Nikki

Anonymity

Nikki

Someone from another site I was a member of had the gaul to talk about Withdrawal on my Facebook page. I hide the post and unsubscribed from this person.

A few months back without my permission or knowledge this person signed me onto a Facebook Drug Withdrawal Group which appeared on my Home Page and Timeline. I got myself out of the group right quick by blocking them.

That was twice. I think I am going to block this person, so this doesn't happen again.

I don't have a problem with revealing what happens from trying to get off these meds, or my story.....on my terms only.

Nikki

Barbarannamated

ABSOLUTELY !! I would be LIVID!! I keep very tight controls on my Facebook page, to the extent that nobody can post publicly. I've had security issues.

How did they sign you up without your knowledge?

I'm sorry that happened, Nikki.

Nikki

There are certain apps where you add a persons name to. "So Many Books, So Little Time" is one of them. Not a problem, how he did the WD, well I guess it was the same way.

FB changes controls every day it seems.

Barb...I don't have a problem with a friend sharing with someone they know going thr a medication ishoo (Strawberry :D ). It's how we get the word out and help another person who is suffering.

I have had friends ask me if a friend of theirs could call me ~ and ~ the answer is always YES. I will never forget the desperation I've experienced.

However-Facebook is huge no-no. Perspective employers run checks on FB.

Hugs

Barbarannamated

I don't do Apps, Games, any of that. I think I turned all of those platforms off so people cant even request than I participate. There was too much data mining and "networking" going on. That all is very creepy, for lack of a better word. The facial recognition in photos - bad news.

Now im remembering why I got away from Facebook. :(

Anything I put in there (or others put about me) is permanent, even if it's erased from a page or profile. I'm not really concerned about employment anymore, but I dislike the BigBrother aspect of the entire internet.

Another thing that's disturbing... many of my friends rely on Facebook messaging and no longer use regular email. I've told them several times - I do not use FB messaging unless it's something trivial. Those messages become the property of Facebook. Email providers may not be more secure but they feel a bit safer to me.

I'm sorry that happened, Nikki. That was profoundly bad judgment on that person's part.

Nikki

Did I spell annonymity incorrectly????? :o :o

Barb I use the name Nikki, it's not my real name. It is Celeste.

Annonymity is a big thing in 12 step programs.

I did go into FB and change my settings so only friends could view my info.

On this site, it is purely about helping and being helped so I don't worry about annonymity here.

((hugs))

Barbarannamated

LOL!! I had to check... your spelling was right. I hate when that happens. Look at it long enough and it does look wrong! Thanks for chuckle. :)

Now I forget what your message said!

Nikki

Okay not I am really confused.....which is the correct spelling???

LOL

Barbarannamated

The original - anonymity. IF my spellcheck is to be trusted. ;)

strawberry17

It's a bit late for me as having a blog I have played a bit fast and loose and people do share things with me on Facebook about withdrawal/drugs. Strangely, although I have my personal FB account, I have a seperate FB page for my blog, but I still get a lot of crossover, people read my blog and send me a personal FB friend request rather than go on the page but I really don't mind, think I'm beyond worrying too much about it now. I've only ever had one negative reaction, with a close relative (on AD's) who got upset but we made up, apart from that it's all been fine. I work in a small team of people and most of them know about my past problems and taper and a couple of them follow me on twitter, my small team works for a local authority/large organisation who make all the right noises about being positive about mental elf ishoos (that last bit was for you Nikki :D )

strawberry17

I try to be very careful with other people not to discuss their withdrawal openly on FB unless they start an open conversation, as although I've been a bit fast and loose I am very aware that others want to be private.

starlitegirlx

I have no contact with people online except in a anonymous forum such as this. I learned years ago how people are online. Not like us. There are those that take things too far and those that lie and manipulate. I avoid all of it as I find it always brings drama and at this point in my life, I aim to reduce drama. I also aim to limit contact to those whom I trust. Generally, not online people at all with the exception of a group like this. Most people use online as a way to act in ways they never would in RL. They hide behind the screen and do as they please then act as if it doesn't exist (online) or that it never happened.

In my case, having limited contact with the real world and online has served me very, very well.

GiaK

I've had to create totally private worlds so that I can have some privacy...the internet is the only place I "see" human beings. I now very carefully construct the worlds in which I inhabit...

firewalls and boundaries...

for my own wellbeing. and it is totally possible to create lovely, safe spaces that are nurturing and supportive...

though I've come out with my real name, I still have created private spaces for me and special friends and colleagues...when I'm no longer home bound that may change but for now it's a life saver.

Shanti

That was pretty poor judgment. I don't have any friends from the support groups on my FB. But I do talk openly about it. That's something for us to decide, not someone else. I just noticed that face identifying thing on FB yesterday. I turned it off. I was thinking that I should've been informed of such a thing! I only happened to see it when going over my settings for something else. I'm very particular and intolerant on FB about drama. I don't hesitate to delete drama people. Even my own family. It's my environment I want to create for myself.