DizzyL: Want to taper Citalopram 6 mg low dose

DizzyL

Hello all!

Thanks for accepting me here on this forum. I started Cipramil in 2019 because of altered state of mind after psychedelics, and shortly after got a balance disorder. I had problems with anxiety(GAD) and depression(dysthymia) before, but this 2 life events made it worse. I never needed antidepressants to function. The psychedelics altered my mind for a longer time. I did a lot of meditation and yoga at that time and also fueling this with psychedelics was not really a good choice. Now I know it is possible to change the structure of the brain patterns with these kind of things.  On top of it I got a balance disorder diagnosed as vestibular migraines or neurological dizziness. 

As it didn't get better within half a year, i went to a psychiatrist and I got Citalopram. Because i'm very sensitive I wanted to start slow. Thats why she gave me Cipramil. I could up my dose with 2mg at a time.  When I started medication, things got better quick.

Now 2 years later i'm  90% recovered of my balance disorder. Also my depression and anxiety slowly lifted for 80% over this time. I feel really good at this moment and i'm doing a lot of sports(which help a lot with recovery). Also eating clean and no alcohol.

Now i'm feeling this well, i'm thinking of stopping my antidepressant. I'm a bit worried this low dose helps me more than I think of, and I will return to anxiety and depression. Or is this dose so low it shouldn't be an enormous difference? I hope people can tell me more about this proces and see if it's worth the try to taper this off. I do have some sexual dysfunction on this. It's not bad but I would like to bring my libido back to normalcy. Thats one of the reasons I want to stop and I would like to see if I can do it without it. 

Thanks for responding! 

L

Edited by Gridley

Juli 2019 - Started Cipramil(Citalopram) 6mg.

No taper yet.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, DizzyL.

Whether you go off the Citalopram is your decision.  We can tell you how to do it safely and approximately how long it will take you to taper off it if you decide you want to go off.   These drugs have an enormous effect on the brain and central nervous system, and while 6mg isn't a particularly high dose, it definitely is doing something and changing your brain.  Very often it is at the low doses that the drug is the most potent.

We recommend tapering no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  This link explains why.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Citalopram, i including how to get the non-standard doses you'll need for a 10% taper.

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

Tapering strips are available in the Netherlands, and these would be a good way to taper, as long as you can get dosages that allow you to taper slowly enough.  Liquid citalopram, if available there, is another good way to taper.  If you change to a liquid, let us know so we can tell you how to make a crossover from tablet to liquid form, which is important to allow your system to acclimate to the new form.

Here are a couple of things to consider as you make your decision whether to taper off.  At some point, these psychiatric drugs generally stop working.  This is known as poop-out.  When a drug poops out, you'll have to increase the dose but eventually it will poop out again and you'll have to taper off while being in withdrawal, which is more difficult than when the drug is working.  Another

consideration is that tapering often involves some discomfort from withdrawal, depending on the individual.  If you taper slowly enough, the discomfort should be minimal.  I just finished tapering off Lexapro because I just didn't want to be on these drugs any more.  It's an individual choice.

In terms of time frame for your taper, it does take a while.  Using a 10% taper, you will reduce by one-half every six months, so in six months you'll be at 3mg, then in six more at 1.5mg, etc.  We recommend tapering down very low, into the 0.00's.  I jumped off Lexapro at 0.025.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to DizzyL: Want to taper Citalopram 6 mg low dose