SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TCAs / tricyclic antidepressants reactions and Huperzine A

Kindler

Thought I'd share this in case there's anyone else suffering from tricyclic AD's.

Back at the end of October I had a severe adverse reaction to Trimipramine. Hallucinations the works. It was BAD! Doctors advice "go for a walk". Been suffering horribly since, pretty much bedridden with metal torture and fatigue.

Obviously too scared to try anything, I've been trying to wait it out. Then last weekend started to do some research.

These AD's are anticholnergic amongst other meds.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK534798/

"Anticholinergic toxicity is commonly seen in the emergency department but is rarely fatal"

"Medications with anticholinergic properties include antidepressants, antihistamines, antiparkinson drugs, antipsychotics, antispasmodics, and mydriatics"

"Treatment / Management

Supportive care is usually all that is required for the treatment of anticholinergic toxicity. The most difficult therapeutic challenge is treating the agitation that can be severe in patients with anticholinergic toxicity. Benzodiazepines administered intravenously should be the first-line therapy for agitation. This may require large doses but is necessary to avoid making symptoms such as hyperthermia and rhobdomyolysis worse. Physostigmine may be indicated in severe cases refractory to benzodiazepines"

Now Benzos are a no no for me, but was interested in physostigmine.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/physostigmine

"Physostigmine

Physostigmine (Antilirium) is an anticholinesterase administered in the management of emergence delirium occurring following the administration of scopolamine or the benzodiazepines."

So this started me thinking there maybe something natural that might ease my suffering, so more googling, and found this.

https://www.nature.com/articles/aps20061

"Huperzine A (HupA), a novel alkaloid isolated from the Chinese herb Huperzia serrata, is a potent, highly specific and reversible inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase (AChE)"

Well I ordered some, and have been taking a small amount for 3 days and WOW!!! I can't believe what a difference it's making. I feel so much better I can't get over it. Why didn't my doctor tell me about this, I'm so sick of doctors.

PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH I AM NOT A DOCTOR, JUST SHARING WHAT HELPED ME

2006 - 2009 20mg Citalopram fast taper2011 - 2016 40mg Citalopram fast taperJune 2016 10mg Valium 1 month CT
Jan 2018 40mg CitalopramFeb 2019 cymbalta for pain - too many side effectsApril - 10mg Valium for 1 month- made me depressed stopped CTJuly - 0.5mg of Xanax + Prozac, bad reaction stopped after 6 weeks CTSept - 14 days Ativan CT

October 2019 - 5mg Valium + 10mg Citalopram, too much,

December 2019 - CT Citalopram, 

February 2020 - reinstate 5mg Citalopram

April 2020 Stopped Valium CT, sart May tried to increase Citalopram to 10mg, think I OD'd 

22 June  ER visit tried to reinstate Valium, paradoxical

2 failed attempts to reinstate Citalopram 1mg and 0.5mg

20 Oct CBD oil - wave, 27 Oct 10mg trimipramine BAD IDEA

• 1 year later...

any updates? 👀

how long did you take huperzine for? and do you feel better?

2022 - cyclobenzaprine (single 5mg dose) adverse reaction (asking for a friend)

• 5 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 1:02 AM, Kindler said:

Thought I'd share this in case there's anyone else suffering from tricyclic AD's.

Back at the end of October I had a severe adverse reaction to Trimipramine. Hallucinations the works. It was BAD! Doctors advice "go for a walk". Been suffering horribly since, pretty much bedridden with metal torture and fatigue.

Obviously too scared to try anything, I've been trying to wait it out. Then last weekend started to do some research.

These AD's are anticholnergic amongst other meds.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK534798/

"Anticholinergic toxicity is commonly seen in the emergency department but is rarely fatal"

"Medications with anticholinergic properties include antidepressants, antihistamines, antiparkinson drugs, antipsychotics, antispasmodics, and mydriatics"

"Treatment / Management

Supportive care is usually all that is required for the treatment of anticholinergic toxicity. The most difficult therapeutic challenge is treating the agitation that can be severe in patients with anticholinergic toxicity. Benzodiazepines administered intravenously should be the first-line therapy for agitation. This may require large doses but is necessary to avoid making symptoms such as hyperthermia and rhobdomyolysis worse. Physostigmine may be indicated in severe cases refractory to benzodiazepines"

Now Benzos are a no no for me, but was interested in physostigmine.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/physostigmine

"Physostigmine

Physostigmine (Antilirium) is an anticholinesterase administered in the management of emergence delirium occurring following the administration of scopolamine or the benzodiazepines."

So this started me thinking there maybe something natural that might ease my suffering, so more googling, and found this.

https://www.nature.com/articles/aps20061

"Huperzine A (HupA), a novel alkaloid isolated from the Chinese herb Huperzia serrata, is a potent, highly specific and reversible inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase (AChE)"

Well I ordered some, and have been taking a small amount for 3 days and WOW!!! I can't believe what a difference it's making. I feel so much better I can't get over it. Why didn't my doctor tell me about this, I'm so sick of doctors.

PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH I AM NOT A DOCTOR, JUST SHARING WHAT HELPED ME

@Kindlerare you still using huperzine? 

Aug 2004 - Dec 2006: Aropax ( 20mg - 30mg). Aug 2007: Fluoxetine (for 3 weeks).

Sept 07 - July 12: Lexapro ( 10mg - 20mg). Pooped out July 12. Titrated down off Lexapro over 3 weeks and switched to Paroxetine (with Xanax to cover switch for 2 weeks).

Aug 2012 - Aug 2019: Paroxetine (titrated up to 20mg in first few weeks,, dose reduced to 15mg . for 7 years until it 'pooped out'.

4th Aug 2019 - Reduced dose of paroxetine to 10mg (for 1 day) - under phychiatrists directions. Last dose of paroxetine.

5th Aug 2019 - Switch to 15mg Mirtazapine.

5th Aug - 15th Aug 2019 - 15mg Mirtazapine plus intermitent use of Lorazapm (0.25- 0.5 . Also used 12.5mg Quetiapine for 3 nights for sleep.

23rd Aug 2019 - Ended up in crisis team. Mirtazapine increased to 30mg. Diazapam 10mg twice daily.

30th Aug 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 7.5mg twice daily

6th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 5mg twice daily

13th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine increased to 45mg. Diazapam increased back up to 10mg twice daily.

20th Sept - 29th Sept 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. Diazapam being reduced from 10mg down to 0mg this week (in 2mg increments couple of days).

30th Sept - Thursday 3rd Oct 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. WORST ANXIETY EVER. Akathisia. Couldn't stay still. Suicidal idealization.

Friday 4th October - present: Reduced from 45mg to 30mg (straight drop to alleviate akathisia - reduction definitely helped alot but still not gone completely)

, Vit B6, Curcumin, Magnesium (no adverse effects from adding these supplements - have helped akathisia somewhat).

* Everything done from 23rd August under care of outpatient crisis team management.

Untitled document.docx

• ChessieCat changed the title to TCAs / tricyclic antidepressants reactions and Huperzine A

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy