elementfifty: Amitriptyline withdrawal from 75mg to 50mg

elementfifty

Hi everyone,

So a couple of years ago, I was in a really bad place with anxiety. I was prescribed amitriptyline at 75mg, which definitely helped. I also did a lot of therapy. I've been doing much better since. Around 6 months ago, I thought I'd reduce to dose of the amitriptyline, in order to reduce side effects such as tiredness. So I dropped from 75mg to 50mg overnight, and initially felt better. But around a week later I got really incredibly severe anxiety along with mood swings and insomnia. so I went back up to 75mg. However, the severe anxiety didn't go off straight away, and has been taking months to resolve. I finally feel like I'm close to the end of it now, almost back to myself. 

The question I've got is, firstly, do you think I'll continue to make a full recovery? (reassurance never hurts!) and secondly, I'm unsure how much was due to my original condition retuning and how much was due to withdrawal. There's no way of me knowing. I'm sure the amitriptyline has helped somewhat, but to this degree would seem astonishing.... If it is due to the original condition returning, well then that would mean I'd need to be on 75mg for the rest of my life :-(. My gp thinks so, he says that withdrawal from amitriptyline is impossible and he's never seen it in 25 years. What do you all think? Thanks so much in advance...

As a side note, next time I try reducing medications, I'm going to start with my herbal remedies - they also help, but have no withdrawal symptoms, so if I can't get off those, I shouldn't try the amitriptyline. And if one I am up to reducing amitriptyline, its going to be 2.5mg monthly, which will be more gentle.

Edited by Karma
Updated name
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Welcome, @elementfifty

On 4/5/2021 at 9:26 AM, elementfifty said:

But around a week later I got really incredibly severe anxiety along with mood swings and insomnia. so I went back up to 75mg. However, the severe anxiety didn't go off straight away, and has been taking months to resolve. I finally feel like I'm close to the end of it now, almost back to myself. 

This is exactly the pattern of withdrawal you'd expect from a big decrease in amitriptyline. How have your symptoms changed in the last 2 months?

On 4/5/2021 at 9:26 AM, elementfifty said:

The question I've got is, firstly, do you think I'll continue to make a full recovery? (reassurance never hurts!) and secondly, I'm unsure how much was due to my original condition retuning and how much was due to withdrawal.

It is impossible that your "original condition" is holding sway while you're taking 75mg amitriptyline and recovering from withdrawal syndrome. Your symptoms are all withdrawal.

We have not seen herbal or any supplements facilitate withdrawal, only gradual tapering. Here are our Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Please let us know how you're doing.

Edited by Karma
Updated name

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to bdavis1 Amitriptyline withdrawal from 75mg to 50mg
  • Administrator

Good to hear. Please let us know how you're doing. 

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Karma changed the title to elementfifty: Amitriptyline withdrawal from 75mg to 50mg