishLass.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  You can copy the drug information at the end of your post.  Add the mg for the Duloxetine dosage and the dates of your taper.  you'll need to use a computer rather than a phone.  Use the following link, then press "save."

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

To start, I can tell you that indeed it will be ok, it will get better and congratulations for being drug-free.  The symptoms are not permanent and you will heal.  We can't tell you how long it will take but it will happen.  Time is the great healer.  For success stories (and they're great for encouragement), Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org cymbalta duloxetine success stories.  Yes, withdrawal is isolating, but everyone on this site has gone through it or is going through it and we do understand.

You've said you want to ride it out, and that's fine.  If you decide you want to reinstate a very small dosage of cymbalta, let us know and we'll provide information.  Reinstatement is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal and is best done as soon as possible after stopping the drug.  Please don't reinstate without letting us know so we can suggest a dosage, which would be very small.

It's great that you feel less numbed and verbal fluency is returning.  The symptoms you describe are very typical of withdrawal.  So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to ScottishLass: Hello and some help please.

Hi @ScottishLass

Just wanted to hi as I'm a fellow Scot from Bathgate. 

I'm also in withdrawal and like yourself probably was told it was  relpase etc etc. Nervous system is a bloody mess but hopeful of recovery like yourself. Probably won't happen until I'm off citalopram I guess. 

I've also been on Duloxetine and Mirtazapine before that. 

Hopefully we can help each other get through this and see a better tomorrow.

Best Wishes 

DoH

June 2013 - September 2014 Mirtazapine 40mg quick taper off within weeks
2015 - 2017  Mirtazapine 40mg quick taper off within weeks
December 2017 - January 2018 Citalopram 10mg- quick taper off within days. 
August 2018 - October 2019 Duloxetine 90mg. Slower taper. Down to 60mg for 6months and then 30mg for 4 weeks. Then off October 2019
Present Citalopram  29th October 2020 2mg - ideally looking to stabilise something. Using liquid form this time and hoping to increase to stabilise. Down to 1.5mg 21st November 

Back up to 2mg 24th November 

April 8th 2021 - dropped to 1.9mg as feeling like enough time has passed to see if i would get better. Time to take things slowly and allow my brain to start working on its own 

Hi @DreamingofHealing 

Thanks so much for your message. Really kind and good to spk with someone in Scotland too. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

What a great site this is. 

Sorry to hear of your withdrawal story too but yes we can help each other out the other side....and it is there I’m sure. ☀️ (Though excuse the language I could seriously do without this **** in the first place😂).  

Anyhow, I just wanted to quickly say thanks for taking the time to comment and hopefully we can speak again soon. I’m off for a glass of vino and ‘Line of Duty’.  

Take good care 

And @Gridley

Thank you v much for the sound advice and welcome. I will follow up on all of the things you mentioned over the next few days. 

Many Thanks

S

Also between (1998-2000) Short instances on Lithium, Risperidone, Quetiapine, Lamictal. Off all antipsychotics in (2000).  Prozac stopped and switched

Duloxetine(2014-Feb 2021) - after failed withdrawal from Prozac- misdiagnosed as 'Relap

Duloxetine:(Feb 21) Tapered from 60mg of Duloxetine over approx 6wks. (8th April 2021) Reinstat Duloxetine (1mg)

Hi fellow Scot here also, going through absolute hell after short term ssri use, symptoms have never left me now off everything for 5 weeks 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

started in January now off work 3 months 

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

barely eating no appetite

fever on and off

I've just been watching the videos of Dr Brechin. Very helpful to understand what is going on in our brains. I would hope short term use would equal short term withdrawal for you. Pray that it does. 

We will get through this. Whatever you don't go back to them. I did that last year and have regrets every day i did. 

June 2013 - September 2014 Mirtazapine 40mg quick taper off within weeks
2015 - 2017  Mirtazapine 40mg quick taper off within weeks
December 2017 - January 2018 Citalopram 10mg- quick taper off within days. 
August 2018 - October 2019 Duloxetine 90mg. Slower taper. Down to 60mg for 6months and then 30mg for 4 weeks. Then off October 2019
Present Citalopram  29th October 2020 2mg - ideally looking to stabilise something. Using liquid form this time and hoping to increase to stabilise. Down to 1.5mg 21st November 

Back up to 2mg 24th November 

April 8th 2021 - dropped to 1.9mg as feeling like enough time has passed to see if i would get better. Time to take things slowly and allow my brain to start working on its own 

11 hours ago, DreamingofHealing said:

I've just been watching the videos of Dr Brechin. Very helpful to understand what is going on in our brains. I would hope short term use would equal short term withdrawal for you. Pray that it does. 

We will get through this. Whatever you don't go back to them. I did that last year and have regrets every day i did. 

Thank you, wish I had never touched another after the short Citalopram use but was prescribed 2 more, now this constant knot or feeling of dread in my stomach and throat won’t give me a minutes peace, can’t sleep because of it 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

Topic title:

reinstatement of duloxetine advice please

Hi there

i received a message from one of the moderators @Gridley stating if I did consider a reinstatement I could get some advice on recommended smallest dose. I wondered if this could be possible. Unfortunately the current withdrawal symptoms are too severe. I was on Prozac for 25 years and have been on Cymbalta/Duloxetine for the past seven after a failed attempt at stopping Prozac. I was on 60 mg throughout. I went to 40mg, 30mg and then 20mg over approximately 5/6 weeks. I have been on nothing for 2 weeks and the last week has been extremely difficult, the last day impossible. I wanted to ride it out but I feel too unstable and it feels a bit dangerous and umanangeable. What would your suggestion be for smallest dose to reinstate? And length of time?

Your advice would be really, really welcome. 

Thank you

Scottish lass x

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging two intro topics

• Moderator Emeritus

@ScottishLass

As an introduction to reinstatement, please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

The following link is about tapering cymbalta but the information is also applicable to reinstating it.  Does your cymbalta contain numerous tiny beads?  Are you taking a 20mg capsule?  If so, the first step would be to open a capsule and count the number of beads in the capsule.  That will help us determine how many beads to reinstate.  It's possible that reinstating a very few or even one bead will help.  Your system is sensitized, and you definitely don't want to overwhelm it with too high a reinstatement. Please read the following link.

Tips for tapering off duloxetine (Cymbalta)

It takes 4 days or a reinstatement to read full strength in your blood steam and a few days more for it to register in the brain.  So be patient and give it time to work.  Once we determine how many beads to reinstate, the next step will be to see if it helps.  Please keep in mind that the purpose of reinstatement isn't to eliminate withdrawal symptoms altogether (though it does for some) but rather to make those symptoms tolerable.  If after 10 or so days there is no improvement, we can see about adding another bead.

It can take some months for the reinstatement to reach its full efficacy.

To make sure I see your reply, if you will type at the beginning of your reply @Gridley.  A rectangle with @Gridley in it will appear.  Click on it and I will be notified that you've posted.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to ScottishLass: reinstatement of Cymbalta / duloxetine advice please
  • Moderator Emeritus

Merged 2 Introduction topics.

Each member has only 1 Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.  This way your history is in one place and you will not have to repeat your story.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@Gridley

Thanks so much  for you reply.  I have spoken to my GP today who has agreed to prescribe the 20mg tablets as I ws out of any.  I will take it apart and see what's inside. From my recollection there are quite a large number of smaller beads inside. How do I know what to begin with? What would your suggestion be? 

Apologies for all the questions. 

Many thanks for your time 😊

Scottish Lass

• Moderator Emeritus

@ScottishLass

Here's the relevant section from the Tips link I sent you.

"NOTE When you are taking loose beads, put them in an empty capsule to swallow them. Gelatin capsules and vegetarian capsules are available at health food store.  -- or from Amazon.  

"Put unused beads into a clean, dry, capped prescription bottle marked with the dosage of the original capsule and expiration date. You might want to use them later. Do NOT mix beads from capsules of different dosages, such as 30mg and 60mg."

So, SL, the first thing to do is open a capsule and count the quite numerous number of tiny beads.  This can be tricky (beads rolling off onto the floor, etc.) but is very do-able.  Then let me know how many beads are in that one 20mg capsule.  Once I have that number I can tell you how many beads to reinstate.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

@Gridley

Great, I will do that tomorrow and get back to you. 

Thank you 🙏🏻

SL

@Gridley

Hi there,

Woah those beads are small.....from my countings there are 120 beads in each 20mg cap. 

Thanks 🙏🏻

SL

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, ScottishLass said:

@Gridley

Hi there,

Woah those beads are small.....from my countings there are 120 beads in each 20mg cap. 

Thanks 🙏🏻

SL

That means that 6 beads equals 1 mg.  Since 1mg is the dose I'd recommend you reinstate, I suggest you reinstate with 6 beads.  Put them in a small gelatin capsule and take it at the same time every day, preferably in the morning.  Save the remaining beads in another capsule for your next doses.  

Please update your signature to reflect this reinstatement.  Remember, it takes 4 days for the reinstatement to reach full strength in your blood steam and a few days more to register in the brain.

It's a good idea to keep daily notes on paper to keep track of how the reinstatement is going.

If 6 beads isn't enough, after giving them enough time to work, it will be a simple matter to very slowly increase the number of beads until you get relief.

Please keep updated on how you're doing.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

@Gridley 

Many thanks for your time and help. 

SL 🙏🏻

Hi ScottishLass,

I hate to bear this bad news, but you should stop drinking wine.  Any alcohol at all will have an effect on your symptoms.  It’s really disappointing, I know.  The less, the better, of course.  If you have too much, you could find yourself in a very bad situation, and it’s very hard to know how much is too much.  Sorry.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

@Rosetta

Hi, 

Thanks for your concern/advice. I have probably one glass of wine a week.  It does not seem to have been an issue.  Weighing up benefit versus risk I think it’s accetable. I know everyone will have differing views and I respect and thank you for sharing yours. Each to their own.

SL

Yes, I hope it doesn’t affect you too much.  It may not, but it’s something to be aware of so you can protect yourself.  I wish someone had known about ADWD, what it does, how it makes us so sensitive, and had told me about how alcohol intersects with the syndrome.  

I wilI elaborate a bit on my experience in my own thread, and if you are interested you can read it.  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta

Hey Rosetta and a proper hello from Bonny Scotland.  I know re ADWD, I’m shocked to find myself in this situation...and struggling with a little rage inside me at myself/psych/med/pharmaceutical companies etc.  But, trying to dampen the flames and focus on the now. 

I was just thinking about the ‘drinking’ thing in general too. I’m in Edinburgh, Scotland and I think it’s safe to say that drinking alcohol here is an integral part of Scottish culture. Even the scottish government says that alcohol is an important part of scottish culture and national identity. I can’t say I know too many people who don’t drink.

I see you are in California.....what is the drinking culture there? Just wondered.

Anyways, thanks so much for posting. I will, for sure look to reading your experience. 

Many thanks and take good care 🙏🏻 

SL

God I can’t believe how hard this is. My body is heavy and sore. My emotions are so extreme. I am ruminating more and more about what changes have happened in my brain, who I would have been, where I am. I feel so much angst and shame about not getting off these drugs before, not realising. I am so angry about being put on them and left on them and my bloody ineptitude to not see what these drugs do. Struggling with such sadness, fear and a sense of dread and hopelessness. I know this is self pity and not helpful etc etc...but excuse the language it is so F*****g tough. Arrrrrgggggghhhhhh.  I feel such a sense of tremendous loss.

SL

Yes, it is really, really hard.  You will feel like you can do anything after you go through this.  I felt all the angst and shame and often thought “ How could I have been so stupid as to trust those doctors?!”  Once the “neuro-emotions” are less frequent you will realize you did what any reasonable person would have done with the information you had at the time.  Then, you will be furious that our medical system could allow this to happen, and that it is still happening everyday.  I could tell you this isn’t your fault — it’s not — but you will have intense, negative emotions anyway.  It’s a part of withdrawal, unfortunately.

I’ll distract you by answering your question.  California.  California is enormous.  There have been so many different people from different cultures who have settled in California over the last 250 years that there is no one California culture.  Every culture has evolved and assimilated in different ways.

Also, depending on where in California a person lives, his/her experiences could be completely different from someone else descended from the same cultural background.  The state is 1240 km long and 400 km wide. It is mostly rural, but far more people live in cities.  There are mountains and valleys, beaches and woodlands.  There are deserts.   There are warm water, soft sandy beaches about 3 months out of the year in the South.  There are cold water beaches north of LA that have rocky cliffs with very few sandy  beaches.  The beach culture has its own drinking culture.

There is stratification of class based on income or wealth, too.  So, the drinking culture might be different depending upon what people can afford and what their friends can afford.  Different age groups have different ways of partying together, of course.  So, what people drink probably varies more than the fact that most people drink and drink too much on occasion and drink too much too often.  

For some people, the frequency of drinking could be quite similar, I think, to the culture in your country in terms of pervasiveness, but what people drink, when, and how often is so varied that it’s hard to describe.  

There are many, many vineyards here.  Some people have wine everyday like Europeans.  Recently, the craft beer market took off like a rocket, and there are micro-breweries everywhere.  There were several here and there since the 1970s, but now, there are so many all over.  There are people who live very much the way a lot people did in Madrid, before Covid, going out for a snack and a drink most days after work.  

There are people who never drink, of course, but most socializing involves drinking of some sort.  It’s odd to meet people who won’t take a drink offered to them at a party, and it seems to bother the person who offered if I decline.  Most of the people I have known here drink enough at a party, or even just a dinner for two couples, to be slightly intoxicated.  The Uber and Lyft ride businesses have made that more prevalent, I feel.

On the other hand, being a parent has made it more likely that we socialize with people who don’t drink enough to have a problem driving, and serving alcohol at an event where kids are present is not unheard of, but is noteworthy.  People are pleasantly surprised that there is wine or beer at kids birthday parties or Halloween parties.

I was a Scotch person.  Every birthday, my husband would get an expensive bottle for me, and I would make it last all year.  We both have Scottish ancestry.

There.  Was that distracting enough?  Hang in there. You will get over this.  You have to be very, very careful what you put into your body.  Research everything and never trust another doctor.  There is essentially nothing except fish oil and magnesium that is safe in WD.  Even those can be harmful in doses that would be normal for a healthy person.  

You will find info in the Symptoms forum here on just about anything.  You need to use an outside search engine.  Type in “survivingantidepressants MRI contrast” for example. Someone has seen a worsening of symptoms from everything out there.  After a few times of experiencing that, you will become more cautious.  You may even find that you are lucky and can tolerate many things.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta and anyone who wants to read or reply.   All support welcome. 

(ps please don’t feel pressure to reply Rosetta. I’m not too sure how to use the site effectively) 

Hey, what a beautiful and eloquent answer to my too broad unthought through question on California. Thanks so much. All of those things impact here too of course in varying and nuanced ways.  I think I was feeling a bit defensive at the ‘stop drinking wine’ advice,. 😬🤭..apologies 😂.

I always forget how big California is. I spent a year travelling around USA on the Amtrak before university. Stayed in Santa Monica for a month. 😊 Good Memories.

Thanks v much for the distraction. 

Yes, I am already raging and angry that Psych services and GP’s throw these tablets out like sweeties. That there is an almost blanket refusal to see or accept the consequences or ignore that ADWD exists. (Though i see pockets changing-thanks to sites like this🙏🏻) I had spoken with my GP before about micro dosing before I even knew what it was and she laughed and sneered at me. I mentioned it to Psych....offers of another drug ensued. 😳 I shut down and blindly continued. I think I knew I shouldn’t but was so tired and afraid. 

I read the topic on here on neuro emotions last night. Thanks. I had to stop reading after a while as those emotions  about those emotions 🙄 are overwhelming. Informing to understand and consider this when I’m overwhelmed though.

This is all so confusing. I know now at least that I will NOT EVER go back on these drugs (except reinstatement for WD symptoms) and final cease. I just wish i had done this so long ago. I just feel so traumatised about what these drugs have taken away from me. Ironically, I was put on drugs initially after a mental break from a really traumatic experience the previous year. I stupidly said nothing about the trauma at the time, was mute. I made it worse through my silence. I NEVER realised the consequences of that..maybe I would have received trauma counselling rather than medication. 

Anyway, beautiful blue skies and sunny, cold day here. I will attempt to wrap up and walk. 

Sorry for the rambling words. 

Have a good, warm day all.

Kind thought

SL 🙏🏻😊

• ChessieCat changed the title to ScottishLass: hello and some help please

I really hate this.  Worried about going out because my reactions are ridiculous. Spontaneous crying fits continue. Now I am also ruminating constantly. My body is sore and aches. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so fragile.  I don’t recognise myself.  How long does this go on for? What if this is it? It’s frightening me. 

SL

Really feel your pain, also feel so ill everyday now, zopiclone seemed to make me worse still can’t sleep at all, we just have to have hope that we get a bit of relief very soon 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

39 minutes ago, Totallylost said:

Really feel your pain, also feel so ill everyday now, zopiclone seemed to make me worse still can’t sleep at all, we just have to have hope that we get a bit of relief very soon 

Thanks so much TL. It’s so Frickin hard. Sorry that you too are feeling this. I’ve taken zopiclone 7mg tonight and it seems to be working so I’m about to attempt sleep. Looking forward to not thinking about this **** anymore.

Take care of yourself. I’m hoping hard for that relief for the both of us. 

Goodnight, SL

2 minutes ago, ScottishLass said:

Thanks so much TL. It’s so Frickin hard. Sorry that you too are feeling this. I’ve taken zopiclone 7mg tonight and it seems to be working so I’m about to attempt sleep. Looking forward to not thinking about this **** anymore.

Take care of yourself. I’m hoping hard for that relief for the both of us. 

Goodnight, SL

Thank you, hopefully you get a good sleep and 2moro is a little easier, it’s so hard not to worry but things have to get better, goodnight 

10 days Citalopram c/t 

7 days buspirone c/t

5 days trazodone c/t

2 weeks lorazepam c/t

Stomach issues

weakness in legs 

feeling of dread all day

cant sleep

fever on and off

PLEASE  any advice, support welcome. Feeling really quite terrible. 

The physical and emotional instability of this feels out of control and unmanageable. I know reinstatement is slow and as you said takes some time to register in the brain but what if 1mg is not enough and I have to increase and that’s more time. I feel like I’m breaking and  completely traumatised. I’m trying to remove myself from it all, be objective, hold on but it feels out of my grip. I’ve taken zopiclone at 7mg  the last 2 nights as I hadn’t properly slept for months. I really didn’t want anything in my body and I feel shame for taking them but I did get more sleep but what are those drugs now doing to me.  And reinstating....killing off my brain cells again. I’m so tired of this.  The last few days I’ve also noticed I’m struggling to manage my temperature. I’m freezing then a second later over heating and back to freezing. I also have a strange, strong pressure in my temples and throat. I just want this to stop. I’m so sad and angry and I feel traumatised by it all. Really traumatised. Like I’m trapped in some terrible nightmare. Sorry to write this ****.  I am aware it is self pitying crap and I am trying to be positive but I am SO ANGRY and scared of this.

SL

Yes, it’s really, really hard.  Feeling shame is just your brain being confused.  This is not your fault, and while trying to survive it, you will continue to hope that something outside of your body can fix it.  That’s normal.  

Regardless of fault, the only person who can fix it is you.  Your brain can fix it; your brain will fix it.  That’s why you feel terrible, because the brain is trying to fix it.  It’s a messy process.

Feeling angry is normal.  Unfortunately, the people responsible can’t fix it.  So, we have to because the alternative isn’t acceptable.

Seven mg is a lot of Zopiclone, I think. Did you sleep?  How long?  Did you feel completely out?  The thing is that the push back by the nervous system is greater the more one takes.  Whatever the doctor prescribed is way too much.  It’s best that you don’t take it, of course.  Letting your body get so tired that you sleep is best, but please don’t feel shame.  That’s not necessary.

Reinstating is not killing brain cells.  It’s giving your body the help it needs to produce the right hormones and other substances to stabilize the nervous system.  Your body doesn’t know how to operate without the drug.  Think of it as being the same as giving coffee to a system that can’t regulate the size of the arteries  without it.  Even half a cup makes the pain lessen.  You are giving your body help until it starts to produce more hormones and time to replace receptors that were decommissioned.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

56 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Yes, it’s really, really hard.  Feeling shame is just your brain being confused.  This is not your fault, and while trying to survive it, you will continue to hope that something outside of your body can fix it.  That’s normal.  

Regardless of fault, the only person who can fix it is you.  Your brain can fix it; your brain will fix it.  That’s why you feel terrible, because the brain is trying to fix it.  It’s a messy process.

Feeling angry is normal.  Unfortunately, the people responsible can’t fix it.  So, we have to because the alternative isn’t acceptable.

Seven mg is a lot of Zopiclone, I think. Did you sleep?  How long?  Did you feel completely out?  The thing is that the push back by the nervous system is greater the more one takes.  Whatever the doctor prescribed is way too much.  It’s best that you don’t take it, of course.  Letting your body get so tired that you sleep is best, but please don’t feel shame.  That’s not necessary.

Reinstating is not killing brain cells.  It’s giving your body the help it needs to produce the right hormones and other substances to stabilize the nervous system.  Your body doesn’t know how to operate without the drug.  Think of it as being the same as giving coffee to a system that can’t regulate the size of the arteries  without it.  Even half a cup makes the pain lessen.  You are giving your body help until it starts to produce more hormones and time to replace receptors that were decommissioned.  

Hi @Rosetta

Rosetta

Thanks for commenting. Sorry I’m feeling very sorry for myself and feeling quite scared. I actually reduced the zopiclone from 10.5 mg. I did fall to sleep (which is a bonus) but still waking up and getting up in the night on 7mg though very wobbly on the legs and feel like I’ve been hit with a mallet and have cotton wool between my ears the next day. I was just so desperate to try and sleep and then maybe I would feel more ‘normal’. Feels like a constant vicious circle. Tonight I will maybe just take 3.5mg. Then stop again. The insomnia though has been severe and I’m just desperately trying to control something. I’m off work sick at the moment and still have a few weeks left but am so worried about not being in a state to manage when i go back. If I don’t stay in work this time I’ll be on half pay and/or likely lose my job, or at least the role I do. 

I keep thinking increase the Duloxetine now... maybe you’ll feel slightly better...but I don’t want these bloody drugs or any of this. 

Anyway,  I hoe your day is good. Apologies for the rant and thanks for the comment and advice It is so appreciated. 

SL

Definitely don’t increase the D yet.  You need to give that a few weeks to work out.  If you increase too early, and it wasn’t necessary, you will shock your system.  Simply making the change will be bumpy.  Make one change at a time, and keep them as far apart as possible.  Every time you take Z that is a change, too.

Well, I know that telling someone with insomnia to wait it out seems cruel.  Of course, I don’t mean to be cruel.  I believe, very strongly, that the only way back to sleeping well enough is by avoiding sleeping pills.  

Ideally, you would take the tiny dose of AD and nothing else.  I recognize that there will be times that one can’t resist the drug that has “helped one sleep” in the past, but I’m concerned about the backlash when you try to sleep without it.

Yes, I understand that you are scared. Fear is one of the symptoms of PWS, and we have a lot of good reasons to feel scared.  Even things that should be somewhat scary cause us an immense amount of fear, and it takes a long time to settle down.  Feeling scared while being wide awake in the middle of the night?  Truly, truly awful.  

My hope is that your reinstatement is going to clear up the insomnia to a degree that you are functional in the day.  It is unlikely to give you a solid 8 hours of sleep.  It may not feel like you get the sleep you need for a few months, but it should get gradually better to a tolerable point.  You may have waves of worse periods interspersed between good periods.

I still wake up in the night, and I’m awake for a couple of hours sometimes, but I don’t feel afraid any longer.  So, it’s more manageable.

One difficult thing about quitting ADs is that people are supposed to wake up in the night.  A normal sleep pattern is to sleep a while, then wake up, move around a bit, stoke the fire, check for threats, contemplate the stars, and go back to bed.  The “second sleep,” was something people expected before artificial light was invented.  Sleeping like a rock for 8 or 9 hours isn’t normal, I was shocked to discover.

If you have been on ADs since you were young, you may not have made the change from a young adult who sleeps a very deep sleep for quite a long time in one stretch and becoming an adult with an adult’s sleep pattern.  I didn’t make that change — ever.  I might be getting to the point that I have that pattern about 2 weeks out of the month now, more or less.

Hang in there. - Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

18 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Definitely don’t increase the D yet.  You need to give that a few weeks to work out.  If you increase too early, and it wasn’t necessary, you will shock your system.  Simply making the change will be bumpy.  Make one change at a time, and keep them as far apart as possible.  Every time you take Z that is a change, too.

Well, I know that telling someone with insomnia to wait it out seems cruel.  Of course, I don’t mean to be cruel.  I believe, very strongly, that the only way back to sleeping well enough is by avoiding sleeping pills.  

Ideally, you would take the tiny dose of AD and nothing else.  I recognize that there will be times that one can’t resist the drug that has “helped one sleep” in the past, but I’m concerned about the backlash when you try to sleep without it.

Yes, I understand that you are scared. Fear is one of the symptoms of PWS, and we have a lot of good reasons to feel scared.  Even things that should be somewhat scary cause us an immense amount of fear, and it takes a long time to settle down.  Feeling scared while being wide awake in the middle of the night?  Truly, truly awful.  

My hope is that your reinstatement is going to clear up the insomnia to a degree that you are functional in the day.  It is unlikely to give you a solid 8 hours of sleep.  It may not feel like you get the sleep you need for a few months, but it should get gradually better to a tolerable point.  You may have waves of worse periods interspersed between good periods.

I still wake up in the night, and I’m awake for a couple of hours sometimes, but I don’t feel afraid any longer.  So, it’s more manageable.

One difficult thing about quitting ADs is that people are supposed to wake up in the night.  A normal sleep pattern is to sleep a while, then wake up, move around a bit, stoke the fire, check for threats, contemplate the stars, and go back to bed.  The “second sleep,” was something people expected before artificial light was invented.  Sleeping like a rock for 8 or 9 hours isn’t normal, I was shocked to discover.

If you have been on ADs since you were young, you may not have made the change from a young adult who sleeps a very deep sleep for quite a long time in one stretch and becoming an adult with an adult’s sleep pattern.  I didn’t make that change — ever.  I might be getting to the point that I have that pattern about 2 weeks out of the month now, more or less.

Hang in there. - Rosetta

@Rosetta

Thanks so much Rosetta. I have just reread your reply. It’s comforting to have a reference point and hear others that have been through/are going through this. Interesting point about sleep patterns etc. I was late teens when prescribed drugs? So may have a point there.  Today seems a much better day. Its surprised me. It is v cold but blue skies here so I am venturing out to walk and draw and photograph. Distraction feels doable today.  I hope your day is good. Thanks again 🙏🏻 SL

@Gridley and anyone else who is kind enough to reply. 

On 6th day of reinstating just 1mg Duloxetine/Cymbalta. Last couple of nights have noticed quite severe restless legs and nightmares. Wondered if this is because of duloxetine. (I have been taking zopiclone also the last week so difficult to work out). Last Z tonight so guess I’ll find out eventually . Just wondered if anyone else had this as a side effect of Duloxetine??? 

Thanks in advance 

SL

• Moderator Emeritus

@ScottishLass

Restless leg syndrome is a possible side effect of duloxetine as well as other antidepressants.  Aside from RLS, are you better or worse since reinstating duloxetine?  See the following:

In a study, RLS was noted as a possible side effect of the use of fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram, sertraline, escitalopram, venlafaxine, duloxetine, and mirtazapine (Rottach et al. 2008). In the present paper, we report a case of duloxetine- related galactorrhea and restless legs syndrome.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

@Gridley

Hi Gridley and thanks, 

The last couple of days have been better and I think there is an improvement.  I don't seem to feel as frightened and out of control as I did, which really was very,very scary. I'm praying that doesn't come back.  My mood is still a little explosive at times to say the least and the spontaneous crying has diminished a little though still close by.  Physical symptoms such as brain zaps, dizziness and vertigo have reduced greatly.  Nausea seems to have made an appearance now though. It's  so difficult to work out what's what. I'm currently off work so at the minute some quite big stresses have been removed. Quite worried about return to work and how that will play out and hoping this couple of better days continues and boosts my confidence. The 'not knowing' and the likely (from what I have read) non-linear path of healing causes me a lot of fear. 

I was wondering about the 1mg reinstatement - if I don't need to up that and feel I can manage the withdrawal symptoms on such a low dose.....what's the recommended time to stay on the 1mg before attempting zero AD's again? Any thoughts, advice would be really welcome. Also if it goes the other way and the need is to up the dose....what would you recommend increasing dose to and for how long.

Thanks again

SL

@Gridley

oh....and another's thing I noticed though is increased motivation for activity from not being on the amount of duloxetine I was (60mg).  Also interestingly, I am listening to music daily - sounds bizarre but I was always a lover of music and when I started AD's it seemed to stop. 🤷‍♀️ Not sure if it's incidental but interesting none the less. 

SL