Kris73: Prozac cold turkey after 25+ years

Kris73

On 6/19/2021 at 8:44 PM, Gingersdoitbetter said:

I totally understand the rage you are feeling and it’s awful. I have a husband and a two year old and I snap very easily on them and then feel so horrible and guilty and depressed ... it’s so bad, but it isn’t truly us... I have to keep telling myself that and I try to walk away when I feel like boiling over which is often... sorry to hear you feel the same

@Gingersdoitbetter

Thanks for your kindness. The guilt is awful. It helps to know I'm not the only one🙏 Sending positive thoughts

Kris73

Mostly Fluoxetine since 1990/91 - February 2021, at varying dosages, however mainly 20mg.

?2016-17 was on Effexor for a short while before being swapped back to Fluoxetine.

I also recall being on other AD in the 1990's - citalopram/seroxat, always ended up back with Fluoxetine

Fluoxetine 20mg stopped 23rd Feb 2021 cold turkey

Fluoxetine liquid 1mg reinstated 24th May 2021

Other: omega 3 fish oil, 300mg magnesium, Vit D 2000 IU, cerazette, fybogel

• Moderator Emeritus

I’m glad you stopped the reinstatement. I don’t believe that you will have a withdrawal just from a brief 1 mg reinstatement. Of Course I can’t promise anything because this withdrawal thing is very unpredictable and each person is different. That’s why reinstatements work for some people but not for others.

I think your GP may be onto something about menopause. I too have been dealing with menopause along with the drug withdrawal believe me it’s no fun having those two together. But to encourage you it’s gotten much easier for me as time has gone on. 

Yes definitely look into some of the non-drug coping techniques there are many many of them. There should be a link in one of my previous posts. You can also go to the homepage and there’s a forum called symptoms and self-care. Please hang in there this is temporary I know it feels pretty rotten but this won’t go on forever.

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 1 month later...

@getofflex Hello 👋(and anyone else who might have some advice) Still struggling....

I came off reinstatement 18 June (1mg fluoxetine).

It's now approximately 6 or 7 weeks on. Still struggling with windows and waves. It seems like a pretty nasty wave of anxiety and anger/rage at present.  However, I have been stressed -away for a couple of days with friend and then parents at the weekend. I think it has overstimulated my nervous system and I guess it might take a few days to settle. Also having stress with my brother and unsure how to deal with it. I honestly think my head will explode!! The situation with one of my dogs is also very stressful ,- he has had dental work done three weeks ago, then the week after became lame, so we're having to manage him without walking him too much. I AM SO STRESSED. 

I also keep having thoughts about going back on an AD in an effort to cope plus I also keep ruminating on putting in an official complaint about the incompetent psychiatrist who advised me to go off fluox without tapering. I'M STILL SO ANGRY.

RE the menopause theory, I found out about HRT but it made me really nervous about side effects and cancer risk. However, I'm not sure how much faith I have in alternative medicine/supplements as regards the menopause issue. I'm still not even convinced this is an issue (I'm just so mixed up with everything still). I feel the menopause theory may be a bit of a smokescreen to deflect from doctors' incompetence.  Or am I dismissing a credible alternative theory. Unfortunately my rage at the medics may be colouring my thinking.....

I feel I'm in a rock and a hard place situation. I'm not sure what to do. I don't feel I can go on like this and things are really strained between my husband and myself.  

Any support and advice would be great.  I can see now having written this update that I have put myself in a few stressful situations recently!!  Plus I'm not sleeping well! Thank you all in advance ❤️

Mostly Fluoxetine since 1990/91 - February 2021, at varying dosages, however mainly 20mg.

?2016-17 was on Effexor for a short while before being swapped back to Fluoxetine.

I also recall being on other AD in the 1990's - citalopram/seroxat, always ended up back with Fluoxetine

• Moderator Emeritus

@Kris73it sounds like you have stress galore all around you. Our nervous systems already tend to be activated during antidepressant withdrawal.  Add stress to the mix, and that just compounds it. When we are stressed, that creates a flight or flight response, and adrenaline and cortisol are secreted, which further excites our nervous system even more.  Perhaps you can try and eliminate or reduce these sources of stress for a while, until you get back on your feet again. Family members can be big sources of stress.  I don't know what the situation is with your brother, but perhaps you could minimize contact with him for a while, just to help calm your nervous system.  Personally, I have had to go no contact with certain family members who were negative, toxic, and into drama to reduce my stress.  All these people were doing was bringing chaos into my life, and causing me a lot of anxiety.  I'm much less anxious since doing this.  Things being strained between your husband and yourself can also cause chronic stress.  Try your utmost to improve or get out of these stressful situations, and take it easy as much as you can.  Reducing stress may also help your sleep.  I know my sleep is affected by stress, as is most people's.  You could also consider going to counseling or therapy to help learn techniques for dealing with stress.  

Stress and Trauma During Recovery

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. It's difficult to care for an ailing pet.  

I do know that hormones can also throw off a sensitive nervous system.  I took some DHEA once, and it put me into a wave for a week or two.

Hormone Replacement Therapy

Menopause, etc.

Hang in there, and keep us posted.  I'm praying for you. I hope things settle down in your life soon.  Please know that eventually, your nervous system will heal from this withdrawal, but it takes many months to years for this to happen.  It's a good thing you are having some windows.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Hi @getofflex

Thank you for your kind and patient reply, and the links. Particularly appreciating the menopause info.  Seriously contemplating trying HRT, but need to speak to GP again, still having some concerns. I am thinking now this is a credible issue, and that I need to take some action to address it. GP did say that antidepressants could mask menopausal type symptoms and many of my current symptoms could be related to this, and not simply withdrawal. I guess it is a double whammy! I guess I struggle to work out what is withdrawal and what may be hormonal.  At the end of the day, at least there's potentially a solution to the hormonal issue.  If I had any idea that all this would happen I would not have come off antidepressants!!

Family issues are weighing heavily. My brother and I stopped talking before Christmas last year (my decision, I did not respond to his last nasty text), however, he got in touch again a week or so ago. I have been trying to decide whether to respond. I think it would be counterproductive, because he is one person with nothing but drama in his life, given he has a chronically ill wife, who has been hospitalised long term. At this point, I think any communication will increase my stress levels.  I have spent over a week thinking about the issue and I can't cope with him and the drama. 

My husband will return to work next Monday after the summer holiday. He has previously been working from home, and is around the house 99%of the time. It's not clear yet what format work will take, but I'm hoping he'll be in college a couple of days per week. He's a college lecturer and full time work from home plus the holidays has been especially tough. We'll see what next week brings.

Regarding counselling and therapy, I already attend a counsellor/psychologist and we do work on stress issues. I do learn techniques that are helpful. 

I'm so glad to have this outlet, it really helps to write down my innermost thoughts and fears in this process. I can see now that I have many stressful situations in my life at present, and am in a better position to address them. THANK YOU 🎁🎭🙏

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Kris73 said:

GP did say that antidepressants could mask menopausal type symptoms and many of my current symptoms could be related to this, and not simply withdrawal. I guess it is a double whammy! I guess I struggle to work out what is withdrawal and what may be hormonal.

I understand; I'm in the same boat.  My hot flashes are much less severe, so I'm not going to do HRT.  But your situation may be different, so I respect your decision to do what is best for you.  

My brother and I stopped talking before Christmas last year (my decision, I did not respond to his last nasty text), however, he got in touch again a week or so ago. I have been trying to decide whether to respond. I think it would be counterproductive, because he is one person with nothing but drama in his life, given he has a chronically ill wife, who has been hospitalised long term. At this point, I think any communication will increase my stress levels.  I have spent over a week thinking about the issue and I can't cope with him and the drama. 

Been there, done that, got that t-shirt.  I'll just tell you what has really helped me.  Ive had to completely block certain family members.  I've blocked them on phone, text, email, all social media.  I finally decided that I cannot continue to throw myself under the bus, just to be a punching bag for them.  I wasn't helping myself, and I wan't helping them, just enabling their sick and negative behavior.  They played mind games with me, and were on a power trip.  I actually ended up writing them a very brief letter telling them I was moving on, and why, and I was discontinuing my relationship with them, because their son was pestering my son about why they couldn't reach me.  All it was doing was causing me lots of stress and anxiety, which was firing up my nervous system, and really screwing with my WD recovery.  It wasn't loving of me to allow them to abuse me, so I stopped allowing it.  I'm not responsible for other people, only for myself.  

Regarding counselling and therapy, I already attend a counsellor/psychologist and we do work on stress issues. I do learn techniques that are helpful. 

This is very good. I'm glad to hear it.  I hope you are able to find a less stressful way to cope with your disabled puppy.  🐶

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been off Fluoxetine 20mg (cold turkey) for six months now. Tried a reinstatement in June, however, discontinued. 

Now seriously thinking of going back on Fluoxetine at some level because I'm struggling so much with withdrawal.  My daily life is hard, I struggle with motivation, brain fog, anxiety. I have heat and noise sensitivity. Plus irritability and rage. 

I'm still struggling to unpick what's going on. I swing between thinking I need HRT and going back on an antidepressant. Life is not improving much and I feel like I'm going backwards. I'm thinking about going back on fluoxetine to get a period of stability. I know there are risks, but I feel very stuck.  

I struggle with lack of feeling plus also a difficulty with thinking and even identifying how I feel on any given day, except "angry" or "irritable" or "anxious" there's no colour only grey. I know also that life isn't always about highs and there have to be lows. But this rollercoaster is too hard. I know about being careful what you wish for, but at the moment, the risk feels like it might be worth it to get out of the funk. It's so strange, feeling flat but also having a desire for things to change.  I know this doesn't make much sense, but @getofflexI'd really appreciate some feedback and support. I'm so confused, but just been reading a story about someone who has reinstated with a view to tapering and am wondering if this might be a viable option for me. Just feel so low.....

thanks

What am I thinking?! I'm so mixed up. Why would I want to go back on a drug I think has damaged my brain? 

I'm so confused, and exhausted with it all. 

• Mentor
8 minutes ago, Kris73 said:

What am I thinking?! I'm so mixed up. Why would I want to go back on a drug I think has damaged my brain? 

Hi Kris73

Your anxious mind is telling you that you should reinstate--its looking for a way out of your cycle of negative thinking.  Reinstating isn't my area of specialty, so I'll defer to others with more expertise to advise you.  I think you realize your thinking is being affected by WD and that clouds our decision-making.  During my WD journey, there were many times when I wanted to reinstate, but I didn't.  That turned out to be the right decision for me, but each of us must make our own.  The one thing I can promise you is that if you keep your focus on recovery and use your coping skills, you will come out of this!

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/18/2021 at 12:10 AM, Kris73 said:

Hi @getofflex

I definitely feel worse overall

The above was in response to my question about whether you felt better, the same, or worse since the reinstatement of Prozac.  Therefore, I doubt that going back on the drug will help you. 

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Kris73 said:

Now seriously thinking of going back on Fluoxetine at some level because I'm struggling so much with withdrawal

Since you had a poor reaction to the Fluoxetine reinstatement on May 24, I seriously doubt that going back on it will help you with WD.  It is only natural when you feel so bad to want to find a quick fix.  I totally get that.  I've had days where I would have done anything to stop the pain I was in.  However, this is likely to just prolong the pain further.  

5 hours ago, Kris73 said:

I'm glad you are rethinking this.  Please take a look at the link in my original post for non drug ways of coping with symptoms.  In the meantime, this thread may help you to gain some perspective. 

Are We There Yet - How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take

I second what @mstimcsaid above.  

Also, here is some information on acceptance.  When we don't accept something unpleasant, it adds another layer of pain and suffering to the original problem, because it adds even more anger, frustration, fear, and anxiety to the mix, and this can create a downward spiral.  The 2 keys to recovering from AD WD are time and patience.  That is the secret to getting free from the chains of dependency on psychiatric meds.  

https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/radical_acceptance_text.html

Also, read some of the success stories to help you have more hope and encouragement.  Go to the home page, and they are about halfway down. Please keep in touch, and hang in there.  This will eventually come to an end. 

Edited by getofflex

Hi @Kris73 I'm really sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I really wish I could give you some advice on your current situation with the withdrawal symptoms but I reinstated! So it would be hypocritical of me to try and offer you advice on the subject. I did have those symptoms of rage when I come off the medication, crying at everything, emotional wreck then the suicide ideology (like a really intense intrusive thought) I was taking Sertraline not Prozac but still the same side effects. 

I want to send you comfort and strength with this message! I have found on this site with us all being in the same place or have experienced these thoughts and symptoms we give each other hope and comfort when 1 of us replies to one another 😁 

I'm only echoing what the others have said here having read a lot of the articles on the symptoms of withdrawal like @mstimc said the medication gave us some form of release in the past which our brain fixates on, with the medication then out of our system and our body going into chaos the brain tells us that the medication is the solution << I understand this now I didn't before.

I know life is really difficult to start with and change doesn't always seem like a easy thing to do but since I reinstated i'm trying to look at life a little differently, I am waiting to get CBT therapy, have been meditating daily, write a daily journal so I can look back over the week or whenever and see my progress no mater how small it it is, reading (audible) self help books on coping mechanisms, changing daily habits, I eat clean cut out the alcohol. one day at a time its still all new but its all positive!

I Hope this message brings you some form of comfort to know you are not alone! 😊

2001 - 2011 Paroxetine, Propranolol, Venlafaxine X2, Citalopram.

Sertraline 2011 - Sept 2020 100mg-50mg Sertraline.

Sept 2020 Fast taper, Effectively cold turkey ended with crashing in July 2021.

July - Sept 2021 uptake to 50mg Sertraline.

Started taper October 2nd 2021.

2nd October 2021, 47.5mg - November 2023, 7.8mg. 

Cold water treatment, Ice baths and Cold showers 3/4 times a week. Breath work daily (for different scenarios). Healthy balanced diet. Walking in nature. Gym. Playing the piano. Meditating 🙏🏼

On 8/29/2021 at 10:00 PM, UkDave said:

Hi @Kris73 I'm really sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I really wish I could give you some advice on your current situation with the withdrawal symptoms but I reinstated! So it would be hypocritical of me to try and offer you advice on the subject. I did have those symptoms of rage when I come off the medication, crying at everything, emotional wreck then the suicide ideology (like a really intense intrusive thought) I was taking Sertraline not Prozac but still the same side effects. 

I want to send you comfort and strength with this message! I have found on this site with us all being in the same place or have experienced these thoughts and symptoms we give each other hope and comfort when 1 of us replies to one another 😁 

I'm only echoing what the others have said here having read a lot of the articles on the symptoms of withdrawal like @mstimc said the medication gave us some form of release in the past which our brain fixates on, with the medication then out of our system and our body going into chaos the brain tells us that the medication is the solution << I understand this now I didn't before.

I know life is really difficult to start with and change doesn't always seem like a easy thing to do but since I reinstated i'm trying to look at life a little differently, I am waiting to get CBT therapy, have been meditating daily, write a daily journal so I can look back over the week or whenever and see my progress no mater how small it it is, reading (audible) self help books on coping mechanisms, changing daily habits, I eat clean cut out the alcohol. one day at a time its still all new but its all positive!

I Hope this message brings you some form of comfort to know you are not alone! 😊

I so identify with what you are saying here @UkDave and @mstimc I'm so fixated on "fixing" myself. Therein lies the urge to recommence the medication. It's cruel. I wish I could content myself somehow. But it's difficult when you don't work or have much more in your life to begin with! Having said that I do have two dogs to look after! But with my husband still working from home, he can still do a lot of the pet care 

I'm currently in a bit of a wave with anxiety. I can be my own worst enemy, saying I'll do certain things then regretting it! It's difficult to fill my time and focus on more positive things. I'm sorry it took a while to get back to this thread, but it can be so difficult to form the thoughts that best describes how I'm feeling at any given time. 

I also had a brief look at radical self-acceptance, but this will be a longer endeavour, I'm afraid, given my brain fog.  Still feel like I'm going round in circles, especially with other health issues 

Thanks again🙏, @getofflexfor your recent input 😊

• Mentor

Kris, you don't have to fix yourself because there is nothing wrong with you.  Our brains are wired a bit differently from others, so that makes us feel anxiety more acutely.  But we can still be kind, intelligent, compassionate and valuable members of society.  Just take one thing at a time, starting with knowing you can recover if you practice some self-care and coping strategies.  What would you say to a friend who is having difficulty?  Of course you would be supportive.  Use that same kind of compassion and understanding on yourself.  And you can always come here for support.  You can do this!

Tim C

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Kris73 said:

I'm so fixated on "fixing" myself. Therein lies the urge to recommence the medication. It's cruel.

It sounds like you have some good insight into yourself.  That is how people get trapped on these drugs permanently.  Personally, I think one of the keys to getting off this drug merry go round is good ole fashioned toughness.  We have to be willing to endure pain and suffering, and stubbornly refuse to jump back on the drugs.  (I'm not talking about a small reinstatement to reduce symptoms.). Many years ago people endured so much - childbirth with no pain killers or drugs, the early settlers in the USA traipsing across the country in just covered wagons for months, etc.  Nowadays with so many conveniences and labor saving devices, we have lost some of that toughness.  

If you can tolerate me being on a soapbox for a minute, here is a post I wrote about this: 

Tough it Out

Two big keys to recovery from this are time and patience.  A third key is endurance.

On 6/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, mstimc said:

Hi Kris

Yes, CBT, but that covers a lot of ground, from intentional catastrophizing to friendly self-talk.  I also use mindfulness and present-thinking.  My object was to create and maintain a "toolbox" of coping strategies to use when needed.  If one thing isn't working, I can use something else. 

From your posts, it sounds like one of your sticking points is anticipatory anxiety--thinking about what might go wrong until it becomes a new reality.  Intentional catastrophizing  is a good tool to use for this--thinking about all the things that can go wrong until you bring them to their final and absurd conclusion.  

I'm on my way out for a couple hour, but I'd be happy to go into more detail if you want specific information.

Hi @mstimcreread this post this morning, and am interested in the idea of a "toolbox" for coping with the WD rollercoaster. If you have time, can you point me in the right direction? Yesterday"anticipatory anxiety" got the better of me. I was supposed to be going to a demo (aware also that this is a stimulating endeavour, and possibly not ideal in the interests of reducing anxiety) and all my thinking the night before put me off totally and I cancelled. Now this was probably for the best given the stimulation of the nervous system it would involve. But I feel I need some techniques for everyday things I am struggling with, like getting to the shops. I also would like to attend a local yoga class and need thought therapy, because I find it all to easy to discourage myself through what you've described as "anticipatory anxiety". Which I think I suffer dreadfully from at present!!!

Any information you could provide will be gratefully received.

Hope you have a great day☀️❤️🙏

• Mentor

Good Morning Kris!

I think the best sources for coping tools are a couple of books I've turned to several times.  One book, the Feel Good Handbook, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=feel+good+handbook+david+burns&crid=20BNL5WHBRM82&sprefix=feel+good+han%2Caps%2C389&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_13.  It was one of the first books on CBT but its been updated regularly.  I like it because it has spaces for you to write your responses to questions, and the advice on practicing coping skills is easy to understand.  The other book is Everyday Mindfulness for OCD: https://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Mindfulness-OCD-Tricks-Joyfully/dp/1626258929/ref=sr_1_1?crid=229ZL1CP2XT9P&dchild=1&keywords=everyday+mindfulness+for+ocd&qid=1630834556&sprefix=everyday+mind%2Caps%2C384&sr=8-1.  Even though you may not have OCD, the book is perfect for practicing ERP (Exposure Response Prevention) for things like anticipatory anxiety and fear of going out.  It also emphasizes practicing self-kindness, which is huge in recovery.

Just as an example that may be useful to you, the OCD book helps you practice "Doing What You Came to Do".  So for fear of going out, you create a short affirmation statement like "I'm going to go to the demo and see what I came to see".  When you feel the fear of stressing out start to creep in, you repeat the affirmation to yourself until it crowds out the fearful thinking.  

Most of the coping techniques are simple but you have to commit to practicing them and keep it at even when you're in a wave.  But over time they will replace the negative thought cycles with more positive ones.  Let me know how you're doing!

Tim C

Many thanks!!☺️

• Mentor

Hi Kris

Just checking in--how are you doing?

Tim C

Hi @mstimc

Thanks for asking. I'm up and down. Yesterday was quite a good day (bit of a window) my Feeling Good Handbook arrived yesterday. In a reasonably good/positive frame of mind.  Lots of meditation and I did the John Kabat Zinn body scan them watched on YouTube "a monks five tips for the morning". This set me up for the day. Unfortunately it's not always possible to do so much of these good things. 

Sleep not so great and I'm not so good today. Anxiety levels high. Inside my chest feels like it's "fizzing" I get strange feelings in different parts of my body, like a weak fluttery or numb feeling.

Still "craving" / thinking about antidepressants alot and ruminating on how I used to be when on them. Yes they may make you numb, but I keep thinking it may be preferable to heightened anxiety and lack of sleep. I used to sleep alot, but never put it down to the antidepressant. I also have a diagnosis of MS and I just thought it was MS fatigue. How the scales have fallen from my eyes.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to ask how I'm doing. I hope you are well 😊

• Mentor

Hi Kris

Thanks for getting back to me!  Experiencing ups and downs is normal and expected in WD and recovery.  I'm not the resident expert on reinstating but I can share my experience.  When I first started WD, I tapered way too fast because I had no guidance.  Tried again and had the same result.  Finally, I found a site like this and started a proper taper.   I've got lots of experience communicating with people in all stages of WD and from a wide spectrum of use, from cold turkey to micro tapers over years.  I've seen people from each group recover over various levels of time and intensity.   But anyone can recover.  I think frame of mind and attitude is the most important factor.  As long as you stay focused on recovery, you'll make it.  

Tim C

I guess I have a lot of residual anger regarding my CT. No guidance or offer of tapering from the psychiatrist. And I believed him. More fool me. Life lessons....

I'm glad you made it to a good place. This is inspiring.  Thank goodness for Surviving Antidepressants and people like you who can pass on their wisdom. 🙏

@AddaxHi Addax how your stomach and gastrointestinal problems after you stop fluoxetine  ?

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

Dear Kris,

How are you doing now? I just wanted to say I, too, experienced sever episodes of rage when I came off 20mg of prozac over only 2 months back in 2015. It was truly terrifying. I once found myself screaming out loud and having to smack a towel on the floor as I felt a strong physical need to release the rage. That attempt to come off Prozac failed. After 7 months of terrible withdrawal, mainly anxiety, I was facing the breakdown in my marriage so went back on. I've been tapering again since April 2020 and was ok until April this year, but now at 2.4mg, the withdrawal is almost destroying my life again. Just wanted tor each out and see how you're doing. 

Sending healing and light your way.

Nov 1998 : 20mg Prozac

Feb 2003: cold turkey reinstated 20mg April

March 2008: cold turkey reinstated 20mg September 

March 2009: cold turkey reinstated 20mg in Sept 2009 

September 2015: 20mg to 0mg over 2 months, Reinstated 02/16

End April 2020: taper from 20mg to 18mg, early June 18mg to 16mg, September 13th, started 13mg.

Jan 2021 at 6mg, May at 4mg, July 2.5mg   

July 13th 2021: single 10mg dose, Return to 2.5mg next day

August 4th, 5th, 6th 2021: reinstate to 3.5mg before going back to 2.4mg

October 11th 2021: up to 10mg, Oct 12th up to 20mg

Nov 10th-16th 2021: 10mg (doctor suggestion)

Nov 17th 2021 to present: 20mg

Hi there

Thanks for sharing your experience. I too am suffering dreadfully with anxiety. I'd say the rage has abated, somewhat, but not to say it won't rear it's ugly head again.  I am just over six months off after psychiatrist said just to stop taking it after I said I wanted to come off after approx thirty years! How can they possibly think there will be no adverse effects after this length of time!

So conflicted about restarting, but I don't know how much longer I can hold. I'm trying to keep my nervous system calm with meditation and have a book for CBT. But the anxiety is dreadful at times. I do sit with it, but nobody should have to live like this!

How long were you on 20mg? The other issue I have is, I don't know who I am! Started on Prozac probably late teens after a nervous breakdown. It's like I am developmentally stuck. 

It's interesting to know that even after tapering for a year you still get problems. I also feel if I go back on I'd probably need to stay on for life. A rock and a hard place. But for all that, maybe it's better to see life unmedicated and as it really is. But it's so very hard.

Thanks again for reaching out 🙂.  I hope things get better soon 🙏

Dear Kris,

Oh wow...your experience is so similar to mine! I would so love to talk to you on the phone. Are we allowed to share contact details here? I've been on Prozac since I was 18 (am now 41). I was put on when I first started studying at Oxford (some depression and comfort eating that just required some counselling). I did not know any better and am so angry at the doctor who just sent me off with pills that would change my life, possibly irreversibly. I feel I don't know who I am as an adult as I have always been medicated. I came of CT a number of times and had terrible reactions which doctors said were my disease coming back. I was so, so ignorant and trusting. Like you, I am utterly torn about about to do. And I'm not even at zero yet, still taking 2.4mg. This experience is a living hell and I don't know how long I can keep going. I fear that going back on might not work, and also that eventually it will stop working and then I will have to face all this all over again. I'm alone living in a foreign country and feel like everything rests on my shoulders. I'm considering inpatient treatment as I can barely cope. If you would like to talk I would be so, so grateful. 

Nov 1998 : 20mg Prozac

Feb 2003: cold turkey reinstated 20mg April

March 2008: cold turkey reinstated 20mg September 

March 2009: cold turkey reinstated 20mg in Sept 2009 

September 2015: 20mg to 0mg over 2 months, Reinstated 02/16

End April 2020: taper from 20mg to 18mg, early June 18mg to 16mg, September 13th, started 13mg.

Jan 2021 at 6mg, May at 4mg, July 2.5mg   

July 13th 2021: single 10mg dose, Return to 2.5mg next day

August 4th, 5th, 6th 2021: reinstate to 3.5mg before going back to 2.4mg

October 11th 2021: up to 10mg, Oct 12th up to 20mg

Nov 10th-16th 2021: 10mg (doctor suggestion)

Nov 17th 2021 to present: 20mg

• Mentor
43 minutes ago, Kris73 said:

I also feel if I go back on I'd probably need to stay on for life. A rock and a hard place. But for all that, maybe it's better to see life unmedicated and as it really is. But it's so very hard.

Yes, it is hard, Kris.  As I'm sure you've seen in other threads, we generally say reinstating is a personal choice.  Its also a gamble that medication will be effective in calming your symptoms.  During my own WD and taper, I was tempted to reinstate several times but decided it was in my best long-term interest to stay off the meds.  Some days it seemed hopeless, especially when other people seemed to be recovering faster than me, but I did eventually recover.  One thing I did was "reverse engineer" my recovery.  I decided I would recover, and just had to find the best method for me.  If one thing didn't work, I tried something else. A combination of CBT, therapy, and group support was the right mix for me.  You need to do what works for you, but you will find the right path!

Tim C

Yes I have to say the reason I haven't gone back on is I'm afraid it won't work/ may make things worse! I am generally terrified of most doctor prescribed medications now, because I now know how much of a double edged sword they are. Reverse engineering, I like it! 

On 9/5/2021 at 7:43 AM, Kris73 said:

Hi @mstimcI also would like to attend a local yoga class and need thought therapy, because I find it all to easy to discourage myself through what you've described as "anticipatory anxiety"

☀️❤️🙏

PS @mstimcI did almost make it to yoga this morning. Looked out my mat and got ready, unfortunately the found it was cancelled at short notice. I'm going on Saturday instead. I did give myself a hard time getting psyched up, but used the "I'm going to do what I came to do" technique when all the negative thoughts started🙂

• Mentor
1 minute ago, Kris73 said:

Looked out my mat and got ready, unfortunately the found it was cancelled at short notice. I'm going on Saturday instead. I did give myself a hard time getting psyched up, but used the "I'm going to do what I came to do" technique when all the negative thoughts started🙂

That's such great news, Kris--congratulations!  I think you'll enjoy yoga.  My wife and I do via a couple of different online classes.  I think you'll find it very helpful for body, mind and spirit.  To be honest, I didn't want to get into yoga because it seemed "out there" and I'm not very limber, but they have really helped.  We are still very much beginners, but I find the motions help me focus on my body and really take my attention from any anxious thinking.  As I'm sure you know, anxiety can make our bodies and muscles tense, and the gentle exercise is very relaxing and calming.  I've very much added it to my CBT-ERP toolbox.  I think you'll really enjoy it!👍 

Tim C

@Kris73 You dont have vivid dreams withdrawal ??

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

Hi @PsychologicalSafe15 no I don't suffer vivid dreams with dreams with WD. I don't seem to dream at all, or if I do, I don't remember them. It's always been this way....

Do you have any gastrointestinala issues after stopping it  ? like some sorts of gases in stomach ,bloating..?? @Kris73

@PsychologicalSafe15no, only GI symptom was/is constipation, and unsure if due to withdrawal, as a long standing issue probably related to IBS

2 minutes ago, Kris73 said:

@PsychologicalSafe15no, only GI symptom was/is constipation, and unsure if due to withdrawal, as a long standing issue probably related to IBS

so is it fine now ?? How long did it take for IBS to dissapeare ?

• 2 weeks later...

Really struggling, finding I may be in a wave, noting some rage back on the scene yesterday.

I'm so tired, can't stay awake beyond 8pm, waken 12pm, then it's a struggle, hit or miss whether I get any more sleep. During the day I am fatigued and lacking motivation to do anything. Also apart from the instance of rage last night I am very flat, emotionless and slowed down (especially thinking). I feel like a zombie.

Anxiety is also spiking. I have elthea capsules for this and they are a bit helpful, if only I could stop the constant thoughts and find some distraction...I can't go on like this, it's destroying me. At present I am severely regretting coming off fluoxetine and hankering after the "old me". Was it really so bad? 

Thinking again and ruminating about antidepressants, but I know this will probably not help, but the temptation is there....

Just need a moan to people who understand