SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

ScottishLass: hello and some help please

ScottishLass

@Rosetta

Thank you.  It was really helpful.  Sorry to take up your time.  
I’ve been painting when I can, forcing myself when overwhelm hits.  Sometimes it exhausts me and it angers me that I’m having to do it but I almost go onto autopilot and do it.  If it’s successful and I start once I am lost in the process it has been helpful.  Distracts me from going down dark rabbit holes for a while.  You are right.  Maybe I’ll think more about routines.  Try and leave the house more.  I know I’m struggling to accept this.  I’m trying to see that this resistance is not of benefit to me.....but it hurts.  I feel like a crazy woman.  I don’t want to believe this is where I am.  I keep getting scared that it won’t end, that I’ve got everything wrong.  But...even if that was the case and it wasn’t withdrawal the reintroduction of any psych meds at higher doses or not is an absolute no no.  Therefore, maybe yes I’m stuck and NEVER wanted to be in this position but I guess I’m at least NOT still on medication and not still numb to the poison they are.  I’m further down the line. I’m aware. Trying to create a better life.  
Sorry, I just needed someone to respond and to vent and work through that.  
THANK YOU ROSETTA 💕 for your (as always), wise words and kindness. 
ps...I’ve had to start an AB which I was really scared about and it may be for 3 months.  Would you be worried about that.  I tried to see and ask on here before but didn’t really answer my question or worry.
SL

Prozac  60mg ( 1998-2014).  

Also between (1998-2000) Short instances on Lithium, Risperidone, Quetiapine, Lamictal. Off all antipsychotics in (2000).  Prozac stopped and switched

Duloxetine(2014-Feb 2021) - after failed withdrawal from Prozac- misdiagnosed as 'Relap

2015 - approx 3 mths  Lamictal 

Duloxetine:(Feb 21) Tapered from 60mg of Duloxetine over approx 6wks. (8th April 2021) Reinstat Duloxetine (1mg)

16/05: Updose Duloxetine (2mg) 6mg Diazepam prn 

20/06: stopped Duloxetine.

Started On 10mg Fluoxetine12/07: Updose 20mg

6/08Switch to liquid fluox 4.5ml/18mg. 20/09: 4ml/16mg

Supplements:Omega,Vit D.

My RLS symptoms have ramped up and I don’t know why? The irritability in my legs, arms and mind is excruciating usually around 1am.  I also now seem to have a pattern of a surge of intense anxiety first thing in the morning.  A feeling of intense claustrophobia and panic that takes my breath away.  I’m trying hard to manage it.  I still only sleep 3 hrs early morning.  Whilst anger feels slightly more manageable I cannot control my tears and this is so debilitating. I feel exhausted, depleted and less and less hopeful.  I’ve  begun to wonder whether I’m doing the right thing not taking medication. Whilst I think 100% that I don’t want that.  I wonder if I’m deceiving myself that I can manage.  An old friend of mine rang me on Friday eve.  We haven’t spoken for a few years.  I answered - which is a good sign- because I wasn’t going to.  Our conversation though upset me, angered me.  I explained everything that has happened, my withdrawal from AD’s, all the reading I’ve been doing on how poisonous they are.  I got very upset explaining.  For some reason I thought she would  ‘get it’.  She however said, you are talking like you’re  ill and I think you need AD’s and my worry would be you are going to fall into a deep depression.  She then preceded to extol the virtues of citalopram that she has been on for 20 years.  I get it, if that works for her.  She just kept saying but why can’t you be on them forever...the problem is your perception of being on them.  I was angry and upset, shocked.  If one of my oldest friends can’t see, understand...who’s going to.  
it’s made me start to question myself.  What if I am making myself ill.  What if this process of withdrawal is making me ill.  How do I know when to draw a line.  I feel like a shell and I don’t know how much to trust myself in this process.  How do I know I’m doing the right thing when this period is so terrible. I can’t see out of it.  

I don’t know.  Is this normal to feel and constantly question?
SL

Also between (1998-2000) Short instances on Lithium, Risperidone, Quetiapine, Lamictal. Off all antipsychotics in (2000).  Prozac stopped and switched

Duloxetine(2014-Feb 2021) - after failed withdrawal from Prozac- misdiagnosed as 'Relap

Duloxetine:(Feb 21) Tapered from 60mg of Duloxetine over approx 6wks. (8th April 2021) Reinstat Duloxetine (1mg)

As far as reinstatement goes, it probably wouldn’t work anyway,

once you have gone into withdrawal the cns becomes so sensitive 

that it just rejects the drug it’s withdrawing from, and just makes it worse, I’m not trying to put you off or anything, it’s what happened to me and I ended up feeling just as bad if not worse, and back on drugs,

all I’m saying is give it a lot of thought before you do anything,

but everyone is different.

take care stay strong 

25 years on Prozac 20mg

Quit Cold turkey March 2020

had severe withdrawals so reinstated 20mg November 2020

went up to 30 mg February 2021

went on .5 mg risperidone March 2021

still having withdrawal symptoms currently takin 30mg Prozac 

and .5mg risperidone 

No way out then. So tired of trying to work it out.  Is it withdrawal, is it not, is it going to last forever, is it not.  Am I ever going to feel physically or emotionally ‘normal’ again.  People on here, keep going, with grace, gratitude.  I don’t seem to have the capacity to do that.  I cannot stand these feelings, sensations.  This terror. Everyday feels like a massive feat. I’m not sure what for. I’ve failed.

Sorry to hear you're struggling again SL, I'm sure it is withdrawal and will subside soon. Stay strong, it will be worth it at the end of the day.  

Best wishes, ruby xx

2003 - 2018 Started/stopped lithium, sodium valproate, fluoxetine, venlafaxine, seroxat, citalopram and many more that I can't remember. 2018 - 120 mg Duloxetine, 20 mg Olanzapine  2019  - 60 mg Duloxetine, 20 mg Olanzapine  Feb 2020 - Quetiapine - up to 200 mg slow release, 60 mg Duloxetine, Olanzapine to 10 mgu Aug 2020 - Tapered Quetiapine far too fast under GPs advice -  withdrawal symptoms included mood swings, insomnia, anxiety, dizziness (misdiagnosed BPPV), low blood pressure - 60 mg Duloxetine, 10 mg Olanzapine

4 Mar 2021 - failed taper to 5 mg Olanzapine 20 Mar 2021 -  reinstated 10 mg Olanzapine

19 Apr 2021 - 60 mg Duloxetine, 7.5 mg Olanzapine

24 June 2021 - 6.25mg olanzapine, 60mg duloxetine

22 July 2021 - 6.25mg Olanzapine, 50mg Duloxetine

10 August 2021 - 6.25 mg olanzapine, 40 mg Duloxetine

28 August 20216.25 Olanzapine35 mg Duloxetine - low mood/depression, insomnia withdrawal symptoms

26 August 2021 - 5 mg Nitrazepam , previously I took one 3 or 4 weeks ago;  7 October - 5 mg nitrazepam

Other meds/supplements:  solifinacin, loperimide, lutein/zeatheanin,, methyl cellulose, I also have nitrazepam, lorazepam, propranolol - I take rarely  

14 October 2021 stopped - magnesium oxide & B6, menopause tablet.  

5 Jan 2024 tapered duloxetine 40mg in days. trazedone 75mg.

14 Jan 2024 - 150mg trazedone, 7.5mg olanzapine, vit D, omega 3, simvastatin.  

• Mentor

Hi @ScottishLass

I am very sorry to hear that you are suffering this much. I know how frustrating and defeated we can feel at times. Its such a hard journey and really not explainable to people who haven't experienced it.

56 minutes ago, ScottishLass said:

People on here, keep going, with grace, gratitude.

If you could be a fly on my wall ,when I am at my worst let me tell you what you would see is not graceful or pretty. We all have our moments of anger, crying spells and hopelessness. How ever with that said, I make a conscious effort and choose to feed my mind with positive thoughts and become determined that I will do everything in my power to get better. Some days I succeed and other days, well not at all. Because of how slow and small these steps are, can be frustrating and sometimes feel like we are stuck at zero, but believe me when I say this, change is happening.  

You have NOT failed, you are a human being that is suffering. Yes you DO have the capacity to rise above it, dont listen to your mind telling you you cant. Those are only thoughts, and dont allow yourself to feed them.

About your talk to your friend about AD and what she belives or not,  its ok for her to have an opinion on it, doesnt mean you have to agree with her. I have sure myself talked about withdrawals and Antidepressants to friends and family, I made the decision to keep it to myself this time, cause its just people's ignorance and what society has been fed for years. Dont let it get you down, just make a note of it and keep on believing in yourself and your decision on wanting to live your best life. It takes alot of work and yes pain and suffering, but my belief is that it truly will come full circle in the end, making us stronger, wiser and more resilient towards life in general. 

Believe you can and you are halfway there.

All my best to you.

Edited by Hanna72

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

@ScottishLassKeep going. I can sure as hell tell you i am not graceful throughout W/D. i'm agitated, unstable and probably look like death warmed over to most people.

But putting one foot in front of the other is all that really matters. I know this isn't the real me, and its not the real you either. its just the result of toxic drugs damaging our brains.

Started Lexapro 5mg Mid March 2020

Came off Completely September 2020

Hospitalised september 2021

Slowly worked up to 50mg lamictal and 60mg Prozac

reduced to 20mg Prozac September 2021

Holding 20mg Prozac and 50mg Lamictal for a good while to stabilise. November 2021

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @ScottishLass--Gosh, I can so relate to the difficulties you're describing.  I also have a painful time trying to explain what w/d is, and why I'm in this state--particularly when those who've asked don't really want to hear the truth about what's going on with these drugs.  I want to warn others but right now I'm not strong enough to deal with their incredulity, or in cases like your friend, their overriding support for what may still be helping them, but is causing us nearly unbearable pain.  I hate finding myself in the unexpected position of being us and them.  (At the same time, it can feel like such a relief when people get it and understand--especially those close to us.)

All this to say, I sure support you, and hold the belief that this will get better for you (and all of us).🕊️

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

If you want to say so, what is the antibiotic called?  Did you look it up here to see what people have experienced after taking it?  Do you know how to do that?  Into an outside search engine type survivingantidepressants then the name of the drug.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

@rubywednesday @Hanna72 @mva96 @arbor @Rosetta

Thank you so much for your responses which all contain such kindness and sound advice.  I know what I say is tiresome and I have used this place to moan and vent without really providing support for others and I’m sorry for that.  I truly appreciate the kindness that has been shown.  These drugs are a ‘cruel mistress’ and I wish I’d made different choices or had more control to do so at the time of being medicated and in the years following.  I think I’ve hit a wall which surpasses my ability to cope.  I say to myself, you’ve been here before, keep going and I have but each time I do the wall gets higher and I seem to disintegrate more. I don’t know how to keep at it. Who or where to get help.   I don’t recognise myself.  I can’t seem to process where I am and absolutely can’t accept this as my continuing situation.  I can’t  see the future I’m so frightened.  One foot in front of the other I know but I don’t see the path.  
Sorry for the posts and those reading. I know it’s not helpful to anyone and I will stop.  
Take care

SL

It’s normal to feel that way.  This is a devastating condition in which to find oneself.  You will go back and forth — feeling that you can cope, feeling that you cannot cope, time and again.  At the moment I felt I could not go on, I set aside my worry about it by doing something else.  In a few hours, I felt better able to go on.  

You will feel worse in the morning, most likely, if you sleep.  If you can’t sleep, the nights are very hard.  One day, you will start to sleep better.  Then, you will feel awful in the morning, but you will learn that the evenings are better.  You will start to count on a break in the evening.  That will help you get through.  

Helping others is for when you are not suffering so terribly.  In a window, after you have done some healing, you will feel capable of that.  For now, learn from reading success stories.  Find ways that help you cope the best.  Try different things.  Watch cat videos, cake decorating videos, whatever is neutral, and not likely to cause upset.   Take up a hobby, bird watch, color, cook, grow a garden, pull weeds, learn to play an instrument, etc.  Do something repetitive and monotonous perhaps like knitting.  Many people find that if they can keep their hands busy, that helps them cope.  Maybe get one of those trays with sand in it that has a little rake — a Japanese meditation tool, I think it is.  

You can try anything, then abandon it and try something else.  Do whatever your mind will let you do until your mind changes and will not let you do that.  I watched a lot of stupid shows on Netflix.  A complete waste of time, but I had to get through the anxiety.  I needed my attention focused away from the misery I was feeling even if for only a few minutes at a time.

It takes a while to learn how to cope with this new reality.  Give yourself some grace.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hi Scottishlass! I've just been reading your thread and can relate so much. I think we're about the same stage in withdrawal, I came off on March 10th 2021, so I'm almost 13 weeks off. I rarely have a good day since stopping the meds and I'm currently in a wave, of no sleep, severe stomach issues, nausea, anxiety etc. so i do really understand what you're going through. i think my partner and my family are starting to get fed up with me to be honest and probably dont believe that withdrawal can last this long?! one of my friends suggested me going back on the meds, urrgh. 😞 x

May 2016- August 2020 Fluoxetine 20mg (pooped out)

August 2020 - December 2020 Sertraline 50mg (adverse effects)

Dec 2020-Mar 10th 2021 Citalopram 20mg (adverse effects)- STOPPED cold turkey

Fully antidepressant free since 10th March 2021. 

Take occasional propranolol 10mg.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:35 AM, Rosetta said:

It’s normal to feel that way.  This is a devastating condition in which to find oneself.  You will go back and forth — feeling that you can cope, feeling that you cannot cope, time and again.  At the moment I felt I could not go on, I set aside my worry about it by doing something else.  In a few hours, I felt better able to go on.  

You will feel worse in the morning, most likely, if you sleep.  If you can’t sleep, the nights are very hard.  One day, you will start to sleep better.  Then, you will feel awful in the morning, but you will learn that the evenings are better.  You will start to count on a break in the evening.  That will help you get through.  

Helping others is for when you are not suffering so terribly.  In a window, after you have done some healing, you will feel capable of that.  For now, learn from reading success stories.  Find ways that help you cope the best.  Try different things.  Watch cat videos, cake decorating videos, whatever is neutral, and not likely to cause upset.   Take up a hobby, bird watch, color, cook, grow a garden, pull weeds, learn to play an instrument, etc.  Do something repetitive and monotonous perhaps like knitting.  Many people find that if they can keep their hands busy, that helps them cope.  Maybe get one of those trays with sand in it that has a little rake — a Japanese meditation tool, I think it is.  

You can try anything, then abandon it and try something else.  Do whatever your mind will let you do until your mind changes and will not let you do that.  I watched a lot of stupid shows on Netflix.  A complete waste of time, but I had to get through the anxiety.  I needed my attention focused away from the misery I was feeling even if for only a few minutes at a time.

It takes a while to learn how to cope with this new reality.  Give yourself some grace.

Hi Rosetta, I'm glad to read this because i do feel much better in the evenings and wondered if this was a pattern that happens in recovery. Your words are very helpful x

May 2016- August 2020 Fluoxetine 20mg (pooped out)

August 2020 - December 2020 Sertraline 50mg (adverse effects)

Dec 2020-Mar 10th 2021 Citalopram 20mg (adverse effects)- STOPPED cold turkey

Fully antidepressant free since 10th March 2021. 

Take occasional propranolol 10mg.

Hi

I agree jade, rosettas words are a godsend and @Rosetta thanks so much for your post/posts.

This is a devastating condition in which to find oneself.  You will go back and forth — feeling that you can cope, feeling that you cannot cope, time and again.

The back and forth is so hard but i now see the only option is to keep remembering that it will go back and forth.  There is actually no alternative to holding onto that other than giving in completely.  I see that now.  I’m working (slowly) with the acceptance of that. Trying not to fight the anger of it all the time.  It’s just eating me up doing that. I see that now too.

You will feel worse in the morning, most likely, if you sleep.  If you can’t sleep, the nights are very hard.  One day, you will start to sleep better.  Then, you will feel awful in the morning, but you will learn that the evenings are better.  You will start to count on a break in the evening.  That will help you get through

My sleep is still extremely poor approx 3 to max 4 hours between 4 and 8am and usually broken throughout.  I am really surprised that it still is so poor I thought by now my body would have stopped.  It hasn’t.  The agitation and RLS in my body is unthinkable but easing slightly.  The panic that comes in the night.  I’m trying to ‘physically move’ when that happens.  I spoke to a counsellor and she said it sounded like I get stuck in a ‘freeze’ response at that point and she suggested to move, try and get out of the paralysis and not go down rabbit holes. So, I’m trying to do that. I am starting to see patterns though, as you say r, for example the anxiety in the morning and so I am trying to notice more and work with that. 

Try different things.

Well, like you I have exhausted Netflix several times over. Though I could not tell you what I have watched. Probably for the best. I have also been painting when I can.  I like the idea of the sand tray I’m going to look that up. Thanks. I’ve struggled to get out of the house and am planning to try and address that as I feel I’m getting more and more trapped in and I know that being in nature is soothing if I do it right. 

Today, I made an urgent telephone appt with a GP again to try and get fluoxetine.  I tried to just continue on the 2 mg of Duloxetine and hope that I could push through it but I am becoming increasingly alarmed at my constant thoughts of S and black, black view.  I have convinced myself that if it ended it would be a ‘rational’ act.  These thoughts are not something that is in my make-up at this level usually.  It’s very different and frightening.  As it’s so different I presume it is withdrawal and not illness but it’s persistent and chaotic.  Hence, attempting to address this before it becomes law in my head. 
Anyway, this takes me to my next question @Altostrata re Prozac. 
The GP realised what a state I was in and contacted psych who agreed to a prescription of Prozac.  You had mentioned reinstating a low dose of this instead of the Duloxetine in a past post.  They have agreed to prescribe this but only at a 10 mg dose despite me pleading for lower.  The Psych reasoning apparently that I take that for 3 weeks untill I see her again and then we discuss whether tapering via liquid doses is suitable.  I am very relieved that they have agreed to prescribe it finally but really disappointed and scared at the dosage.  They have told me to stop the 2mg of Duloxetine today and replace with Prozac at 10 mg tomorrow.  Is this dangerous??  Given my absolute certainty I want OFF these poisonous drugs I feel trapped in a corner.  Either continue with 2mg D hoping something will change which feels impossible and dangerous in itself or the Prozac option at a dose that I feel is too high? With the view of tapering more slowly off Prozac ASAP. 
I would be really grateful for any advice, please. 
Thanks

SL

You are suicidal.  I assume you did not tell the doctor that.  Otherwise you would be in the hospital. 

Prozac at 10 mg would be dangerous, in my opinion.  That is way too much.  The risk is too great.  You risk an adverse reaction at that dose. If you are getting a liquid you can take a smaller amount even if the doctor wants you to take more.  The reason for taking this smaller amount is so that IF there is an adverse reaction it will be a small one.  It will be a reaction that you can recover from more quickly and without hospitalization. Why on Earth can doctors not grasp this concept?  

If you eventually need 10 mg, you will get there, safely, by updosing a bit at a time, but only after doing this test dose at an amount of 1 mg or less.  (I can’t tell you the amount.  I’m not a Mod.). Then, after you take that for several days or a week while monitoring your signs of adverse reaction, you might updose.  You might not even need to.  The sensitivity of our nervous systems while in wD allow us to benefit from very small doses of these drugs.  I wish someone would do some research on this!

The Mods will be here to discuss the duloxetine.  I cross over to Prozac will be needed.  You should not stop one drug and start another like that.  That is how I ended up with WD.  The doctor switched me cold from one drug to another.  @Altostrata

No, ending it would not be a rational act.  This is a temporary condition that is extremely difficult to live through, but doing so is worth it.  You cannot allow the ignorance of doctors to take your life.  You are a beautiful, intelligent woman with your whole life ahead of you.   When this is over, you are going to have an ability to do so many things you could not have done otherwise.  You will be so wise, so capable, so strong.  You have no idea.

You are not only feeling difficult symptoms from withdrawal, but you are having feelings of a mental nature that are caused by the physical condition of withdrawal.  Your thoughts are not rational.  I have been there, and I can tell you from the other side, that they are not rational at all.  You cannot give in to them.

Do this: when you have that thought, wait another day to see how your thoughts and feelings change.  Write them down.  You will, in only a few hours, feel completely differently.  You will see hope in holding on even if just a little OR you may feel no need to take any action at this time.  The idea that you need to do something will disappear.  The thoughts of the end will come back, but you will see that they come and go.  There is no truth to them.  They are fleeting.  

Please give your self a chance to see this.  You all ready know it.  Think back.  How many times have you thought that you could survive this?  Many.  How many times have you felt your symptoms ease? Many.  This is a survivable problem.  It is temporary.  Every time you have that feeling, it is temporary.  Wait another day.  That’s how I got through it.  I decided I would wait another day.  I made that decision over and over again until the SI went away.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

https://sossilenceofsuicide.org/what-where-why/

Call them.  They are open from 4 pm to midnight Monday through Sunday

https://www.thecalmzone.net/help/get-help/
This is another hotline — open 5 pm to midnight every day

https://www.samaritans.org Open 24 hours

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Gridley  Advice on Prozac and crossover issue needed, please.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta No, I’m not suicidal yet and I haven’t made any plans. Please don’t worry.  I am just very aware of the intensity of and persistent nature of the thoughts  and feelings.  I am cognisant of the nature of them mostly.  I am aware this is something different from usual.   I am just trying to stop anything spiralling any further whilst I can…..that is my concern.  And no I absolutely didn’t say that to the dr..though even if you did…it’s unlikely in the uk you’d be whisked into a hospital.  You’d probably be told to have a bath. 

I too think 10mg is too much. I pleaded for liquid lower dose and was refused. It is 10mg tablet apparently. I haven’t picked them up yet. Tomorrow I will do it, I couldn’t today.  I tried to explain the reasoning but they didn’t listen. That’s why now I once again feel stuck. 

SL 

Thank u Rosetta

Okay.  Good.  

There is an easy way to use the tablets.  The Mods will discuss with you.  I can’t get the link to come up right now.

You are probably nearing the peak of a wave.  It will subside.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

@ScottishLass @Rosetta

Rosetta tagged me regarding a potential switch on your part from Duloxetine to Prozac. Shep, one of our administrators, wrote following recently on drug switches:

"We rarely suggest crossing over drugs other than sometimes suggesting the Prozac Bridge or sometimes suggesting a benzo crossover to Valium, but still, this is rare."

The reason we rarely recommend this is because of the definite possibility that a switch will make things worse.  Prozac is not a magic drug.  The difficulties of a switch are increased when the switch is from a SNRI such as Duloxetine to a SSRI like

Prozac, because the two types of drugs (SNRI vs. SSRI) work differently on the brain.

From the Internet:

SSRIs block serotonin reuptake, while SNRIs stop the reuptake of both serotonin and norepinephrine. The reuptake process reduces the availability of neurotransmitters because the brain reabsorbs them. Therefore, by blocking this process, reuptake inhibitors increase the availability of neurotransmitters.

My translation of this is: more changes, more potential for problems.

Another very important factor: the typical dosage of duloxetine is 60mg per day and for Prozac 20mg per day, or a 3:1 ratio of duloxetine to Prozac.  So you and Rosetta are correct that 10mg of Prozac would be far too high a dose of Prozac to switch to from 2mg Duloxetine.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridley  @Rosetta

thanks. It was because it has been suggested in an earlier post by altostrata that I went down that route. 

Now  🤯 

why is there no way out of this. 

I just ******* can’t. It’s a nightmare. All of it.

I agree it’s a nightmare.  Your feelings are valid.  There is no easy way out, but there is a way out, and you can do it.  You updosed on May 16.  Maybe you will get some advice about duloxetine.  Could you post daily logs for a few days, please?  That would give more info to the mods about how you are doing

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Administrator
On 5/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, Altostrata said:

It's possible that what you've had all along is withdrawal syndrome from Prozac, incompletely masked by duloxetine, which was too stimulating for you. 

It's possible a little Prozac, say 0.5mg, might help more than the duloxetine.

On 5/18/2021 at 5:21 PM, Altostrata said:

If I were you, I might add 0.5mg fluoxetine in liquid form for a week. If that seems beneficial, then go off duloxetine, as it doesn't seem to help.

This topic explains how to make your own fluoxetine liquid. You should be able to get an oral syringe from the pharmacist or from a veterinarian (this is how they give drugs to small animals). 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Rosetta

Anyone.  Well I thought I would document what has been going on for the last weeks. 

I was at a  point where I felt I could not go on in the state I was in.  I was finding it excruciating to get through seconds never mind hours.  Was panicked and frightened all of the time, no concept of the future apart from I don’t want it and it’s not worth it.  The level of agitation and restlessness in my body and mind astounding to me.   I started to wonder if I’ve had a stroke because I  feel so different, unusual, frightened. It’s like I’ve lost who I was. Gone. Replaced with someone else. I’m terrified. I tried to use coping techniques, distract myself, etc etc but things, well....Suicidal thoughts were so constant (and I am ashamed writing that) it feels like someone elses thoughts (its not usual for me) and I write this not for attention but out of fear and maybe hope.  Anyway I started to plan the end in my head daily.  I noticed this change in my thoughts, the direction and progression of this into more action.  I know that part of me does not want to die and whilst my hope is severely limited that part of me IS still there. So, I felt I HAD to do something to try and make a difference.  It was obvious to me that Duloxetine reinstatement was not helping but WD was also an absolute killer. I can’t believe the things people being on, coming off AD’s have to balance....chemically, physically, psychologically, emotionally, financially...on and on...it’s terrifying and so traumatic. I never thought I’d be in this situation.  Anyway, whilst I have certainty that this alien, ‘different’ feeling state that I’m in has been caused and is because of the use of and WD from the AD’s - because it is so different.  The fragility and risk/danger of this current period has outweighed everything.  Whilst I feel like I am fuelling a bigger fire for the future, If I make it out of this, I just feel/felt trapped into doing something to have a hope of stabilising the situation just for now.  This minute, hour, NOW.  So, on Sunday, I sat for an hour with a 10mg Fluoxetine pill in my hand...and then took it.  The first couple of days after I started to take it I actually felt better, hopeful that maybe I can do this, stabilise and do a longer taper with Prozac. Then come off everything without killing myself.   I am defeated and ashamed beyond belief, terrified of what’s to come.  Yesterday was a ‘terrible’ rage fuelled, sobbing mess.  I felt shocked and frightened.  Today I am trying to fight the thoughts of doom, panic and feel some hope.  I feel I can only distract at the moment. Not function. I am not sure what’s going to happen.  I am terrified what 10mg is doing.  (Its only a small dose  says the GP/psych 😡🤬).  On the first night of taking the 10mg I noticed that my RLS and agitation increased in the night.  Last night it was a little better.  I have the psych on Monday.  The ‘intimated plan’ though they are so vague...is that this crossover is to manage now and then reduce with liquid...I am terrified that if I say what’s really been going on she won’t provide the smaller liquid doses.  I don’t understand why she refused to do that in the last weeks and said take 10mg!!  I worry they lie and will change the goal posts.  I know there paradigm is different. They are prescribers in essence...nothing else.  

I am DESPERATE to get off the drugs, desperate to stabilise to do it. Now though, I have basically failed coming off one to be put on another.  Am I doing the right thing. I don’t know but it’s my attempt at staying alive long enough to make the changes.  Now I’ve started (5days of Prozac 10mg) is it too late to stop it, do I continue till Monday with psych appt and insist on liquid lower doses?  Do I lie about how things are? How long do I need to stay on 10mg before beginning to decrease again.  I feel so defeated.  I WANT OFF these drugs. Thanks 🙏🏻 

On 6/11/2021 at 5:43 PM, Altostrata said:

This topic explains how to make your own fluoxetine liquid. You should be able to get an oral syringe from the pharmacist or from a veterinarian (this is how they give drugs to small animals). 

SL,  I’m sorry to see you suffering so much.  I understand how scared you are, and I have been there.  It’s difficult to think clearly and make the right decisions.  It’s not to late to change course.

The above quote is the advice you will get here at SA.  If you wanted a liquid from the doctor, and she or he is too ignorant to provide it to you, the alternative is to make your own.  When Alto says 0.5, she means 0.5 for a very good reason.  Ten milligrams is almost always too much for a person whose nervous system is as sensitized as yours.  Even 1 mg can be too much.

The dose “builds up in your system” (for lack of a better analogy) over 4 days, and the effect of the first 10 mg pill should be hitting you today.  The amount you took Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and today will hit you 4 days after each dose.  So, the first few days when you felt better had little to do with the drug other than a placebo effect.  The rage you felt on Wednesday is very, very, very concerning, Scottish Lass.  That could be evidence of an adverse reaction.  What other symptoms of an adverse reaction have you had?  You should keep very detailed notes indicating the time you take the drug and any and all feelings, physical and emotional, throughout the day including how you sleep.

So, I’m wondering why you are taking 10 mg if you are terrified of what it is doing?  Are you living with your parents?  I seem to recall that is the case.  Are you taking 10 mg because you are afraid to do something other than what the doctor told you to do?  You are the person who will suffer if 10 mg is too much, not the doctor.  Your parents will not suffer directly.  Are you afraid to let them see you dissolve a pill and use a plain syringe (without a needle) to draw out the dose?  Are you afraid to admit to the doctor that you dissolved a pill?  Are you afraid that taking 0.5 mg will not help you?  

I really hope this works out for you, and you are one of those people who is lucky.  I hope 10 mg does not hurt you.  However, the only way to get to 10 mg without too much risk is to make a liquid and slowly climb to that dose while taking notes all along the way.

If I were you, I would immediately drop to 0.5 mg.  It is not too late to do that.  That is the only way to prevent the full effect that an adverse reaction can cause.  You are not dependent on 10 mg yet.  I hope you won’t take 10 suffering through “start up” symptoms until you are dependent on a dose that is doing more harm than good.

I think you are correct about the doctor not giving you a liquid when you want it.  She might be humoring your “delusions.”  She will probably tell you to double the dose if you don’t feel better Abby your next appointment.  She might tell you to do that no matter what.

Look, I’m one of those people who trusted the doctors for years and year, and all that did was cause me to become disabled, destroy my career, and put my family and me through Hell.  No one has ever studied how to prescribe to a person in your situation.  The doctors are winging it.  They have no research or protocols for prescribing to people in wd.  Your doctor may not even be aware that this is wd, but she certainly isn’t following the results of research on what to do when a person has your drug history and is suffering the way you are. — because there isn’t any! You are a guinea pig.  The least she could do is follow a harm reduction approach and start you out with 0.5 mg of liquid.  The fact that she will not do that tells me that she should not be trusted.  

That opinion is based on my experience.  I was taken off of 60 mg of Celexa and put on 10 mg of Zoloft.  It was absolutely horrible, but I kept taking it and never was the same again for 10 years and counting.  They kept raising the dose all the way to 150 mg over 5 years.

When a person is sensitized to a psychotropic medication, a dose that would not normally cause serotonin syndrome can cause SS.  Please look up the signs of SS and be aware of them so that if you have even one of them you are ready to call your doctor or seek help at the hospital.  You may some of them now as a result of WD.  Whatch fir then to get worse, more frequent or change.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/serotonin-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20354758

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• 4 weeks later...

Scottish Lass,

Are you feeling any better?  I hope so.

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hi @ScottishLass sorry I've not been in touch, hope you are okay, please let us know how you are.  

I've been tapering olanzapine and think I'm through the worst of the withdrawals now.  Planning on starting the duloxetine taper next week when I get the 20mg capsules.   

Hugs xx

2003 - 2018 Started/stopped lithium, sodium valproate, fluoxetine, venlafaxine, seroxat, citalopram and many more that I can't remember. 2018 - 120 mg Duloxetine, 20 mg Olanzapine  2019  - 60 mg Duloxetine, 20 mg Olanzapine  Feb 2020 - Quetiapine - up to 200 mg slow release, 60 mg Duloxetine, Olanzapine to 10 mgu Aug 2020 - Tapered Quetiapine far too fast under GPs advice -  withdrawal symptoms included mood swings, insomnia, anxiety, dizziness (misdiagnosed BPPV), low blood pressure - 60 mg Duloxetine, 10 mg Olanzapine

4 Mar 2021 - failed taper to 5 mg Olanzapine 20 Mar 2021 -  reinstated 10 mg Olanzapine

28 August 20216.25 Olanzapine35 mg Duloxetine - low mood/depression, insomnia withdrawal symptoms

26 August 2021 - 5 mg Nitrazepam , previously I took one 3 or 4 weeks ago;  7 October - 5 mg nitrazepam

Other meds/supplements:  solifinacin, loperimide, lutein/zeatheanin,, methyl cellulose, I also have nitrazepam, lorazepam, propranolol - I take rarely  

Hi @Rosetta 

and @rubywednesday

Thanks for checking in. I’m ok.

It’s been really quite a time.  I’m off the Duloxetine now (evil, evil drug to me) but the withdrawal was sooo traumatising and damaging to me, my relationship,  my mental health, job, finances. Quite shocking.  So unfortunately I’m now on 20mg of Prozac.  Absolutely NOT what I wanted but felt I had no option as I was in a very, very bad, agitated, suicidal state.  Fortunately finally since the end of last week things have begun to improve immeasurably.  Still some struggles but I could cry with the current relief.  I was so so frightened.  

I’m not sure what’s going to happen now on lots of levels but hopefully once im a little more stable I will then be able to begin to reduce the Prozac by 1mg every couple of months.  Hopefully I remain stable to get to that point and a long, tapered Prozac withdrawal is easier for me than stopping the Duloxetine.  

I just wish I could go back and never have been given psych drugs and this has all been a nightmare that I can wake up from.  

On a a positive note, I’m alive and more hopeful I can get out of this. 

Thanks so much x

Rosetta your messages were invaluable. Forever grateful for that support. 

SL 

You are welcome, Scottish Lass.  I’m glad my travails resulted in the ability to do something good for someone. I’m very relieved that you are feeling more stable.  Thank you for posting that.  If you feel better on Prozac, you need not be in any rush to taper.  Let your brain and nervous system rest for a long while, maybe even a year.  

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@ScottishLass I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better, long may it last.  I'm going to start my taper Of duloxetine tomorrow, hope it goes okay. 

Ruby

Hi all, 

I thought I’d do a wee update so that it is captured and may be helpful to others who may have or had a similar journey to mine.   

I am still doing ok on 20mg Prozac which unfortunately I reinstated as an alternative to manage the shocking withdrawal I had from Duloxetine.  It frightens me to look back and see where I was and how at risk I was.  There is no doubt in my mind I would have taken my life if that had continued.  All I can say is I felt backed into a corner to try something to stabilise and luckily for me Prozac has done that..............so far.  

My future plan will be attempt to withdraw from it maybe next year with a very, very slow taper.  Weighing up the side effects and disappointment of being on Prozac it far outweighs the state I was in throughout withdrawal from Duloxetine, which for me was dangerous and that drug poison to me.

I am not at all pro med and am quite anti-psychiatry in a lot of ways but I was physiologically dependant and I can’t change that so I will work with what I can.  Manipulate the drug like it manipulated me. 

I just pray that the overprescribing and misuse of AD’s changes in the future so more lives aren’t ruined or taken.   I am so thankful for the tapering advice this site provides and am in awe of all the people who contribute. 

Do whats right for you, only you know that.  I know that may seem impossible because it did for me.  I just had to leap, make a change and take a risk.  It’s not perfect and its taking a lot of work, motivation and determination for me to manage my mental health.......but that work is worth it and I’m hopeful. 

Thank you to to everyone who commmented on my thread and offered advice and support..even when I was shouting. 🙏🏻

I hope i can come back back next year or maybe sooner and document that I have tapered from Prozac in a slower, more informed, way than I did with Duloxetine and the poor advice from health services.  I’m hopeful that can and will be achievable.  

Take care all 

Thanks 🙏🏻

SL

@scottishlass I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better.  I'm no expert but I think you've done the right thing for you.  There's no rush to taper the fluoxetine, like someone said it's a marathon not a sprint. 

My duloxetine taper is going well, touch wood, maybe I won't get bad withdrawal symptoms, I'm just playing it by ear and hoping for the best.

Anyway good luck for the future and stay in touch. 

Ruby xx

@ScottishLass - I second everything @rubywednesday has said.  I am glad you are feeling better and have found some peace.  Take your time and when you are ready, you will be in a good position to taper Prozac but in the meantime enjoy stability and life.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

Hi.  No worries about Prozac.  If that worked for everyone, it would be a very welcomed development in this whole mess.  I’m really glad it worked for you.  

Please keep us updated on how it’s going.  I think hearing how well it’s working and any issues you may have before you start to taper would be valuable information for the members who are struggling after using duloxetine.

I get the impression you have very few or very mild symptoms now.  Is that correct?  

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@rubywednesday and @wantrelief thank you for your kind words ☺️  So far it was the right thing. 

@Rosetta I’ve only been on the increased dose for 16 days.    I am having side effects. First week - had a panic attack in the pharmacy 🤷‍♀️  Nothing since and anxiety, panic reduced +++🙏🏻🤞

Ongoing - 

Mild:- aches, rash on chest

Moderate:- Nausea, Diarrhea, GI, ( but I’m in an AB?)

very fatigued last couple of days and just noticing depersonalisation and numbed feelings.  RLS back at night ++and  noticing increase in that. 

Insomnia +++

All pretty annoying and the RLS  increase and general body agitation at night is a bit worrying to me.  (I’m hoping I’m just being too sensitive about concern re that?) 

Compared however  to previous state during Duloxetine withdrawal of terror, agitation, panic etc etc the improvement is immeasurable.  

Hope you are well Rosetta. X 

SL